Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No, I'm very interested, but have noticed that after a lot of enthusiasm pre arrival, I hadn't seen any great love for the car being reported after purchase. Just wondering how people really feel about it. Not whether there's anything wrong with it, but do you love it, are you happy with it.
    Very relevant for a prospective buyer.

The same goes for the vast majority of products. They always say that an unhappy customer will tell 5 people what's wrong whereas a happy customer may tell one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rob5156

but do you love it, are you happy with it.

Love it - no, but just because it is still only a car

Happy with it - yes, fulfilled all my expectations so far & value for money is good in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

No, I'm very interested, but have noticed that after a lot of enthusiasm pre arrival, I hadn't seen any great love for the car being reported after purchase. Just wondering how people really feel about it. Not whether there's anything wrong with it, but do you love it, are you happy with it.

It's a VW hatchback which happens to be electric - I guess you're not going to get the same enthusiasm as you see from the Tesla posse. People do seem very happy with them though from reading through here and YouTube reviews - I don't think anyone has regretted buying one. It's certainly on my shortlist for next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Very happy with it so far!

I can't really call how it will work for me on long journeys, because of Covid, but I don't see it being anything but a pleasure on a very long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I guess that's always the way with the hype train for new products, you only hear about the good before release and the flaws start to show afterwards. It's not like anyone from VW was saying "hold on everyone, it's just a car, let's not get carried away here"

To provide as best an answer as I can, my mum bought an ID.3 1st Plus and she's enjoying it so far. About her only complaint is that it sits idle in her driveway most of the time because of lockdown. The fact that she wants to go drive it is about as good a review as you can get

As for whether people love the car, a lot of that is really up to your own expectations. If you get into any car expecting a dream machine that will make rainbows and unicorns appear every time you open the door, then you might be disappointed

Actually if that ever did happen, you would be well advised not to go driving at that particular moment :)

However, when a car turns out to be more than you expected, and makes you want to drive around just for the fun of it, then that's probably a car you're going to enjoy owning

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Question - have the software updates change anything related to regen and creep?

A) hate creep - the user should have an option to turn it off (Tesla Model 3, Hyundai have this)

B) love full regen and one pedal driving - the user should have an option to adjust this (tesla model 3, Hyundai have this)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

McGiver wrote: »
    A) hate creep - the user should have an option to turn it off (Tesla Model 3, Hyundai have this)

Before the updates it had the "Auto hold" feature which you can turn on/off. So once you stop, it holds until you hit the accelerator again.
    B) love full regen and one pedal driving - the user should have an option to adjust this (tesla model 3, Hyundai have this)

I dont believe that has changed. They should make it an option but their implementation is better than full regen anyway, in my opinion. It adjusts regen dynamically based on upcoming bends, radar sensing vehicles in front and the speed you are doing..... one pedal driving is a balls of a job as it just "slams on the brakes" when you take your foot off. I prefer it to coast when I take my foot off and if there is a car/bend ahead it adjusts regen dynamically to suit. It generally gets it right, but not always.

I prefer the way VW have done it, but each to their own there.

KCross wrote:
    Before the updates it had the "Auto hold" feature which you can turn on/off. So once you stop, it holds until you hit the accelerator again.
    Hmm, that's not the same at all. That's still creep, but better than nothing. Creep is an archaic stuff. Automatic petrol car like :)
    KCross wrote:
    I dont believe that has changed. They should make it an option but their implementation is better than full regen anyway, in my opinion. It adjusts regen dynamically based on upcoming bends, radar sensing vehicles in front and the speed you are doing..... one pedal driving is a balls of a job as it just "slams on the brakes" when you take your foot off. I prefer it to coast when I take my foot off and if there is a car/bend ahead it adjusts regen dynamically to suit. It generally gets it right, but not always.
    Right, I see.
    I don't want only dynamic radar stuff but full control of regen with one pedal.
    I know it's a personal preference but to be honest with ya, Tesla and BMW know what they're doing. Why would you use two pedals if you can use only one, let the machine do the work. Two pedal driving is archaic. The whole point of EV is one pedal driving. Even Nissan understood this.
    I suspect VW tried to emulate ICE to attract ICE drivers. Too conservative for me.

Too weak regen and options thereof were mentioned in ID3 reviews.

These two things put me off really. I was hoping they'd add an option for regen behaviour with the updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Hmm, that's not the same at all. That's still creep, but better than nothing. Creep is an archaic stuff. Automatic petrol car like :)

Right, I see.
    I know it's a personal preference but to be honest with ya, Tesla and BMW know what they're doing. Why would you use two pedals if you can use only one, let the machine do the work. Two pedal driving is archaic. The whole point of EV is one pedal driving. Even Nissan understood this.
    I suspect VW tried to emulate ICE to attract ICE drivers. Too conservative for me.

These two things put me off really. I was hoping they'd add an option for regen behaviour with the updates...

