Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's the same car, motor, invertor etc, just detuned, shameful really, just shows how much less they could sell the 204 Hp version.

Steel wheels and all for 32K.

I wonder will they allow the extra power to be unlocked as an upgrade at some stage

In that case it becomes a no brainer, buy the lower power and upgrade later to dodge the VRT

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of anybody vinyl wrapping the black plastic lip on the ID3, or anything like that? I can never understand what they were thinking with it! That said, I'm very close to buying one because I just drove one and really enjoyed it, and that 0% is really attractive.

Yes 0% is great, just think carefully about what you are intending to do at the end of the PCP because that GFMV will come back to bite you, it's the stick to beat you into another car. :D

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Oddly I always found that while the i3 was miles faster 0-100 than the L24, the Leaf was a little more responsive off the line. The i3 always felt like it had a split second delay from boot down to go.

Best thing about the i3 is the top end. I can go from 60mph to 80mph in a flash.

I say "I can", needless to say I never have done so as that would be naughty. ;)

The Leaf Gen I is faster off the line than the i3, after drivetrain issues BMW really restricted it from 0. But of course the i3 trashes the leaf after about 30Km/hr.

When are you expecting your car Mad_Lad?

Dealer told me around 10 weeks from order.

Is there any wiggle room for negotiation with these boys or is it just a take it or leave it?

It should arrive early July, hopefully, I ordered early enough.

No wiggle room on price just got free service pack, I'll see if I can get them to throw in Mats and Mud Flaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Does the we charge elli card save you a bit on price at the charge stations.?

• Advertisement

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Does the we charge elli card save you a bit on price at the charge stations.?

Nope, unless you're a 1st mover, in fact you pay a premium at ESB stations

If you sign up to one of the paid plans then you get a discount at Ionity. They're good if you're using them regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No wiggle room on price just got free service pack, I'll see if I can get them to throw in Mats and Mud Flaps.

Free service pack for the duration of the PCP?

Free service pack for the duration of the PCP?

I think so but the service intervals might only be once every 2 years I actually don't know lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would try and get the fancy service pack out of them, which includes tyres etc.
    Servicing on my 58kWh is every 2 years.

What is the ID3 like for tyres? They're a pain on the i3, with so few choices due to the oddball size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yes 0% is great, just think carefully about what you are intending to do at the end of the PCP because that GFMV will come back to bite you, it's the stick to beat you into another car. :D

Thanks. It'll be my third PCP if I go for it. Happy enough with the way they've structured the GMFV - it's low enough that you should have a decent bit of equity in the car at the end of the term. Also, get to finance a good chuck of the car at 0%. It's obviously more of a risk if the world falls apart and it's suddenly only worth that amount but I think that's pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

eagerv wrote: »
    I would try and get the fancy service pack out of them, which includes tyres etc.
    Servicing on my 58kWh is every 2 years.

I never asked about servicing actually. Must do that.

I was told by a different dealer that delivery would be August. Fine with us but expect a wait.

What is the ID3 like for tyres? They're a pain on the i3, with so few choices due to the oddball size.

Tyres readily available for the ID.3. 18" probably a little cheaper than 19". A quick search brought up prices from around €120 - €150 for premium makes.

fits wrote: »
    I never asked about servicing actually. Must do that.

I was told by a different dealer that delivery would be August. Fine with us but expect a wait.

Every 2 years, unlimited mileage

At least servicing costs won't be something to worry about :)

eagerv wrote: »
    Tyres readily available for the ID.3. 18" probably a little cheaper than 19". A quick search brought up prices from around €120 - €150 for premium makes.

On the ID.4 there was apparently an option to get narrow tyres on the rear axle to match the front

Might extend the life of the tyres because you can rotate them around

On the ID.4 there was apparently an option to get narrow tyres on the rear axle to match the front

Yes I noticed the different sizes front/back on one of Bjorns videos. Seems strange on a regular family car

I wouldn't get narrower tyres on the rear because this might effect grip being rear wheel drive.

