Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is losing your ability to drive a manual anything to be concerned about with an EV?

Same as with riding a bicycle or swimming. I don’t think you can lose these skills. Driving a manual is just an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is losing your ability to drive a manual anything to be concerned about with an EV?

After driving the Leaf for a year I had to drive my wife's Citroen to a wedding. After starting the car I tried reverse and promptly ground half the teeth off the gears. She wasn't mightily impressed

I was grand after a few minutes but my gear changes were definitely not as smooth as when I'd been driving my manual Toyota

So I'd say there will definitely be a transition period if you ever have to switch from an EV back to a manual

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

i don't think it is a worry. A few mins readjustment and you are back in the swing of things. Main issue i have is forgetting to change down, until the engine starts to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Still relying on the public charging network for a while. Was wondering what people’s thoughts were on the frequency of fast charging?
    How often do you think is okay to fast charge to avoid damaging the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

heron_joe wrote: »
    Still relying on the public charging network for a while. Was wondering what people’s thoughts were on the frequency of fast charging?

heard a stat (maybe on here) - said to only do 1 in 5 on the fast charger..

• Advertisement

heron_joe wrote: »

I wouldn't be overly concerned about fast charging, there's many an EV out there has been fast charged every day of its life and hasn't suffered more degredation than others.

VW will have accounted for frequent fast charging, I'm sure if you check the battery warranty it won't have any particular limit on the number of times you can use a fast charger

Also, I'm guessing you're using ESB 50kW chargers? If so, then you're charging at less power than the battery capacity, which is fine for lithium ion cells. They can typically charge multiple times their capacity before being damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Dropped my car off for the 2.1 update this morning. Garage said that it's taken 2 days to do the last 2 cars so don't expect it back today. If it does work it'll take 7hrs. Doesn't bother me too much as we can't exactly be heading off on a nice big drive or anything :pac:

I just don't get how they can't have fixed this update process by now or at least know what is going wrong with it. Surely they've trained staff at each garage on how to do it, and also have remote suppport? Surely? :rolleyes:

lafors wrote: »
    Dropped my car off for the 2.1 update this morning. Garage said that it's taken 2 days to do the last 2 cars so don't expect it back today. If it does work it'll take 7hrs. Doesn't bother me too much as we can't exactly be heading off on a nice big drive or anything :pac:

I just don't get how they can't have fixed this update process by now or at least know what is going wrong with it. Surely they've trained staff at each garage on how to do it, and also have remote suppport? Surely? :rolleyes:

From what I've heard they need to update each component individually. A bit like reflashing the firmware on your laptop or phone

The process seems prone to failure and if so they have to start again

I suspect in reality they can pick up from where they left off but it's likely the engineers in Germany told them to start from scratch to be sure everything gets updated correctly

The part “mysteriously” hasn’t arrived today. Now it’s due Monday.... They are still “working” on upgrading my polo to a bigger car. Nice service, VW. And yes, they’re “absolutely” keeping me up to date by calling me and returning calls.

That's poor form. Did they say what part needs replacement?
    The Polo though is a joke. I always wondered though can a garage give any car as a loaner or are they limited?

Whereabouts is the garage its in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

heard a stat (maybe on here) - said to only do 1 in 5 on the fast charger..

There was a study done in the US where they took a Leaf and for a year only used fast chargers on one and normal AC on the other. They found something like 3% degradation more in the fast charged battery.

Just to note the Leaf used was later found to be very poor for fast charging etc, so it’s probably a lot less on a competently built car.

My general opinion is to use it as few times as possible. I use public chargers only as well and I just have rethink my day and amazingly I’ve not had to use fast chargers except when going on long trips (even then I’ve learned a few things on better places to park etc).

Got my ID3 back this morning after the 2.1 update. Nothing new I can see (from 2.0). Plenty of modules have been updated though when I looked at them with my obdeleven.
    So update took just over a day. He said he has one they got the day before mine and it's still updating, much slower. It's also older than mine, a 1st where mine is a pro family spec.

