Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

How do you guys find the central locking on the car? I've had a few quirks with the keyless lock and unlock, and also with the unlock on approach. Not a major deal, would be nice if it worked 100% but could live with that. But I find the lock and unlock with the key to be quite unresponsive - I often have to be within 5 feet of the car for it to work. And I'm remembering my charger flap not unlocking the first night I got it as well, until I turned the car on and off and then it worked. So just a few issues with the one being the range and response of the key lock and unlock, so am wondering if it's just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

VW Ireland group seems to have some horrible google reviews. :eek:
    Is their customer service really that bad? I'm quite close to ordering a VW ID.3 Life but wary about such shoddy customer service.

There's two entities here, VW Ireland and your dealership. Mechanical/servicing issues seem to go through the dealership and online issues go to VW

So far I've found the dealership to be very helpful, although I've had no issues with the car yet that required their help

VW Ireland however could be doing a bit better. I've been trying to activate my We Charge card for several weeks now and no success, all their resolution steps haven't worked

That's not entirely down to VW Ireland, I suspect they're new to this and are possibly not getting the help they need from VW headquarters

In general I think their customer service is good, but the online side seems a work in progress

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

nkay1985 wrote: »
    How do you guys find the central locking on the car? I've had a few quirks with the keyless lock and unlock, and also with the unlock on approach. Not a major deal, would be nice if it worked 100% but could live with that. But I find the lock and unlock with the key to be quite unresponsive - I often have to be within 5 feet of the car for it to work. And I'm remembering my charger flap not unlocking the first night I got it as well, until I turned the car on and off and then it worked. So just a few issues with the one being the range and response of the key lock and unlock, so am wondering if it's just me?

It’s a bit flaky alright. The range is very short and I need to see the car flash the haz lights to be sure that it’s locked. My golf can be reliable locked from more than 10m away.

nkay1985 wrote: »

So I turned off the selective unlock where it would unlock the driver's door and then the other doors or something. Now it just unlocks everything

I also turned off approach unlocking as the car was constantly locking and unlocking itself

I've noticed the key fob needs a very definite press to work, doesn't seem very sensitive. I assume it's to lower the risk of accidentally unlocking the car while the key is in your pocket

One other things that it slightly annoying is the way the approach lights will keep turning on every few mins when it's dark and the key is near.

It's a bit strange when the car is constantly flashing lights at you but on the other hand it reminds me to put the key back in the RFID blocking box I got

Does anyone know a way to pause travel assist and resume it at the previous set point, and not the current speed?

Often on a merge I'll end up braking to let cars in which turns off the travel assist

When I switch it back on, it sets to the current speed, not the target one and I have to reset it to the higher speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's a bit strange when the car is constantly flashing lights at you but on the other hand it reminds me to put the key back in the RFID blocking box I got

Isnt the fob supposed to go to sleep when not moving.

Are you saying if the fob is left idle on a table within "distance" of the car it keeps locking/unlocking it? Thats a problem if it is.... 12V battery drain comes to mind there!

Does anyone know a way to pause travel assist and resume it at the previous set point, and not the current speed?

Often on a merge I'll end up braking to let cars in which turns off the travel assist

When I switch it back on, it sets to the current speed, not the target one and I have to reset it to the higher speed

Press resume, not set.... right hand button ("res") of that cluster of buttons.

KCross wrote: »
    Press resume, not set.... right hand button ("res") of that cluster of buttons.

I think I tried that and it only activated ACC, not travel assist

I'll give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

I shouldn't have as many of these issues is I just bought a Life,mind you I did go big and spend on the metallic.......

I think I tried that and it only activated ACC, not travel assist

I'll give it another go

I dont have travel assist so I dont know whats required to re-engage that but hitting "res" will definitely take you back to the speed you had previously set..... thats how cruise control has always worked even in ICE cars.

Cant see why travel assist would require some extra button pressing to re-engage that.

• Advertisement

I don't brake for anyone merging, I either change lanes if I can as you're supposed to or if I can't I force them to use their brain and figure out they should get in ahead of me but most of the time they end up going in behind me thinking they shouldn't offend me by "getting ahead of me", or they have to drive in the shoulder, I refuse to slow down, unless traffic is at crawl I won't let them dictate my driving. I got the right of way, I'm on the motorway and it's bad driving when someone forces you to slow down to let them in on a motorway, they should speed up and go in ahead of you, that's what the slip road is for but too many People here just don't get this.

This is extremely irritating.

little rant but this standard of driving on the motorways really is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anyone find they need to turn off the lane assist in narrow country roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Bif wrote: »
    Hi Dublinscot. What mileage per kw are you getting on motorway driving? Thanks

Hmm, not sure. I never really look at my kw/h efficiency.

Does this help?

By the way my little Mad_Lad rant ( episode ) lol wasn't directed at you but the way people merge on motorways in Ireland is really frustrating.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Anyone find they need to turn off the lane assist in narrow country roads?

Haven't felt the need yet, it seems that when it doesn't have road markings to get a fix in then it either switches off or is a lot more forgiving

Generally when it's kicked in for me I was getting a bit too close to the line anyway, so it seems to be helping more than annoying me

Actually one thing I've been wondering recently is whether the lane assist is better on cars with travel assist, do the extra sensors and computers make it more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Does the heads up display directions if you’re using CarPlay /AA or does that only work with the in built navigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Does the heads up display directions if you’re using CarPlay /AA or does that only work with the in built navigation?