I wouldn't get narrower tyres on the rear because this might effect grip being rear wheel drive.

Depends, they should be better for efficiency, if you're on motorways a lot then it should be fine

It might be a Norway only thing though as I don't think any of the ID.4 owners in Ireland were offered different tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

How is everyone charging at night rate, are you using the car timers or the charger timers.
    Just trying to figure out which works best..

How is everyone charging at night rate, are you using the car timers or the charger timers.

Neither, just plugging in when home from work (usually around midnight) and setting charge to 80% in car or whatever needed. If home earlier I plug in and then stop charge on app. Then start charge on app after 12 for cheaper rates.
    Any morning pre heating is started via app using mains power.

• Advertisement

I presume the ID3 has proper thermal battery management? I notice that VW seem to suggest the old Nissan line of charging to 80% to prolong battery life. Is that just being over cautious?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The timers don’t work properly/reliably. Manually start it is the best bet until VW sort it out.

I presume the ID3 has proper thermal battery management? I notice that VW seem to suggest the old Nissan line of charging to 80% to prolong battery life. Is that just being over cautious?

It’s just good practice really regardless of what EV it is. Charge to 80% unless you know you need the full capacity.

That was a bit harder to do in a short range EV but it’s easy enough when you have 58kWh to play with.

Batteries are stressed more the longer they are at high or low states of charge whether the car hides some Kwh or not top and bottom it still leaves it at a high SOC at the top but I think batteries are big enough today at 60+ Kwh that even a 20% loss of capacity over 5-7 years won't have as much of an impact as on the 1st Gen Leaf or 21 Kwh i3, particularly for 70+ Kwh batteries and more.

80% would even be considered a high SOC to leave a battery eternally but if charging to 100% and driving next morning won't have a huge impact. But to maximise battery life it's a good idea to charge to 70 or 80%.

Having said that my i3 94 Ah at 115,300 Kms 4 years 2 months old has no notable range loss. So it will also vary from battery to battery and the other thing is that an EV made 6 months later could have some alterations to the chemistry, cathode, anode etc meaning it might last longer or not, compared to the car made 6 months or a year ago.

I would also read the manual to see what it says regarding battery warranty.

So...

Does the ID3 have proper thermal battery management?

;)

So...

Does the ID3 have proper thermal battery management?

;)

Absolutely, it can heat and cool the battery, I think though heating is just to allow max regen and acceleration and not intended ( yet ) for max power when fast charging, but thermal management parameters can change with any update on this car, so what applied this Winter may not next Winter. They can change pretty much anything too which is good, they can and do update the travel assist, adaptive cruise control, infotainment, maps etc etc.

Part of the rason I chose the id.3 was due to the OTA updates.

I presume the ID3 has proper thermal battery management?

Thermal management, yes. It heats and cools the battery.

Proper... jury still out on that.

It is way too eager to heat the battery, thus decreasing range. They are still tweaking it.

KCross wrote: »
    Thermal management, yes. It heats and cools the battery.

Proper... jury still out on that.

It is way too eager to heat the battery, thus decreasing range. They are still tweaking it.

The solution to this is a function

Enable battery conditioning for max Driving performance and max Fast Charging Performance in Cold weather ?

Please note, enabling this setting can reduce range......

Very simple really, and in the background they can automatically control essential heating and cooling regardless of settings.

Ps what colours have you good folk gone for? I'm liking the Stonewashed Blue and the Manganese Grey.

• Advertisement

Ps what colours have you good folk gone for? I'm liking the Stonewashed Blue and the Manganese Grey.

I chose Stonewash Blue, too much grey cars on the road, silver, grey and black, MY Leaf was Grey, i3 Grey and black, reminds me of Irish skies for most of the year, depressing! :D

I need to see more colour on the road when I'm commuting! :D

Advertisement