Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sk8board wrote: »
    People need to stop saying ‘in Germany’ when talking about the ID prices. It’s like saying the model 3 is from $35k ‘in america’.
    It will have very little bearing on Irish pricing, bar the absolute certainty that it will be more expensive that it is ‘in germany’.

It should be similar enough. As an example the Tesla Model 3 P lists at €65k in Germany after incentives and €61k in Ireland, even though our price should be higher because of VRT

Price difference in Ireland vs Germany in EVs under about €40k are mainly different levels of profit taking from the main company. In the above case, Tesla reckons they can screw the German consumer more than the Irish consumer (for a change)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

sk8board wrote: »
    People need to stop saying ‘in Germany’ when talking about the ID prices. It’s like saying the model 3 is from $35k ‘in america’.
    It will have very little bearing on Irish pricing, bar the absolute certainty that it will be more expensive that it is ‘in germany’.

We're definitely more expensive with the eGolf now that Germany and the UK got a €4-5k price cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    There's almost zero status owning a Golf (or ID.3) imho :)

(and I'm a reservation holder)

Ahh come on now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ahh come on now.....

If he ends up buying one I bet he’ll be singing from a different hymn sheet.

I guarantee a proper test drive ( without sales person ) and out of the town will change a lot of people's opinion of the id.3.

Reminds me of the i3, I didn't like it in the beginning, then I took it for a proper test drive and was amazed how good it was inside and how good it was to drive and bought it when the PCP was almost up on the Leaf and I still love every km in it.

So don't judge until you drive, it will probably be good fun too RWD 200 HP.

VW plan a "R" version with AWD, that would be something, but sadly it won't be with us for years yet. That might have been a worthy replacement for the i3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote: »
    Lumen wrote: »
    Gotta love the Germans. Spend 40k and don't even get keyless entry, folding mirrors or reversing camera.

+1

All standard on my 25k Ioniq which is 3 years older.
    Where is the Ioniq manufactured again? Asia or Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Ahh come on now.....

Golf has always been a car for plebs like ourselves

Status German car is a modern Porsche

I guarantee a proper test drive ( without sales person ) and out of the town will change a lot of people's opinion of the id.3.

Reminds me of the i3, I didn't like it in the beginning, then I took it for a proper test drive and was amazed how good it was inside and how good it was to drive and bought it when the PCP was almost up on the Leaf and I still love every km in it.

So don't judge until you drive, it will probably be good fun too RWD 200 HP.

VW plan a "R" version with AWD, that would be something, but sadly it won't be with us for years yet. That might have been a worthy replacement for the i3.

It will be the best in the 40k segment for sure

Who's it's competitors

Underfloor heating Leaf62

And the Koreans

?

I can’t see the financial savings in buying this car over a high specked diesel golf! tbh.

Frugal people don't buy DSG Golf's

The frugal will buy a Zoe with the same range for €12,000 less or a Seat Leon diesel for €15,000 less

No savings here

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

DaveyDave wrote: »
    We're definitely more expensive with the eGolf now that Germany and the UK got a €4-5k price cut.

We also got that price cut. Can get the Executive edition from €45k now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PaulRyan97 wrote: »

Isn't that mental money for one though if the id3 will be starting <30k it would mean it's worth less than that in 2021. Eye watering depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Isn't that mental money for one though if the id3 will be starting <30k it would mean it's worth less than that in 2021. Eye watering depreciation.

The exec edition is for the company car market. Not aimed at the private buyer.

Should not be compared to a private buyer car

The exec edition is for the company car market. Not aimed at the private buyer.

Should not be compared to a private buyer car

A private buyer would be even worse off though...company has incentives, i'm just not getting why anyone would buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,022 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A private buyer would be even worse off though...company has incentives, i'm just not getting why anyone would buy one.

Because they like the look of the car and want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Just watched bjorn first impressions of id3 and I for a change love white/red(orange?) interior.
    Problem will be the price for normal people like me who do not have option to buy a car through company.

