Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

liamog wrote: »
    Closing for Review
    Mod Note: Re-opened, let's all keep it civil and avoid the repetitive criticism which is not adding any value

Can we still tell Leaf jokes?

Seriously though, This might give Elon a headache, 24k for the mid-range ID3 in Germany.
    https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/germany-increases-ev-incentives-stimulate-demand
    I wonder will VW add in anything extra here on top of what FG are offering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Can we still tell Leaf jokes?

Seriously though, This might give Elon a headache, 24k for the mid-range ID3 in Germany.
    https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/germany-increases-ev-incentives-stimulate-demand
    I wonder will VW add in anything extra here on top of what FG are offering?

Don't think he's as worried now

Demand has been lacklustre in Germany, don't think that's a problem here

From a pure marketing point I think VW have made a mistake myself

Calling it an ID and having that outrageous interior, don't know why they went down that geek direction

Golf is iconic, a brand in itself

Seems crazy to just drop it

In 2025 what are they going to do with Golf brand when know one wants an Ice?

Let it die a slow death?

Same with polo,paasat.etc?

Look lads, as I said here more than a few times, I was highly critical of the i3 for a long time, I test drove it and bought it !

The ID.3 will be a highly successful EV for VW.

I'll "for once" reserve judgement until I sit in and drive it.

Give the car a chance !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This might give Elon a headache, 24k for the mid-range ID3 in Germany.

You obviously don't understand Elon's motivation ;)

Good day again for the Porsche share though. You intending to keep yours for the long run or are you considering taking the (substantial) profit?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved the OT PHEV/BEV/Battery Recycling discussion to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993444&page=41

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Video of the production line

Anybody got anymore news on the planned car being in Ireland on the 19th/20th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

it says on the email i got that they will contact you again closer to the date.

no email yet (08-Nov-19)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

The Irish Independent journalist said this in an article on the 6th November:
    I'm looking forward to an enlightening few sessions about the new electric Volkswagen ID.3 mid-month at Weston aerodrome, where the importers will have a model on display.

I'm guessing Weston aerodrome just for the press.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/volkswagen-lines-up-electric-id-3-for-irish-workshop-38663829.html

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

email just now..
    As a valued Pre-Booker, we are pleased to invite you to one of our exclusive ID.3 1st Reveal Events hosted by Volkswagen Ireland, this November 19th & 20th.

For these two days, we will transform Hangar 1, Weston Airport in County Dublin, into a unique Volkswagen e-mobility setting, giving you the opportunity to experience the ID.3 1st up close and personal. Aside from being able to discover the ID.3 1st interior and exterior, there will also be some short insight sessions on relevant topics such as Charging, ID.3 1st Features, ID.Plan Finance and Pre-Booker Next Steps. Please note this will be a display model only.

We invite you to RSVP to one of the below sessions for you and a guest of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

coward wrote: »
    email just now..

Same here. Shame they couldn't do it over weekend.
    Hope they will say something about prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

coward wrote: »
    email just now..

I have my ticket. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I dont understand the need for the name change.
    Or the sunsetting of the Golf brand at all tbh.

ELM327 wrote: »

The golf is going more premium, wouldn't worry about it disappearing.

Got the mail, I'm going to go to the Tuesday 2pm session.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

The golf is going more premium, wouldn't worry about it disappearing.

I am wonder this...,
    If the golf is going more premium and the ID3. is the“affordable car for the masses” at under €30k

What will the future value of the ”ID3. First edition” be in 3-5 years time? Will it be devalued based on the majority of “affordable“ 30k ID3. cars on the road.i doubt anyone will see the value of the car being a first edition in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Booked Wednesday 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Got the mail, I'm going to go to the Tuesday 2pm session.

Me too... see ya there!

I am wonder this...,
    If the golf is going more premium and the ID3. is the“affordable car for the masses” at under €30k

What will the future value of the ”ID3. First edition” be in 3-5 years time? Will it be devalued based on the majority of “affordable“ 30k ID3. cars on the road.i doubt anyone will see the value of the car being a first edition in a few years time.

30k id3?, going by that article the other day the small battery id3 will be 20k.
    The first edition is looking very expensive. I don't think it's going to have a cult following to make the 1st worth the premium.

I really don't know, if you were going to drop 40k+ on a Volkswagen hatchback would you really pick the ID over the MK8 Golf GTE, GTI and R which will all appear next year as well.

This BIK incentive is really mudding the waters. If they ever pull the plug on it car choices could change swiftly. There wouldn't be much up take from company buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

30k id3?, going by that article the other day the small battery id3 will be 20k.

