Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Hi all, there is probably are more suitable thread for this but was just wondering how to safely remove white paint specks on paintwork that I recently discovered.
    I'm slightly concerned about the black lip over the bonnet especially, and scratches potentially showing up there. Any advice on how to remove and what do people generally do/use to maintain scratch free body. Would be apprehensive about using public car washes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Looks like it will be the middle of July for my id.3 Tour 5.

Likewise, dealer is estimating July 16th for my Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

heron_joe wrote: »
    Hi all, there is probably are more suitable thread for this but was just wondering how to safely remove white paint specks on paintwork that I recently discovered.
    I'm slightly concerned about the black lip over the bonnet especially, and scratches potentially showing up there. Any advice on how to remove and what do people generally do/use to maintain scratch free body. Would be apprehensive about using public car washes also.

Interesting question.:). What sort of paint are the spots? I would try a tar remover first (Holts I find the best of the motor factor ones). If no luck I am sure there are other stronger ways, best to put the question out on the detailing thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1602

eagerv wrote: »
    Interesting question.:). What sort of paint are the spots? I would try a tar remover first (Holts I find the best of the motor factor ones). If no luck I am sure there are other stronger ways, best to put the question out on the detailing thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1602

Thanks a mill eagerv :) It's white emulsion paint I think.

Thanks a mill eagerv :) It's white emulsion paint I think.

Emulsion paint is normally cleaned with white spirits, so I would try a bit of car tar remover which is probably something similar. Leave for a few mins then dab off with a damp cloth. Don't rub or may scratch..

But don't take my advice, ask the experts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Likewise, dealer is estimating July 16th for my Tour.

I wonder will yours, ours and mad lads be on the same boat? Dealer said same to me. They might manufacture a batch of rhd tours at same time.

I’m finding the wait really hard as well. Although I’ve no home charger installed yet.

It's only 6 weeks..:)
    Yep, I hate waiting for anything..

I had to wait 2 months for one of my Radio antennas, really hate waiting myself, but the wait was worth it, first night I hooked it up I made contact with A chap in Brazil I was beside myself, a portable antenna just 17 feet tall and 2 nights after that got to Argentina, definitely worth the wait and still making great long distant contacts :D so hoping the wait is worth it for the id.3 but I think after I get over the fright of getting used to travel assist it will be worth the wait, that's the main thing I care about and Apple car Play no other gadget could possibly be worth it over around 800 odd kms of motorway driving a week, that and the range I suppose I won't know myself having 400 odd kms range from the work charge point! :D

fits wrote: »
    I wonder will yours, ours and mad lads be on the same boat? Dealer said same to me. They might manufacture a batch of rhd tours at same time.

I’m finding the wait really hard as well. Although I’ve no home charger installed yet.

They all could be on the same boat, the delay I think is due to chip shortages which might effect the tours more due to the extra compute power ?

I had to wait 2 months for one of my Radio antennas, really hate waiting myself, but the wait was worth it, first night I hooked it up I made contact with A chap in Brazil I was beside myself, a portable antenna just 17 feet tall and 2 nights after that got to Argentina, definitely worth the wait and still making great long distant contacts :D so hoping the wait is worth it for the id.3 but I think after I get over the fright of getting used to travel assist it will be worth the wait, that's the main thing I care about and Apple car Play no other gadget could possibly be worth it over around 800 odd kms of motorway driving a week, that and the range I suppose I won't know myself having 400 odd kms range from the work charge point! :D

Face Time or WhatsApp is free, ya know?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you tell them lads how ridiculous it is you have to spend so much to get travel assist on the ID3? :P

• Advertisement

Face Time or WhatsApp is free, ya know?:D

Yeah but that's too easy, there's no challenge and there's a real buzz reaching that far with just 100 watts of power and a 17 foot long antenna to another radio and antenna thousands of kms away or the far side of the planet with no infrastructure in between just bouncing a signal off of the ionosphere. :D

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you tell them lads how ridiculous it is you have to spend so much to get travel assist on the ID3? :P

ha ha no but the topic of electric cars comes up from time to time, it can be very interesting listening to intercontinental radio communications on shortwave and people's different thoughts and opinions on electric cars and infrastructure.

