Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

who_ru wrote: »
    Did anybody at the Frankfurt show prefer the El Born to the ID.3?
    It looked nicer but it was behind a glass circular fence so not possible to look around the inside of it.

The Up, Mii and Citigo looked very good considering they're an 8 year old design converted on the cheap to EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

TLDR post:) The link to google drive folder with a few photos and videos HERE

After sitting in 3 of ID3s at the show i can say that overall i liked the interior. It's very spacious, especially at the back. The drivers screen is nice, probably OLED, but a bit small and is not really the same as the golfs digital dash (i'll get over it). The main 10" is great and it in reality doesnt look out of place and it doesnt obstruct the view. The touch sensitives buttons are ok (see the link to videos above). The white and orange interior is not great and i assume the white steering wheel will get dirty really quickly. The dashboard materials are soft but the door trim around windows is hard plastic,so in this respect very similar to the interior in Polo. Golf VII has soft trim on front doors and hard plastic at the back. So a step back in ID3 but not as far as VW gone in the two most recent VW crossovers,T-Roc and T-Cross, where you will find hard plastic all around.
    The seat in Plus version were good , but the electric ones in the Max version were great. I dont think i've seen any base versions at the show but i would assume the seats should be the same as in the Plus version. the 19" and 20" wheels are big, but suit the car.
    The boot is surprisingly big and it looked bigger the golfs, although obviously not a patch on the boot in my golf estate;)
    So overall i liked the car and was worth the trip from Cork.

Also, yesterday i got email from the dealer so need to fill in the form. Has anyone choose two trims? I'm happy with the base one as has most the things i have in highline golf and a bit more. Interior lighting, keyless entry and go, bicolour concept design seats i can def live without ( and i dont have them at the moment). I have rear view camera in my car but i dont really use it. ie it's nice to have. Folding mirrors are great when checking that the car is locked but again - nice to have Tinting could be done elsewhere. Of course I would like to to have a car with matrix lights but if the overall package for the Plus version will come with a 6k price tag - i'll give it miss. The standard LED light should be better then my standard halogen light on Golf. WRT to colour i'm thinking Manganese gray for exterior and dark the only dark colour interior available for the base version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Nice review and pictures. I think you spent a lot more time in the car than I did...
    Where's my email Joe, ;)

It's like I've been saying with the i3, got to sit in it and drive it , that completely changed my opinion of the i3 !

rx8 wrote: »
    Nice review and pictures. I think you spent a lot more time in the car than I did...
    Where's my email Joe, ;)
    Thx. I tried to get the Jag test drives on Saturday or Sunday (@9.30!) but the queues were long. Tesla didn’t do test drives and Kona was booked out. But I got lucky and got a ticket for Mercedes 4x4 experience and it was worth it. Climbing a 100% slope (2 shipping containers high), 30 deg ramps and going through massive potholes with 4 people on board was a doddle for a V8 G-wagen. And the driver only used central and back dif locks. Really impressive. I have a few videos of cars climbing the ramps and it doesn’t impress as much.
    I also got spin on escooter and ebike, and my friend and I also got into mclaren f1 and Isle of Man TT simulators - great fun:)
    And you have pay credit to German rail transport system - airport to messe in ab 25min and only €4.95!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is the black hump metal, the same as the rest as the bonnet, or something softer?

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is the black hump metal, the same as the rest as the bonnet, or something softer?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's plastic. Don't remember actually touching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Pricing seems very challenging, I just noticed on the e-mail I received asking me for indicative choices that the 'base' 1st price < 40000 is net of Grants as outlined on the graphic.

I've cancelled my reservation and will review when standard model lineup is available to drive and study. I'm not comfortable with the indicated pricing and not being able to drive prior to commiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

rx8 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's plastic. Don't remember actually touching it.

It's plastic, I had a good grab of it to see how well it was stuck to the bonnet. Not sure how scratch resistant it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

E30i wrote: »
    Pricing seems very challenging, I just noticed on the e-mail I received asking me for indicative choices that the 'base' 1st price < 40000 is net of Grants as outlined on the graphic.

I've cancelled my reservation and will review when standard model lineup is available to drive and study. I'm not comfortable with the indicated pricing and not being able to drive prior to commiting.

I've cancelled mine for this same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no confirmed pricing. I doubt the base 1st is 40k after grants. From my conversation the max will be sub 46 after grants. It's all up in the air nobody knows for sure.

Reply from a dealer when I asked about the pricing and test drives.

