Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

How in the hell is the timer an issue with these cars - Nissan nailed it with the Leaf a decade ago, on first attempt - they don't have to reinvent the wheel here.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For me, it's 1:25. My meter clock is wrong. The upside is that I have night rate up until 10:25. I can get a few hours of charging in after I get up. :D

Use it while you can, the smart meters are coming.

That'd be ideal. We're easily up before 7 here, that'd give us a good 4 hours of night rate in the morning, easy to put a wash on overnight and a dry in the morning. It's even 4 hours of car charging if the overnight fails.

I'll likely keep trying out the scheduled charge, see if I can find some pattern to it all. With covid this is now clarified as "entertainment".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    You are describing two separate issues there.

1) The solar integration with the car going to sleep and not waking up
    2) The timers not working reliably

They have, as you said, improved the Solar bit but not completely resolved it.

The timers are still broken and to be avoided for now.

Trying to battle the half baked timer software is pointless in my opinion.
    So, remove all timers in the car, plug the car in when you get home, it will immediately start a charge, stop it, then start the charge via the app when night rate kicks in.

Pain in the hole... yes. Does it work consistently when you do it that way... yes.

I wouldnt believe anything the dealer or VW Ireland tell me about the software. Its entirely out of their hands. All they can do, if they are so inclined, is pass on your complaint.

Hard to believe, I know, but I realise these are two different issues, although tied back to home charging. I was pointing out that they (partly) resolved one, but not the other.

The dealers have to enter a customer complaint as a DISS report into their system. This report has to be actioned. Now, the action could be a TPI (Technical Product Information) telling the dealer what the solution is. Or one that says they're working on the problem, but if enough DISS reports appear for the delayed charging issue I would expect that the issue would be taken seriously. Yeah, I know, how naïve am I?

Whether they can actually come up with a solution is a whole other matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Orebro wrote: »
    How in the hell is the timer an issue with these cars - Nissan nailed it with the Leaf a decade ago, on first attempt - they don't have to reinvent the wheel here.

VW tried to be clever and it's blown up in their faces, as usual

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Just caught the end of Bjorn's livestream 1000km challenge with the ID.3 77kWh

Final time was 10:20

For comparison, the best 2 cars are the Model S LR Raven (9:50) and Model 3 performance (9:55)

So only 30 mins off the top position from a car which costs around 15k cheaper than a Model 3 performance and 80k cheaper than a Model S AFAIK

Not a bad result I'd say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

I ordered the zappi but its out of stock for three weeks, so decided to go with the sync ev charger. I wil, let you all know if it causes the same issues.

ddarcy wrote: »

Really the only thing I’d add is the reversing camera for the bottom spec model, but that isn’t really needed.
    How to fit a reversing camera:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XMxVw1QRSg

550 quid before you add the cost of cursing, swearing and skinned knuckles.
    German text but video is illustrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So the Internet Radio...

I have a cubic telecom sub with the car, kids get wifi from the car using it's data.
    Then Internet Radio, well it's worked twice and doesn't the rest of the time. What the hell is wrong with it??? Anyone else have any problems with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lafors wrote: »
    So the Internet Radio...

I have a cubic telecom sub with the car, kids get wifi from the car using it's data.
    Then Internet Radio, well it's worked twice and doesn't the rest of the time. What the hell is wrong with it??? Anyone else have any problems with it?

I had a loaner Golf and it was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

we talked about retro-fitting a wireless charger for the id3 a few months back - this guy did it with a 3d printed bracket - sounds like a lot of work and not the official parts but seemed to have worked.. https://www.speakev.com/threads/retrofitting-a-wireless-phone-charger-to-the-1st-ed.157643/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

we talked about retro-fitting a wireless charger for the id3 a few months back - this guy did it with a 3d printed bracket - sounds like a lot of work and not the official parts but seemed to have worked.. https://www.speakev.com/threads/retrofitting-a-wireless-phone-charger-to-the-1st-ed.157643/

You can get the genuine VW charging part that fits where the 1st have just the plastic insert easily enough. Been meaning to get one and see what wires on it would actually need to be connected to get it to charge a phone.

Has anyone fitted one of these?

