Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Dealer said my id.3 was in the final assembly stage yesterday and hasn't left the factory yet. He'll let me know what boat it's due on.

So I'm reckoning it might get on a boat by Friday and then here next week and maybe collect week after.

I hope it works out for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a few more weeks than that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I hope it works out for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a few more weeks than that

Well hopefully once on the boat it won't be long I'll be hounding the dealer once it's arrived on the Island. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    After a lot of driving yesterday, mine is sitting outside at 25% which is what I got home with - range indicating 119 kms.

I won't be driving again until tomorrow at the earliest so no need to charge it last night.

That would be OK in the city but 119 km wouldn't get me to the nearest hospital and back.

Comer1 wrote: »
    That would be OK in the city but 119 km wouldn't get me to the nearest hospital and back.

Strictly speaking it's the getting to hospital part that you need to worry about, driving back isn't as urgent

However, even if you charge to 80% every night there isn't much penalty to this. The cycle life of the battery is much higher when the battery isn't charged to 100%

Are these calculations correct?

In a year, I currently use approx 6,000 kWh during the day and 1,000 kWh during the night so my night use is only 17% of my daytime use. Day night meter not justified.

With the ID.3 doing 30,000 km per year at say 18kWh/100 km, I'd be using on average an additional 5,400 kWh of electricity. Is that correct?

So if I charge the car at night, with a day night meter, keeping my day usage as it is:

6,000 kWh during the day and 6,400 kWh at night makes a day night metre a no brainer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In a year, I currently use approx 6,000 kWh during the day and 1,000 kWh during the night so my night use is only 17% of my daytime use. Day night meter not justified.

With the ID.3 doing 30,000 km per year at say 18kWh/100 km, I'd be using on average an additional 5,400 kWh of electricity. Is that correct?

So if I charge the car at night, with a day night meter, keeping my day usage as it is:

6,000 kWh during the day and 6,400 kWh at night makes a day night metre a no brainer?

You'd move all the washing, dishwasher, showers etc to night rate as well if possible and reduce your day usage even more.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You'd move all the washing, dishwasher, showers etc to night rate as well if possible and reduce your day usage even more.

It's just a surprise to me that my night usage will be more than my day usage with an EV. Our electricity bills are fairly hefty as it is

Our night rate is well above our day rate which is what you want, get as much as you can on the night rate, EV, dishwasher, immersion, washing machine, dryer etc etc all the high loads if possible on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Our night rate is well above our day rate which is what you want, get as much as you can on the night rate, EV, dishwasher, immersion, washing machine, dryer etc etc all the high loads if possible on night rate.

I’d run the dryer during the day. It’s the most likely to catch fire.

It's just a surprise to me that my night usage will be more than my day usage with an EV. Our electricity bills are fairly hefty as it is

You need to factor in the fuel savings as well when you're looking at your electricity bill

If your bill goes up my 50 euors but your fuel bill goes from 150 to 0 then you're saving 100 :)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

It'll shock you then to learn I managed to send the washing machine up in smoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Dealer said my id.3 was in the final assembly stage yesterday and hasn't left the factory yet. He'll let me know what boat it's due on.

So I'm reckoning it might get on a boat by Friday and then here next week and maybe collect week after.

Any truth in the rumour that there is a ship stuck sideways in Emden port?

:D:D:D

eagerv wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that there is a ship stuck sideways in Emden port?

:D:D:D

lol that would be my luck. :D

lol that would be my luck. :D

I think it's still impounded in Egypt, so you might still be in luck :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I live in the middle of the country!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I think that depends on the rates you're getting. There are plans out there whose "night rates" are almost identical to what others are selling 24-hour electricity for. Sometimes it's even the same supplier. Here's an Energia page for what they are calling their "cheapest electricity offer": https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/electricity

It's the night rate of .1423/kwh incl VAT that they are calling the cheapest. Day rate is .2921 incl VAT (!). But I'm with Energia and, thanks to a bit of haggling, I was able to get a 24-hour rate of .1443 incl VAT.

All that to say: I wouldn't assume that you'll get the most economical deal by switching to a day/night meter, even with an EV.

ted1 wrote: »

Anything can catch fire, TV in standby, Laptop/Phone Power supplies, I don't consider the dryer any more or less likely to catch fire in fact, the battery in People's e-scooter and ebikes are more likely to catch fire and they're more than likely all charging away in areas they can ignite other materials close by than where the dryer would be.

+ buy good quality brands and always have smoke alarms in every room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anything can catch fire, TV in standby, Laptop/Phone Power supplies, I don't consider the dryer any more or less likely to catch fire in fact, the battery in People's e-scooter and ebikes are more likely to catch fire and they're more than likely all charging away in areas they can ignite other materials close by than where the dryer would be.

+ buy good quality brands and always have smoke alarms in every room.

Good points, we also run a lot of stuff at night, but I wouldn't be allowed to run a clothes dryer in this sort of weather. :).
    Also have a son who works at night from his home office, but the house could be burning down around him and he wouldn't notice..

I think that depends on the rates you're getting. There are plans out there whose "night rates" are almost identical to what others are selling 24-hour electricity for. Sometimes it's even the same supplier. Here's an Energia page for what they are calling their "cheapest electricity offer": https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/electricity

It's the night rate of .1423/kwh incl VAT that they are calling the cheapest. Day rate is .2921 incl VAT (!). But I'm with Energia and, thanks to a bit of haggling, I was able to get a 24-hour rate of .1443 incl VAT.

