Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Servicing on the E-Niro seems like a bit of a rip off, every year and I think the mileage is quite restrictive

ID.3 has 2 years unlimited mileage between services

Must look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I actually came on to ask what is the service requirements? And the above answered it.
    So is the services pack worth it if only every 2 years?

I believe that a 3 year service pack at €18 a month gets your 2 year service, which wouldn't be worth it, but also gets you wipers any time you need them, and one set of tyres if you need them (which I definitely would).

Given that a good set of tyres would run you about €400 easy, it would probably be good sense.

I'm waiting for the dealer to confirm the pack details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Servicing on the E-Niro seems like a bit of a rip off, every year and I think the mileage is quite restrictive

ID.3 has 2 years unlimited mileage between services

My id3 had a service sticker saying first service due in 15000km. When i rang up the dealer they checked and said it was 2 years or 30000 which ever is first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My id3 had a service sticker saying first service due in 15000km. When i rang up the dealer they checked and said it was 2 years or 30000 which ever is first.

You can show them this page:

https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/owners-and-users/inspection-and-repair/service-for-electric-cars.html/__layer/layers/ownersandusers/inspectionandrepair/serviceforelectricvehicles/Maintenance-and-inspection/master.layer

Unfortunately I can't link the page directly but there's an option here to see the service intervals, it specifically says unlimited mileage.

There's a display in the infortainment under Vehicle which shows the remaining days until a service is due, other than that there doesn't seem to be any limits

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I think we bought our cars in the same place. I told the salesman that the sticker was going straight in the bin. He mumbled something about looking out for corrosion and some other stuff. Pretty weak, but he's just following the dealer policy. He did have the good grace to look embarrassed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

You can show them this page:

https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/owners-and-users/inspection-and-repair/service-for-electric-cars.html/__layer/layers/ownersandusers/inspectionandrepair/serviceforelectricvehicles/Maintenance-and-inspection/master.layer

Unfortunately I can't link the page directly but there's an option here to see the service intervals, it specifically says unlimited mileage.

There's a display in the infortainment under Vehicle which shows the remaining days until a service is due, other than that there doesn't seem to be any limits

Aye display in car says something like 610 days.. no mention of mileage. Sticker on windscreen also only has May 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

travel assist should be a blessing on long motorway drives, at least that's what i'm hoping. :D

It really is a blessing.

I've had my ID3 for 3 months and have put 11,000km on it already (90% motorway).

Makes for a very relaxed drive. Just wish VW allowed you more time with your hands off the wheel before the car starts complaining at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

dublinscot wrote: »
    It really is a blessing.

I've had my ID3 for 3 months and have put 11,000km on it already (90% motorway).

Makes for a very relaxed drive. Just wish VW allowed you more time with your hands off the wheel before the car starts complaining at you.

Hi Dublinscot. What mileage per kw are you getting on motorway driving? Thanks

dublinscot wrote: »
    It really is a blessing.

If you put your right foot flat on the floor, your knee should be able to touch the wheel. A quick touch with your knee (even through trousers) will cancel the nag. No hands required. :D

It doesn't need movement or resistance to movement like the e-Niro and Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I believe that a 3 year service pack at €18 a month gets your 2 year service, which wouldn't be worth it, but also gets you wipers any time you need them, and one set of tyres if you need them (which I definitely would).

Given that a good set of tyres would run you about €400 easy, it would probably be good sense.

I'm waiting for the dealer to confirm the pack details though.

Great info, keep us posted when you hear back

• Advertisement

Question on the service pack, if one bought an ID 3 from dealer A, but dealer B is more convieniently located, can one one get the servicing done at dealer B when the time comes ?

If you put your right foot flat on the floor, your knee should be able to touch the wheel. A quick touch with your knee (even through trousers) will cancel the nag. No hands required. :D

It doesn't need movement or resistance to movement like the e-Niro and Ioniq.

That doesn't seem to work for me, the car doesn't seem to sense me holding the wheel near the bottom, only at the side

I find if I raise the armrest a tiny bit I hand hold the wheel while resting my arm

I have to agree the travel assist is an absolute lifesaver. I was driving with both the kids in the car and no missus to distract them

The travel assist allowed to free up enough brain cells to keep the peace and answer the 20,000 questions my eldest was asking without worrying about ploughing into a crash barrier

The one place where it isn't great is merges. It'd be nice if it could see cars merging and would give them space, but it'll tend to just try and go full speed. I'll generally take control or reduce the set speed at a busy merge just to be safe

Travel assist can and does receive updates so it will be interesting to see how and if it evolves.

fafy wrote: »
    Question on the service pack, if one bought an ID 3 from dealer A, but dealer B is more convieniently located, can one one get the servicing done at dealer B when the time comes ?

