Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I can see your point, especially for anyone who needs to take on a lot of kWh on very long trips.

However for me (And surely for you with your monster battery😁) the most I will probably need extra in a day is about 20kWh, and I don't really care if that takes 18 minutes or 22 minutes. The days for me filling up at Ionity are over (Now that the freebee is finished). Will keep using them, but only what I need. The Zappi will get a bit more use..😊

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

got the EO mini pro2 installed last October. I don't think you will get a charger for the Grant price, unless you can buy trade.

Mine was on average 700 to 900 euro if purchased on it's own...then employ a registered Electrician, pushed the quotes way over.

So ended up costing 1100.00 fully fitted and supplied..Untethered.......Thetered is 200 extra...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A question re saving charge points in the charging section.

I had a few in there, all gone now.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

I have tethered wallbox mounted in garage. Just plug and play. Bought last january and cost 500 euro after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Hm, the range in warm current weather although only on short enough trips in hilly cork is not impressive. Drove 96km an used 54% of SOC. So the theoretical range is under 200km. And this is w/o any apparent battery heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

iirc, you’ve always had poor range?

The figures you’ve given there gives 30+kWh/100km, which is way off expectations.

Look at my fugues above where I’m at 120km/h against the wind in the rain and it’s a lot less than your getting so somethings up with your car.

unless those 96km’s were 10 trips of 10km each and so lots of cabin heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Tbh, my maths failed me this time. 80-36 is 44% and not 54% (facepalm!). Yes, 98 km I drove over last 3 days were mainly made up of 4-5km although some were 10+km, with heating at 19C and occacional some preheating. The recalculated range estimate is 220km. The consumption reported by the car is 18.1kWh/100km which again doesn't add up. Always moaned about the battery degradation and strange results after back calculations of battery capacity.

Never trusted any VW onboard computer anyway:)

Remaining range w/o heating is 145km, 127 with heating to 19C.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

over last 3 days were mainly made up of 4-5km although some were 10+km, with heating at 19C and occacional some preheating.

you can’t really say that’s the range of the car though when it includes a lot of cabin heating and even pre-heating.

in theory you could preheat the car every morning and just do 5km’s and then say it’s range is even less than 200km. Surely range should be measured based on how far the car can go in one or two journeys, not 10+?

Indeed, having the larger battery is really great, being able to drive from Dublin to Carlow to Galway and still have 37% in Winter is really great !

But, in reality, for a modern EV VW should have been more aware about the issues of cold batter charging issues and not making it pre heat the battery off the mains at least was a ludicrous decision, + the charging curve is bad for a modern EV especially plugging in over 30%, But, I get it though, they're new to electrics and we're VW's early adaptors and I'm sure they will work on this in the years to come, unfortunately I feel will take Gen II to actually solve some issues like this but, it's not just VW Electrics that suffer in the cold or have poor charging curves.

That's my only real complaint though because the id.3 is fantastic in every other way, great to drive, comfortable and the 77 Kwh offers plenty of range and as a result fast charging won't be frequent. Just hope the battery holds up as good as the BMW i3 94 Ah which was unbelievably impressive !

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Lads. Best wishes to you all. This page is such a great resource. Charge from an ESB 50 kWh DC today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

What exactly are the specs of the type 2 cable that comes with the car? Am I right to assume that you can use it with any public charger?

Most of the early 1st models came with a 16A 3 phase cable, so will take the full 11kW plus from a public AC charge point (Most are 3 phase). I think the later models came with a 32A 3 Phase cable, so you will be able to take approx 7kW from a single phase (Usually home) charge point plus the full 11kW from public charge points. The supplied cable on my 1st will only take half that on a normal single phase home charger, however many (Incl ours) are tethered with a 32A single phase cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The cables that are listed with current models are:

Charging cable, mode 2, type 2 / G (10A)

Charging cable mode 3 type 2, 32 A

58 Kwh I assume ?

Lots of short trips and preheating while not plugged in is hard enough on range, noticed this with the i3 and of course the Leaf + don't forget battery heating is only done from the battery too which will use even more and whether the battery heater kicks in multiple times in a day with short trips depends how frequently it gets below 12/13 Deg C.

A colder batter also has less ability to store max Kwh which also needs to be taken into account.

If you have a home charge point that tells you the amount of Kwh used then run the battery to empty, basically until it can't drive any more and then charge it and see the Kwh reported by your charge point ( make sure no pre heating is set ) then subtract around 10% due to the fact charging is around 90% efficient and ideally the battery temp should be around 20 Deg C but a good way to monitor battery degradation is to do this at the same conditions, ie, Winter/Summer. and repeat Winter/Summer much the same conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Trip today. Mix of 120, 100, 80 and cross city. 8 to 10 degrees weather

I discovered a bug, well for 2nd time forgot about the first. others may have noticed it.

When you activate the heat via the app and drive for under 30 mins and get out and lock the car the heat stays on until the 30 mins are up so you have to turn it off again via the app

I could be a case that this is causing a lot of range loss for people if they frequently preheat via the app.

2nd bug

If you turn the climate control off in the car and want to preheat via the app it will fail. So if preheating via the app fails try see if climate control is turned off in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Collecting the car next week. Any recommendations on accessories I should pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Is anyone else experiencing 4G connection problems?

My car stopped connecting on Christmas day and it hasn't come back. After starting the car, my screen displays a spinning logo for a minute as it tries to connect, then this message:

No screen functions are available until the above message appears. After that it works as normal but no 4G connection bars. The app shows connection as 'just now' but the charge and range info is old. Is there a tech support contact for these issues?

Thanks!

Get them to throw in the rubber all weather mats and a boot liner if you can, especially if you have kids or pets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s happened here a few times. Usually an app or phone update sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Or pull the fuse for the telematics,no 19 from memory.....

I think has only happened twice with me, apart from the few times the app/network was down. Once came back after turning off/on in settings, the other time pulled fuse.

That worked, thanks! I left it for about 10 minutes with the fuse out and it was back after I started next time.

Left house late this morning with Gom showing 148km, travelled 43 km and Gom now showing 119km. So you can gain a bit when the temp raises since your last trip. Temp was 12C in strong sunshine so almost no heater draw. Normally you notice when you loose kms, but it works both ways..

I found out the answer to my question, remember I was wondering what happened the 6% or was it ? too lazy to go back if someone wants to do the honours lol anyway, found via EV notify that at 24% remaining displayed on the car translates to 30% actual just as I suspected. And anything beyond this is a mystery. So if it was 6% my calculations were spot on lol.

Would be nice to know the actual Kwh taken from the battery via the EV notify app like in Leafspy!

Haha, I did use the heater, but not as high as some would.. Was warm.. Couldn't believe how strong the sun was for end of December.

Proof, well sort of..😋

lol yeah 17.5 Deg, proof the heater was idle 🙄 😆 13.5 is good never saw this before then most of my commute is motorway and I rarely drive below 120 sometimes 130. But even on slower roads haven't managed below about 17 max.

Today driving home from Grangecastle gunned it 120 all the way once I hit the N7 got home 21.5 Kwh/100 Km which I thought was good with the heater actually on at 23 deg 😅

• Advertisement

I would pass out at 23C😊. If I am at 18.5 or so I am happy. Same every car I have had. Turned it down lower today, sun was strong. Today problem was Christmas Day floods, never seen so much water on low lying areas around Kilmore Quay, miles of land under water. Roads drivable again (Only just in places.)

Advertisement