Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How are you all doing on tyres?

I've over 10k km done but the rears are at 2mm already! :eek:

Fronts are just shy of 4mm.

I've the Bridgestone Turanza ECO 18". These ones
    They are well rated (A fuel and B grip) but obviously soft.

How are the rest of you doing? Not sure I'll get the same tyres if they disappear after 10k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Everyone here seems to be very happy with their cars. Would it be stupid to buy one and use a local 50kw charger and not get a home charger at all? The missus is grumbling about having a charger at the front of the house...

I would not rely on public chargers alone, i was in enniskillen today and only one charger out of four worked and one half of that one was broken . A guy pulled up in a hybrid and said thats the very reason he would not go fully electric yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Everyone here seems to be very happy with their cars. Would it be stupid to buy one and use a local 50kw charger and not get a home charger at all? The missus is grumbling about having a charger at the front of the house...

She won't even see it, plenty of ways they can be hidden from view, hedging, timber etc etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I would not rely on public chargers alone, i was in enniskillen today and only one charger out of four worked and one half of that one was broken . A guy pulled up in a hybrid and said thats the very reason he would not go fully electric yet.

What colour is your house? You could get an EO mini without the attached cable and it'd be very discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What colour is your house? You could get an EO mini without the attached cable and it'd be very discreet.

Edit: that was meant for CoBo.

• Advertisement

This is my sync ev its very small, the eo mini is about the same size

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There's evidently a lot of folks around Dublin do it, lots of traffic on the 50kW units in some areas

That's tailed off a bit since they introduced charges, but some folks rely on it

I was reliant on public charging when I first got the Leaf, it wasn't great. It would be easier now in the ID.4 since I'd only charge once or twice a week, but still hard to beat the convenience of home charging

Hard to beat the cost too, 50kW rate is 6 times the cheapest night rate of 5c/kWh

I got an EO Mini, very discreet, about the size of small shoe box. If you want as compact as possible go for untethered, this means the charger has a socket and you'll need to plug the charging cable into both the charger and car.

If you have a side passage you can also tuck the charger around there to keep it out of sight

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

KCross wrote: »

How are the rest of you doing? Not sure I'll get the same tyres if they disappear after 10k km.

Haven't looked recently, but hope not that low on thread.. Will check and report back tomorrow. Any previous complaint I have heard re Bridgestone is that they are a hard tyre but last well.
    My own are GoodYear and almost 12k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

So left Waterford at 4:30 this morning, headed to Dublin Airport, approx 155km. Had 100% Battery showing 420km range. Arrived at Dublin Airport with 130km range and approx 20% battery, had the acc set for 120, 3 people in car with luggage for 1, air temp 8c. And occasional air con. That was my first long spin. Thought it was a bit energy hungry. Driving a 211 Family spec. Charged up in Dublin had 350km range, got home with range of 114 left. 120kmph all way home.. a bit disappointed with the range on a long spin. Have 4000km on the clock

cold, yep
    motorway speeds, yep
    full car, yep
    I'd be expecting 330-350km max at those speeds and temp.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    cold, yep
    motorway speeds, yep
    full car, yep
    I'd be expecting 330-350km max at those speeds and temp.
    I wouldn't. I'd be expecting what he saw which is 155 travelled + about 114 remaining which is 270km.

You are expecting 16.5kWh consumption at 120kmph. I'd expect 21.5kWh.

It hasn't got a good enough drag coefficient to do what you expect. It'd get closer to your expectation if driven very, very smoothly. The return trip should have been more efficient with a warm battery, drivetrain and slightly lighter car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Can someone please clarify what is the cheapest ID3 to buy if I have a 17yr old Petrol BMW for scrappage?

On donedeal I see some garages advertising €29k but seems to be too good to be true? :)

There will be a 93kW (motor power) ID3 coming in the near future. I don't know if it will reach Ireland but it is the one that VW promised would come in under €30k before incentives in Germany.
    That with a 45kWh(55kwh gross) battery and 7kw AC charging/50kW DC charging will be the cheapest. If they can figure out how to remove the Sat Nav they will but android auto/apple carplay will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Can someone please clarify what is the cheapest ID3 to buy if I have a 17yr old Petrol BMW for scrappage?

On donedeal I see some garages advertising €29k but seems to be too good to be true? :)

certain Kerry garage? I say you'd have to ring them and see what they deem as a qualifying scrappage. AFAIK It isn't an Ireland wide scheme.

Cheapest Life edition with haggling would be ~32k. You'd be as well off selling the BMW privately.

Anyone know why acc will almost steer itself around some bends and no assistance on others? And on some bends it says slow to maybe 60kph but the car does not slow on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

I a word .......Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

ewj1978 wrote: »
    certain Kerry garage? I say you'd have to ring them and see what they deem as a qualifying scrappage. AFAIK It isn't an Ireland wide scheme.

Cheapest Life edition with haggling would be ~32k. You'd be as well off selling the BMW privately.