On the topic of retrofitting parts, did anyone figure out if there's a power hook up for a dash cam above the centre mirror? I seem the remember the VW fitted one is wired up to there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fully Charged just put up a decent range test, he had problems charging it, acknowledges software issues

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice how hot the car is in sunshine?
    On a good 90km run today, only about 13c but very strong sun all day. Car was roasting, heater set on low with fan on. Had to turn on aircon which did cool car down well. Suppose it's the large glass area and black roof.
    At least aircon only knocked 4km off range, so seems efficient, probably more so than opening windows..

eagerv wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else notice how hot the car is in sunshine?
    On a good 90km run today, only about 13c but very strong sun all day. Car was roasting, heater set on low with fan on. Had to turn on aircon which did cool car down well. Suppose it's the large glass area and black roof.
    At least aircon only knocked 4km off range, so seems efficient, probably more so than opening windows..

I find electric cars auto climate to be like that, have to turn it up higher or lower than you might in an ice to maintain the temp you want. I also find that after preheating they tend to cool off too much or heat up too much. It's probably going to be worse if you have it in some eco setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mufflink

Snip....YouTube video reversing camera

550 quid before you add the cost of cursing, swearing and skinned knuckles.
    German text but video is illustrative.[/quote]

Does anyone know somewhere around the Dublin area that can do this. I have the camera but can't get anyone to touch the canbus side of things.

Regards,
    Mufflink

I find electric cars auto climate to be like that, have to turn it up higher or lower than you might in an ice to maintain the temp you want. I also find that after preheating they tend to cool off too much or heat up too much. It's probably going to be worse if you have it in some eco setting.

Don't think it was anything to do with the climate system, is just the long black roof and large glass areas. Even now the car is roasting, will open all windows wide before I depart to cool it a bit. Our Ioniq which is all white is much cooler.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't think it was anything to do with the climate system, is just the long black roof and large glass areas. Even now the car is roasting, will open all windows wide before I depart to cool it a bit. Our Ioniq which is all white is much cooler.

There's a reason white cars are so popular in Mediterranean countries

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Have many people have got the 2.1 software update done. I'm still waiting for my dealer to get back to me. Those that have got it done has it improved things?

Johnfred wrote: »
    Have many people have got the 2.1 software update done. I'm still waiting for my dealer to get back to me. Those that have got it done has it improved things?

Got mine done a while back. Cannot say that there is much difference. Perhaps a little faster on screen. Otherwise car has been fine, still a bit of work on timers though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Mine has been in the garage for 2 full days now getting updated from 2.0 to 2.1 and still no word on when it’ll be ready. I must admit all these software issues are beginning to dampen my enthusiasm for the car.

I don’t understand why it takes so long. I thought 2.0 to 2.1 was meant to be a small update? My update to 2.0 was done in a day.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

Given a crappy T-Cross as a loaner - if you think the plastic in the ID.3 is bad you want to see the T-Cross.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Johnfred wrote: »

I got 2.1 installed last week. I've noticed zero difference over 2.0, so far.

Given a crappy T-Cross as a loaner - if you think the plastic in the ID.3 is bad you want to see the T-Cross.

My mum got a Tiguan R Line for the day, she liked the power but was not happy having to learn how to drive a manual again

She was pretty happy to get her ID.3 back that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Mine has been in the garage for 2 full days now getting updated from 2.0 to 2.1 and still no word on when it’ll be ready. I must admit all these software issues are beginning to dampen my enthusiasm for the car.

I don’t understand why it takes so long. I thought 2.0 to 2.1 was meant to be a small update? My update to 2.0 was done in a day.

did mine on monday - dropped off at 8am, ready at 4pm.. 2.0->2.1. they must have hit a snag

My mum got a Tiguan R Line for the day, she liked the power but was not happy having to learn how to drive a manual again

She was pretty happy to get her ID.3 back that evening

What engine in the Tiguan R Line? Thought the ID.3 would have been faster?

What engine in the Tiguan R Line? Thought the ID.3 would have been faster?

2.0l TDI, it was quick enough but definitely didn't have the acceleration of the ID.3

Thankfully it had auto hold so she didn't have to relearn how to do hill starts

2.0l TDI, it was quick enough but definitely didn't have the acceleration of the ID.3

I drive a similar HP Diesel quite a bit and the ID.3 feels so lively after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

It's the noise and vibrations, seems like power, but is just wasted energy.

• Advertisement

did mine on monday - dropped off at 8am, ready at 4pm.. 2.0->2.1. they must have hit a snag

What annoys me the most is having to chase them.

After being told last night that it was 95% done and would probably be ready for 10am, I had to ring them just before 5pm to be told that the update has broken the headlight units! How does that work?

Looks like I'll be stuck paying for petrol for the 1.0TSI T-Cross for a while yet! :mad:

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

Advertisement