Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Have you had a test drive of the 204bhp ID3,

Family member has one and they find it very skittish in winter, they found it hard to control it on icy surfaces as the power was so instant.

If you were buying a normal ICE Family car would you go for the 200bhp one ?

The solution to that is don't drive on Ice with Summer Tyres, the difference Winter Tyres make is night and day on ICE and Snow surfaces.

200 Hp vs 145 ? no question get the 200 Hp because on ICE and Snow it's not going to make much of a difference whether you have 145 or 200 Hp driving on ICE and Snow with Summer Tyres is dangerous because you'll notice it more if you have to stop and in that case the power of the car doesn't matter but having Regen on the rear wheels does make it a little trickier if unaware how it effects the car on ICE.

The camera is very useful. It can be set to extra wide so that you can see pretty much both sides of the rear of the car. If you're reversing out of a driveway you can see the footpath both sides before the back wheels even touch it. Or if parked between two massive SUVs, you can see if there's a car about to cross behind you. You can't do that with windows, mirrors or sensors.

It might be useful for someone who finds it difficult to reverse using Mirrors and Windows alright but the more People depend on cameras the less they're likely to look through the windows and I don't think that's a good thing. My side mirrors can see the sides of the cars and the sensors pick anything up lower down.

hogan86 wrote: »

I do get its very different and instant power delivery that most people would not be used to and in the wet/icy conditions it would catch you out.

Driving on proper Winter tyres will make the most difference, a car with less power is not going to make much of a difference if you're driving on Summer Tyres on Ice especially when you need to stop quickly, then power is irrelevant but RWD electrics can be tricky over ICE with regen on the rear wheels they can lock causing you to fishtail, meaning Winter Tyres are even more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

hogan86 wrote: »
    I havent actually been able to drive one with work/kids/life never giving me much free time but I have a Tesla model 3 SR+ thats in and around 280bhp or so from memory and i have no issues and she seems to be fine too with that power. Id rather more power than less but most of my cars have been in and around that 200bhp or so and recently a golf gti and a range rover sport.

I do get its very different and instant power delivery that most people would not be used to and in the wet/icy conditions it would catch you out.

I can't remember off hand what size tyres are on the ID3 but I don't think they are as wide as normal alloys so the grip profile is less than probably your Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I can't remember off hand what size tyres are on the ID3 but I don't think they are as wide as normal alloys so the grip profile is less than probably your Tesla.

My ID3 has 215/50/R19. Think a Tesla is 235 on 18 inch.

So in my ID3 I've 215 on the road for 204hp and the Model 3 would be 235 for 280hp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It might be useful for someone who finds it difficult to reverse using Mirrors and Windows alright but the more People depend on cameras the less they're likely to look through the windows and I don't think that's a good thing. My side mirrors can see the sides of the cars and the sensors pick anything up lower down.

Did you misunderstand the points I made about not having sight through the windows or mirrors when reversing, in particular for cross traffic?

For years I drove rear blind vehicles. (no rear windows or rear side glass) so I have no problems reversing using mirrors, but you can't see where you can't see. The camera can.

Interesting that trucks and large vans are now routinely fitted with rear cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you misunderstand the points I made about not having sight through the windows or mirrors when reversing, in particular for cross traffic?

For years I drove rear blind vehicles. (no rear windows or rear side glass) so I have no problems reversing using mirrors, but you can't see where you can't see. The camera can.

Interesting that trucks and large vans are now routinely fitted with rear cameras.

I find it odd that such basic safety equipment isn’t standard across the range. For a camera that costs less than 10 euro it’s downright misreable

Ah yeah I can understand trucks needing cameras or vans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ah yeah I can understand trucks needing cameras or vans :D

So, when you're reversing out from between two tall vehicles, where you can't see if there's cross traffic, do you just blunder out hoping they'll avoid you?

The camera is another driver aid. It can give a view from the rear of the car, and would have a view that you can't possibly have from the driver seat. The ID camera is particularly useful as you can select the ultra wide mode that shows cross traffic from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Have you had a test drive of the 204bhp ID3,

Family member has one and they find it very skittish in winter, they found it hard to control it on icy surfaces as the power was so instant.

If you were buying a normal ICE Family car would you go for the 200bhp one ?

I certainly haven't found that, after driving in all conditions over the winter. I find the RWD is very sure footed. Yes, plenty of torque, but how that is used is up to the driver.:). Traction control will cut in if abused..
    Also many family cars have similar HP/Tonne nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Who in our climate puts winter tyres on in the winter? I used to live in New England and, even there, very few people changed their tyres in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So, when you're reversing out from between two tall vehicles, where you can't see if there's cross traffic, do you just blunder out hoping they'll avoid you?