"Unfortunately we don’t know the confirmed pricing as of yet hopefully when the car goes in production early next year we should know by them and will communicate it with all the pre bookers
    Yes you will be able to take it for a test drive before purchase, and once we get one here we will let you know straight away"

Called in to my nominated dealer this afternoon. The guy who looks after ev's is on holidays, the others haven't a clue about times, dates, prices anything. He took some details and said he'd get back to me, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Maybe one of them will read this thread and they might have a clue then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

I haven't cancelled yet but if the pricing is as it looks to be, I probably will.

How much is a 184 HP TDI DSG Golf with decent spec ? 42K ?

The ID.3 doesn't seem so bad then really does it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's the range of a TDI engine on a full tank? The rumoured Irish pricing for me is in line with what I think the long range version needs to be at to actually tempt the masses to convert.

What's the range of a TDI engine on a full tank? The rumoured Irish pricing for me is in line with what I think the long range version needs to be at to actually tempt the masses to convert.

I think reasonable range like the Kona would be more than acceptable, that and 100+ Kw charging and of course the availability of chargers needs to greatly improve.

It's not just the range, other things need to improve + the availability and choice of cars.

Is that for real or is it the crap VW Irish site ?

The Golf is only available in 1.6 TDI 115 Hp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

How much is a 184 HP TDI DSG Golf with decent spec ? 42K ?

The ID.3 doesn't seem so bad then really does it ?

Entry level Golf is 25k, and you can get decent trim for 30k - VW had said the ID3 price would be comparable with the Golf.

Why compare low spec ID3 with a top spec Golf? Because electric motors give equivalent acceleration?

It's supposed to be a car for the masses. 99% of people don't care about HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is that for real or is it the crap VW Irish site ?

The Golf is only available in 1.6 TDI 115 Hp ?

Its their new website.... its ****e!

They still have a 2L TDi DSG 150HP for €35k

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Its their new website.... its ****e!

They still have a 2L TDi DSG 150HP for €35k

Jesus , that VW Ireland site is extremely irritating !

SO the 184 HP is gone ?

So how much is the 150 HP Highline DSG ?

Jesus , that VW Ireland site is extremely irritating !

SO the 184 HP is gone ?

So how much is the 150 HP Highline DSG ?

The 150HP diesel Golf seems to only come in the Highline spec. €35k

If you go for Trend or comfortline you have to go with the 1.6TDi.

Dont know about the 184HP one. Dont see it mentioned in their price list, which is dated Jul 2019.

The 150HP diesel Golf seems to only come in the Highline spec. €35k

If you go for Trend or comfortline you have to go with the 1.6TDi.

Dont know about the 184HP one. Dont see it mentioned in their price list, which is dated Jul 2019.

The 184 must be gone, I don't see the GT TDI any more either, is it just adjusted for the Irish market or have they been dropped for emissions reasons ?

Seems like the ID.3 isn't so bad value for money now considering you get 200 Hp and rear wheel drive, it's going to be way better to drive and cost very little to run.

35 K for DSG Highline TDI and add what 2-3 K for DSG ?

+ you can't set timers for heat and AC in the TDI without a Webasto heater costing 1500 Euro's and that's only for heat.

Can't remote active climate either.

The 1.6 TDI must be really boring altogether !

VW website wasn't great at the best of times. The line up is heavily affected by WLTP emissions and its effect on the vrt.

The line up is heavily affected by WLTP emissions and its effect on the vrt.

I think thats happening across all manufacturers. They are removing the worst CO2 offenders from the lower margin cars to reduce their exposure to fines, so if you want your 2L TDi then you have to buy the higher margin Highline spec.

A disclaimer from the product guide for golf:
    "1 VRT Bands and rate of Annual Road tax are valid as of 1st July 2019 and calculated from the correlated NEDC figure derived from WLTP. Due to the change over to the new emission norm EU6d-temp-EVAP the technical data,
    features and consumption figures for this model under MY2020 were not available at the time of going to print."

I think thats happening across all manufacturers. They are removing the worst CO2 offenders from the lower margin cars to reduce their exposure to fines, so if you want your 2L TDi then you have to buy the higher margin Highline spec.

I Didn't see the 2.0L 184 Hp TDI in the Highline rage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I Didn't see the 2.0L 184 Hp TDI in the Highline rage either.

I think that's only available in GTD guise.

TBi wrote: »
    I think that's only available in GTD guise.

That's the thing, I didn't even see a GTD ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

You're right... I don't see the GTI either.

Advertisement