Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I trust you're all "Sport" mode drivers, none of this Eco crap?

Don't like Sport mode on the ID.3, because regen is too strong for me. I prefer zero regen, which then utilises the smart regen. But I do like the throttle response of "Sport", so usually use an individual mode made up how I like it. Or comfort mode which is just as fast as sport. Depends on my mood:).

Phil, hope you tried the smart regen, or what ever it is called. It's quite clever, slowing up at roundabouts, junctions, vehicles ahead, speed limits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

eagerv wrote: »
    Phil, hope you tried the smart regen, or what ever it is called. It's quite clever, slowing up at roundabouts, junctions, vehicles ahead, speed limits etc.

Ooh, never spotted that and I dug through pretty much every menu.

Ooh, never spotted that and I dug through pretty much every menu.

Think it comes on by default if you are in any other mode than Sport. Providing you are in "D".

Pity, I like it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

None of this Eco crap here... but I didn't like sport mode in the Ioniq (throttle too twitchy) and I never really bothered in the e-Niro either, just the normal mode was fine.

With the ID.3 you can set your preferences in the individual mode. If I had the use of my car for any length of time, I might play with that setting. :P

What’s up with it now? Sometimes I wonder at our decision with all the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Don't like Sport mode on the ID.3, because regen is too strong for me. I prefer zero regen, which then utilises the smart regen. But I do like the throttle response of "Sport", so usually use an individual mode made up how I like it. Or comfort mode which is just as fast as sport. Depends on my mood:).

I noticed that in my test drive, its cool the way it seems to regen based on the road ahead - using the camera I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

fits wrote: »
    What’s up with it now? Sometimes I wonder at our decision with all the issues.

Thankfully, the problems I'm having are pretty rare. My car just doesn't seem to get on with the 2.1 software.
    The ICAS1 module has already been replaced and it partially solved the problem of installing the update, but some of it doesn't seem to have taken.

The dealer is having a live session with Wolfsburg, with the car connected to the diagnostic system. They seem confident.... again. :D

electricus wrote: »
    I noticed that in my test drive, its cool the way it seems to regen based on the road ahead - using the camera I assume?

Yes it's great for economy. Car free wheels unless it needs to slow up.

And you can set the speed limit to +5km/h or whatever to allow for error

Yes it's great for economy. Car free wheels unless it needs to slow up.

And you can set the speed limit to +5km/h or whatever to allow for error

Can you?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Dealer told me this afternoon that he's been invoiced for my car so he expects it to be ready to go next week sometime. Here's hoping!

Hard to tell really. I drive my own car differently than I drive the loaner (like I stole it :D)

If I had to say, and based on nothing at all but feeling, I'd say that the 58kWh is a bit more nimble. I've had no handling problems with my Tour. It grips well, but going fast into a tight bend, you feel the extra weight.

I'll be back in the loaner tomorrow, so I'll try to do a bit of a comparison.

These are the weight differences between the Family (58) and the Tour versions. It looks like the 5 seat Tour is lighter than the 4 seat but has a higher max load - is that likely to mean a harder ride when empty but softer at full load? (not to be quoted out of context :D)

ID-3-weights.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

electricus wrote: »
    Which version did you order?

Tour 5. Haven't ordered yet. Still haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Tour 5. Haven't ordered yet. Still haggling.

Are dealers discounting much for a straight deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Bif wrote: »

I was offered the life base model with metallic paint for 33000 straight, 34000 with pcp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

best i've got so far is 2.5k off list price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Patmwgs wrote: »
    We bought an in stock base model scale silver, it still took a week for paperwork.

really? I was told it only takes a day or two for a car which is in stock

charlieIRL wrote: »
    really? I was told it only takes a day or two for a car which is in stock

They have to apply for the grant on your behalf after you sign up and register the car. Thats after you are approved of the finance it you go down that road.

Have a longish trip tomorrow morning, from west Wexford to near Foynes, Limerick, then home later. About 350km total.

Had a look at charging on route, it's pretty dismal apart from a few 11kW. The only faster charger on route as far as I can see is Clonmel, so may detour a little via Ionity Cashel on way home.

Road is generally a slower one, reckon could do the whole trip without charging if there wasn't torrential rain and stormy weather forecast..:(

With regards to the difference in speed and handling on the 58kWh/77kWh. I asked the question on Facebook and got this from someone who owned both.

553535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did they answer in size 36 font or was that just your screenshot? ;)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

With regards to the difference in speed and handling on the 58kWh/77kWh. I asked the question on Facebook and got this from someone who owned both.

Very interesting, I was expecting the opposite!!

• Advertisement

553535.jpg

Would be interested to know what make of tyres were on the two cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Would be interested to know what make of tyres were on the two cars

There's that and also the windscreens... some have the insulated windscreen/windows, other trims dont, so I wouldnt make any assumptions about 58 vs 77 just on that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

That is really interesting. Thanks Phil. I have two other queries re ID3 spec:
    1) can anyone detail their experience of 18” v 19” wheels in terms of handling, comfort and road noise?
    2) can anyone say if the upgraded sound system (extra two speakers) is much better than basic system?

Thanks.

BTW. I have had two short trips in two different cars, one with 18 and one with 19” wheels. For what it’s worth on such short trips my own view is the car with 18” wheels was more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

ewj1978 wrote: »
    best i've got so far is 2.5k off list price.

VW Ireland updated the price list last week, (the one dated May 10th)if one looks at the Life 58kw, they added a third one,(204hp) which is €1,800 cheaper than normal 58kw 204hp version, but marked with * so very limited stock available.

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2021/my21_master/ID3_MY21.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

1) can anyone detail their experience of 18” v 19” wheels in terms of handling, comfort and road noise?
    2) can anyone say if the upgraded sound system (extra two speakers) is much better than basic system?

I have driven an ID.3 on 20s and the 18s and to me it handles better on the 20s. It is definitely noisier and you normally lose some of the comfort as you go up in sizes.

Not heard the system with 6 speakers. But you will have 6 cheap speakers instead of 4 cheap speakers. Will be louder I assume but not better. They seem to cut out the lower frequencies as you turn it up, to protect the speakers probably.

Lol, just the screenshot. Sorry the font looks fine on my phone, maybe it's massive on a PC?

I've asked about the tyre sizes. And yes the spec of the car maybe has an impact.

553535.jpg

I agree with his assessment! :D

Back in the ID.3 1st Plus now. It's a little more bouncy on bumpy roads than the Tour.

It's interesting how much better it is with the software working well. It kinda feels like the car should feel. Everything just works. Probably aside from timed charging.

Thanks.

BTW. I have had two short trips in two different cars, one with 18 and one with 19” wheels. For what it’s worth on such short trips my own view is the car with 18” wheels was more comfortable.

I had a Plus for two days with 19" Continentals (IIRC). My own has 18" Goodyear.

If anything I would say the 18" were a little quieter and more comfortable. But hardly noticeable. I did notice that the 19" tracked slightly better, self centering quicker after a turn. Felt a little sportier. But could have been down to tyre pressures and make.

Thanks.

If you read up on the uk id3 forum plus the speakev forum, they are of the opinion 18inch has more rubber between you and the road and is the best comfort wise on the bad roads.

• Advertisement

Both folk on Facebook who said similar, (minimally less power but more comfortable), were using 19" on both cars they drove.

Advertisement