Yep, you don't have to go back to the same franchise. Both my cars are bought outside cork but are cork franchises for service.

Yep, you don't have to go back to the same franchise. Both my cars are bought outside cork but are cork franchises for service.

Excellent, good to know !

fafy wrote: »
    Great info, keep us posted when you hear back

Looking at tyre prices for the 19" tyre. It's 139 on oponeo per tyre for the continentals.
    That's 560 per year for me. No brainer. For me. I'll do 35-40kms per year.

Dealer prices.
    S Pack €430 all service components + pollen + brake fluid
    M Pack €550 all service components + pollen + brake fluid + front brake pads + wipers
    L Pack €650 all service components + pollen + brake fluid + front brake pads + wipers + 1 set of tyres

Today's interesting discovery with the ID.3.

Today I was driving on the N25 between Wexford and New Ross, I'm sure many of you know the road or a national road like it: well marked, wide lanes, good hard shoulder and many good long, straight stretches.

I was happily running along at 100kmh using Travel Assist, just nudging the wheel with my knee every 20 seconds or so. I noticed two Motorbikes side by side in the hard shoulder up ahead so I took the wheel and drifted the car from the centre of the lane out to near the centre line to give the bikers a bit more room.

When I let go of the wheel I expected Travel Assist to take the car back to the centre of the lane but it stayed out near the white line. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder... So I drifted the car back in to the yellow line and let go of the wheel, it stayed there! I repeated this a couple of times (empty road) and the result was the same.

Travel assist seems to keep the car where you want it to be. After starting in the centre of the lane by default, it can be set to run near the right or left edge of the lane. I find this incredibly useful, as sometimes I just want to potter along at, say 95kph and let the people in a hurry blast on by. This was always a problem in the e-Niro as it sat in the middle of a wide lane and I ended up knocking the Lane Follow off.

Today's interesting discovery with the ID.3.

Today I was driving on the N25 between Wexford and New Ross, I'm sure many of you know the road or a national road like it: well marked, wide lanes, good hard shoulder and many good long, straight stretches.

I was happily running along at 100kmh using Travel Assist, just nudging the wheel with my knee every 20 seconds or so. I noticed two Motorbikes side by side in the hard shoulder up ahead so I took the wheel and drifted the car from the centre of the lane out to near the centre line to give the bikers a bit more room.

When I let go of the wheel I expected Travel Assist to take the car back to the centre of the lane but it stayed out near the white line. Hmmm, I thought, I wonder... So I drifted the car back in to the yellow line and let go of the wheel, it stayed there! I repeated this a couple of times (empty road) and the result was the same.

Travel assist seems to keep the car where you want it to be. After starting in the centre of the lane by default, it can be set to run near the right or left edge of the lane. I find this incredibly useful, as sometimes I just want to potter along at, say 95kph and let the people in a hurry blast on by. This was always a problem in the e-Niro as it sat in the middle of a wide lane and I ended up knocking the Lane Follow off.

Huh, that might explain a few things, there's a couple of times I thought travel assist was holding close to the line, it seemed to make its way slowly back to centre after a little while

I wonder had I set it close to the line and it was holding that line

Huh, that might explain a few things, there's a couple of times I thought travel assist was holding close to the line, it seemed to make its way slowly back to centre after a little while

I wonder had I set it close to the line and it was holding that line

Time to find out :D

Can't wait to get to try it out, seems like it's taking forever.

Should make my 140-185 Km commute a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

What's the biggest battery/range spec you can get in Ireland at the moment on the ID3? I'm looking into basically how much range can I get for my buck while still qualifying for the SEAI grant (that isn't a Tesla) and saw reports of a VW ID3 82 kWh model. Is that available here? The VW website isn't transparent with it, to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Time to find out :D

Can't wait to get to try it out, seems like it's taking forever.

Should make my 140-185 Km commute a lot easier.

How much longer? 4 weeks or so?

Noticed in the comments of Battery Life's video on the Ioniq 5 that he drove his ID.3 from/to the Ioniq test at 140km/h and got 27kWh/100. That should give you about 285km which would be impressive at that speed (If you were so inclined..:))

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

The 82 kWh is the 77 ‘usable’ that’s in the tour.

eagerv wrote: »
    How much longer? 4 weeks or so?

Noticed in the comments of Battery Life's video on the Ioniq 5 that he drove his ID.3 from/to the Ioniq test at 140km/h and got 27kWh/100. That should give you about 285km which would be impressive at that speed (If you were so inclined..:))

5-6 weeks I'd say.

