Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

KCross wrote: »
    Its after the meter. If you put it before the meter the ESB will be having a quiet word with the cops!

You can now "tap off" a cable from the meter box if that is easier but the default should be to wire it back to your consumer unit if you can.

The generally accepted idea of a granny cable is something you can plug into any standard house socket.... that would put it at a max of 13A and they are generally limited to 10A so as not to overheat/overload the wiring.

16A cables are there but you or preferably your Electrician need to be checking your household wiring to get that 16A without doing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Wow! I know you drive easy and I'm not light on the throttle but the differences are stark there.

The Bridgestones have melted off mine! I do hit alot of roundabouts which doesnt help, but still!

I had the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on the Leaf and got reasonable mileage from those so might go look at them then.

thanks for replying.

At times I am not light on the throttle, but generally my driving would be fairly economical. Also mainly longer rural driving with little start/stop, roundabouts etc.
    Your wear seems excessive, are you measuring actual thread depth or legal depth remaining above the wear indicators?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

16A cables are there but you or preferably your Electrician need to be checking your household wiring to get that 16A without doing damage.

I don’t get your point. I’m just saying anything above 13A isn’t really a granny cable as you can’t use it “everywhere”, which is what a granny cable is.

Why would you get a 16A cable instead of a normal 16A charge point when you are going to the hassle of getting an electrician in to wire up a 16A setup? I don’t understand what you are suggesting/recommending or how it’s better/easier than a 16A charge point.

I don’t get your point. I’m just saying anything above 13A isn’t really a granny cable as you can’t use it “everywhere”, which is what a granny cable is.

Why would you get a 16A cable instead of a normal 16A charge point when you are going to the hassle of getting an electrician in to wire up a 16A setup? I don’t understand what you are suggesting/recommending or how it’s better/easier than a 16A charge point.
    some manufacturers upgrade the 10A to 16A for 100 euro and the cable is clever enough to step down to match the supply.

some manufacturers upgrade the 10A to 16A for 100 euro and the cable is clever enough to step down to match the supply.

And what’s the point of that if it has a 13A plug on it?

Is what you are suggesting more relevant to the continent where 3 phase is common. I don’t see the point of it in CoBo’s scenario.

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    At times I am not light on the throttle, but generally my driving would be fairly economical. Also mainly longer rural driving with little start/stop, roundabouts etc.
    Your wear seems excessive, are you measuring actual thread depth or legal depth remaining above the wear indicators?

Actual. My rear tyres are only 0.5mm above legal! :(

And what’s the point of that if it has a 13A plug on it?

Is what you are suggesting more relevant to the continent where 3 phase is common. I don’t see the point of it in CoBo’s scenario.

Single phase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How are you all doing on tyres?

I've over 10k km done but the rears are at 2mm already! :eek:

Fronts are just shy of 4mm.

I've the Bridgestone Turanza ECO 18". These ones
    They are well rated (A fuel and B grip) but obviously soft.

How are the rest of you doing? Not sure I'll get the same tyres if they disappear after 10k km.

Wow, something off kilter there, I know these smaller EV's suffer with spin but gone after 10k kms is unreal, even the fronts are bad.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Actual. My rear tyres are only 0.5mm above legal! :(

Wow, never seen tyre ware like that after only just over 10k km. Even on more sporty cars/tyres I would expect 20k km at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

You guys are enjoying the 204bhp and instant torque!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Everyone here seems to be very happy with their cars. Would it be stupid to buy one and use a local 50kw charger and not get a home charger at all? The missus is grumbling about having a charger at the front of the house...

I agree with your missus, a lot of them look awful, allthough, having it down the side certainly helps. I ordered this one, getting it installed in 2 weeks, its quite expensive, at €1,950 less the grant of €600, but there is no way i am looking at a messy hose reel type setup for years to come, i wanted something tethered, and also, very discreet that you would not even know, it was a charger. Choice of colours to blend in with your home as well.

https://andersen-ev.com/products/andersen-a2/

Bif wrote: »
    You guys are enjoying the 204bhp and instant torque!!!
    They've all got instant torque.
    sustained acceleration above 60kmph is the reason for the big motor. They've got 310Nm of torque. I don't see how they'll be able to reduce that in the 93kW version when it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anybody else looking at wrapping the silly black plastic console?

Fella in England is doing them in alcantara fabric. £200 though, the console needs to come out, be separated, wrapped and re-glued.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Fella in England is doing them in alcantara fabric. £200 though, the console needs to come out, be separated, wrapped and re-glued.

The Piano black doesn't annoy me now as much as I thought it would. Before getting car I had plans to wrap.
    The only bits I find look a bit messy are on the drivers door and the main screen. You cannot see the finger prints on the main screen when is in use.
    I keep a pack of antibacterial wipes in car to give a quick clean now and again, probably good practice atm..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mine is holding up better than I expected, other than the odd wipe with a cloth it hasn't needed much cleaning

I'd probably wrap it with something matte black, those areas get a lot of greasy fingers poking them so probably best to get something hard wearing and easy to clean

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah the alcantara looks nice but no more practical than the gloss black.

I've just seen too many online that have scratches, not just dust/dirt.

