Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I'm also heading to Frankfurt on Monday for the motor show. My main interests will be in hall 3 to get up close with the ID3. Also hoping to drive some of the cars in the test drive area, although not expecting the ID3 to be there. I have this trip booked for about 3 months now so, I suppose I may as well go. Even though I'm kind of disappointed with the prospect of cancelling my reservation because there's no way I'm paying 50K, for the Max version when a Tesla M3 is 47k.
    Someone mentioned before, the proposed reduction of VRT to 7% from next year and maybe, after the budget we'll all know just how much they will cost. I really want to change to an EV next year but I feel that the car companies will continue to gouge their customers,just because they can...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Considering this car is based on the MEB platform, I wonder will the Seat and Skoda version of the ID3 be slightly cheaper?

Just saw the el born and I have to say it looks far nicer in my opinion than the ID3

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2020-seat-el-born-electric-car-revealed-price-specs-and-release-date/n18985

• Registered Users Posts: 65,319 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yer man! wrote: »
    Just saw the el born and I have to say it looks far nicer in my opinion than the ID3

Agreed.

I have high hopes for the Skodas myself. The Vision IV in particular:

2019-skoda-vision-iv-conc-4_800x0w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed.

I have high hopes for the Skodas myself. The Vision IV in particular:

2019-skoda-vision-iv-conc-4_800x0w.jpg

Yep this looks like a very interesting prospect from Skoda. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished article with the large battery option. Just hope they don’t feck up the drivers area with a similar looking Fisher Price cash register like the ID3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Interior isn't that bad especially with the lighting system.

mfq49v00aml31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I like the interior....then I like the interior of VW

It’s just a step up from the current eGolf in terms of digital dashboard and the entertainment screen....nice progression from eGolf 1, then 2 then ID

The fact Vw have put in AI is great.....

Honestly I might never own an ID.3

They have already started the advertising campaign on the Crozz and that looks to be my next VW

I like the blue lighting, the colour can probably be changed too I'd be surprised if you couldn't. It can be changed in the i3.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I like the blue lighting, the colour can probably be changed too I'd be surprised if you couldn't. It can be changed in the i3.

I think it was on one of the videos, there is a choice of 30 different colours via the infotainment system. The car has profiles for the drivers so you can probably set a different colour per driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sk8board

yer man! wrote: »
    Considering this car is based on the MEB platform, I wonder will the Seat and Skoda version of the ID3 be slightly cheaper?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2020-seat-el-born-electric-car-revealed-price-specs-and-release-date/n18985

It will go beyond the VAG group too - Ford have already licensed the MEB platform for their mass market EVs (when they eventually build one).

VW thinking is that they jumped first, invested billions, and can recoup something by licensing the tech to anyone who hasn’t invested themselves yet.
    It’s a massive step in EV proliferation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Heating control knobs lower down on the dashboard would make it look so much better but VW have obviously figured out they can save precious euros in parts and labour by integrating the heating controls in to the screen cluster.
    They really do seem to be intent on not just making a mass production EV but generating profit while doing it.

I expect you will see heating control knobs on low end Audi models and a third screen dedicated to HVAC on the very high end models.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rivegauche wrote: »
    Heating control knobs lower down on the dashboard would make it look so much better but VW have obviously figured out they can save precious euros in parts and labour by integrating the heating controls in to the screen cluster.
    They really do seem to be intent on not just making a mass production EV but generating profit while doing it.

I expect you will see heating control knobs on low end Audi models and a third screen dedicated to HVAC on the very high end models.

Making a profit? The reason for their existence? Those maniacs.

I endorse their efforts to make money. I hold a fair few shares in the company.

Why do you need heating knobs when you can go "ID set temp to 26 degree"

This was on video taken by German guys and posted.....

Knobs are so 1970's :P:P

JPA wrote: »
    Making a profit? The reason for their existence? Those maniacs.

Those crazy germans making profit and selling good cars.....they should look at the business plan for Rover or some of those other great.....oh wait are they still around?

Shefwedfan wrote: »

knurled knobs = perceived quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,896 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbf, ive yet to see a decent voice control from a single manufacturer. That includes the might of the Mercedes SL500 who have had voice control over a decade plus now.

and knobs are not 1970s, they are actually tactile. its a large part of design. The move to touchscreens is ridiculous and actually more dangerous than tactile knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,022 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

listermint wrote: »
    tbf, ive yet to see a decent voice control from a single manufacturer. That includes the might of the Mercedes SL500 who have had voice control over a decade plus now.

and knobs are not 1970s, they are actually tactile. its a large part of design. The move to touchscreens is ridiculous and actually more dangerous than tactile knobs.

Only a matter of time before Alexa or Google Assistant is integrated I'd imagine.

If my 4 and 6 year old can use Alexa Im sure people will be able to use similar in car....even my 2 year old gives it a good bash....

A huge difference between AI and voice control. I had voice control in a 2008 Ford SMAX, the same voice control is still used in Ford today and its still pants....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

That's a fair point to say, but at least try it before dismissing it out of hand. Many said that about the model 3 and most feedback I have seen has been positive of the touchscreen/controls after an initial adjusting period.

