Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sounds like if I have a life model, I need to get my gmfv down, the numbers don't make sense to me.

Deposit 7k
    Monthly 390e (14k total)
    Gmfv 17k

Total 38k, seems high for a life right?

Don't think the 0% PCP is available on the base model?

Edit: 0% is available.

Are you buying through a company or anything and not able to get the SEAI grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ACAandCTA

I just put down money on an ID.3 Style - the garage
    could get it 1st week in July from another showroom of theirs.

Rang around a couple of other garages recently and they had said for new orders to be sceptical of being told it would arrive before August, could be as late as October.

Was also looking for suggestions on chargers - seems the zappi and eo mini pro are most popular. I don't have solar PV but may down the line. Other than that,any other factors to suggest one or the other?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Don't think the 0% PCP is available on the base model?

Edit: 0% is available.

Are you buying through a company or anything and not able to get the SEAI grant?

Private, although my golf trade in is a high spec highline, and he'd said he would try match that standard so maybe it's not the life model.

I'll report back tomorrow when I call him

Private, although my golf trade in is a high spec highline, and he'd said he would try match that standard so maybe it's not the life model.

I'll report back tomorrow when I call him

It's definitely not a Life. Most likely a Tech if its €38k after including metallic and delivery charges.

And if it is a Tech, are the extras worth it?
    The life seems very cheap

• Advertisement

And if it is a Tech, are the extras worth it?
    The life seems very cheap

Just have a look on the online configurator, it'll tell you what you're getting spec wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Some specs and prices from a while ago...

rx8 wrote: »
    Some specs and prices from a while ago...

Star, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sounds like if I have a life model, I need to get my gmfv down, the numbers don't make sense to me.

Deposit 7k
    Monthly 390e (14k total)
    Gmfv 17k

€38k is around Style money, I think. GMFV of Style is just around €17k as well, from memory. It's €17,552 on the Family.

Deposit 7k
    Monthly 390e (14k total)
    Gmfv 17k

There's a couple of ways to look at PCP.

1: High PCP Cost covers VW in the event depreciation is high or you go over your agreed mileage a lot or both because you're paying a large proportion of the cost of the car, remember, with PCP you pay interest + depreciation, depreciation is already calculated into the cost with the agreed mileage
    but they also allow room for higher depreciation. if mileage is reasonably over the limit they're not going to let that be the result in the loss of a sale.

2 : PCP is priced high to ensure you have equity in the car after 3 years because a lot of people moan about having no equity in the car despite lower monthly payments, you get nothing for nothing, if you have 4 or 5 K deposit going forward then you're paying for it by higher monthly payments and at 0% I wouldn't complain too much. VW know what the price will be after 3 years and xx Kms because they set the prices or your mileage could be dramatically under the agreed.

After year 2 if 2nd hand demand is high for the id.3 the dealer might call you to tempt you into a new car for the same money per month because you'll be paying more for the PCP, not necessarily a bad thing but at 0% interest to begin with I'm not sure how they can make a deal any better unless they knock a good few grand off the list price but if demand is high and they can swing it that you'll be paying much the same it could be very tempting.

• Advertisement

There's a couple of ways to look at PCP.

1: High PCP Cost covers VW in the event depreciation is high or you go over your agreed mileage a lot or both because you're paying a large proportion of the cost of the car, remember, with PCP you pay interest + depreciation, depreciation is already calculated into the cost with the agreed mileage
    but they also allow room for higher depreciation. if mileage is reasonably over the limit they're not going to let that be the result in the loss of a sale.

2 : PCP is priced high to ensure you have equity in the car after 3 years because a lot of people moan about having no equity in the car despite lower monthly payments, you get nothing for nothing, if you have 4 or 5 K deposit going forward then you're paying for it by higher monthly payments and at 0% I wouldn't complain too much. VW know what the price will be after 3 years and xx Kms because they set the prices or your mileage could be dramatically under the agreed.

After year 2 if 2nd hand demand is high for the id.3 the dealer might call you to tempt you into a new car for the same money per month because you'll be paying more for the PCP, not necessarily a bad thing but at 0% interest to begin with I'm not sure how they can make a deal any better unless they knock a good few grand off the list price but if demand is high and they can swing it that you'll be paying much the same it could be very tempting.

Cheers for the detailed post, I do follow a number of your threads and appreciate the reply!

Could you help me understand for number 1, I thought PCP was just another payment method at 0% interest I shouldn't be paying anything outside of the agreed total price, before we hash out payment methods.
    I presume when you say I pay interest, you only mean on non 0% deals?

For 2, I could be way off here but I don't follow your logic on this point at all, surely the higher the final price, the less equity I have.

The way to look at PCP is as a payment method, nothing more or less, agree your sale price upfront then if you want to, ask to pay over a PCP term. I've only ever looked at 0% deals thou.

Ive had a text from the rep earlier and it was indeed the style model, so the numbers look fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Morning folks,
    Not sure if this is the right place, but given there is this thread on the ID3 and another one on the ID4, I didn't want to clog the forum with a new one!

