Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Unfortunately, I won't be coming from the LEAF, I'll be keeping it and the ID3 will be the wife's car :(

Well I'm sure she won't mind sharing, as my wife is often quick to point out to me: "What's yours is mine" :)

Luckily in my case, she's got the Leaf now and I get to enjoy the ID.4 :cool:

In general, the ID.3 and the Leaf seem to get roughly the same consumption. So apply the Leaf consumption to ID.3 battery and that's your range

The ID cars are an absolute dream to drive, even better than the Leaf, so I've no doubt you'll both be happy with it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Oh absolutely! The car is mostly for driving around Dublin and then up and down to Donegal a lot so a small car with a big range is why the ID3 tour is standing out to me. I have an e-Niro and love it but it's tough enough to drive around some multi-story carparks in Dublin (especially Q-Park Christchurch) so the fact the EV6 is even bigger again is a little offputting.

That's one place where the ID.3 and 4 both shine, they have amazing turning circles, same as the Up or Polo

I recently had to squeeze out of a space in Brittas bay car park and do a U turn between the sand bank with parked cars beside it and the bay parking spaces on the other side

Even a big unit like the ID.4 handled it without any issues, managed it in a 3 point turn, I'd say most cars would have been a 5 point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

In general, the ID.3 and the Leaf seem to get roughly the same consumption. So apply the Leaf consumption to ID.3 battery and that's your range

I'm getting about 100-120km from full on the LEAF, which has about 18.5kWh useable capacity at this stage. Given the ID3 has about 3 times as much capacity, I'd be looking at something like 300-360km. I'd be happy to get the upper end of that range. Longest trip we do in the year is about 270km each way, usually with an overnight before the return. So, should be grand. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Looking at the configurator, is the 'Top Sports Interior 'Plus' option worth it for € 1,355.09?
    • Lumbar support, pneumatically adjustable
    • Power seat adjustment for both front seats
    • Seat heater for front seats separately controlled
    • N3R (whatever that is?)

First 3 of those are standard in the Tour I think? Also not sure what N3R is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

DrPhilG wrote: »
    First 3 of those are standard in the Tour I think? Also not sure what N3R is.

In the configurator online it's coming up as an option for me

dCchWNK.png
    cBdUyh8.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm getting about 100-120km from full on the LEAF, which has about 18.5kWh useable capacity at this stage. Given the ID3 has about 3 times as much capacity, I'd be looking at something like 300-360km. I'd be happy to get the upper end of that range. Longest trip we do in the year is about 270km each way, usually with an overnight before the return. So, should be grand. Thanks.

Summer, tootling around, will get you those figures.

At motorway speed in winter you'll get about 260km so you'll need a very short (5-10min) stop on that 270km run or slow down.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115678933&postcount=6335

KCross wrote: »
    Summer, tootling around, will get you those figures.

At motorway speed in winter you'll get about 260km so you'll need a very short (5-10min) stop on that 270km run or slow down.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115678933&postcount=6335

Great link, thanks.

We're based near Claregalway, and our longest trip is to family in Clonakilty. It's 265km each way, but only 110km of that journey is on motorway (Oranmore to Patrickswell, give or take). Looks like you did close to 120kph for nearly all of the distance on your trip. If you were calculating 260km range on that basis, surely I'd get more than that considering I'll have to drive considerably slower for over half the distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Great link, thanks.

We're based near Claregalway, and our longest trip is to family in Clonakilty. It's 265km each way, but only 110km of that journey is on motorway (Oranmore to Patrickswell, give or take). Looks like you did close to 120kph for nearly all of the distance on your trip. If you were calculating 260km range on that basis, surely I'd get more than that considering I'll have to drive considerably slower for over half the distance?

Yea, you'll be grand then. My trip wasnt quite worst case scenario but it was cold, relatively poor weather and I was doing full motorway speed ALL the way.

Tip... just make sure you pre-heat the cabin before you leave, if its winter. That will make a big difference to your consumption but I think you'll be fine on that route anyway... west Cork roads are not exactly autobahn! :)

KCross wrote: »
    west Cork roads are not exactly autobahn! :)

That's for sure!

Good to see there's a DC charger in Clon now. I never risked bringing my LEAF24 that far, but should be fine in the ID3. I'll bring the granny cable too, so should be well covered for charging to full down there and making it back without a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What the Doc means is that the first three, along with massage, are on the Ergo Active seats, which are standard on the Tour (4)... well, they were on mine. They're not standard on the Tour 5 though.

The top sport seats are €1355 extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

What the Doc means is that the first three, along with massage, are on the Ergo Active seats, which are standard on the Tour (4)... well, they were on mine. They're not standard on the Tour 5 though.

The top sport seats are €1355 extra.

Ahh gotcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

fits wrote: »
    Any update on this?

nope. They rang my wife with vague answer of " there's something wrong with the HV battery" and parts were ordered.
    Been trying all afternoon to get a hold of them to find out timeframe.
    Not best pleased tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

That's for sure!

Good to see there's a DC charger in Clon now. I never risked bringing my LEAF24 that far, but should be fine in the ID3. I'll bring the granny cable too, so should be well covered for charging to full down there and making it back without a stop.

How long would it take for a granny full charge?

How long would it take for a granny full charge?

