Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

handpref wrote: »
    Family member here considering an id3-

Can anyone confirm that the id3 cannot be charged using night rate ?

I’ve been hearing mixed info about this, it may only affect the id4 where scheduled charging isn’t working.

Many thanks

My kia soul has no app so I just plug it in before going to bed. Might be the first hour on normal before it ticks over to night rate.
    The ID3 itself I've heard is temperamental but it will charge when you plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

KCross wrote: »
    The charge timers in the car don’t work yet.
    You need to manually start it or use your charge point timers.

ID3 and ID4 are the same.

Good on ya KCross, great to know for definite, that is ridiculous- how they are managing to sell so many I don’t know...it’s a shame but it’s now off the list.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    My kia soul has no app so I just plug it in before going to bed. Might be the first hour on normal before it ticks over to night rate.
    The ID3 itself I've heard is temperamental but it will charge when you plug in.

Are you sure there isn’t a schedule charge in the menu? The niro phev has that option, might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

fits wrote: »
    Just saw a lead time of 25 weeks in uk forum for life model !!!

The old diesel is up for tax renewal in September. At 950 per annum I dont even want to be forking out for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

What is the issue with plugging in before bed even if it consumes some non night rate ?
    Is it the hassle or a bit of both?

Doesn’t seem a big issue in the short term ?

• Advertisement

Imo its no hassle. Yeah over the lifetime of owning the car its going to cost you a fraction more.
    I've only been on night rate since last year. Prior to that I used to charge only on day rate. Never bothered me then. Still miles cheaper than petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Family member here considering an id3-

Can anyone confirm that the id3 cannot be charged using night rate ?

I’ve been hearing mixed info about this, it may only affect the id4 where scheduled charging isn’t working.

Many thanks

As others have mentioned, plug in when home in evening. Stop charging from app. Start charging from app when going to bed, have car set to charge to 80% or whatever you want from your app. Will stop charging when reaches that amount. If required, heat car 10 minutes or so before you leave in morning with app.(Draws from house electricity).
    Works reliably, very little hassle for me as I am rarely in bed before 12.

If it's any consolation, our Ioniq 28 is hit and miss with scheduled charging/heating as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

it does seem ridiculous that the boffins at vw can't get a timer to work properly. they managed it on my egolf; it's just a timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Imo its no hassle. Yeah over the lifetime of owning the car its going to cost you a fraction more.
    I've only been on night rate since last year. Prior to that I used to charge only on day rate. Never bothered me then. Still miles cheaper than petrol.

I don't understand why everyone is getting hung up on all this timed charging stuff. People just getting themselves worked up over something so small. Yes it should work. No it doesn't work at the moment. Yes VW will fix it.

If I head to bed at 10pm and start a charge using the app I'll pay a total of 10c per unit more for two hours.

it does seem ridiculous that the boffins at vw can't get a timer to work properly. they managed it on my egolf; it's just a timer.

Agree totally, I think they over complicated the system so that the car would know where it was and the charging you required at that location. In other cars you usually have to press a button "Charge now" or "charge using timer".

I find it's only a minor inconvenience at the moment, VW have to get it right eventually..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

How much cheaper than running a petrol car do you think it is, if somebody is charging solely on standard rate? My sister-in-law was asking this question the other day and I haven't looked into it enough to have an answer. My plan is to charge for free in work most of the time and I'm not so worried about the cost at home.

I'm collecting my Family model on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Good on ya KCross, great to know for definite, that is ridiculous- how they are managing to sell so many I don’t know...it’s a shame but it’s now off the list.

It’s not a big deal. Easy enough to work around and charge on night rate.

It will get fixed in an update from VW.

Don’t rule the car out for that if everything else suits their needs. It is a great car.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    How much cheaper than running a petrol car do you think it is, if somebody is charging solely on standard rate? My sister-in-law was asking this question the other day and I haven't looked into it enough to have an answer. My plan is to charge for free in work most of the time and I'm not so worried about the cost at home.

Just using figures from the top of my head, charging at home will cost you somewhere between 1 and 3c per km, depending on your driving style and energy supplier. A petrol car doing 50mpg will cost approx 8c per km.

But you have to also take into account lower motor tax, lower insurance (In my case), reduced tolls and hopefully less servicing/repairs. Also bear in mind that if you have a night rate you can program other household items such as washing/drier, dishwasher, immersion heater etc to further reduce your energy costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

It’s not a big deal. Easy enough to work around and charge on night rate.

It will get fixed in an update from VW.

Don’t rule the car out for that if everything else suits their needs. It is a great car.

I guess that rules out Audi Etrons and Skoda Enyaqs for you as well. Same platform same issues.

nkay1985 wrote: »

Day rate is say 18c a KW. Car has a 58kwh battery. So that's €10.44 per full tank and a range of 350km.
    A frugal diesel uses 6l/100km. So that's 6 x €1.36=8.16 x 3.5= €28.56.

eagerv wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, plug in when home in evening. Stop charging from app. Start charging from app when going to bed, have car set to charge to 80% or whatever you want from your app. Will stop charging when reaches that amount. If required, heat car 10 minutes or so before you leave in morning with app.(Draws from house electricity).
    Works reliably, very little hassle for me as I am rarely in bed before 12.