Chris from battery life said that VW is not going to change the regen and the current level regen in brake mode is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Do you contact the dealer about the 2.1 update or do you wait to be contacted?
    Have many people got it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Right, I see.

There is B Mode which gives a stronger regen, similar to about the second level of regen in our Ioniq 28.
    VW apparently don't want any stronger level, the car being rear wheel drive and the possibility of losing traction on slippery roads. Do other RWD cars offer stronger regen than "B"? I don't know.

FWIW I also love the way the ID.3 free wheels unless a bend, speedlimit other car etc necessitates you to slow up. It is so smooth. And stronger regen is always available on the brake pedal if you wish..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Johnfred wrote: »

I phoned the dealer about mine and got it done last Friday. They can only do 1 a day, so don't wait for them to call you. Give them a call.
    Liking the Android Auto, and it definitely seems more efficient. (Could be the warmer weather though)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I called my local dealer and booked for next Monday. Arranged a replacement car, just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

I was doing a bit of driving on the N7 today with ACC on. I had a couple of instances where the car incorrectly detected the speed limit as 60km/hr (from an exit road) and then starting breaking so as to reduce my speed down from 100km/hr. I had to turn off ACC and wait a minute or so for it to recognise the limit as 100km/hr again. Anyway to disable this? Even if it's everytime you drive like the annoying lane assist feature.

Chris from battery life said that VW is not going to change the regen and the current level regen in brake mode is here to stay.

Too bad. Clearly targeting the ICE drivers.

If they were smart they'd make one pedal an option just like Tesla or Nissan (I believe you can turn it off in Leaf 40). Then every sort of driver would be happy.

Too bad. Clearly targeting the ICE drivers.

If they were smart they'd make one pedal an option just like Tesla or Nissan (I believe you can turn it off in Leaf 40). Then every sort of driver would be happy.

Have you driven the ID3 yet?

Why is that still creep?
    You come to a stop and it stays put until you want to move again... no creep there? :confused:
    Right, I see.
    I know it's a personal preference but to be honest with ya, Tesla and BMW know what they're doing. Why would you use two pedals if you can use only one, let the machine do the work.

Its not just radar, it also senses corners on the road in advance.
    Their implementation is still mainly one pedal. When you want to come to a complete stop you do have to press the brake for that last bit but other than that its one pedal.

Two pedal driving is archaic.

Nah, 3 pedal driving is archaic!.... 2 or 1 pedal is a preference.

The car lurching when I take my foot off the pedal and having to constantly feather it is not my preference anyway so I'm glad it is the way it is! :)
    The whole point of EV is one pedal driving.
    Why? Again, its a preference. There isnt just one way to drive.

Most of the reviews do say that alright but none of them seem to understand the dynamic regen at all and never mention it.

You need to drive one. Then you'll understand.
    I'm sure you'd still prefer the one-pedal since you are so adamant on it but its not really as bad as the reviews say.

Indeed. We've got to look forward to that now that OTA updates are finally enabled! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

My car has decided in the last couple of weeks that Henry street Limerick, right in front of the Garda station is a 100km/h zone. The first time it happened ACC was on and it took off like a rocket past the parked squad cars. I was ready for it next time and kept it on manual but could still see the 100 sign indicated on the display

My car has decided in the last couple of weeks that Henry street Limerick, right in front of the Garda station is a 100km/h zone. The first time it happened ACC was on and it took off like a rocket past the parked squad cars. I was ready for it next time and kept it on manual but could still see the 100 sign indicated on the display

You use cruise control in a city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I was doing a bit of driving on the N7 today with ACC on. I had a couple of instances where the car incorrectly detected the speed limit as 60km/hr (from an exit road) and then starting breaking so as to reduce my speed down from 100km/hr. I had to turn off ACC and wait a minute or so for it to recognise the limit as 100km/hr again. Anyway to disable this? Even if it's everytime you drive like the annoying lane assist feature.

You can turn off the reading of road signs in the menu. I don't remember which setting. I too found ACC a pain before I turned this off. It would slow down passing some exits or under other roads.

Once turned off it does remember this from drive to drive - unlike the lane keep assist. Though once off you have to use + - to adjust ACC speed. Minor inconvenience for not having the odd random slow-down!

EDIT: I think it is the "Speed limit preview" setting you need to toggle under on the ACC tab. Chris from Battery Life explains it here:

https://youtu.be/D2inSQ7Q_EU?t=1435

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

coward wrote: »
    You can turn off the reading of road signs in the menu. I don't remember which setting. I too found ACC a pain before I turned this off. It would slow down passing some exits or under other roads.

Once turned off it does remember this from drive to drive - unlike the lane keep assist. Though once off you have to use + - to adjust ACC speed. Minor inconvenience for not having the odd random slow-down!

Good to know, thanks. The unexpected slowdowns on the motorways have been annoying me too (and the drivers behind me i bet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You use cruise control in a city?

I haven’t been able to leave the city in months so have to entertain myself somehow.