What article?

The increased German govt grant? If its that, it doesnt suggest it will be €20k at all.

The entry level model car is <€30k in Germany before incentives. They've increased the incentive in Germany from €4k to €6k so now it should be <€24k there.

Thats not going to change the price here, as our grant is not changing, so unless VW are going to do a price drop before its even on sale its still a €28k+ car here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ELM327 wrote: »

The Golf will continue for the next few years so they want to keep both brands, according to VW long term if the combustion engine dies it will bring the Golf name with it

Yes it’s a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

KCross wrote: »
    What article?

The increased German govt grant? If its that, it doesnt suggest it will be €20k at all.

The entry level model car is <€30k in Germany before incentives. They've increased the incentive in Germany from €4k to €6k so now it should be <€24k there.

Thats not going to change the price here, as our grant is not changing , so unless VW are going to do a price drop before its even on sale its still a €28k+ car here.
    Unless Irish Gov come with a surprise move drop VAT for EVs as Norway instead of the stupid "grant". That would be the only way to hit the silly target of 1M EVs by 2030.

But probably unlikely...

I don't think they could have won either way.
    With the new fully electric platform, the only way they could have continued the Golf name was to do either two completely separate models or stop producing the ICE versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

got the email, but a bit too far away for me on a weekday (Cork)

If i was 100% positive of purchase i would make the effort to travel.
    just have to wait until my local nominated dealer has one.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Golf will continue for the next few years so they want to keep both brands, according to VW long term if the combustion engine dies it will bring the Golf name with it

Yes it’s a shame

I really don't get why everyone in the EV threads are writing off the golf it's just bizzare. VW have shifted their fully electric models under the one brand ID. That's all that's happened. Nothing has been written off.
    In 10yrs time electric still won't be suitable for a lot of the world. The golf will still be in production, Sharon Stone will still be hot, Don Jnr will be gearing up to run for his second term as president and Pascal Donohue's climate action fund will have saved the world.

Looking at what's coming from VW and especially the Golf, Hybrid seems to be what there really betting on next.
    Even in 2030 if Leo's promise to have 1million electric cars on the road comes through we'll still have another 1million plus ICE cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Damn, I should have held onto my reservation for another few weeks. Wouldn't have minded a little close up look. And Weston is just around the corner from me.
    In 10yrs time electric still won't be suitable for a lot of the world. The golf will still be in production, Sharon Stone will still be hot

Sharon Stone will be 72 in early 2030. But yeah you'll probably be right there :p

Not so much the first part of your sentence :pac:

You can use my ticket I doubt I'll make it up times don't suit...

Just noticed there all +1 tickets...

Please note this event is only open to Volkswagen ID.3 1st Pre-Bookers (plus 1 guest) who have successfully placed a reservation fee online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I really don't get why everyone in the EV threads are writing off the golf it's just bizzare. VW have shifted their fully electric models under the one brand ID. That's all that's happened. Nothing has been written off.
    In 10yrs time electric still won't be suitable for a lot of the world. The golf will still be in production, Sharon Stone will still be hot, Don Jnr will be gearing up to run for his second term as president and Pascal Donohue's climate action fund will have saved the world.

Looking at what's coming from VW and especially the Golf, Hybrid seems to be what there really betting on next.
    Even in 2030 if Leo's promise to have 1million electric cars on the road comes through we'll still have another 1million plus ICE cars on the road.

Hence why I said if the combustion engine dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hence why I said if the combustion engine dies

When it dies

Golf is finished

Thats obvious, even to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Almost nobody will want an ICE when a BEV is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster and better to drive.

Look at the pace of development...

According to a study published in February 2016 by Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF), battery prices fell 65% since 2010, and 35% just in 2015, reaching US$350 per kWh. The study concludes that battery costs are on a trajectory to make electric vehicles without government subsidies as affordable as internal combustion engine cars in most countries by 2022. BNEF projects that by 2040, long-range electric cars will cost less than US$22,000 expressed in 2016 dollars. BNEF expects electric car battery costs to be well below US$120 per kWh by 2030

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_battery#Battery_cost

Sep 2019
    Executives at Volkswagen, which last year edged out Toyota as the world’s largest carmaker, have hinted that economies of scale have allowed them to push the cost of batteries in the ID.3 below $100 per kilowatt hour. That price is considered the point at which electric cars become more affordable than internal combustion models. Analysts had not expected costs to fall that far for several more years.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/business/volkswagen-trademark-electric-vehicles.html

Advertisement