Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How much is the insurance again and does it cover you for the 3 years ?

See the problem with repairing scratches and stone chips is that it's very difficult to get this type of work done without it being obvious that work was done to the paint.

I think each of the packs was €400 and covers you for 3 years. Basically up to the end of the PCP

I believe they're offered by VWFS, not the dealership, so probably the same offer for all dealers

I didn't see it in the small print, but I imagine there's a requirement that the VW garage does the work, so they'll know anyway. On the flip side, they have added incentive to do a good job as it'll protect the resale value for them

We'll see how it works out in 3 years, I'm sure I'll have a bad encounter with a pillar or something before then

I'll probably scratch the alloys or something, that'd be a real heartbreaker :eek:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not much you can do with bird poo other than try to wash it off before it gets stuck on

The more embedded dirt gets, the more damage it'll do to the gel coat when taking it off, so regular washes are the only real solution. I'm trying to wash the ID.4 once a month, hopefully I'll at least make it through the summer before that resolution falls flat

I think there's something to be said for throwing a quick coat of wax on two or three times a year. I'm not particularly good at it but if you can get a coat onto the paintwork after cleaning it then it'll help stop the dirt sticking. Also, shiny car as a bonus :)

I'm saying that now knowing the front of my car is like an insect graveyard and there's muck streaked up one side and the back. I'll wash it next week :)

I find that after a good wax is applied most of the heavy dirt hoses off with a good pressure of water (I don't use a power washer on my car). Then with a good mitt and a neutral pH soapy shampoo a car like the ID.3 is very quick and easy to wash. I almost enjoy it, not like my last Honda which was all awkward shapes which used to hold dirt.
    Bird dirt is another problem though.. My car spends a lot of time at a Fishing village where a recent gull must have demolished some epoxy before depositing it on my car.:eek:. No way it would come off with gentle washing and softening. I had to cut (difficult) a groove in it and drip in boiling water. Eventually it broke apart with no damage to the black roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Had my test drive today, very nice very impressed lovely huge windscreen. I am looking at a 'life' but the model I drove had the full reversing camera, so didn't get to see the sensor only version.

I was given and heavily encouraged to think of the 204hp model not the 104, not sure its something that is worth it.

jogdish wrote: »
    Had my test drive today, very nice very impressed lovely huge windscreen. I am looking at a 'life' but the model I drove had the full reversing camera, so didn't get to see the sensor only version.

I was given and heavily encouraged to think of the 204hp model not the 104, not sure its something that is worth it.

Depends on your priorities, but I would take the 201hp rather than the 145hp every time, I think it's well worth the extra few bob.

eagerv wrote: »
    Depends on your priorities, but I would take the 201hp rather than the 145hp every time, I think it's well worth the extra few bob.
    Do you have any opinion on the rear camera/ compared to the rear sensor ?, I cannot find any video online of the rear sensor without the camera, annoyed i forgot to ask today the show room.

• Advertisement

Do you have any opinion on the rear camera/ compared to the rear sensor ?, I cannot find any video online of the rear sensor without the camera, annoyed i forgot to ask today the show room.

Mine has no camera, first car in a while I have had without. But has sensors front and rear which work well with a good graphic pic and sounds of what's going on. I now don't really miss the camera, vis is pretty good out of the car when reversing. (being rural I don't do much reversing anyway..:))
    But I still think VW should have included it in all models..

eagerv wrote: »
    Mine has no camera, first car in a while I have had without. But has sensors front and rear which work well with a good graphic pic and sounds of what's going on. I now don't really miss the camera, vis is pretty good out of the car when reversing. (being rural I don't do much reversing anyway..:))
    But I still think VW should have included it in all models..
    Appreciated thanks, yup it's no doubt cheap as hell and a simple thing, but I guess that's the market, annoying as it's standard on much cheaper older cars. Thanks again for the feedback.

Appreciated thanks, yup it's no doubt cheap as hell and a simple thing, but I guess that's the market, annoying as it's standard on much cheaper older cars. Thanks again for the feedback.

No problem, agree. But VW are masters at extracting a lot more money from one to move up a spec level..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hogan86

Can anyone with an ID.3 Style tell me does the front matrix led headlights have the :

“IQ. Light with “Eye Technology” welcome scenarios” ?

Does it have the door puddles and the centre led strip between the two headlights and badge ?

Like this video:
    https://youtu.be/O64RBrYuxRg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

hogan86 wrote: »
    Can anyone with an ID.3 Style tell me does the front matrix led headlights have the :

Does it have the door puddles and the centre led strip between the two headlights and badge ?

Like this video:

I don’t know the answer but I wonder do we really need this stuff. I’d cope fine without a reversing camera etc too. In fact if I could get a basic car with the big batteries anddecent seats Id probably go for it. And the safety tech. And save a few grand on the other stuff.

That said our newest car is a 2010 and basic enough spec at that. So I’m not used to all the toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

hogan86 wrote: »

Like this video:

We have the Style spec.