The local dealer was to test the upgrade their demo car this week so hopefully I can get a slot soon. I’m still on the original software and haven’t had any major issues so far but I’m looking forward to getting CarPlay

eagerv wrote:
    There is B Mode which gives a stronger regen, similar to about the second level of regen in our Ioniq 28. VW apparently don't want any stronger level, the car being rear wheel drive and the possibility of losing traction on slippery roads. Do other RWD cars offer stronger regen than "B"? I don't know.
    My BMW i3 is hell of a RWD and it has a strong regen and one pedal driving, no issues with traction! You don't have to use the brake at all once you master it. The regen makes the car come to a complete stop.

Tesla Model 3 LR is RWD too, much more torque than the id3, again full regen and one pedal driving, if you set it up that way.

Oh do they really do D and B in the id3... Sigh. That's so Nissan Leafy. :)

KCross wrote:
    Why is that still creep? You come to a stop and it stays put until you want to move again... no creep there?
    Does the car move forward itself when you turn it on when you start from being parked and turned off? If it does then it's still a creep.
    KCross wrote:
    Its not just radar, it also senses corners on the road in advance. Their implementation is still mainly one pedal. When you want to come to a complete stop you do have to press the brake for that last bit but other than that its one pedal.
    Ah OK, I'll have to test drive.
    KCross wrote:
    Nah, 3 pedal driving is archaic!.... 2 or 1 pedal is a preference.
    Different vision/outlook :)
    3 pedals - museum
    2 pedals - archaic (automatic petrol)
    1 pedal - EV
    KCross wrote:
    The car lurching when I take my foot off the pedal and having to constantly feather it is not my preference anyway so I'm glad it is the way it is!
    There's no lurching if you have control. And you need a good degree of control for one pedal driving. I admit though that feathering can be annoying, again if you don't have experience or control. However, once you master it you'll become one with the machine, completely different thing than 2 pedals, 2 pedal driving never creates that level of synergy and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

They phoned me - waiting for the rush to die-down and will bring in in late march/early apr - no hurry for me after watching battery life saying there is no functional difference between 2.0 & 2.1 and by then they should have the installation steps mastered..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Does the car move forward itself when you turn it on when you start from being parked and turned off? If it does then it's still a creep.

It doesn't

Ah OK, I'll have to test drive.

You definitely should, though I wouldn't agree that it's any sort of implementation of 1 pedal. I actually hate the way it slows as KCross has explained. I want to be in full control.

ACC slowing to speed limits it believes are correct is also a complete joke. Coming in the M1 by the port tunnel to whitehall it changes 3 times and brakes hard each drop, very dangerous. ACC is only useful for full on motorway driving. Note you can turn off the speed limit detection in the ACC which helps. It's still a poor implementation when compared to my old Ioniqs implementation.

Different vision/outlook :)
    3 pedals - museum
    1 pedal - EV

There's no lurching if you have control. And you need a good degree of control for one pedal driving. I admit though that feathering can be annoying, again if you don't have experience or control. However, once you master it you'll become one with the machine, completely different thing than 2 pedals, 2 pedal driving never creates that level of synergy and control.

Haha one with the machine :)
    One pedal driving has a steep learning curve. It's not safe during this learning curve. Once you get it, I agree it's great but I'd much rather self driving than half jobs like one pedal driving.

BTW someone was asking does anyone love the car. Well I really like it, it is great fun to drive, there are a couple of things the ioniq was better on but the VW is more enjoyable to be in daily. Would I say love it? Well no, not when I compare it to my old 645Ci, that was a car I loved, but I could work on that, fix it. I can't do that with the ID3, 1 because it's new and 2 there won't be much to do because it's electric.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

1 pedal - EV

Fixed that for you,

2 pedals - most effecient with a high level of coasting
    1 pedal - lazy people who find even the effort of moving the foot two inches to be too much engagment

(I use 2 pedals in the Ioniq, because of it's brill coast mode, 1 pedal in the Mini, because it it's coast mode doesn't exist)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

liamog wrote: »
    Fixed that for you,

2 pedals - most effecient with a high level of coasting
    1 pedal - lazy people who find even the effort of moving the foot two inches to be too much engagment

(I use 2 pedals in the Ioniq, because of it's brill coast mode, 1 pedal in the Mini, because it it's coast mode doesn't exist)

Agree with the brill coast mode in the Ioniq. It freewheels for ever.:)
    I wish the ID.3 coasted equally well. There is always a tiny bit of regen, even in "D". You can have full coast if you knock her into "N" but then you loose the regen on braking. I do it occasionally to keep my discs clean..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

eagerv wrote: »
    Agree with the brill coast mode in the Ioniq. It freewheels for ever.:)
    I wish the ID.3 coasted equally well. There is always a tiny bit of regen, even in "D". You can have full coast if you knock her into "N" but then you loose the regen on braking. I do it occasionally to keep my discs clean..

How do you find braking in N? Is the car aware it has no regen and uses more force on the mechanical brakes to make up for it?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement