Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

Yeah I don't know either, whether the dealer was supposed to install it or not I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Do any of you notice that the steering wheel heater seems to work the wrong way around. That is to say that the 'High' setting only seems to barely warm it up, but the 'Low' setting has it roasting.??

I've noticed this since I got the car. I think it's a glitch from when they swapped over to the RHD settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The efficiency wouldn't really bother me on your trips to be honest because of the extra range over the Golf for the long trips, it's a lot more efficient on the long trips, it's actually quite decent and this is where you would see far less benefit if you change because warmer weather efficiency should be a lot better and the difference between depreciation vs efficiency of next car which might not be all that more efficient would be a very costly mistake in my opinion.

The charge timers would annoy me the most but, to be perfectly honest, getting the Wallbox, which is a lot easier to use and a lot neater than the Zappy, would be a much cheaper alternative than changing the car at this point. You shouldn't have to of course but compared the cost of the Wallbox vs depreciation it would be quite mad to change + you can sell your existing charge point.

We'll see if VW change things for the better, it's brand new territory for Volkswagen, they will get the hang of it eventually, even tesla were plagued with issues in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mine seems fine as well. I find high settings too hot, normally leave it on lowest setting. Same with the seats. Only slight problem I have is with the artificial sound generator at slow speeds. Seems to have stopped working, but not complaining..🙂

• Advertisement

Must listen out for that on mine. I think its still working.

What I did notice today on mine (but I think it stopped a while back) is that it no longer throws up that message on each startup about not having an active internet account... you know that message box next to the internet signal... that used annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Doesn't throw up that message every time on mine, but enough of the time to still be a bit of a nuisance. Though I do tend not to notice it as much ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Next space saver wheel question...

Can you mix wheel sizes briefly in the event of a flat?

My car came with 19s but when I got a set of winter wheels I went with 18s as they're cheaper. But if I'm buying a spare wheel, can I use one spare all year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

My sound generator has been replaced by VW already. When I parked the car it would keep making strange noises for 45 to 60 minutes and the lights wouldn't go off.

Working as normal now but I don't really notice the noise from it when driving at slow speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If you have the 215/50/19 as standard I assume you put 215/55/18s on for winters. These are close enough in diameter so it wouldn't be an issue to use as a spare all year with one of those sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Just done over night charging using the on board timer and settings. Worked flawlessly.

Id3 58kw Life Pro Model.

Has anyone else noticed very poor 4G signal on their id3 ? in areas I should be getting good signal I get only 1 bar, my own phone would have max signal and the id3 only 1 bar.

Also, I noticed on a few occasions it would tell me GPS signal lost.

I'm only really paying attention to it now because I'm waiting for the 2.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

now that you mention it… I only tried it once on low but decided it was for icy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I haven’t tried other settings yet, only used the low one. One thing I’ve noticed is that despite having the app preheating setting which control the side of the vehicle set to right it heats up the passenger side. The only way to see this is to check the main screen in the car during preheating - the passenger seat is being heated. Need to take a photo one day and have a good old rant in the VW Facebook group:)

Do it a few more times and see if its consistent. Consistency is the issue with the ID.3 timers.

Its hard to pin down but sometimes the car just doesnt charge fully for some reason. Its hit and miss when using timers but 100% reliable if you manually start it. Possibly something to do with the car going to sleep, so the amount of time its idle before the timer kicks in or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The bigger loss will be the fact that loss of efficiency is spread over 58 kwh instead of 32.5 kwh like your old eGolf imo.

By my calculations the loss of kms per kwh in winter is the same on both cars at 2.7 kms per kwh.

I don't think your ID3 is worse then your old eGolf for efficiency loss but the loss of range looks drastic when its 160 kms instead of 90.

But yet the gap between 90 kms loss in eGolf and 160 kms does correlate to difference in battery size.

However there is a solid argument that VW should have improved battery efficiency on ID3 as a dedicated EV platform

I was wondering whether the charging speed wasn't the only update to the app. I haven't noticed previous but now you can start the charging on esb chargers via the wecharge app. It worked for the rochestown 50kW charger which still doesn't read cards (I reported in August!). Nice addition to the app but I'm going to use up my last €10 of the credit and probably will never use the app again. The new we charge plan prices are extortionate for my mainly local use:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what are we looking at here: is this recharge rates on a ESB charge point?

Is this what interoperability looks like at CPs?

Anyone can use any CP but their app will decide own pricing?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

good maths.

i never noticed that amount of range drop in my egolf though - with heat pump I was getting a pretty consistent 190-200km in the winter.

Like I said earlier, the big difference is on my short runs; a typical weekly commute of 150-190km sees me having to charge the id3 as often as I charged the egolf.

• Advertisement

Yes, wecharge prices but also charge and pay toggle at the bottom which allows app activation of charging session. Don't who is going to pay those prices instead of esb prices

It's a real shame most if not all electric car manufacturers refuse to show the amount of Kwh you use per charge or per trip, it's really mad, Kwh/100 Km is absolute sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For We Charge accessing ESB ecars, are you charged the PAYG price for the session or the Membership rates from ecars.

Neither, the price you pay is seen in the picture. It’s too expensive to be considered as a alternative to the esb prices. Same €0.385 is charged for AC chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Good News / Bad News day for me.

• Good News - my Tour 5 ordered in early Sept will receive the new Spec (may be of interest to those who ordered later and are still waiting).
    • Bad News - my build week has changed from BW50 to, "we'll know more in Jan"

As long as the delay is not too much I'll be happy out with the new spec (updated interior material, and it seems with Park Assist and Park memory)

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Hi I haven’t noticed poor signal but I’ve noticed since yesterday I no longer have connection to my car via the app. The app seems stuck on a day, probably last Friday where it says my range and charge percentage are completely different to what the car is saying and won’t remotely charge or pre heat !

The car still says it has a 4G signal but I tried the we charge app on the infotainment and that says there is a connection error. Not completely the same as what you asked in your post but my first major issue with the car since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Have you updated the app? There were some recent releases to both Andriod and iOS versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I had an issue with the App recently and I resolved it by logging out and then back in again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What's so bad about kWh/100km it's the easiest way to compare two different journeys that are likely to be different distances. Its saves you the step of I travelled x km and used y kWh, therefore todays usage was x/y kWh/km.

Or in a simpler manner, on my journey, the kWh/100km number is higher therefore I will have less range. If you only showed me kWh used, I'd constantly have to divide it by distance travelled to see if I was doing better or worse than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Added good news is that your getting a better spec’d car with a 2022 plate for €2,577 less than what it would cost you to buy it in January -

I ordered mid August but have heard nothing, mind you, I haven’t enquired either. We could definitely do with the park assist at home here so if it’s delayed we might get the extras.

Advertisement