It’s the best electric car in market outside an 100k Audi

It would be one of my last picks the range is rubbish. In 6mts time a brand new one will probably have lost 20k in value possibly more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PaulRyan97 wrote: »

€36k after grants etc 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Miscreant

This might be a case of TLDR for some :cool::)

I quite like the look of the ID3 and having had my illusions shattered by the pricing of the Kona and eNiro in the past being close to €40k, I am hoping that Volkswagen can deliver it for the under 30k they are promising. Even if it was €32k or €33k for the 58kwh one I would be happy as that is probably the one I'd buy but I'm holding out no hope on this considering some of the profit taking that is occurring in the EV space at the moment.

I consider myself to be quite an informed driver as things go and like to keep up with the latest news however most of the "normal" motoring public couldn't give a fiddler's about a near €40k EV if they can get a car (petrol or diesel) that will fulfill their needs for a little more than half that headline figure. I understand that EVs are generally higher specced than your average car and you save money on fuel overall but as above, most people don't really care about that. Why should a consumer pay the vehicle manufacturer for the fuel price difference and have a pay back period of more than the time they would keep the car before trading in?.... It makes no economic sense IMO.

When I had a Kona EV for a few days in May (I reviewed it in the Kona thread), I was impressed with how it drove but lamented the poor spec and space in it considering the price tag of €38k. I did not suffer from range anxiety (being 64Kwh) but I did suffer from "charger" anxiety as the last thing I wanted to do was to have to rely on the public infrastructure.

Right now, I believe that EVs priced above the €32k to €35k mark are priced beyond the general public's appetite and manufacturers need to work on getting them below that magic €30k figure before mass adoption takes place. I would also caveat that with the need for those cars to be able to do at least 250kms on a long run (at an average of about 100KpH).

I am well aware that the EV market in this country has exploded and sales have been on a runaway since the beginning of this year, however this is as a result of there being more choice in general and some clued in people seeing the savings if they are doing big mileages or taking advantage of BIK and so on. Someone doing 40k miles (60K kms) per year is not the typical driver so the normal motorist will not have a reasonable pay back period and as a result the "Sticker Shock" is real at the moment for most.

Very keen and all as I am to jump on the EV wagon, I have not done so as I am not prepared to pay the extortion money that some manufacturers are charging for what essentially amounts to a normal family hatchback (no matter which way they are dressed). Paying €400pm or more on PCP or HP is not my idea of fun and I doubt there are many out there who would be interested to do so either for a Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Renault or VW.

In any case, I really hope that they can keep the price of the entry model below the €30k mark (even at the circa €27k that was being touted previously) as VW could be on to a real winner. If they can keep the mid range model below €35k then they will sell very well indeed. At that price point, I would be very interested, even without LED headlights, electric seats and parking/driving aids as long as it meets my range criteria.

Apologies for the long post. I'll be watching this space very carefully as I am itching to buy a new car at the moment and want it to be an EV. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved the company car tax discussion to the thread Tax implications of having a EV company car

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Completecar.ie overview of the ID.3 1st specs for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Miscreant wrote: »
    This might be a case of TLDR for some :cool::)

I quite like the look of the ID3 and having had my illusions shattered by the pricing of the Kona and eNiro in the past being close to €40k, I am hoping that Volkswagen can deliver it for the under 30k they are promising. Even if it was €32k or €33k for the 58kwh one I would be happy as that is probably the one I'd buy but I'm holding out no hope on this considering some of the profit taking that is occurring in the EV space at the moment.

I consider myself to be quite an informed driver as things go and like to keep up with the latest news however most of the "normal" motoring public couldn't give a fiddler's about a near €40k EV if they can get a car (petrol or diesel) that will fulfill their needs for a little more than half that headline figure. I understand that EVs are generally higher specced than your average car and you save money on fuel overall but as above, most people don't really care about that. Why should a consumer pay the vehicle manufacturer for the fuel price difference and have a pay back period of more than the time they would keep the car before trading in?.... It makes no economic sense IMO.

