Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nice looking alloys..

Have already had a chance to drive on icy roads last winter with the stock tyres, wasn't a problem tbh. The traction control works well, even with the regen.

But if I lived up near the arctic circle like you 😁 I would probably go for winter tyres. Last winter wasn't a bad one down here and I am lucky (Or unlucky?) to be able to walk to work if bad snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

I live 10 minutes walk from the Luas so I'd probably never take the ID3 out in snow or ice. If needs must the front-wheel drive Volvo would be up to the task.

Range hit ? with the wind and rain I have noticed some higher consumption but with so much range it's not an issue.

One thing I heard about was the battery heater chewing up range but I have the evnotify app going now and the battery heater didn't come on once during my morning commute, battery stuck around 12.5-13.5 deg which I'm afraid is no good for fast charging.

Just for a laugh I set the sat nav to Ionioty Kill to see if the battery would kick in and sure enough it didn't lol

Need 20-25 Deg C for full fast charge power at least.

I don't know what activates the battery heater, could it be like the bmw i3 where it heats just enough to allow max regen and acceleration, around 10 DEg C ?

As far as I can tell battery temp needs to be down fairly low for the battery heating. Perhaps 5c but not sure on that. Probably those with early starts will be hit hardest in the frosty mornings. I have regularly had no battery heating on cold days last winter when driving later when temp is up a bit. Rare enough down here for temp to stay below 5c all day, but does happen.

Will be interested in your findings with the app...

Yeah will be interesting but sadly no good for Winter charging. Would be great to have the option to heat the battery before fast charging but I doubt this feature will ever come.

• Advertisement

Yes would be great to have that option, though hasn't been a problem generally for me. By the time I need to charge have normally been driving for a few hours. OK, speeds not as good as the summer, but not bad either. With your work charging cool battery should not cause problems..

Don't forget to heat up your car before leaving while still plugged in. Very easy to do with the app..

No for me it's no issue, I preheat mostly off the battery as I don't need to plug in for work commute mostly now.

Still, goes to show that charging an ev in Winter is still not optimal. Hopefully they add option to heat the battery prior to fast charge because having 125 Kw charging is meaningless due to poor charge curve and also cold battery, when you need to fast charge the option should be there even as rare as it is for me to fast charge for others with less Kwh battery they might need to charge more than me and it's mostly when away from home you need to charge at DC the most.

The id.3 battery doesn't heat up much from driving from what I see.

So I expect the battery heater is just there for now at least to allow max regen and acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Battery heater kicks in when it's temperature is below 8 degrees. Pre heating the cabin also heats the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

It downloaded for swmbo last sunday and i finally after 3 attemps got it installed 4 days later when i came home. the second part started downloading straight after and to keep it downloading i put drivers seat belt in to keep it awake and then installed it overnight

I changed mine to the bosch equivalent and they are really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Just as a FYI.

My car has Bosch wiper blades out of the factory...........

Do you know what temp the battery heater switches off ? This shows, just like the BMW i3 that the battery heater function is only there to allow max regen and acceleration and of course protect it from severe cold in colder climates but it's just not for fast charging which is a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah AFAIK the car will just always try to keep the battery in a particular temperature range (~25C) without any consideration for charging

The issue for charging is that once the car has initially heated the battery it'll allow it to cool down, expecting it to stay warm from driving. Because of this, plus the big battery, you might end up with a cold battery when you arrive at the charger

I think it kicks on the battery heater when you start charging, so you might see slow charging for a few mins but it should pick up quickly enough

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

My information is the car switches off battery heating when it reaches 16 degrees. Example! Try this. If the battery temp is say 6 degrees after a short journey you switch of and restart the battery may have reached the magic 8 degrees the heating stops.

Was out earlier this morning on a short run, battery heater never came on. Outside temp about 2.5c.

Wonder have VW made changes after the update? Or perhaps battery held heat from run yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I bought a full size spare with my leaf in Feb 2017, having got a puncture at km 121!

67,000 kms later, I just replaced one of the tyres with it.

I would just use the free pickup service and forget about the spare wheel, you would need to have it well fixed in the boot, otherwise its a Mel/Danny item

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I drive in B, use assisted cruise and navigation all the time, even when coming home from town.

On longer return journeys that might be just at the battery limit, I will cut the 120 back a bit, otherwise let it decide, more time for watching U tube videos.

I used to always look at charging at my destination for longer trips, now I will top up on route, gives more options.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No definitely doesn't try keep the battery at anywhere near 25 Deg, with ev notify I haven't seen the battery heater come on.

Battery temp when I got into the car this morning was around 9 Deg c and no battery heating which is fine for me as I was doing some local driving. But it would be a real nice feature to have it pre warmed prior to fast charging.

That's got me thinking now, perhaps the battery heater will come on when it knows it's at a fast charger ? Might take some time to warm the battery though from around 8 degrees.

• Advertisement

I used Android auto yesterday and today , not impressed, when I press on tune in or Spotify it says doesn't seem to be working but it works if it's open on the phone first ?

I will try see if it works with the cable.

Appple car play works brilliantly Android auto seems quite sluggish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have no issues with Spotify or anything else on Android Auto to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Spotify has worked fine for me this week wirelessly with Android Auto on the Pixel 6.

Thing is that neither tune in or Spotify open from the infotainment screen unless it's open on the phone first.

They do for me.

Try restarting your phone or forgetting the phone on the car and relinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I haven't found Android auto particularly impressive but I'm guessing that's because I'm using an older phone (OnePlus 3T)

It seems that it needs a lot of processing power and only the latest phones can keep up

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Emailed vw this morning about 2.3. ( second part had failed to complete). Update appeared almost immediately and is installed now. Very quick response.

What email did you use? I haven't even gotten part 1 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

What type pressure are people putting into the tyres? I have mine at 36 and find it a bit choppy/bouncy, particularly in the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

Advertisement