I'll price around the local places here for a matt wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Apparently the centre console, the cup holder area, comes out and goes back really easily. So it should be handy to do a DIY vinyl or cloth cover. The material used on the seats can be got fairly easily, but it's expensive. It's microfleece, Dinamica from https://vyvafabrics.com/fabrics/dinamica/#dinamica-environment

The door handles are another story and there are tales of little plastic locators breaking off. The thinking is that the door handles are best done in place.

Great info in this thread. https://www.meinid.com/thread/223-folierung-klavierlack-elemente/

jogdish wrote: »
    Finding hard to get information on the ID charger. Does anyone have this charger at their home, picture/video how big is it ? Would need to be on a front facing wall of the driveway here, kinda worried how much of an eyesore it would be. Are there clever ways to hide it ? Also is it a cable from the ESB before it enters the house or from after the metre (on the inside for me) and back out again?

It's big enough, if you've seen the Zappi then it's similar size.

If you're looking for discreet then it's probably not the best option unless you have a side passage or hedges you can hide it in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

It's big enough, if you've seen the Zappi then it's similar size.

If you're looking for discreet then it's probably not the best option unless you have a side passage or hedges you can hide it in

Can anyone recommend a drive way charger set up on a front facing way, cause it's basically pointless unless I can charge at home.

Apparently the centre console, the cup holder area, comes out and goes back really easily.

What I've read on the UK Facebook group is that although it comes out easily, it's hot welded together and to get a wrap done properly so it won't peel, you need to take that apart and glue it again after.

The door handles are another story and there are tales of little plastic locators breaking off. The thinking is that the door handles are best done in place
    The fella that has quoted £200 for alcantara centre is apparently doing a video showing the process which should be helpful. He's also currently sourcing part numbers for the door panels. You can buy the centre console part for about €60 apparently just in case it does horribly wrong.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a drive way charger set up on a front facing way, cause it's basically pointless unless I can charge at home.

You'll probably want an untethered charger then. I've an EO Mini which is small and looks well

Or at least it did unti the missus caught the charging cable under her car and pulled it off the wall :(

What I've read on the UK Facebook group is that although it comes out easily, it's hot welded together and to get a wrap done properly so it won't peel, you need to take that apart and glue it again after.

The fella that has quoted £200 for alcantara centre is apparently doing a video showing the process which should be helpful. He's also currently sourcing part numbers for the door panels. You can buy the centre console part for about €60 apparently just in case it does horribly wrong.

You could just wrap the areas likely to get dirty and leave the edges in gloss, assuming you can get something that matches reasonably well in colour.

Seems quicker and easier and tbh the wrap is likely to end up wrecked anyway after a couple of years

Maybe a carbon fibre effect or something would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

If your looking for something neat, go for an untethered eo mini or the sync ev. Zappi can be problematic and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I'm certainly considering it. Whatever about the centre console to have the handles the same is just asking for them to get marked, even a matt black would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Finding hard to get information on the ID charger. Does anyone have this charger at their home, picture/video how big is it ? Would need to be on a front facing wall of the driveway here, kinda worried how much of an eyesore it would be. Are there clever ways to hide it ? Also is it a cable from the ESB before it enters the house or from after the metre (on the inside for me) and back out again?

I have an ID charger but it is still in the box, not got around to having it fitted yet. I can take a picture with something beside it for context but it is definitely not small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Mr Q wrote: »
    I have an ID charger but it is still in the box, not got around to having it fitted yet. I can take a picture with something beside it for context but it is definitely not small.
    Would appreciate that! and perhaps a picture or it once installed ? Thank you.

Sorry to bombard with questions, but are there any limits on the wire from the metre box to the charger ? Can a decent guy do a need a job / or are there limitations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Would appreciate that! and perhaps a picture or it once installed ? Thank you.

Sorry to bombard with questions, but are there any limits on the wire from the metre box to the charger ? Can a decent guy do a need a job / or are there limitations ?

Limits as in how far you can run a wire? Not sure, but from my distribution board to where I have the charge point is about 23m and it works without issue. I have a 32a Rolec WallPod, and although it's basic, it works very well. I got my regular electrician to install it a couple of years ago and he did a neat job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I placed some foam behind the the charging flap and the rattle is still there. I will try the plastic trims around the boot glass next.

Pat I was looking at my charge port cover this evening and if I place my nail in the gap under the port and move it a small bit it makes a noise similar to what I was hearing when driving over bumpy roads.

Added a clip of the sound below.

https://imgur.com/a/LfJoka5

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Pat I was looking at my charge port cover this evening and if I place my nail in the gap under the port and move it a small bit it makes a noise similar to what I was hearing when driving over bumpy roads.

Added a clip of the sound below.

https://imgur.com/a/LfJoka5

With the foam wedging the flap closed it would not move. But the rattle was still inside the car. I think it maybe the rear seat because when someone is sitting in it you cant hear it., or maybe they were talking too much to hear it.
    That video is close to the rattle alright. Unless its vw doing an over the air update by morse code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Patmwgs wrote: »
    With the foam wedging the flap closed it would not move. But the rattle was still inside the car. I think it maybe the rear seat because when someone is sitting in it you cant hear it., or maybe they were talking too much to hear it.
    That video is close to the rattle alright. Unless its vw doing an over the air update by morse code.

It could be :pac:

I'd just hope it's not the internal cable from the charger port down to the battery. If that's loose and banging around it might get damaged eventually.

Advertisement