Battery life tested the id.3 at 130 and got around 360 Kms, it was dry but nice to know, 400 Kms should be easily achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

5-6 weeks I'd say.

Battery life tested the id.3 at 130 and got around 360 Kms, it was dry but nice to know, 400 Kms should be easily achievable.

Yes, big difference in energy used between 120 and 140km/h. You can better those figures by not using ACC (But I know you wont do that:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Return journey completed.100% leaving (thank you hotel for free charging and not even a guest, great service a thank you email will be sent to them) arrived home with 25% 135km left.

330km completed, average 75km/h and 17.2kwh/100km. Driven in B mode with cruise control set so pretty much speed limits the whole with a few blasts for overtaking.

Issue the last two days in that it won't go online so a call to the dealer or I see pulling fuse 19 being a fix, will see tomorrow.

Interesting about the travel assist and where it sits in the lane, will try that out. Really is great setting it, cruise control and navigation to take care of speeds without hardly touching a pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Looking at the 77KW Life or Business waiting to hear back some pricing. Not sure if can justify any of the other models just hope I won't miss a feature that nots on other model all though they seem pretty well speced from what I have researched. Seeing a lot of ID4 and ID3 around this weekend mostly blue or white looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Looking at the 77KW Life or Business waiting to hear back some pricing. Not sure if can justify any of the other models just hope I won't miss a feature that nots on other model all though they seem pretty well speced from what I have researched. Seeing a lot of ID4 and ID3 around this weekend mostly blue or white looks great.

Only the tour models have the 77 kWh battery. The rest are 58kWh which still has a great range by all accounts. The only reason we are getting the tour is that I’ll be regularly doing close to 300 km return journeys with no charging at destination. Smaller battery is plenty for most.

The Tour 5 misses some kit but has 5 seats, the tour 4 has more kit, better seats but is 4 seats only.

Tour 4 seater has heads up display, electric seats with massage which the tour 5 misses out on, but I don't like reflections on the windscreen especially at night so that doesn't bother me.

Then compared to the smaller battery, this one gets Panoramic sunroof which doesn't interest me. Adaptive Chassis Control is available on the smaller battery, the "max".

Download the product guide here https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/new-cars/all-new-id3.html

The main features for me are the Apple Car Play and most of all Travel Assist for the long motorway commutes + of course the longer range the larger battery offers, to me it's much better to have the range than spend more time charging and especially if you head west or around the South and West coast the infrastructure is very poor. The larger battery also allows for faster charging.

398km done on the drive home yesterday.
    Average 81km/h
    18.6kWh/100km.
    Went to stop at spruce field as I had only 68% and wanted to get to the other side of Dublin before stopping. 2 cars waiting. Said balls to it.
    Went to stop at lusk. 3 cars waiting.
    Turvey. 2 cars waiting.
    Checked the app. Dublin airport occupied..
    Round the m50.
    New lands cross empty.
    Got up to 79% before the dreaded extra charge.
    Stopped again in knocktopher for 20 minutes after going down the m9 with it set to 125kmh on cruise.
    Got home with 20%.
    Nice and relaxed.
    If I still had my leaf is have had to sit and wait for all those cars at each station..
    My BMW I'd have thrown on the Rex and burnt Dino fuel. ðŸ˜

Forgot to add 4 passengers+ luggage. Aircon set to 18c. Was dry, windy but 19-22c.

• Advertisement

398km done on the drive home yesterday.
    Average 81km/h
    18.6kWh/100km.
    Went to stop at spruce field as I had only 68% and wanted to get to the other side of Dublin before stopping. 2 cars waiting. Said balls to it.
    Went to stop at lusk. 3 cars waiting.
    Turvey. 2 cars waiting.
    Checked the app. Dublin airport occupied..
    Round the m50.
    New lands cross empty.
    Got up to 79% before the dreaded extra charge.
    Stopped again in knocktopher for 20 minutes after going down the m9 with it set to 125kmh on cruise.
    Got home with 20%.
    Nice and relaxed.
    If I still had my leaf is have had to sit and wait for all those cars at each station..
    My BMW I'd have thrown on the Rex and burnt Dino fuel. ðŸ˜

Forgot to add 4 passengers+ luggage. Aircon set to 18c. Was dry, windy but 19-22c.

I think those charging queues are going to be bad based on the sales figures for this year. The number of EVs has increased by 30% in 5 months and it looks like this'll be the year of the staycation

But I think you nailed it, because you have extra battery capacity you aren't depending on a single charger and can afford to pick one that's free

Advertisement