Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

ewj1978 wrote: »
    398km done on the drive home yesterday.
    Average 81km/h
    18.6kWh/100km.
    Went to stop at spruce field as I had only 68% and wanted to get to the other side of Dublin before stopping. 2 cars waiting. Said balls to it.
    Went to stop at lusk. 3 cars waiting.
    Turvey. 2 cars waiting.
    Checked the app. Dublin airport occupied..
    Round the m50.
    New lands cross empty.
    Got up to 79% before the dreaded extra charge.
    Stopped again in knocktopher for 20 minutes after going down the m9 with it set to 125kmh on cruise.
    Got home with 20%.
    Nice and relaxed.
    If I still had my leaf is have had to sit and wait for all those cars at each station..
    My BMW I'd have thrown on the Rex and burnt Dino fuel. ðŸ˜

Forgot to add 4 passengers+ luggage. Aircon set to 18c. Was dry, windy but 19-22c.

Is the the 58 Kwh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Is the the 58 Kwh ?

Aye. Getting about 370km when it's full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As a geek I found this Munro teardown interesting. If you dont like mechanical stuff or low level technical detail then dont bother clicking on it! :pac:

e.g. VW have designed the gearbox with one less bearing than others have.... less bearings, better rolling resistance, less friction, better efficiency.

There were other examples pointed out too but the point is that VW are not just taking off the shelf stuff and bolting it together and calling it an EV... they are interested in efficiency which involves more than just aerodynamics... there are internal mechanical elements to it too.

To be honest I think aerodynamics plays a smaller role than these mechanical elements do for most people, because in general you are not spending the majority of your time at 120km/h.

If VW could offer a way to turn the battery heater on/off it would help winter efficiency. No point heating the battery if you are just doing a short run to the shop/school/etc. In the ID.3 first movers club they did take that feedback on board so I hope they do something about that to improve winter efficiency.

Now.... if VW could only sort out the charging timers! :pac:

KCross wrote: »

To be honest I think aerodynamics plays a smaller role than these mechanical elements do for most people, because in general you are not spending the majority of your time at 120km/h.

Ha ha, speak for yourself, I regularly drive 120+ on the motorway.

It will be interesting to see will I relax a bit more with the travel assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

What is your % at 120(+) and 100, 80 on your standard day?

• Advertisement

That was why I said "in general", "most", "majority"! ;)

In normal times I do a fair bit of motorway driving myself and even in the Leaf I always drove it at 120-125km/h(GPS speed) but the evening and weekend driving would all be at much slower speeds.

My point is that overall, aerodynamics is not the only consideration for efficiency. Its a YMMV thing.

My prediction is that you wont!
    You'll still complain about having to "watch it" from doing stupid things and having to keep it happy that you are still in control. Its not level 5 autonomy... its still just LFA.

And Mad_lad wouldnt be Mad_Lad unless he were complaining about something! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Those of you with the 77KwH battery, what’s the range like for you? I have a deposit down on an EV6 and I’m prioritising range in my next car. After seeing that the ID3 can get a better range apparently I’m struggling to justify the extra money on an EV6 instead.

eagerv wrote: »
    What is your % at 120(+) and 100, 80 on your standard day?

Depends on the day, mood, traffic.

I could drive down the N7 at 120 keeping up with traffic in the right lane and 130 then from the M7 and onto the M9 to Carlow.

It's harder now with a lot more people on the the N7 and M7 Naas bypass as People just drive in any lane at any speed they choose and couldn't care less about holding up other drivers but even the m7 Naas bypass now can be as slow as 60 Km/hr at parts and it's getting harder and harder to maintain 120 in rush hour traffic.

Sometimes I stick to 100-110 on the n7 and 120 on the motorway.

My prediction is that you wont!
    You'll still complain about having to "watch it" from doing stupid things and having to keep it happy that you are still in control. Its not level 5 autonomy... its still just LFA.

And Mad_lad wouldnt be Mad_Lad unless he were complaining about something! ;)

Haha, you should bookmark this post lol. :D

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Those of you with the 77KwH battery, what’s the range like for you? I have a deposit down on an EV6 and I’m prioritising range in my next car. After seeing that the ID3 can get a better range apparently I’m struggling to justify the extra money on an EV6 instead.

