Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How long will it take to charge the 1st from 0 to full with the VW 11kw home charger? Does the supply coming into the house make a difference like if you have 12 or 16kv supply.

about 55kWh available so if it is completely empty and you have a 3 phase charger that can provide 11kW it will take 55/11 = 5 hours

Most people don't have 3 phase at home so can only charge on 7.2kW on a single phase it will take 55/7.2 = about 8 hours to fully charge

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't have 3 phase at home and I was getting a new connection in a different house during the week and the chap in ESB told me go for 16kVA as it'll be handy if I ever get an EV.

It's just the VW charger is 11kw so I assumed you could make the best of it at home. I assume your standing charge goes way up if you get 3 phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't have 3 phase at home and I was getting a new connection in a different house during the week and the chap in ESB told me go for 16kVA as it'll be handy if I ever get an EV.

It's just the VW charger is 11kw so I assumed you could make the best of it at home. I assume your standing charge goes way up if you get 3 phase.

3 phase is thousands to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am getting absolutely blasted by ID.3 advertising on YouTube.

Like, 80% of the ads.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ads on YouTube?

I don't get any ads :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

16kVA is the right choice but it wont give you 11kW 3ph EV charging.

I'm not sure of the exact figures but I dont think it goes up much, if any. The cost is getting it in in the first place and then wiring the house appropriately for it.

I have 3 phase in the i3 and believe me, it's very handy and if the ESB are planning an expansion of the AC network would make sense to get if the price isn't ridiculous.

11 Kw AC means much less waiting at fast chargers , whether the are available or not to use the issue is the same, if I can plug in and go about my business and come back to a charged car or enough to get home then I don't have to worry about fast charging or have to stop on route for 30-40 mins. I would miss 11 Kw charging to be honest but, AC points are a lot busier now with all the plug ins on the road with tiny batteries means plug in drivers are addicted to chargers.

Lumen wrote: »

Like, 80% of the ads.

Anyone else?

I was getting hit with ID ads all morning, switched to cider at around 2...I'll be in the pub at 6 if Carlsberg tempt me.
    I was doing a lot of Tesla googling yesterday so that's probably it. As for the beer it probably knows I'm at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

JPA wrote: »
    3 phase is thousands to get in.

I have a quote from the ESB for an upgrade to 3Phase in front of me. the actual total cost - for my house - is only €1,158.00

There is (as far as I can tell) no difference at all to standing charge. I'm having building work done so worth my while doing it for that reason, but if spending 1000 or so on an EV charger, doubling that cost could double (or more if you have a Tesla, i3 or Audi) the speed of charging

If you have a 3 phase car 3 phase will be good but if not what is the use ? all your single phase stuff will still be handicapped by a current limit won't it ?

You may find that 2 electrics charging at 7.5 Kw would be a greater limit on single phase.

+ in reality over a 8 hr off peak charge at 7 Kw you should put back 56 Kwh to the battery, that should be more than enough over night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

catharsis wrote: »
    I have a quote from the ESB for an upgrade to 3Phase in front of me. the actual total cost - for my house - is only €1,158.00

That’s really good.
    What kVA are they quoting you for?

Is your electrician charging anything extra to utilise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Like, 80% of the ads.

Anyone else?

I would say ab 99% of ads I get on YouTube are now VW. ID3 or the new Passat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Like, 80% of the ads.

Anyone else?

Me too, constant the last 10 days. The worst part is that the music is so catchy and its a decent add. It’s done its job as I have looked closer at the car but there is no chance it will replace a model 3 or I3.

Now the buzz on the other hand..... I have started saving up already and will make sure I am a day 1 owner.

I guarantee the ID.3 will sell like hotcakes !

And I guarantee a lot more people here will like it once they sit in and drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

KCross wrote: »
    That’s really good.
    What kVA are they quoting you for?
    that was initially for 16kVA, but eh person on the phone recommended increasing it to 20 - the engineer who was here I think said I could have up to 29kVA without any extra cost though?
    KCross wrote: »
    Is your electrician charging anything extra to utilise it?
    not sure yet, I am getting a whole new fuse board and meter etc as part of a major refurb, so not sure if the costs associated will be anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I received a new email this afternoon with an update on the specs.

Previously the base version had something called IQ drive with lane assist, front assist. Parking assist and adaptive cruise control. Now I just lists “driver assistance systems” and there are various Assists listed on the Max version. I wonder what the difference is? Have they moved some features?

Still no more on price beyond the fabled under 40k

ID.3 1ST – Full Comfort

The exclusive ID.3 1ST offers everything you need for a comfortable start into an electrifying future. At an affordable price.

Starting price: Under €40,000 (after Government Incentives for Private Customers).

Equipment highlights:

18" alloy wheels
    Heated leather multifunction steering wheel
    Heated front seats
    DAB+ Radio and App-Connect
    Navigation system “Discover Pro” including “Streaming & Internet“
    Hello ID. Voice control
    Driver assistance systems
    Four paint colours to choose from
    Interior in Platinum Grey / Glossy Black
    Mode 2 Charging cable

ID.3 1ST Plus – Seriously Stylish

Additional design elements, like the three exclusive interior colour combinations add to the personality of the ID.3 1ST Plus. This car will also seduce you when its LED headlights greet and "look" at you whenever you approach it.

Equipment highlights in addition to the ID.3 1ST

19" alloy wheels “Andoya”
    Tinted windows at the rear and side
    Choice of three “Art Velour“ design seats, including comfort package
    Exterior style package “Silver“
    Light package (IQ.Light – LED matrix headlights, LED background lighting and extended exterior lighting)
    Welcome package (“Keyless Advanced“ and illuminated door handle)
    “Rear View“ reversing camera

ID.3 1ST Max – Hightech – All In

If you want premium and the latest high-tech equipment, you may fall in love with the ID.3 1ST Max.