When I had a Kona EV for a few days in May (I reviewed it in the Kona thread), I was impressed with how it drove but lamented the poor spec and space in it considering the price tag of €38k. I did not suffer from range anxiety (being 64Kwh) but I did suffer from "charger" anxiety as the last thing I wanted to do was to have to rely on the public infrastructure.

Right now, I believe that EVs priced above the €32k to €35k mark are priced beyond the general public's appetite and manufacturers need to work on getting them below that magic €30k figure before mass adoption takes place. I would also caveat that with the need for those cars to be able to do at least 250kms on a long run (at an average of about 100KpH).

I am well aware that the EV market in this country has exploded and sales have been on a runaway since the beginning of this year, however this is as a result of there being more choice in general and some clued in people seeing the savings if they are doing big mileages or taking advantage of BIK and so on. Someone doing 40k miles (60K kms) per year is not the typical driver so the normal motorist will not have a reasonable pay back period and as a result the "Sticker Shock" is real at the moment for most.

Very keen and all as I am to jump on the EV wagon, I have not done so as I am not prepared to pay the extortion money that some manufacturers are charging for what essentially amounts to a normal family hatchback (no matter which way they are dressed). Paying €400pm or more on PCP or HP is not my idea of fun and I doubt there are many out there who would be interested to do so either for a Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Renault or VW.

In any case, I really hope that they can keep the price of the entry model below the €30k mark (even at the circa €27k that was being touted previously) as VW could be on to a real winner. If they can keep the mid range model below €35k then they will sell very well indeed. At that price point, I would be very interested, even without LED headlights, electric seats and parking/driving aids as long as it meets my range criteria.

Apologies for the long post. I'll be watching this space very carefully as I am itching to buy a new car at the moment and want it to be an EV. :)

You'll be truly disappointed my friend

Not a chance the 58kWh version will be 32-33k, I doubt we will even see 45kWh for that price before 2021

Look at the new Zoe, 208e, Corsa if you want something in that price range with good range

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When it comes to comparing prices, don't forget that the ID.3 is a C-Segment car.
    The Zoe, 208e, e-Corsa are all B-Segment cars.

Supermini's have always been cheaper than small family car's. I think we're due to wait till 2023 before VW release a Polo sized ID (probably the ID.1) which is designed to compete in that segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Mike9832 wrote: »

You'll be truly disappointed my friend

Not a chance the 58kWh version will be 32-33k, I doubt we will even see 45kWh for that price before 2021

Look at the new Zoe, 208e, Corsa if you want something in that price range with good range

Oh I know I'll be disappointed. Car companies are like politicians in my book, I stopped believing them a long time ago.

The Zoe, 208e and Corsa are too small for my needs so won't even make the shortlist. :)

What are the chances of the car being in an Irish VW showroom before we have to commit to a purchase???

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

What are the chances of the car being in an Irish VW showroom before we have to commit to a purchase???

Close to 0. I think the preorder faqs said no demo models, no test drives.

I called to the local dealer today and got no info at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

The production should start in November 2019 and the priority ordering window opens early 2020 so who knows maybe there’s a chance to test drive it. I’m going to see the car next weekend at IAA in Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Irishjg wrote: »
    If he ends up buying one I bet he’ll be singing from a different hymn sheet.

Nope. It has zero status. Same as my current Hyundai. I have owned cars with status like Porsches and high end BMWs. I don't really care about status, or even perceived status, like some seem to do in here :p

Close to 0. I think the preorder faqs said no demo models, no test drives.

I called to the local dealer today and got no info at all.

As usual the person interested in buying the car probably knows more than the dealers do! It’s also pretty disappointing the lack of information VW has released so far for the ID3.

A few images of of the optional packages

• Advertisement

More images of the options

Advertisement