Battery Space tested the 77 Kwh id.3 at 15 deg C and dry conditions 130 Km/hr and got around 360 Kms.

• Advertisement

Depends on the day, mood, traffic.

I could drive down the N7 at 120 keeping up with traffic in the right lane and 130 then from the M7 and onto the M9 to Carlow.

It's harder now with a lot more people on the the N7 and M7 Naas bypass as People just drive in any lane at any speed they choose and couldn't care less about holding up other drivers but even the m7 Naas bypass now can be as slow as 60 Km/hr at parts and it's getting harder and harder to maintain 120 in rush hour traffic.

Sometimes I stick to 100-110 on the n7 and 120 on the motorway.

On a recent few trips on the N7, was surprised how law abiding most were. Must have been days the cameras were about:). I don't know where they normally are, so generally stick with limits.
    Slightly different in Australia in the populated areas where I have driven a good bit. Speedos have less error, usually within 1 or 2 km accuracy at all speeds. If the cameras or police don't catch you (Very little tolerance) then you will be reported by other motorists.:eek:. People don't seem to like being overtaken if they are keeping to limit. And don't ever go over 40km/h if at a school zone. Flashing speed signs will warn you during school time..

Even met a hovering helicopter one day! But was told it's only a deterrent, they don't fine.

Autobahn users would disagree with you. good aerodynamics are the difference between getting between large German cities on none, one, two or three charging stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

On a recent few trips on the N7, was surprised how law abiding most were. Must have been days the cameras were about:). I don't know where they normally are, so generally stick with limits.
    Slightly different in Australia in the populated areas where I have driven a good bit. Speedos have less error, usually within 1 or 2 km accuracy at all speeds. If the cameras or police don't catch you (Very little tolerance) then you will be reported by other motorists.:eek:. People don't seem to like being overtaken if they are keeping to limit. And don't ever go over 40km/h if at a school zone. Flashing speed signs will warn you during school time..

Even met a hovering helicopter one day! But was told it's only a deterrent, they don't fine.

They do in Spain!

There's a helicopter on the Costa del Sol that haunts certain areas. They do speed checks by time over distance and are known to hover over busy stop signs. If you don't come to a complete stop, your fine will be in the post. My son fell victim to the latter. They sent him a picture of his car crossing the line with a perfect view of his reg. They also said that video was available if he wanted to challenge the fine.... he paid up.

Isn't it great that the ID.3 is so good at keeping the speed limit for you. *desperate attempt to swing back on topic* :D

Autobahn users would disagree with you. good aerodynamics are the difference between getting between large German cities on none, one, two or three charging stops.

As I said, YMMV.... If your daily commute involves driving on the autobahn at high speed then aerodynamics is, of course, going to be critical as the faster you go the more aerodynamics plays into your range.

I get that. Not saying aerodynamics isnt important.

But hurtling up/down the autobahn isnt the majority case.... even more so here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

As I said, YMMV.... If your daily commute involves driving on the autobahn at high speed then aerodynamics is, of course, going to be critical as the faster you go the more aerodynamics plays into your range.

I get that. Not saying aerodynamics isnt important.

But hurtling up/down the autobahn isnt the majority case.... even more so here.

From what I've heard of the autobahn you'd be doing well to be going over 100, lots of trucks choking up the slow lanes and slowing traffic down

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

There is only one esb 50kwh charger in sligo town, and it was broken. The rest are all 22kwh and smaller. Not very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

From what I've heard of the autobahn you'd be doing well to be going over 100, lots of trucks choking up the slow lanes and slowing traffic down

It depends ;). I crossed country once during the night driving from Leipzig to Belgium. Hit 224 at one stage - in a vectra. Wouldn’t be doing that again.

There can be peak traffic like everywhere else but the one major difference in Deutschland is that People are thought how to drive on the Autobahn, how to merge at proper speed getting in ahead, not slowing down while merging so as to "not offend someone by getting in ahead of them" like Paddy does and they don't sit in the middle lane if they don't need to be sitting there at 60 - 80 Km/hr or they'd be blown off the road. So it takes a lot of traffic to slow down the Autobahn or accidents but in general there is some serious speed on certain sections the bikers being the worst. But they do have a lot of traffic from other countries which Ireland does not obviously because car's can't drive on the sea ( yet ) lol. Mostly those who want to sit at slower speeds sit behind the miles of trucks in the right lane.

