Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

How do you find braking in N? Is the car aware it has no regen and uses more force on the mechanical brakes to make up for it?

Braking is fine in "N". VW have done a good job of merging the regen with normal brakes. They seem powerful whether regenning or not..
    I don't of course recommend using N, because naturally you have no throttle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

eagerv wrote: »
    Braking is fine in "N". VW have done a good job of merging the regen with normal brakes. They seem powerful whether regenning or not..
    I don't of course recommend using N, because naturally you have no throttle:)

Except when you have to brake in the emergency and there’s a delay between switching from regen to normal brakes. Almost feels like abs trying to stop brake from locking, very hard to stop the car. The brakes in my golf are always predictable, here I find it a bit of gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Has new update fixed Zappi issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

September1 wrote: »
    Has new update fixed Zappi issues?

It wasnt expected to but it has improved, just not enough to declare success.

https://myenergi.info/vw-ev-s-and-eco-t2447-s110.html#p31774

Snippet
    Good news - the ID.3 does not go to sleep straight away like it did originally (within 30 seconds of plug in if no charge started!)
    Bad news - if the charge is scheduled to start several hours after being plugged in then it still fails to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Got the 2.1 upgrade done Wednesday into yesterday. Took 1.5days and was given an iD3 as a courtesy car (I asked for a courtesy car). I was fully expecting a call to tell me they would need to keep my car for longer so pleasently surprised. I was on the original software so the standout for me is the system boots much quicker. Two early to say if all the bugs have been squished. Android auto is really flakey and I can't get it to work wirelessly but that is probably my phone. They had two iD4s in the showroom which looked very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

McHonda wrote: »
    Got the 2.1 upgrade done Wednesday into yesterday. Took 1.5days and was given an iD3 as a courtesy car (I asked for a courtesy car). I was fully expecting a call to tell me they would need to keep my car for longer so pleasently surprised. I was on the original software so the standout for me is the system boots much quicker. Two early to say if all the bugs have been squished. Android auto is really flakey and I can't get it to work wirelessly but that is probably my phone. They had two iD4s in the showroom which looked very well

where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Booked in for the 2.1 update next Friday :D
    Funny though as after booking it yesterday I was driving it last night and was changing the radio channel and the whole screen went black and radio went silent. After about 30 seconds the VW logo appeared and it rebooted itself.
    First bug I've seen and I'm on 2.0 since I got it.

Booked in for tues week. Leaving car in mon evening(I am busy Tuesday morning). Collecting wed am.
    They said they will have an ID.3 courtesy car for me but will believe it when I see it. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Booked in for tues week. Leaving car in mon evening(I am busy Tuesday morning). Collecting wed am.
    They said they will have an ID.3 courtesy car for me but will believe it when I see it. ��
    With my luck I probably will get an asthmatic 1.0 polo..

With my luck I probably will get an asthmatic 1.0 polo..

Like I got the previous time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

McHonda wrote: »

Got ours done as well, 2 days and got a Polo as a courtesy car. It is indeed much more responsive with little or no lag experienced (yet). Android auto is working well-just as good as it was on the eGolf. It was giving issues at the start, I found deleting all Bluetooth devices synced with the car and then adding the phones sorted it out; chews battery on an S20 as BT & wifi have to be on, so it will mostly be plugged in with a type C cable to charge-which defeats the purpose a bit.

We also got a damaged light strip on the front (between passenger side headlight & VW logo) replaced that was damaged by a stone chip. FYI if the front bumper comes off, they have to re-calibrate the front radar used by the ACC etc. €500 all in :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote: »
    Fixed that for you,

2 pedals - most effecient with a high level of coasting
    1 pedal - lazy people who find even the effort of moving the foot two inches to be too much engagment

(I use 2 pedals in the Ioniq, because of it's brill coast mode, 1 pedal in the Mini, because it it's coast mode doesn't exist)

Don't agree. :cool:

It's like saying:
    handwash - most efficient level of washing
    washing machine - lazy people who find even the effort of moving the hands two inches to be too much engagment

Let the tech / machines do the stuff. 2 pedals is an ICE thing.

Note: The i3 is the same as Mini I'd say. You can coast in the i3 but it makes no sense ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In terms of energy usage, it's better to coast than to brake, therefore it's more efficient.
    It then becomes a personal preference as to whether you prefer to do so by holding the accelerator pedal at a certain point, or allowing the car to coast on it's own.
    One pedal driving is like slider on a train.

It's funny people who like coasting seem to say there is a space for one pedal, and two pedal with coasting, one pedal drivers seem to like religious arguments where they don't accept it's a preference.

Maybe I could coast in the Mini by dropping into Neutral, but that just sounds dangerous.

Good charging speed today at Ionity Gorey started at about 12%, considering temp was only about 5.5c in showers, a bit warmer when sun came out.

Still waiting on my replacement Zappi2 from MyEnergia, sent out 22 days ago now. Would normally have taken about 3 days, but with Brexit delays etc who knows how long it will take..Fortunately with little driving it's not much hassle atm.

S8YDT1i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Good charging speed today at Ionity Gorey started at about 12%, considering temp was only about 5.5c in showers, a bit warmer when sun came out.