I've been following these 2 threads for a while and have done my best to learn all the lingo and battery types etc, but I admit I find it all very confusing.

I test drove the ID3 and ID4 last weekend and I really like them both. I felt like I was getting a v hard sell from the dealer towards the ID4, but wonder if any of you guys could help me untangle the 2 deals and see which might be better for me?

I live alone so there's no need for child seats etc (thank god). Both cars seems to be coming in at approx the same price so cost is not a decider. The 2 scenarios:

ID3 - cant remember battery size but range is 420km. Panoramic roof. Style edition. Loved how nippy this was and felt pretty comfy.
    ID4 - again cant remember battery but range is 340km. Style edition. Was still nippy, but less so. Super comfy driving position.

I think neither come with the rear camera?

With what I think is a derisory trade in offer of €6,000 that I managed to get up to €7,500 on my 9 year old Toyota Auris Hybrid with 41km on the clock, both are coming in at near enough €30K to change.

I'm torn what to do. Should I go for the ID4 with it's potentially better resale value or the ID3 as a 4 is too big for me? Or should I look at something else entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Morning folks,
    Not sure if this is the right place, but given there is this thread on the ID3 and another one on the ID4, I didn't want to clog the forum with a new one!

I've been following these 2 threads for a while and have done my best to learn all the lingo and battery types etc, but I admit I find it all very confusing.

I test drove the ID3 and ID4 last weekend and I really like them both. I felt like I was getting a v hard sell from the dealer towards the ID4, but wonder if any of you guys could help me untangle the 2 deals and see which might be better for me?

I live alone so there's no need for child seats etc (thank god). Both cars seems to be coming in at approx the same price so cost is not a decider. The 2 scenarios:

ID3 - cant remember battery size but range is 420km. Panoramic roof. Style edition. Loved how nippy this was and felt pretty comfy.
    ID4 - again cant remember battery but range is 340km. Style edition. Was still nippy, but less so. Super comfy driving position.

With what I think is a derisory trade in offer of €6,000 that I managed to get up to €7,500 on my 9 year old Toyota Auris Hybrid with 41km on the clock, both are coming in at near enough €30K to change.

I'm torn what to do. Should I go for the ID4 with it's potentially better resale value or the ID3 as a 4 is too big for me? Or should I look at something else entirely?

I would say if you don't need the extra space then the ID.3 is the one to go for. It's still got plenty of room inside in case you're carrying some friends on a road trip

The Style edition has the 58kWh battery. Unless you're commuting from Galway to Dublin every day then you don't need the bigger battery

In terms of resale value, then it's anyone's guess. I would say generally cheaper cars don't depreciate as badly so that's probably another point for the ID.3

For trade in value, the best thing to do is look up your current car on Carzone and Donedeal and get an idea of how much equivalent cars are selling for. Knock about 10-20% off the average asking price and that's what you're likely to be offered

Unfortunately because the ID.3 is selling well and there's a 0% offer on PCP, then you probably won't get a great offer for trade in. There's just not much pressure on dealers to sell off cars quickly

You can always consider selling privately if you're willing to take a few hours work and dealing with the public. You'll typically get a few thousand more than what you're being offered by the dealership

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

It always comes down to personal preference.
    Is the Id4 too big for you? Is the id3 too low for you.

The id.3 58kwh style has no rear camera.
    The id.4 52kwh style has no camera either.

Personally think the id4 is a great looking thing but wouldn't be buying the low battery version. But that's me personally now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ewj1978 wrote: »
    It always comes down to personal preference.
    Is the Id4 too big for you? Is the id3 too low for you.

The id.3 58kwh style has no rear camera.
    The id.4 52kwh style has no camera either.

Personally think the id4 is a great looking thing but wouldn't be buying the low battery version. But that's me personally now.

The ID.4 Style (52kWh) does have the rear view camera, the ID.4 City (52kWh) does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Saw another ID.3 in my estate, white 1st Edition, think it might be a 1st Plus based on the alloys

That's 2 now, plus my ID.4. These ID cars are multiplying like rabbits :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Cheers for the detailed post, I do follow a number of your threads and appreciate the reply!

Could you help me understand for number 1, I thought PCP was just another payment method at 0% interest I shouldn't be paying anything outside of the agreed total price, before we hash out payment methods.
    I presume when you say I pay interest, you only mean on non 0% deals?

Yea, in this case it's 0% so you can look at PCP here as just a cheap loan.

So, no, you shouldn't be paying more than the total cost to drive out the gate with a 0% interest PCP, on pcp you should be paying less than the total cost of the car.
    For 2, I could be way off here but I don't follow your logic on this point at all, surely the higher the final price, the less equity I have.

The higher the GFMV the less likely you're going to want to pay that to own the car which in my opinion is the way PCP is supposed to be, low monthly payments, low deposit and yes you're correct, the higher the GFMV the less likely you're likely to have Equity but remember, you pay for Equity, VW know what the car will be worth after 3 years and xxxx Kms, they set the prices.