TitianGerm wrote: »

I suppose it's not bad value considering he got almost an original Leaf extra over ours..:)

I suppose it's not bad value considering he got almost an original Leaf extra over ours..:)

Explain that one. :D

Explain that one. :D

Your battery will be almost as big as the 58kWh+ Original Leaf:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Emulsion paint is normally cleaned with white spirits, so I would try a bit of car tar remover which is probably something similar. Leave for a few mins then dab off with a damp cloth. Don't rub or may scratch..

Emulsion is water based!

mad m wrote: »
    Emulsion is water based!

Yes you are right, mixing up my paints..:)

Then warm water should clean off his paint spots?

heron_joe, disregard what I said about emulsion paint, I was wrong.
    Its a water based paint so should be able to remove easily.. My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd try water first, a lot of emulsion paints are water based now so it might shift it and less likely to damage the paint

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah but that's too easy, there's no challenge and there's a real buzz reaching that far with just 100 watts of power and a 17 foot long antenna to another radio and antenna thousands of kms away or the far side of the planet with no infrastructure in between just bouncing a signal off of the ionosphere. :D

Haha, Radio Mad Lad :D

Makes me want to get my license just to tune in :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Your battery will be almost as big as the 58kWh+ Original Leaf:)

Ah yes, seems like a long time ago now since I got the leaf in 2015 and and 57 Kwh more battery capacity than the 21 available in the leaf then. :D

I'd try water first, a lot of emulsion paints are water based now so it might shift it and less likely to damage the paint

Thanks folks :) I did actually try a cold shampoo at self service Circle K but didn’t use the brush because I read some horror stories about grit getting stuck on the brushes and leading to scratches?

Maybe a hot shampoo would lift it then or I might just go over them with a microfibre cloth and hot water at home :) Never thought about exterior car care this much before :D

Thanks folks :) I did actually try a cold shampoo at self service Circle K but didn’t use the brush because I read some horror stories about grit getting stuck on the brushes and leading to scratches?

Maybe a hot shampoo would lift it then or I might just go over them with a microfibre cloth and hot water at home :) Never thought about exterior car care this much before :D

I went through the auto wash in the i3 loads of times and I'm quite surprised at how well the paint still looks. Modern auto washers are much kinder to cars these days. Hard to wash at home with a 5.5 year old and 7 year old Boys fighting over the hose and the suds, I used to enjoy washing the car! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Any way to get the base 'life' 58kWh trim with alloys? Can you buy them separately anywhere? Just can't comprehend buying a new car in 2021 with steel wheels.

For me this car only seems good value in the lower specs, once you start specing it up it's starts drift into Tesla SR+ range and isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Any way to get the base 'life' 58kWh trim with alloys? Can you buy them separately anywhere? Just can't comprehend buying a new car in 2021 with steel wheels.

For me this car only seems good value in the lower specs, once you start specing it up it's starts drift into Tesla SR+ range and isn't worth it.

Yeah the guy I was dealing with was happy to sell me alloys from the servive department if I wanted to go with a Life model, back in January. Quoted €950 for a set of 18" alloys.

Once the 0% came along and I paid my own car down a little more, I ultimately decided to go for a higher spec but think the Life is actually very well specced for the price, but agree about the steel wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Uber charging speed at Frankfield 50kw charger - 7km/min and 56kW supply:) And gom at 50% -210km:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Gom is moat certainly not linear - 312km @80%

Apparently software 2.3 is due out very soon.

"Battery Life", a German reviewer, has apparently had a sneak preview and is very impressed.

Top spec ID3 is €43,875 but most dealers will give you at least €1k off that and also waive the OTR charge, so less than €43k cash.

Tesla Model 3 SR+ is €48,990 and Tesla don't do haggling.

So the Tesla is more than €6k more expensive, and is only 55kWh compared to 77kWh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Apparently software 2.3 is due out very soon.

"Battery Life", a German reviewer, has apparently had a sneak preview and is very impressed.

Does that mean one should wait before placing an order on an existing ID.3 model?
    Also, any clue which dealers might give a discount and do they give the discount only on an all cash deal? I'm going to use the 0% APR offer.

Advertisement