Very hard to sell a 17 year old car. Get all sorts phoning up and goodness knows what it would be used for. I sold an old car like this a few years ago and regretted not just scrapping it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There's evidently a lot of folks around Dublin do it, lots of traffic on the 50kW units in some areas

That's tailed off a bit since they introduced charges, but some folks rely on it

I was reliant on public charging when I first got the Leaf, it wasn't great. It would be easier now in the ID.4 since I'd only charge once or twice a week, but still hard to beat the convenience of home charging

Hard to beat the cost too, 50kW rate is 6 times the cheapest night rate of 5c/kWh

I got an EO Mini, very discreet, about the size of small shoe box. If you want as compact as possible go for untethered, this means the charger has a socket and you'll need to plug the charging cable into both the charger and car.

If you have a side passage you can also tuck the charger around there to keep it out of sight

Many thanks for the replies lads. You answered my next question, tethered v untethered I didn't know what it meant. I don't have a side entrance but I could put an untethered EO mini in the porch or even on the black raised border between myself and the next door neighbour. The meter is in the porch could the electrician access power from there putting in a separate isolator or does he need to go back to the consumer unit? Oh, I have an electric shower too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Many thanks for the replies lads. You answered my next question, tethered v untethered I didn't know what it meant. I don't have a side entrance but I could put an untethered EO mini in the porch or even on the black raised border between myself and the next door neighbour. The meter is in the porch could the electrician access power from there putting in a separate isolator or does he need to go back to the consumer unit? Oh, I have an electric shower too:D

Mine was installed three weeks ago and the technician said that they're now allowed to go through the meter box so that would be fine. I also have an electric shower.

A 230V/16Amp charger cable will get the ID3 from 10 to over 80 percent a few nights a week if you must avoid the unsightly charger but a dumb 7kw charger with SEAI grant is better if you can make it work for you.

A 230V/16Amp charger cable will get the ID3 from 10 to over 80 percent a few nights a week if you must avoid the unsightly charger but a dumb 7kw charger with SEAI grant is better if you can make it work for you.

Oh, I thought all the chargers mentioned were covered by the grant or did you mean the granny cable for 230v/16A?

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Mine was installed three weeks ago and the technician said that they're now allowed to go through the meter box so that would be fine. I also have an electric shower.

Do you need an extra unit to prevent both running together? Shower/EV.

Oh, I thought all the chargers mentioned were covered by the grant or did you mean the granny cable for 230v/16A?
    granny cable.

granny cable.

Cheers.

This might be a better conversation in the charge point thread but is your house wiring quite old... meter inside the house sounds like it might be?

You might need a survey/check from electrician first to decide what’s possible. You might have to do remedial work first.

Regardless, since you have an electric shower you definitely should get a load sensing charge point. It will negate the need for a priority switch and is a much better long term solution.

This might be a better conversation in the charge point thread but is your house wiring quite old... meter inside the house sounds like it might be?

You might need a survey/check from electrician first to decide what’s possible. You might have to do remedial work first.

Regardless, since you have an electric shower you definitely should get a load sensing charge point. It will negate the need for a priority switch and is a much better long term solution.

The house was built in 1994 so should be ok that way, the meter is in the porch not in the house itself. I had read about needing something extra if you had an electric shower. The load sensing charge point would ideal as they would rarely clash but you know yourself Murphy’s law etc:pac: I won’t derail the thread any further. Thanks to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Finding hard to get information on the ID charger. Does anyone have this charger at their home, picture/video how big is it ? Would need to be on a front facing wall of the driveway here, kinda worried how much of an eyesore it would be. Are there clever ways to hide it ? Also is it a cable from the ESB before it enters the house or from after the metre (on the inside for me) and back out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just checked mine this morning. Almost 12k km.

Front 8mm. Rear 7mm. Goodyear 18" Efficient grip Performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

granny cable.

I thought granny cables came in 32A as well. No?

eagerv wrote: »
    Just checked mine this morning. Almost 12k km.

Front 8mm. Rear 7mm. Goodyear 18" Efficient grip Performance.

Wow! I know you drive easy and I'm not light on the throttle but the differences are stark there.

The Bridgestones have melted off mine! I do hit alot of roundabouts which doesnt help, but still!

I had the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on the Leaf and got reasonable mileage from those so might go look at them then.

thanks for replying.

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote: »
    Finding hard to get information on the ID charger. ... Also is it a cable from the ESB before it enters the house or from after the metre (on the inside for me) and back out again?

Its after the meter. If you put it before the meter the ESB will be having a quiet word with the cops!

You can now "tap off" a cable from the meter box if that is easier but the default should be to wire it back to your consumer unit if you can.
    I thought granny cables came in 32A as well. No?

The generally accepted idea of a granny cable is something you can plug into any standard house socket.... that would put it at a max of 13A and they are generally limited to 10A so as not to overheat/overload the wiring.

Advertisement