Aye, works with AA for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I took the Kia and went to work.
    AA have been out in the meantime. Checked the 12v, getting 11.5v. tried to trickle charge it anyway.
    Can't get the car to communicate through the obd.
    Flatbed ordered to bring it to the nearest VW dealer.
    Anyone remember what timeframe ye have on walking away from a finance deal.. to say I'm annoyed is an understatement. Only had the car 10 days.

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Picking up my ID3 Style tomorrow in Blackwater motors Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Are the issues that people have had mostly to do with software?

Picking up our ID3 tomorrow, and it will have the latest software, so should we be okay as far as glitches go?

• Advertisement

Are the issues that people have had mostly to do with software?

Picking up our ID3 tomorrow, and it will have the latest software, so should we be okay as far as glitches go?

I'm on latest software, had one issue so far where the instrument cluster crapped out. Fixed itself after restarting the car

A lot of the major issues seem to have been solved, most of the issues at the moment seem to be around the UI being a bit clunky or unintuitive

I'm on latest software, had one issue so far where the instrument cluster crapped out. Fixed itself after restarting the car

A lot of the major issues seem to have been solved, most of the issues at the moment seem to be around the UI being a bit clunky or unintuitive

Thanks for the info. What kinda real world range are you getting (assuming you have the 204bhp 58kWh version)? I have a LEAF so I know all about the variables. I'm hoping the WLTP 420km will translate into 350-360 in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No issues for me on the newest software so far.

I do have an awful rattle from the rear of the car though (I think it's the charge port flap moving over a bumpy road). The dealer had a look the last time it was in getting 2.1 but he got stones out of the bumper and they thought that's what caused it.

I'll be getting them to have a look again.

Thanks for the info. What kinda real world range are you getting (assuming you have the 204bhp 58kWh version)? I have a LEAF so I know all about the variables. I'm hoping the WLTP 420km will translate into 350-360 in real life.

Well I'm in an ID.4 with 77kWh battery so bit of a different kettle of fish

I just hang out here for the software questions and banter :)

FWIW, I'm getting around 16kWh/100km doing mostly urban driving. Recently I did a 180km round trip on motorways and got 16.7kWh/100km, that was with some traffic and I wasn't going over 110km/h

An ID.3 should do the same or better so you should get to 350km in summer. Winter will obviosuly take a bite out of that

I came from a Leaf too, and I can tell you it's a totally different experience with the bigger battery. I'm only charging once or twice a week and I no longer suffer any worry about whether the car has enough charge. I just plug it in when it gets to around 40% or when I know I'll be doing a long drive the next day

After reading about 50 pages of this thread and watching about the same number of videos on YouTube, I'm genuinely tempted to cancel the EV6 GT-line spec pre-order and go for a top-spec ID3 Tour. Test driving tomorrow. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've put the back seats of my e-Niro down or had people in the back of it and for driving around the city - smaller cars are so much better.

Less money, easier to drive, more range - I've myself nearly convinced.

Looking at the configurator, is the 'Top Sports Interior 'Plus' option worth it for € 1,355.09?
    • Lumbar support, pneumatically adjustable
    • Power seat adjustment for both front seats
    • Seat heater for front seats separately controlled
    • N3R (whatever that is?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

After reading about 50 pages of this thread and watching about the same number of videos on YouTube, I'm genuinely tempted to cancel the EV6 GT-line spec pre-order and go for a top-spec ID3 Tour. Test driving tomorrow. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've put the back seats of my e-Niro down or had people in the back of it and for driving around the city - smaller cars are so much better.

Looking at the configurator, is the 'Top Sports Interior 'Plus' option worth it for € 1,355.09?

I just don’t like the look of the sports interior. It’s very boy racer. The seats in the tour are very good by all accounts.

Was playing around with configuration recently and wondered what the copper alloys and styling with the orange interior would look like. Wish I was brave enough to go for it!

That said, Im sure the EV6 will be a smashing car. they have done a great job on their EVs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I've gone through two cycles of full charge to need to charge and it looks like I'm getting 350-370. Fully charged right now sitting outside work it's showing range of 367km.

This is mostly town driving but mostly on ring roads. Also a few trips where I'd be constant at 100 km/h for 10 minutes or so. I also drive in a style that I would describe as moderately aggressive - nothing too hectic but I like to get up to speed quickly etc.

I came from a Leaf too, and I can tell you it's a totally different experience with the bigger battery. I'm only charging once or twice a week and I no longer suffer any worry about whether the car has enough charge. I just plug it in when it gets to around 40% or when I know I'll be doing a long drive the next day

Unfortunately, I won't be coming from the LEAF, I'll be keeping it and the ID3 will be the wife's car :(

fits wrote: »

That said, Im sure the EV6 will be a smashing car. they have done a great job on their EVs so far.

Oh absolutely! The car is mostly for driving around Dublin and then up and down to Donegal a lot so a small car with a big range is why the ID3 tour is standing out to me. I have an e-Niro and love it but it's tough enough to drive around some multi-story carparks in Dublin (especially Q-Park Christchurch) so the fact the EV6 is even bigger again is a little offputting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The Tour (4) has ergo-active seats as standard, with the lumbar support and adjustable thigh support, power seat adjustment and they are heated ... they also have massage function. They are a huge step up from the standard seats.

The top sport seats look a lot more chunky, with fixed head restraints. They probably offer more lateral support.

Top sport versus the standard seats in this thread.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/leather-seat-covers.155423/post-2934104

Advertisement