All that to say: I wouldn't assume that you'll get the most economical deal by switching to a day/night meter, even with an EV.

I'm with Energia and they are offering 17.34c day rate, 8.31c night rate after discounts with €329 standing charge

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

What does your ‘My Volkswagen’ show as a matter of interest?

Mine shows the car and model year 2022 but no equipment details yet. I think it’s scheduled for manufacture during week of 01/07.

• Advertisement

electricus wrote: »
    What does your ‘My Volkswagen’ show as a matter of interest?

Mine shows the car and model year 2022 but no equipment details yet. I think it’s scheduled for manufacture during week of 01/07.

I now see the vin and could see the spec all along but it was a good while before I got the number from the dealer to register on the site.

It says 2021 model year.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I now see the vin and could see the spec all along but it was a good while before I got the number from the dealer to register on the site.

It says 2021 model year.

Thanks, I ordered back in May but only asked for the commission number this week as it’s just about due to start production. I guess details will start to appear when that gets underway.

I’ll have to stop myself checking too often 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

We’ve decided that even if car comes mid- late July we won’t pick it up until the second week in August. We will need to bring the suv on holidays as dog, bikes, roof box and trailer are all coming. Don’t want to leave a brand new car on the driveway for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

fits wrote: »
    We’ve decided that even if car comes mid- late July we won’t pick it up until the second week in August. We will need to bring the suv on holidays as dog, bikes, roof box and trailer are all coming. Don’t want to leave a brand new car on the driveway for two weeks.
    It would be nice if the car or the app could store the complete charge history from either home or public charging. It should not be that hard to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi ( At this point I feel guilty asking so many what about/if questions , hopefully still ok with the thread )

Dealership basically steered me towards 204hp, over 145 - the reason being fairly nebulous to me - but at the point this could be one of those things they are actually giving me good advise on. For the record I drive safe, I usually avoid unnecessary overtaking and I don't care about 0-60. Current car is a 1.4 petrol, fine. Drive at 120 on the motorway and stick to limits.

After seeing some of 'features' missing from the ID.3 Life, I started to look at the 'Family' am I victim to stupid marketing, the sunroof looks so cool, but Im really interested in the cameras and 'ski hatch' and little thing and also thinking ahead to resale value. I sat in a 'Style' at the show room, lovely thing.

Would appreciated any comments/remarks.

Patmwgs wrote: »
    It would be nice if the car or the app could store the complete charge history from either home or public charging. It should not be that hard to add.

There's probably some GDPR rules meaning it would be too much hassle for VW. Nissan removed the ability to look up the location of the Leaf for this reason AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi ( At this point I feel guilty asking so many what about/if questions , hopefully still ok with the thread )

Dealership basically steered me towards 204hp, over 145 - the reason being fairly nebulous to me - but at the point this could be one of those things they are actually giving me good advise on. For the record I drive safe, I usually avoid unnecessary overtaking and I don't care about 0-60. Current car is a 1.4 petrol, fine. Drive at 120 on the motorway and stick to limits.

After seeing some of 'features' missing from the ID.3 Life, I started to look at the 'Family' am I victim to stupid marketing, the sunroof looks so cool, but Im really interested in the cameras and 'ski hatch' and little thing and also thinking ahead to resale value. I sat in a 'Style' at the show room, lovely thing.

Would appreciated any comments/remarks.

We have the Style spec. The main things missing from it that the Family has are the reversing camera and dual zone heating. (Not sure about rear speakers, but we’re looking into adding them to our car). Thought the camera would be a big omission, but we’re getting on fine without it. I think the Family is a better spec for sure, but the Style is a very good middle ground and arguably more bang for buck? We paid €1250 more for Style over the asking price for Life, so it was a good value upgrade (alloys for the Life would have been €950 alone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

We have the Style spec. The main things missing from it that the Family has are the reversing camera and dual zone heating. (Not sure about rear speakers, but we’re looking into adding them to our car). Thought the camera would be a big omission, but we’re getting on fine without it. I think the Family is a better spec for sure, but the Style is a very good middle ground and arguably more bang for buck? We paid €1250 more for Style over the asking price for Life, so it was a good value upgrade (alloys for the Life would have been €950 alone).
    How do you find the panoramic sunroof? Distraction ? Too much heat on a sunny day? Any downside ?

How do you find the panoramic sunroof? Distraction ? Too much heat on a sunny day? Any downside ?

I've got the sunroof on the ID.4, I think it's brilliant, really opens up the space in the car

I don't find it adds much heat on sunny days, the AC seems fairly powerful and keeps the car cool. I would try to close it when the car is parked just to keep the car cool when not being used

I do find that I'll close the sun shade partway on sunny days to stop the kids in the back being blinded by the sunshine.

It's also great entertainment in the rain as the kids race the water drops running along the glass :)

About the only disadvantage that I can think of (other than the price) is that when you get bird poop on the roof you'll see it every time you get in the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Not a distraction, I think it adds enjoyment to the car. If parked up, I’ll probably keep it closed if we ever get a really sunny day! But I doubt the blind would make much difference to overheating, because by the time the heat energy hits the blind, it’s already in the car.

Advertisement