The ID.3 has touch sliders for the temperature which have groves so you could find them without looking tbh and the touchscreen is only required for the advanced settings. Ofcourse as already said you can say 'ID, set heating to 22' and it adjust the drivers seat only. Likewise for the passenger if they ask.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before Alexa or Google Assistant is integrated I'd imagine.

Some big manufacturers might just buy right to Alexa/Google and install in their own car with a new name....like ID......even in Alexa you can change it names to a number of different ones

So the ID might have Alexa built into it but we will never really know.....

VW do look to have created a AI division about 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hans turn up ze Flammenwerfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Doesn't Teslas have it like that too? Just the touchscreen and that's it, no knobs.

I'd imagine VW just wanted to create a cheaper copy of Tesla M3. And also come up with something modern. Otherwise what's the point? Sticking to the 30 years old design of dash with millions of plastic buttons again and essentially just make another version of Golf? Meh. It's 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

1980s so... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hans turn up ze Flammenwerfer

What trim level does that come with? :P

If my 4 and 6 year old can use Alexa Im sure people will be able to use similar in car....even my 2 year old gives it a good bash....

A huge difference between AI and voice control. I had voice control in a 2008 Ford SMAX, the same voice control is still used in Ford today and its still pants....

I have Google assistant installed throughout my house it's the leading voice assistant on the market. But even that has problems and miss hears and bad pickups.

Your painting and awfully shiney view of the voice assistant world. And the jibe about your kids being able to use it.

It's evident you don't. Because if you did you'd know if their issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

I have Google assistant installed throughout my house it's the leading voice assistant on the market. But even that has problems and miss hears and bad pickups.

Your painting and awfully shiney view of the voice assistant world. And the jibe about your kids being able to use it.

It's evident you don't. Because if you did you'd know if their issues.

I've got Alexa all over and it understands first time 95% of the time, and pretty much never takes more than 2 attempts. Occasionally repeating a command is far better than having to lean over and reach for some dials every single time while driving.

A car will have more background noise, but on the other hand they can position the microphone to target the driving position, whereas an in-house system has to pick up commands from anywhere in the room.

Even without voice, the buttons on the screen are more in your line of sight and more easily reachable than something down below anyway. Although the buttons themselves are less tactile, there are bumps outlining them so you should still be able to feel your way to them too.

I like the dash personally and I'm ok with them innovating and streamlining.

quokula wrote: »
    I've got Alexa all over and it understands first time 95% of the time, and pretty much never takes more than 2 attempts. Occasionally repeating a command is far better than having to lean over and reach for some dials every single time while driving.

A car will have more background noise, but on the other hand they can position the microphone to target the driving position, whereas an in-house system has to pick up commands from anywhere in the room.

Even without voice, the buttons on the screen are more in your line of sight and more easily reachable than something down below anyway. Although the buttons themselves are less tactile, there are bumps outlining them so you should still be able to feel your way to them too.

I like the dash personally and I'm ok with them innovating and streamlining.

You been in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Quick update from the Frankfurt motor show....

Firstly it's a bit of a trek to get there. Ryanair changing gate 3 times made us miss the takeoff slot and sit for 30 minutes extra in the plane. So, I probably arrived 2 hours later than planned. Went straight to the VW group hall 3. Place was jammers. Lots of ID3s, different specs and colour schemes. Liked the white and the turquoise, particularly with the black interiors. 20" wheels look really well on it. Feels really nice, haptic feedback buttons on the steering wheel and centre screen. They had a separate big screen demo of the AR Hud, and it looks great.
    Spent a good while looking at all the VW group cars. Seat El Born looks lovely in the Red, but was behind a screen, so couldn't get in to it. I would expect the White/black interior to be very popular. Girls were giving out ID socks or a model car to reservation holders, but managed to get both!! There was no test drives available, but other brands were doing them, including Tesla, but they had stopped by the time I got to F10 area. Most desks had signs saying that they were finished but Kia were still open and I was able to get a spin in the new Kia Xceed. Was brought out by a lovely girl from Kia, expecting to drive slowly around what looked like a set out course, but was guided around and then out of the complex, on to the road and even on to the autobahn. Had the 1.4tsi, top spec auto model and it was beautiful to drive. Took almost 30 minutes before we got back. Well worth doing. Obviously early arrival is essential to get popular EV drives, like Tesla M3 or Jaguar ipace. Sat in to the Tesla and took some pictures and was blown away by it.
    It felt like I walked about 20 miles yesterday ad the place is so vast. Seen lots of vintage cars in another hall and then went to see the Honda e in another. It's kind of quirky outside, but is stunning inside. Lots of people looking at it, really nice in the graphite colour. Dashboard is really nice. Went in to the Mercedes hall but was full of men in suits,so took a quick few pictures and came back out. Overall was a long day, but I was prepared for that. Left just before 7 pm as it was winding up and went in to the shopping centre opposite and then back to the airport about 10. Had a few beers and a kip and then down to the gate for 5.25. Would have liked to spend a few days in Frankfurt and visit the show a couple of times to see much more but was happy enough with seeing the cars I was interested in. Sorry for the long post..

Advertisement