Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2 more questions

1 - How do folk here find the lane assist? Lots of people saying it's annoying as it bounces you around the lanes, others irritated that it's on by default and has to be turned off manually every time.

2 - anyone bother with winter tyres? I'm rural and on a hill top so I've had winter tyres for the i3. Does the additional weight of a 77kWh battery help or hinder things?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »

1 - How do folk here find the lane assist? Lots of people saying it's annoying as it bounces you around the lanes, others irritated that it's on by default and has to be turned off manually every time.

All true.

KCross wrote: »
    All true.

Just how irritating is that, or does it become second nature like having to hit the accept button every time you turn on the Leaf?

Also read that it's a 4 step process to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just how irritating is that, or does it become second nature like having to hit the accept button every time you turn on the Leaf?

Just drive in the middle of the road and you'll be grand, you won't even know it's on.

If you indicate when crossing a line to overtake the lane assist won't push you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It will only bounce you around a lane if you let go of the steering wheel. If you want to do that, you need the Travel Assist, which performs well in my experience.

I had the 1st Plus for a while and didn't even notice that the lane keep was on... but then I didn't let go of the wheel.

• Advertisement

As others said, it’s not that big a deal. It’s standard LKAS, not LFA.

So, if your expectation is that you can let go of the wheel then you will be disappointed and it will annoy you, so it’s about expectations really.

It doesn’t bother me but YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You're looking at the Tour right? Pretty sure that has Travel Assist which does real lane following, not the ping pong the Lane Assist does

Of course you have to switch travel assist on, whereas lane assist is always on

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If you indicate when crossing a line to overtake the lane assist won't push you back.

Sorry, I'm a BMW driver.

What does "indicate" mean?

You're looking at the Tour right?

Tour 5, but same applies - I think it has Travel Assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Just drive in the middle of the road and you'll be grand, you won't even know it's on.

If you don’t indicate like 90 percent of the drivers wil it allow you to move lanes. I may or may not be part of that 90percent lol

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm a BMW driver.

What does "indicate" mean?

They're the optional extra that no BMW driver goes for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

adam88 wrote: »
    If you don’t indicate like 90 percent of the drivers wil it allow you to move lanes. I may or may not be part of that 90percent lol

You'll get a bit of a push back on the wheel but you can hold against that.

Tour 5, but same applies - I think it has Travel Assist.

If you have Travel Assist you wont have an issue. Travel Assist is LFA.... no bouncing.

Its "Lane Assist" is the "annoying" one as thats just LKAS.

It looks like Tech, Max, Tour and Tour 5 all have Travel Assist so you're sorted!

I can't understand why the lane assist is the default on car's with travel assist, it has to be turned on all the time, maybe when I drive it it will make sense ?

I can't understand why the lane assist is the default on car's with travel assist, it has to be turned on all the time, maybe when I drive it it will make sense ?

It's for the NCAP test, it has to be on by default and not be simple to switch off for the car to get a high rating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wouldn't hold my breath...

It was the same with the e-Niro. I'm sure it has something to do with TA being on and the driver not realising it. When you turn it on, you should really remember that you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Syrinx

Do you think the extra battery weight could be a problem (safety, range, etc.) if carrying 5 adults and luggage in the Tour 5?

I can't find official figures (battery weights are TBC) but it looks like

kerb weight: 1928kg
    gross: 2300kg
    payload: 372kg (vs ~465kg in Pro versions)

insideevs.com/news/492441/volkswagen-id3-tour-5-seats/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Did a deal for an ID.3 Family in Glacier White this afternoon. The test drive I had last week really swung it for me. It's the most fun I've had in a car, including a decent number of rival EVs over the past few years. Should get it in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Now to get up to speed with all the things that don't quite work 100% 😂

Anybody else in a Family? I thought it was a decent spec, essentially combining the Business and Style models. Could have sprung for the Tech but it's very easy to keep adding €2k to the budget without realising it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Did a deal for an ID.3 Family in Glacier White this afternoon. The test drive I had last week really swung it for me. It's the most fun I've had in a car, including a decent number of rival EVs over the past few years. Should get it in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Now to get up to speed with all the things that don't quite work 100% ��

Anybody else in a Family? I thought it was a decent spec, essentially combining the Business and Style models. Could have sprung for the Tech but it's very easy to keep adding €2k to the budget without realising it ��

Good luck on your puchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Now the wait is a killer! We’re you given an estimated delivery date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

nkay1985 wrote: »

Now to get up to speed with all the things that don't quite work 100% ��

Anybody else in a Family? I thought it was a decent spec, essentially combining the Business and Style models. Could have sprung for the Tech but it's very easy to keep adding €2k to the budget without realising it ��

Looks a nice car, similar in spec to the 1st Plus but with a glass roof. Have you gone for the 200HP? I see it's also available with the lower power.
    What's the list price? The configerator isn't the best atm.

Good luck...

fits wrote: »

We bought an in stock base model scale silver, it still took a week for paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I’m a long time 'lurker' in this forum but decided I’d better sign up as I’ve have finally put down a deposit on my first EV – an ID.3 Tour 5 … July seems very far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

electricus wrote: »
    I’m a long time 'lurker' in this forum but decided I’d better sign up as I’ve have finally put down a deposit on my first EV – an ID.3 Tour 5 … July seems very far away!

Great car, congrats..
    I'm jealous:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Good luck on your puchase.

Thanks a million.

There was one that's just finished being built. It was due for another dealer but my guy managed to do some form of swap or whatever so it's a case of how long to get it delivered. He said he'd expect it to be ready within two to three weeks but sure we'll see. I don't mind waiting that much.
    eagerv wrote: »
    Looks a nice car, similar in spec to the 1st Plus but with a glass roof. Have you gone for the 200HP? I see it's also available with the lower power.
    What's the list price? The configerator isn't the best atm.

Good luck...

Yeah I went with the 204HP; if I'm going to be driving it for a few years, I want to enjoy it 😂 If I was happy with the lower power, I'd probably look at the ID.4 City or Business, as I think they're a nicer looking car but I don't need the space and prefer a fun drive.

ROTR price is €39,725 plus €683 for metallic so €40,408 all in.

The product guide on the website tends to be up to date but, in case it's not, I've attached the pricing page here.

Test drive time tomorrow...

Might be joining the club on Monday when I return it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

How many of us have one on order now?

Fits: Tour
    Mad lad: Tour 5
    Nkay1985: Family
    Electricus: Tour 5

Fuel has gone up three times this week at our local garage. Feels good passing it in ev, not so good in my van.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Have test driven both in recent weeks.

E-Niro is FWD ID.3 is RWD

ID.3 is more involved to drive, holds the road better just nicer to drive.

I think ID.3 has a nicer interior. (I preferred Soul interior out of the 3).

Range slightly better in ID.3 77 kWh than e-niro and it charges faster. Shorter range in smaller battery ID.3 though.

E-Niro probably doesnt have the same bugs with software etc.

ID.3 available at 0% PCP.

ID.3 is better looking and built on dedicated EV platform

E-Niro has more room in boot with flat loading space.

Many thanks for the overview and equates with my own presumptions re driving dynamics / age of design / practicalities. Looks are a subjective choice but the ID3 looks better. One thing the E-Niro has in its favour is the seven year warranty and perhaps the old school controls / switches etc. if that's your thing. One other question...which model of ID3 matches the Irish spec E-Niro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Is it possible to keep the car turned on with nobody in the driver seat? Me or my partner will often sit in the back seat next to the baby while the other runs into the shop or whatever, but I can’t find any way to keep the radio on or open or close the windows or anything when doing this.

Advertisement