They had an id4 parked there next to an ID3. I'll post some pics in the id4 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Liaison

Hi are there different trims on the 1st edition
    Saw id3 for sale on cavan for 31.5 k. 1k on clock. Is that a good price

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id-3-1st-204bhp/26732056

Liaison wrote: »

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I'm guessing it's the base 1st, can't imagine a Plus going at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Liaison wrote: »

That’s the base spec of the 1st edition. Probably their demo car. It retailed €32.700 new

It’s not a brilliant price. I’d be looking for more than that off for a demo car.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Liaison

KCross wrote: »
    That’s the base spec of the 1st edition. Probably their demo car. It retailed €32.700 new

It’s not a brilliant price. I’d be looking for more than that off for a demo car.

Ok not a great price for a 2020 car

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It has metallic as well though which was €1000 extra.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It has metallic as well though which was €1000 extra.

Ab €700:). I think OTR price was ab 34300-34400. So ab 3k off the ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I "bought" the cubic telecom data package during the week. It's free for the first movers as far as I know, and since then the pop-up about the Internet radio being "not available " has stopped. Tonight, when trying to find the rugby commentary on the radio, I tried the Internet radio option and..ta-da,... you get to pick a country of your choice and all the available stations appear. So I was able to listen to BBC RADIO 5 live. Every day is a learning day and I seem to discover some new feature.

rx8 wrote: »
    I "bought" the cubic telecom data package during the week. It's free for the first movers as far as I know....

I was playing with that last week and setup the account with them but I didn’t see a free option in the plan list. Only paid options.

Did you sign up for one of the paid ones and your hoping they don’t charge you or what are you expecting?

• Advertisement

I was playing with that last week and setup the account with them but I didn’t see a free option in the plan list. Only paid options.

Did you sign up for one of the paid ones and your hoping they don’t charge you or what are you expecting?

No, there was definitely a free option. Are you a "first mover" ?

This is what I got...

No, there was definitely a free option. Are you a "first mover" ?

No free option for me. I’ve sent them a support request I’ll see what they say.

Were you able to tether to the car and stream the likes of Netflix on your phone?

Were you able to tether to the car and stream the likes of Netflix on your phone?

Yeah, that worked, but I think it's really designed to be used as a wifi hotspot for when you are travelling throughout Europe for yourself and your passengers. Like, most of us would have unlimited data on our phones so that is what would normally be used here. The Internet radio will be investigated more though.

Yeah, that worked, but I think it's really designed to be used as a wifi hotspot for when you are travelling throughout Europe for yourself and your passengers. Like, most of us would have unlimited data on our phones so that is what would normally be used here. The Internet radio will be investigated more though.

What I wanted it for was connecting the kids iPads. Would be handy for that.

Did you just setup the account as normal via the vw.cubictelecom.com website and added your VIN and the free plan just appeared by default for you?

What I wanted it for was connecting the kids iPads. Would be handy for that.

Did you just setup the account as normal via the vw.cubictelecom.com website and added your VIN and the free plan just appeared by default for you?

Exactly that. You go in to it from the We Connect App, though I think the free plan, is only 1GB of data. You would probably need to go for the expensive €85 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Let us know what they say as i don't get the option either.. that said, i'm sure we get 3 years free from memory but this is 'data' oriented so i would have expected some 'free' cap to be applied..

Let us know what they say as i don't get the option either.. that said, i'm sure we get 3 years free from memory but this is 'data' oriented so i would have expected some 'free' cap to be applied..

Got first response already from CubicTelecom saying ID.3 is not entitled to it!

I’ve replied detailing that we are. I’ll keep hammering away at them.

Is there any link on VW website/brochure/etc saying first movers were entitled as I think the guy who replied won’t know what a “first mover” is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the free charging offer over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is the free charging offer over?

The free charging was for first Movers.

Advertisement