Higher Equity and lower GFMV mean higher monthly payments, you pay for the equity.
    The way to look at PCP is as a payment method, nothing more or less, agree your sale price upfront then if you want to, ask to pay over a PCP term. I've only ever looked at 0% deals thou.

Yes this is it, it's all agreed before you sign the paperwork, read carefully and don't be afraid to ask the salesman to explain anything.

I too am paying a higher monthly payment than I like, total repayment is 36,513 however, with the 0% it will be around 1300 less, this is over 20,000 kms per year and my mileage is 30 odd K Kms a year which means equity will be less.

Ive had a text from the rep earlier and it was indeed the style model, so the numbers look fine now

Excellent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Morning folks,

Hi, can you give us an idea of your typical driving, ie city/rural, motorways etc. And approx mileage. Do you have off street parking to install a home charger?

Trade in looks fair for a 9 yr old Auris, asking prices on Carzone appear generally to be €7K and €9K. If you could get €7K privately for your car you should be able to get a better deal on a new car. Does your Auris still have the Toyota Hybrid warranty? Makes selling the car easier, as we found out when selling our 2009 Prius. Sold more or less instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Morning folks,

If you dont need too many extras, look at the specs on the id3 58kw life. It will bring tbe price back quite a bit. Fabulous car. The panoramic roof on some of the higher spec models will toast you in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

I'm trying to decide between ID3 Life (~34k) and ID3 Style (~36k). Is the panoramic roof bad for summer days? It looks too tempting to refuse :D

Also, how come the WLTP kms range on 140 HP & 200 HP engines is same?
    I would've thought km range would go down if power went up.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to decide between ID3 Life (~34k) and ID3 Style (~36k). Is the panoramic roof bad for summer days? It looks too tempting to refuse :D

Also, how come the WLTP kms range on 140 HP & 200 HP engines is same?
    I would've thought km range would go down if power went up.

I wouldn't expect much difference, but haven't tried one with a panoramic roof. There is a sun blind isn't there?
    The black roof and the large glass area (Especially frontal) absorbs a lot of heat even without a glass roof. The Id.3 is a lot hotter in sunnier weather than our all white Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

eagerv wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect much difference, but haven't tried one with a panoramic roof. There is a sun blind isn't there?
    The black roof and the large glass area (Especially frontal) absorbs a lot of heat even without a glass roof. The Id.3 is a lot hotter in sunnier weather than our all white Ioniq.

Must say I find my ID4 1st (no glass roof) to be very warm - sometimes uncomfortably so as someone who likes a cool car usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

eagerv wrote: »
    Hi, can you give us an idea of your typical driving, ie city/rural, motorways etc. And approx mileage. Do you have off street parking to install a home charger?

Trade in looks fair for a 9 yr old Auris, asking prices on Carzone appear generally to be €7K and €9K. If you could get €7K privately for your car you should be able to get a better deal on a new car. Does your Auris still have the Toyota Hybrid warranty? Makes selling the car easier, as we found out when selling our 2009 Prius. Sold more or less instantly.

Hi, I live in Dublin and really only drive into town & back for work during normal times. The odd drive down the country for a break which would be motorway. My mileage is quite low.
    I have off street parking to install a charger.
    I’m terrible at spending money on myself which is why I think I’m struggling with this decision. Buying an ID4 seems like a “waste” as it’s bigger, but I did like the feel of it and the driving position.

Thanks for the information re the trade in!

Hi, I live in Dublin and really only drive into town & back for work during normal times. The odd drive down the country for a break which would be motorway. My mileage is quite low.
    I have off street parking to install a charger.
    I’m terrible at spending money on myself which is why I think I’m struggling with this decision. Buying an ID4 seems like a “waste” as it’s bigger, but I did like the feel of it and the driving position.

Thanks for the information re the trade in!

I notice your Auris has very low mileage for a nine year old car. I have the base 1st ID.3 which I really like, giving me a range around 400km in warmer weather and about 300km in coldest. But I don't have much motorways , living rural south east.
    Alternatively, if you do not need the range there are many good second hand EVs on the market. Highly recommended on this forum is the Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh. It's well equipped, efficient and can be bought from around 17K. It's what we first bought to see if an EV would work for us. It has:), wife has it now and loves it..

Hey guys, Do you know if there's a catch to the 0% APR offer on ID.3?
    Sounds a bit too good to be true and I have trust issues with VW ever since Dieselgate :p

Hey guys, Do you know if there's a catch to the 0% APR offer on ID.3?
    Sounds a bit too good to be true and I have trust issues with VW ever since Dieselgate :p

Collecting this week, I haven't found a catch

Collecting this week, I haven't found a catch

Nice one :)
    Which one did you go for? So many options to choose from

Nice one :)
    Which one did you go for? So many options to choose from

58KWh Style! But the base life model is a great price too

Looks like it will be the middle of July for my id.3 Tour 5.

• Advertisement

Looks like it will be the middle of July for my id.3 Tour 5.

It's only 6 weeks..:)
    Yep, I hate waiting for anything..

Advertisement