Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

On the ID3, looking at my back tyres, I think I’m really close to the legal minimums now. I’ve only got 21k on them, so not impressed. It’s the continental tyres. I’ve heard issues with Bridgestone ones as well.

Anyone with the 1st plus have to change them so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Comer1

Changed my Bridgestones on the back at less than19,000km. Car bought last July

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mine are the GoodYears. About 26K, good bit of wear on the back. Might get 30K, but car is heavy and a lot of power to rear wheels. Must measure the thread when get a chance, but do have service package that will replace..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 wear pretty well if you can get them. Expensive but might work out better value in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Nobody interested in a set of alloys before I toss them up on donedeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Post edited by Liam2021 on

Slight damage on 2 wheels due to bad packaging on delivery.

€675 new, selling for €400 ONO.

More info here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057599743/for-sale-wanted-cars-parts-etc/p48

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nice to see the kW charging speed now on Apple app, also the new widget is handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

with the talk about tyres , is it worth switching front to back back at some mileage 12-15K?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It’s not a case of “worth it”.

rotating just means you’ll be changing 4 tyres together instead of 2 at a time. It’ll cost you the same in tyres overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I rotated tyres at 10k and now at 20k should do it again. Have ab 5 mom on all tyres at the moment.The only only problem is that I have to pay €20 a local tyre fitter to swap them as there no spare tyre or jack supplied with the car. I have a jack from my golf rated to 1.1t and I could buy 2x 2t stands from Lidl for ab €15 but I think it’s not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It depends on the differential wear between the drive pair and the rolling pair

On my leaf, FWD, I switched them at some point to have better tyres for driving/ steering: I have two of originals at back with 70,000 kms

On the VW, higher wear on rear, especially with the ACC and you need good front tyres for steering, so switching more worn ones to the front.... maybe not

[won't see 70,000 kms on any of the VWs.]

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I drove from Athlone to Cork to Dublin in one day.

Left Athlone on the Saturday morning with full battery so was able to get to Cork to play golf, then I stopped in Cashel for my first charge. I stopped again in J14 for food and got enough charge to get to Dublin, drive around Wicklow the following day and then quick 10 mins on the Monday to get home with plenty to spare. Only stopped twice on the way to Dublin as i was getting tired - was a long long day!!

Edit - 58kW Battery!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

16k up on mine,continentals,still heaps left easily pass 20k by a good margin.

This will be the first time I've even managed that kinda mileage....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

My car is telling me I need to get a service at 15k kilometres (I’m at 13.5 atm). Should I listen to it?

I looked into the VW service plans and they seem to have changed a bit. You only get 2 tyres now in the top tier now, not a full set which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Thanks for posting that. When I signed up for it with the dealer, they said it was 4 tyres. Now I see in the paperwork, it's 2 tyres and they didn't bother to mention the difference. It is not worth the price if it is only 2 tyres. The Bridgestones sell for €130 each. How is €648 a reasonable price for this?

Now I have to go plead my case.

Any idea when the change was made?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Hi

My id4 has also looked for the service at 15k, my id3 is at 23k and has not looked for the service. I contacted the garage about this and I am still waiting for a reply as the service manager could not answer the question. The service plan states its every 2 years unlimited milage. It also states on the paper work fir the top tier you get 4 tyres so if you have paperwork to say 4 tyres they will have to honour it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I've now looked it up.

Service alone: €300

Service with front brake pads: €504

Service with front brake pads and 2 tyres: €648

So better value than I thought but not as good value as I thought I was getting. I'm curious as to when the change was made because I ordered the car in July and, in November was told that they'd honour all the agreed terms if I pushed delivery back until January.

I'll check in with my dealer on Monday. I was also told 4 tyres, and the brochure I was sent in June when they were doing the paperwork said 4.

I collected in August and at that stage they said that the pricing had changed, rather than €648 for the L package, it was €300 added to the OTR costs, but then €350 to upgrade to the full package. No mention of a change in the tyre situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've continentals on mine. Coming up to 30k. seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Signed up to the L service plan in December and I'm sure it was 4 tyres then.

Looking at the paperwork it doesn't specify number of tyres, I wonder did it change in 22 as it does say 221 service plan.

There will be some strong words if it comes to a service and only two tyres are included.

Must check and rotate them to make sure they will all be worn.

Found this screengrab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

At the risk of sounding more stupid than usual, what does the service plan actually cover? As in how many services? Is it just one service after two years?

I’ll have clocked up 15k km within 9 months of ownership. At that rate I’d need 4 services over a 3 year period, which seems crazy for an EV.

I must check my PCP contract to see what my obligations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Same as that THE ALM. The only reason I went with the the €648 was the 4 tyres (which I was told would be like for like) and the brakes pads / wipers which made it appear to be good value. I will be checking in with my dealer after a look through my paperwork. By any chance do you have a date on the screen grab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Unfortunately only showing todays date @Bif . Was definitely four tyres, wouldn't have taken it out otherwise, be some arguing if they try to say otherwise 😂

It was 4 tyres in 2021. Seems to have changed in 2022 to only 2 tyres. It was set to 2 tyres on the 7 Jan anyway, not sure exactly when they changed it. See here

NOTE: It does also include one service (which includes brake fluid change) and wipers and brake pads (if required).

Whatever the T&C's said when you paid for the service plan is what you'll get. If the salesman said 4 but the T&C's said 2 then you'll have a bit of arguing to do. @Sam the Sham, it looks like you fell between two stools in that the salesman told you the right thing at the time but since you pushed the delivery out to 2022 you've possibly lost the two tyres. Worth arguing your case there I suppose. 2 tyres is worth €400+ to you.

Not sure the dealer will be willing to take the hit, but maybe they will as goodwill. Note, the service plan is actually managed by VWFS, not the dealer.

When I got my 4 tyres from the service plan they tried to charge me €900+ for them (Goodyears). Glad I had the service plan!

Post edited by KCross on

My car is telling me I need to get a service at 15k kilometres (I’m at 13.5 atm). Should I listen to it?

Its clearly stated as a 2yr unlimited mileage service interval. I'd ignore it. The dealer must have set it wrong. Mechanic proabably just entered standard interval that he is used to doing for ICE cars or something.

• Advertisement

One service at the 2yr mark which is all the car needs anyway in terms of servicing. Its not mileage based, its time based.

If you need to get tyres or wipers in advance you are allowed book the car in in advance of the 2yrs to get those items done but you wont get another set of wipers at the 2yr mark then.... the plan is specific about what you get..... one service, tyres (only 2 now), brake fluid change, pollen filter, brake pads (if required). Only one of each of those things is what you'll get.

Advertisement