Equipment highlights in addition to the ID.3 1ST Plus
    20" light alloy wheels “Sanya”
    Cockpit Infotainment including augmented reality (AR) head-up display
    Panorama sliding/tilting glass roof
    Premium “Beats” sound system
    “Travel Assist“, “Lane Assist“, “Side Assist“, “Emergency Assist”
    Comfort seats with adjustable lumbar support and massage function
    Mobile phone interface “Comfort” with inductive charging function
    Special interior in Dusty Grey Dark / Glossy Black

What's the odds of getting the claimed 450km mileage, let's say on a day like today, radio on, satnav, maybe an hour massage, driving lights on for the 400km, good majority of the drive cruise set to 120km for 80% of the time, literally picked up the kids with 10 minutes to spare so no time to be messing around getting a top up charge. 390km clocked up....I'm thinking it won't get anywhere near 450km...what do the EV guys reckon...

What's the odds of getting the claimed 450km mileage, let's say on a day like today, radio on, satnav, maybe an hour massage, driving lights on for the 400km, good majority of the drive cruise set to 120km for 80% of the time, literally picked up the kids with 10 minutes to spare so no time to be messing around getting a top up charge. 390km clocked up....I'm thinking it won't get anywhere near 450km...what do the EV guys reckon...

There is no claim of a 450km range. The claim is "range of up to 420 km (as per WLTP).".

WLTP is not cruising at 120kph, so the odds are exactly zero.

Sorry 420, so what do you reckon under those conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If that's your typical usage I'd suggest an EV may not be an ideal choice for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I received a new email this afternoon with an update on the specs.

Previously the base version had something called IQ drive with lane assist, front assist. Parking assist and adaptive cruise control. Now I just lists “driver assistance systems” and there are various Assists listed on the Max version. I wonder what the difference is? Have they moved some features?

Still no more on price beyond the fabled under 40k

ID.3 1ST – Full Comfort

The exclusive ID.3 1ST offers everything you need for a comfortable start into an electrifying future. At an affordable price.

Starting price: Under €40,000 (after Government Incentives for Private Customers).

Equipment highlights:

18" alloy wheels
    Heated leather multifunction steering wheel
    Heated front seats
    DAB+ Radio and App-Connect
    Navigation system “Discover Pro” including “Streaming & Internet“
    Hello ID. Voice control
    Driver assistance systems
    Four paint colours to choose from
    Interior in Platinum Grey / Glossy Black
    Mode 2 Charging cable

ID.3 1ST Plus – Seriously Stylish

“Rear View“ reversing camera

ID.3 1ST Max – Hightech – All In

Mobile phone interface “Comfort” with inductive charging function

Those specs are a little depressing. Reversing camera and phone charging coming only in 40k+ models. I know VW have played this game for years but at some point their brand premium isn't going to stretch to omitting these kinds of things, things that people are getting as standard elsewhere. That point may well be now, with the EV market putting everything up for grabs brand rep wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭zoom_cool

There is no heat pump listed either.

And heat pump listed in the German top spec emails

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

zoom_cool wrote:
    And heat pump listed in the German top spec emails

Ah the paddy specs offensive :)

Kramer wrote:
    If that's your typical usage I'd suggest an EV may not be an ideal choice for you.
    So let me get this right - the person will drive 3.5 hours motorway speed without any break but then won't have time for a short let's say 15 minutes break to charge / eat / piss / rest??? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

McGiver wrote:
    So let me get this right - the person will drive 3.5 hours motorway speed without any break but then won't have time for a short let's say 15 minutes break to charge / eat / piss / rest??? Seriously?

Your assuming there will be an available and working charger at the exact spot of this 15 minute theoretical stop. Extremely unlikely.

If you have to do 390km trip regularly do not buy any EV with a WLTP range of 420kms. There will be many times you'll only get 350km range (motorway driving in temperatures below 10 degrees). Avoid!

BigAl81 wrote:
    Your assuming there will be an available and working charger at the exact spot of this 15 minute theoretical stop. Extremely unlikely.
    Of course not. Think it's more of mindset issue than anything else.
    Experienced EV driver would plan his pee/eat/rest/charge stop accordingly and make it happen somewhere between 50-20% SOC which gives say a 2 hour window where and when it could happen, this makes it from extremely unlikely to very likely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

BigAl81 wrote: »

If you have to do 390km trip regularly do not buy any EV with a WLTP range of 420kms. There will be many times you'll only get 350km range (motorway driving in temperatures below 10 degrees). Avoid!

Any time after the first 100km would be OK for a 50km top up. Realistically you are almost certainly going to be passing a multi charger site within the next 18 months on a journey like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

McGiver wrote: »
    So let me get this right .........Seriously?

So you're quoting me.......because?

:confused:

Kramer wrote:
    So you're quoting me.......because?
    Sorry quoted you for instead the person you quoted...

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    If you have to do 390km trip regularly do not buy any EV with a WLTP range of 420kms.
    I don't think there is an EV on sale that will do 390km between charges all year around at motorway speeds (>120kph GPS) with any degree of certainty.

It's a bit of a nonsense requirement.

Even it was possible, someone would come along and say they wanted to do Dublin-Waterford return without recharging and so needed 520km range at motorway speeds in the wet and sometimes they're late for a flight so need to go faster and what if they don't want to deplete the battery below 10% and what about if Sentry Mode is on for a few hours or what if they park at the airport for a week and suffer phantom drain and what about when the battery degrades by 15% cos they're doing a lot of miles and charging to 100% regularly.

Advertisement