Still waiting on my replacement Zappi2 from MyEnergia, sent out 22 days ago now. Would normally have taken about 3 days, but with Brexit delays etc who knows how long it will take..Fortunately with little driving it's not much hassle atm.

S8YDT1i.jpg

I haven't got my head around the whole Kms/minute thing yet. What's that in real money? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I haven't got my head around the whole Kms/minute thing yet. What's that in real money? :p

50kw/h I'd guess?

(80%-29%)*58KW*60mins/35mins

Wish they would show kW. I suppose we can hope with a future update.

I am averaging about 6km/kWh with the present temperatures, so charging speed when pic taken was 540km/hour or about 90kW. (Not taking any losses into account).

TitianGerm wrote: »
    50kw/h I'd guess?

(80%-29%)*58KW*60mins/35mins

Probably correct average speed. Was a lot quicker at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

McGiver wrote: »
    Let the tech / machines do the stuff. 2 pedals is an ICE thing

I should point out that I was driving a diesel forklift that was one pedal drive long before EVs started implementing it

I do wish they'd made it an option on the ID cars. I get they want to make life easier for ICE drivers, but I feel like more regen is similar to a manual car which is more popular in Europe anyway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's based on the average consumption, so it varies with how efficiently you drive

Here's my stab at it

9km/min * 60 = 540km/h
    Assuming 150Wh/km = 0.15kWh/km
    km/h * kWh/km = kW
    540 * 0.15 = 81kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Used almost the entire capacity of the battery today. Went from 99% charge to 5% going from Tallaght to Monaghan town and back.

dublinscot wrote: »
    Used almost the entire capacity of the battery today. Went from 99% charge to 5% going from Tallaght to Monaghan town and back.

You only live once! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

You only live once! :)

I trusted in the guess-o-meter when i drove past the Ionity M1 chargers and calculated it'd have 20km of juice left when i got back home. Was home with 17. All good!

I trusted in the guess-o-meter when i drove past the Ionity M1 chargers and calculated it'd have 20km of juice left when i got back home. Was home with 17. All good!

It's good that the GOM can be trusted.

If you had pulled that in the Ioniq 28, you'd be a bit short of the finish line. The range drops much quicker in the lower half of the battery. I nearly fell foul of that in 2017. I just about limped into Coynes Cross when I should have arrived with 30 Kms to spare.

The e-Niro had a very trustworthy GOM and If I ever get to drive the ID.3 enough, it's good to know that the GOM can be relied upon.

It's good that the GOM can be trusted.

If you had pulled that in the Ioniq 28, you'd be a bit short of the finish line. The range drops much quicker in the lower half of the battery. I nearly fell foul of that in 2017. I just about limped into Coynes Cross when I should have arrived with 30 Kms to spare.

The e-Niro had a very trustworthy GOM and If I ever get to drive the ID.3 enough, it's good to know that the GOM can be relied upon.

I think with the bigger battery any small error in the GOM doesn't matter as much. If there's a 10km error, than that's only 3% of your usable range. In a Leaf however, that's closer to 10% and can make for some very nervous driving

I never understand ID.3 or E-Niro owners freaking out when they see 20km left on the GOM. In the Leaf I'm like "loads of range left, I might detour for a coffee or to do the shopping" :D

Do you have a 1st edition? You could have used up some of your free credit, it's not like it's going to spend itself :)

I think with the bigger battery any small error in the GOM doesn't matter as much. If there's a 10km error, than that's only 3% of your usable range. In a Leaf however, that's closer to 10% and can make for some very nervous driving

I never understand ID.3 or E-Niro owners freaking out when they see 20km left on the GOM. In the Leaf I'm like "loads of range left, I might detour for a coffee or to do the shopping" :D

It all depends on the driving you do.

On very long motorway trips in the e-Niro, I planned my first and only charging stop at 300 Kms. I knew the car was good for it because I had done it before. The same trip needed 3 charges in the Ioniq. The UK motorway charging infrastructure - Ecotricity - is actually worse than ours is here, so planning a stop at a working charger is key. The last 50 kilometres of range is the safety net if the planned charge fails. The next charger has to be within that range.

Would I do that trip in a gen 1 Leaf? not a fricken chance! :D

It all depends on the driving you do.

On very long motorway trips in the e-Niro, I planned my first and only charging stop at 300 Kms. I knew the car was good for it because I had done it before. The same trip needed 3 charges in the Ioniq. The UK motorway charging infrastructure - Ecotricity - is actually worse than ours is here, so planning a stop at a working charger is key. The last 50 kilometres of range is the safety net if the planned charge fails. The next charger has to be within that range.

Would I do that trip in a gen 1 Leaf? not a fricken chance! :D

Yeah it's that safety net which is critical and which makes a long journey in the Leaf more difficult

You need to plan around a failed charge and in a Leaf you might need to budget a significant amount of charge to get to another fast charger, or take the risk of the charger being busted

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

The first charging session, one that occurred yesterday, appeared for me in the We Connect ID app. It was an ESB 50kW charger. Haven’t used an ionity charger yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

heron_joe wrote: »
    The first charging session, one that occurred yesterday, appeared for me in the We Connect ID app. It was an ESB 50kW charger. Haven’t used an ionity charger yet.

ionity is the boss..

Advertisement