Granny cable will provide about 2kW, so to charge the 58kWh battery

58/2=29 hours

Granny cable will provide about 2kW, so to charge the 58kWh battery

58/2=29 hours

Yeah, that looks about right. I’d imagine I’ll get 8-10 hours on granny cable and then a quick boost on the DC before the trip back. Looks like 80% fill might just be enough for the trip in good conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No issues for me on the newest software so far.

I do have an awful rattle from the rear of the car though (I think it's the charge port flap moving over a bumpy road). The dealer had a look the last time it was in getting 2.1 but he got stones out of the bumper and they thought that's what caused it.

I'll be getting them to have a look again.

I have the same rattle drivers side in the back. Cannot figure out where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Looking into an ID.3 base model (i think thats life?) Is the base model a poor value ? given the price of the extras.
    Always wanted a rear view camera, and I hear the heat pump is better for winter battery drain.

Any ID.3 base model owners ? opinions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

jogdish wrote: »
    Looking into an ID.3 base model (i think thats life?) Is the base model a poor value ? given the price of the extras.
    Always wanted a rear view camera, and I hear the heat pump is better for winter battery drain.

Any ID.3 base model owners ? opinions ?

IMO the base model of any car will always be the best value. The base ID.3 is missing a few extras but most important items such as ACC, LED lights, safety pack etc are included. Otherwise the car will feel exactly the same as the more expensive models. Depends really if you can live with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

eagerv wrote: »
    IMO the base model of any car will always be the best value. The base ID.3 is missing a few extras but most important items such as ACC, LED lights, safety pack etc are included. Otherwise the car will feel exactly the same as the more expensive models. Depends really if you can live with that..

Am I right in thinking the interior is the same also?

Sister in Law has an ID3 1st and the Interior looks identical to the standard models out now

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the interior is the same also?

Sister in Law has an ID3 1st and the Interior looks identical to the standard models out now

Haven't really looked at the latest models much, but my base 1st has the patterned cloth seats which I quite like. They are I think a little firmer than the alcantara type material of the higher models, but look to be perhaps a bit more hard wearing. I find them comfortable and supportive and I don't have the best back..:(. The dash is also a little darker, again a matter of personal preference. For a base car, I don't think it looks cheap. A few passengers have actually said the opposite..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I have the same rattle drivers side in the back. Cannot figure out where it is.

If you close your port cover and press it behind the hinge is there much movement in it? I'll try get a video of mine later.

It's either that or a piece of the boot trim hitting off the top of the rear window.

Thanks for the info. What kinda real world range are you getting (assuming you have the 204bhp 58kWh version)? I have a LEAF so I know all about the variables. I'm hoping the WLTP 420km will translate into 350-360 in real life.

Should be no trouble getting that in the warmer months. Actually I am surprised that it seems relatively easy to achieve WLTP with a bit of care and the right conditions. Today I went to Dublin Airport area from west Co Wexford. About 330 km total. Half motorway at 120 + or - and remainder 100 or slower. Had wet roads for half trip up and light tailwind. Strong headwind but dry and warm returning. (Yes it was a very different day in the south- beautiful in Dub) Could have done trip without charging but left with about 70% to avail of Ionity on way home.
    Driven sensibly with no motorways great range is possible even with the 58kWh. Even in the coldest months I saw good range providing you don't keep the car too hot and pre-heat before leaving.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If you close your port cover and press it behind the hinge is there much movement in it? I'll try get a video of mine later.

It's either that or a piece of the boot trim hitting off the top of the rear window.

I tried the flap and there is a rattling sound of it alright, not on the hinge side but the locking mechanism. I will try a bit of foam on it tomorrow and let you know if that cures it.

I tried the flap and there is a rattling sound of it alright, not on the hinge side but the locking mechanism. I will try a bit of foam on it tomorrow and let you know if that cures it.

Haven't noticed mine rattling while driving, but it seems quite a loose fitting flap with a bit of play in it. Hopefully a bit of foam will solve it..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Is it advisable to get the VW home charger?
    The basic one is 480 and installation charges are around 850. There's an SEAI grant of 600 so it's finally coming out to 730e.
    Has anybody tried a different charger or is this the recommended one?

The basic one is 480 and installation charges are around 850. There's an SEAI grant of 600 so it's finally coming out to 730e.

Can you set timers on the cheaper VW one ? if not and you have night rate electricity then it would be wise to purchase one you can set charge timers because the id range of cars built in timers is all over the place at this time with no fix in sight but if you have a home charger that you have control over then it's not much of an issue.

You dont have to get the vw one, almost any type 2 32amp charger will work and qualify for the grant.
    Electric irelands deal on the eo mini charger is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

You dont have to get the vw one, almost any type 2 32amp charger will work and qualify for the grant.
    Electric irelands deal on the eo mini charger is not bad.

I’m new to all this also so looking for advice...I was hoping to get a charger that can take a PV feed as well as the normal mains feed. Do any of the VW chargers allow this or are there better alternatives? Thanks.

Bif wrote: »
    I’m new to all this also so looking for advice...I was hoping to get a charger that can take a PV feed as well as the normal mains feed. Do any of the VW chargers allow this or are there better alternatives? Thanks.

The Zappy chargers can work with Solar PV.

• Advertisement

Bif wrote: »
    I’m new to all this also so looking for advice...I was hoping to get a charger that can take a PV feed as well as the normal mains feed. Do any of the VW chargers allow this or are there better alternatives? Thanks.[/QUOTE

The eo mini pro that electric ireland are offering can work with solar.

Advertisement