If it's any consolation, our Ioniq 28 is hit and miss with scheduled charging/heating as well..

I could plug in my Leaf back in 2014 and charge it on night rate, I can plug in both the zoe and i3 every night to charge alternatively on night rate. It doesn’t make sense to not have gen 1 leaf technology in a new car, disappointing from vw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I could plug in my Leaf back in 2014 and charge it on night rate, I can plug in both the zoe and i3 every night to charge alternatively on night rate. It doesn’t make sense to not have gen 1 leaf technology in a new car, disappointing from vw.

The only thing stopping you charging an ID car at night rate prices is if you don't have a night rate tariff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I find it strange that the eGolf can set a timed charge from the car but the newer ID3 can’t? As mentioned previously it’s probably just a software update away

Does the We Connect app work with the ID3? I use it a lot with the eGolf and hope it does with the new car, I have a few different timers set with it

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I find it strange that the eGolf can set a timed charge from the car but the newer ID3 can’t? As mentioned previously it’s probably just a software update away

Does the We Connect app work with the ID3? I use it a lot with the eGolf and hope it does with the new car, I have a few different timers set with it

Mine has worked more or less flawlessly since day 2 of ownership. The ID range have their own We Connect app which is quite basic but does everything I need atm. Can be a bit slow to instigate commands, but gets there eventually:)

Forget about timers atm...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

eagerv wrote: »
    Mine has worked more or less flawlessly since day 2 of ownership. The ID range have their own We Connect app which is quite basic but does everything I need atm. Can be a bit slow to instigate commands, but gets there eventually:)

Forget about timers atm...

Great to hear.

Do you use We Connect ID as well? It works for the eGolf too so probably only a matter of deleting the eGolf and adding the ID3 when I get it

Very handy for seeing % of charge left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Great to hear.

Do you use We Connect ID as well? It works for the eGolf too so probably only a matter of deleting the eGolf and adding the ID3 when I get it

I think its the id3 connect app that he is talking about. I did a timed charge from my charger last night from 2am to 8am and it charged up no problem from 60% to 100

Great to hear.

Yes, the We Connect ID app. More or less instant for seeing range, charge% etc but when you ask to turn on heating or change charging % can be a bit slow. Resist temptation to turn off and on again as this sometimes throws up an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

For anyone interested in a spacesaver spare wheel, the tiguan 145/80R18 wheel will fit with a 3mm wheel spacer. It will fit on the rear without the spacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Few questions:

1. What's the consensus on the heat pump option? Worth the extra 1500 or not?

2. What's the consensus on the "software issues"? Is it considered fixed now?

3. Does the ID3 Life include 100 kW DC and 11 kW AC charging? I'd like few options extra but the jump from Life to the Business/Family is way too high to justify them for me. Sadly not many extras can be added to the predefined trims (unlike Skoda).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McGiver wrote: »
    Short answer, no. I haven't seen anyone recommend it.

From what I can gather it's mostly sorted. Particularly on new build cars. Some older cars that have had the software updated still having a few problems but if you're buying new it should be fine.

3. Does the ID3 Life include 100 kW DC and 11 kW AC charging?
    Yes. I think all Irish models have those as standard now. The 2 Tour models have 125kW DC & 11kW AC.

Few questions:

3. Does the ID3 Life include 100 kW DC and 11 kW AC charging? I'd like few options extra but the jump from Life to the Business/Family is way too high to justify them for me. Sadly not many extras can be added to the predefined trims (unlike Skoda).

Heat Pump has been shown to gain only around 20-30 Kms more range which is not very useful unless driving to the limit of the cars range frequently so my opinion is that it's certainly not worth 1500 Euros.

Still software issues for many but improving all the time. Not sure about brand new cars.

100 kw minimum though can't remember if the more basic cars include 100 Kw or not ? remember there's a 145 hp version now too but from what i can see it's the same price so not sure what's going on there, don't know if the 145 Hp includes 100 Kw charging.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    From what I can gather it's mostly sorted. Particularly on new build cars. Some older cars that have had the software updated still having a few problems but if you're buying new it should be fine.
    Still software issues for many but improving all the time. Not sure about brand new cars.

The software issues are largely sorted (odd glitch) with the big exception of the in-car charging timers.... they are still entirely broken regardless of whether you get a new car or have an original with the software updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The software issues are largely sorted (odd glitch) with the big exception of the in-car charging timers.... they are still entirely broken regardless of whether you get a new car or have an original with the software updated.

Are VW still denying responsibility on that one? I thought I read that they were blaming the charger manufacturers which was daft.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Are VW still denying responsibility on that one? I thought I read that they were blaming the charger manufacturers which was daft.

Two issues there....

- charging timers... VW know they have an issue. It has nothing to do with the charge point manufacturers as it makes no difference what charge point you have.... dumb or smart. I have not seen VW make any denial on this issue.

- Solar integration.... VW were in denial on this one and blamed the charge points and we got the "working as per the charging standard" response. They have softened their stance a little and have made improvements in the 2.x updates and it now works most of the time but not 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'm thinking of getting a ID.3 Tour 5 on pcp finance. Has anyone got this spec on pcp and what deal did you get?
    I'd ideally get the ID.4 Tech model but the 3.9% pcp makes the jump up a lot bigger.

Advertisement