The camera is another driver aid. It can give a view from the rear of the car, and would have a view that you can't possibly have from the driver seat. The ID camera is particularly useful as you can select the ultra wide mode that shows cross traffic from both sides.

He's a mad lad. Just floors it and off he goes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Sorry to butt-in on this thread, which I've been following but not posted on before.

Could I ask what sort of gmfvs people are getting on, specifically, the Tech spec ID3 204?

I don't have this number myself, but would like to compare with what others get for this spec.

I know gmfvs can be fairly standardised, but I have seen variations for similarly priced cars of the same spec (not ID3s) from different dealers in the past and am curious.

Thanks for any replies

Well my answer to that is 99% of the time I'm not reversing out into traffic because any time I park I make sure where possible I'm facing in a way I can drive straight out and not have to reverse out.

Who in our climate puts winter tyres on in the winter? I used to live in New England and, even there, very few people changed their tyres in winter.

It was mentioned that getting the lower power car vs the higher power car would make a difference on ICE my point is that the winter tyres would make much more of a difference on ICE vs lower power and it makes even more sense on a RWD ev where regen is on the rear axle, when regen kicks in it can be like pulling the hand brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Well my answer to that is 99% of the time I'm not reversing out into traffic because any time I park I make sure where possible I'm facing in a way I can drive straight out and not have to reverse out.

I try to do the same except for supermarket car pals when I need to move bags from trolley to boot.

The reverse campers, rear traffic detection and blind spot warning in my current car has saved me a few times in car parks when I couldn’t see cars approaching in my mirrors or windows. It’s especially useful on rainy days like today.

Na never needed camera, the i3 has one but never use it to be honest. Camera, HUD, Glass roof are way down the list of essentials in a car for me. :D

Dealer just got back to me, id3 still in final assembly stage for over a week.

My guess at this point is that it will now be August.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

It was mentioned that getting the lower power car vs the higher power car would make a difference on ICE my point is that the winter tyres would make much more of a difference on ICE vs lower power and it makes even more sense on a RWD ev where regen is on the rear axle, when regen kicks in it can be like pulling the hand brake.

You can keep it on d mode regen rather than b mode, then the regen will be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Did this 2.1 update get scheduled charging working ?
    We have decided to change for a bigger car here but the new car needs to have its timing schedule controlled to allow the second ev to charge.

I’ve booked a test drive with an id3 for next week but feel it will be time wasted if the car can’t charge between a specific time slot. Current set up is
    12-3am i3
    3.15- 7am Zoe

Im not interested in plugging in the id3 before the night rate or having to restrict it to charge to a certain percentage.

Any info would be appreciated and will help to narrow down the decision process.

• Advertisement

Patmwgs wrote: »
    You can keep it on d mode regen rather than b mode, then the regen will be manageable.

Until you press the brakes :D but yeah you have to be prepared for how a rwd car reacts on ice with regen.

handpref wrote: »
    We have decided to change for a bigger car here but the new car needs to have its timing schedule controlled to allow the second ev to charge.

I’ve booked a test drive with an id3 for next week but feel it will be time wasted if the car can’t charge between a specific time slot. Current set up is
    12-3am i3
    3.15- 7am Zoe

Im not interested in plugging in the id3 before the night rate or having to restrict it to charge to a certain percentage.

Any info would be appreciated and will help to narrow down the decision process.

With the right charge points no reason with load management the 2 cars can't charge at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

No. Rumour is that the next update due in august will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

12-3am i3
    3.15- 7am Zoe

The next update is 2.3, no news yet on whether it has fixed the charging timers

Personally I've gotten around it by using a charger with a timer (Zappi)

I've also got the Zappi setup to load balance against the other charger, but I haven't got this working properly yet. When I do then it'll mean I'll be able to charge the ID.4 at full power once the Leaf finishes charging

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

With the right charge points no reason with load management the 2 cars can't charge at the same time.

Realistically how often would you need to charge the two together

The IDs have between 350 and 520 km range. Charging to 80% give 280 to 426km. That’ll keep most people going for a week. So you could charge every second or third day.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Sound, but I’m not changing out two perfectly good chargers for ones that load balance. If they sort the charging between now and the end of year I’d consider it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We're a two EV household for years, never had to charge both cars same night

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Sound, but I’m not changing out two perfectly good chargers for ones that load balance. If they sort the charging between now and the end of year I’d consider it.

Ah didn't know you had two charge pints already, In that case you need timer to work alright.

I just got my Zappy installed, load balancing and all set up to monitor the load of the house which will drop the power to the car if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Watch this space then I guess, hopefully a few ID owners here will get the update in the next month or so and will be able to report back

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I'm hoping to get the 2.3 update very soon. The 1st movers are supposed to be getting it first and the word from Germany is that the charge timers are fixed with it. Not that I use it, but might come in handy at some stage.

Advertisement