When you come back to Ireland even on 3 lane motorways during off peak traffic, the standard of driving and the "I'll drive in any lane I want at any speed" attitude is amazing.

05:50am. Happyish with going to work.
    Out to my shiny new id3..
    "Drivetrain error"
    Rang VW breakdown number.
    "That reg isn't on our system"
    Ok. We'll? "Sorry, we can't help you. Please contact your dealer".

In the meantime Mrs has woken up. Looks on the app. Different number. Aye we'll have someone out to you by 9am..

05:50am. Happyish with going to work.
    Out to my shiny new id3..
    "Drivetrain error"
    Rang VW breakdown number.
    "That reg isn't on our system"
    Ok. We'll? "Sorry, we can't help you. Please contact your dealer".

In the meantime Mrs has woken up. Looks on the app. Different number. Aye we'll have someone out to you by 9am..

Could be software, keep us updated. Modern cars! :(

• Advertisement

Could be software, keep us updated. Modern cars! :(

I took the Kia and went to work.
    AA have been out in the meantime. Checked the 12v, getting 11.5v. tried to trickle charge it anyway.
    Can't get the car to communicate through the obd.
    Flatbed ordered to bring it to the nearest VW dealer.
    Anyone remember what timeframe ye have on walking away from a finance deal.. to say I'm annoyed is an understatement. Only had the car 10 days.

Thats absolutely rubbish for you. IT really sounds like this happens all too often. I wouldnt be happy either.

AA have been out in the meantime. Checked the 12v, getting 11.5v. tried to trickle charge it anyway.
    .... Only had the car 10 days.

The dealer might have missed checking the 12V when they handed it over to you.

When the 12V is low you will get all sorts of weird errors. A new 12V or a trickle charge for 24-48hrs and it should be fine from there. Chin up! :o

I took the Kia and went to work.
    Can't get the car to communicate through the obd.
    Flatbed ordered to bring it to the nearest VW dealer.
    Anyone remember what timeframe ye have on walking away from a finance deal.. to say I'm annoyed is an understatement. Only had the car 10 days.

Jeez that sounds horrible, hopefully it's a simple fix and they'll have it back to you

I'd definitely be hauling VW Ireland over the coals for that treatment, get onto their facebook and twitter and everything

We're supposed to be going directly to VW for issues but if they're being useless then it'll just put people off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has anyone followed the progress of their car using the order number? I see that UK buyers can do so:

555402.jpg

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Has anyone followed the progress of their car using the order number? I see that UK buyers can do so:

555402.jpg

I tried but it seems available only to UK customers. You can use the commission number to add the car to your myVolkswagen page and then when the VIN appears then the car is being built

Beyond that your only option is to hassle the dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Jeez that sounds horrible, hopefully it's a simple fix and they'll have it back to you

I'd definitely be hauling VW Ireland over the coals for that treatment, get onto their facebook and twitter and everything

We're supposed to be going directly to VW for issues but if they're being useless then it'll just put people off

VW Ireland group seems to have some horrible google reviews. :eek:
    Is their customer service really that bad? I'm quite close to ordering a VW ID.3 Life but wary about such shoddy customer service.

Is their customer service really that bad? I'm quite close to ordering a VW ID.3 Life but wary about such shoddy customer service.

You will always read of the bad reviews, in my case I am very happy with my dealer.

I wouldn’t pay too much heed to google reviews. People with hassle free experience won’t bother with leaving one.

• Advertisement

You will always read of the bad reviews, in my case I am very happy with my dealer.

+1

My dealer was informative, kept me up to date, dealt with questions/issues promptly, applied the software fixes as required so all good really.

Car has been running very smoothly apart from one major hiccup before the software fixes were added, which I willing signed up to as a "first mover" last year so no complaints about that.... they've "paid" me for that privilege with free charging and charge point.

Advertisement