Not sure about the welcome scenarios. Is that where the headlights almost wink at ya? I don’t think it has that. The lights go up and down when you turn them on, but I think that’s more of a self levelling thing.

It does have the puddle lights on the front doors, and the light bar across the front between the head lights does light up.

You can probably replicate the experience of not having a camera

Go into reverse and when the camera screen comes on just hit the X to exit it

When you get close to something, the parking sensors should comes on and it'll show a graphic on the right half of the screen of how close the object is

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Any talk about getting more OTA software updates? i got 2.1 installed back in early march and haven't received anything since.. i had read they planned updates every 12 weeks so hopefully expecting 1 any day now?

Any talk about getting more OTA software updates? i got 2.1 installed back in early march and haven't received anything since.. i had read they planned updates every 12 weeks so hopefully expecting 1 any day now?

Apparently 2.3 is starting to go to customers in Germany, so I guess we'll need to wait for our turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

ewj1978 wrote: »
    As for an update on my broken ID.3. Got a phonecall yesterday saying the new controller was installed and they should be good to go from today. Pity I'm working till Monday :D

Aye, pick the car up Monday morning. Supposedly all fixed. They've a window switch on order. LOL didn't even know a window was broken...

Apparently 2.3 is starting to go to customers in Germany, so I guess we'll need to wait for our turn

I suppose if it all goes tits-up and bricks a few modules it's easier to replace units in Germany than here...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The 2.3 that's going on the few German ID.3s is not the OTA update. The files have been loaded on to the dealer portal and one fella had downloaded them and some owners are installing them manually from USB. I believe it's not the full update, as the HVAC file isn't uploaded yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BOLLOCKS!!!!!

Asshole dealer just emailed to say that the car is scheduled for week 35 delivery.

Original one was week 24.

After his previous cock up it went back to week 29.

Now he says it's week 35.

That means late September or early October for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

That’s rubbish Phil. What are you going to do?

fits wrote: »
    That’s rubbish Phil. What are you going to do?

I honestly have no clue.

Shook hands on a sale for my i3 this morning too. Few hours later this dipstick emails with a delay.

He's offered a loaner til the ID3 comes, but I don't want an October reg car.

But if I push back to a January collection, there's no guarantee that the 0% finance will still exist.

Plus I'm due to handover the i3 at the end of July so even if the 0% rolled onto the 221 car, that would mean 5 months of paying for petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I honestly have no clue.

Shook hands on a sale for my i3 this morning too. Few hours later this dipstick emails with a delay.

He's offered a loaner til the ID3 comes, but I don't want an October reg car.

But if I push back to a January collection, there's no guarantee that the 0% finance will still exist.

Plus I'm due to handover the i3 at the end of July so even if the 0% rolled onto the 221 car, that would mean 5 months of paying for petrol.

If you're getting the car on PCP it won't matter when you buy the car because in three years time you'll be changing up or buying it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I would have thought that most buyers were going the PCP route and handing the car back in 3 years time. I have one of the first cars delivered here and that was a September delivery. Most of the others are in to October and November. I know it's nice to have the newest reg number but at the end of the day it doesn't really make that much difference.

You can always trade up early in 2024 and get a 242 reg at the start of July then.

Well that is my next problem.

As you say value won't matter that much, since I do plan to keep it the 3 years and then trade for another new one.

If I take the loaner offered I'll be out about €1k in petrol waiting for January, or half that if I take an October car..

So for the sake of about €500 difference, would anyone wait for the January car or just grab it ASAP?

The other big potential issue is the 0% finance. If I wait for 221 there's no guarantee it'll continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

can't they do what they did with me and give you a loaner demo EV?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    can't they do what they did with me and give you a loaner demo EV?

Nope. Only has 2 EVs and both in high demand for demos.

To be honest I don't want to deal with this prick at all. I'll see if I can get another dealer to match his price.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well that is my next problem.

As you say value won't matter that much, since I do plan to keep it the 3 years and then trade for another new one.

If I take the loaner offered I'll be out about €1k in petrol waiting for January, or half that if I take an October car..

So for the sake of about €500 difference, would anyone wait for the January car or just grab it ASAP?

The other big potential issue is the 0% finance. If I wait for 221 there's no guarantee it'll continue.

I feel for you Phil, but you know deep down that you can't wait to get your hands on it.
    So get it ASAP and join the club ;)

Oh I will, I just want to change dealers without losing out.

Does anyone know of a video review of the ID.3 base model, or perhaps someone here has one? The pedals do they have the play pause motif? are there many other little details missing/different that are not clear from reading the product guide.
    Every show room is some upper end model, same for youtube

Does anyone know of a video review of the ID.3 base model, or perhaps someone here has one? The pedals do they have the play pause motif? are there many other little details missing/different that are not clear from reading the product guide.
    Every show room is some upper end model, same for youtube

I thought the play/pause pedals were only on the first editions.
    If it's the 45kwh edition, then that's not in production yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What's the ride quality like? Are they hard or soft on the road? I find the Octavia/ Golf are a bit hard and jittery on back roads, the superb are far too wallowy.

Advertisement