Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

I purchased a 24V nominal battery pack through Alibaba last week for fixing up a broken folding eBike I got cheap (that just needed a new battery). The pack is 29.4V 6Ah and cost €25 including all taxes and delivery to my door.

That is less than €142 per kWh and these are complete packs with charging cable, discharge cable and built-in BMS :eek:

I couldn't believe how cheap it was, so I ordered a bunch more for use with my projects.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This is interesting https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/lueneburg_heide_unterelbe/Erste-Ultra-Schnellladestationen-an-der-A7,ladestation122.html

Car is charging with 409V at 15% battery. They must be using quite a high voltage battery pack. That bodes well for using the ID.3 on our current 50kW, they should be able to take the full 50kW from a low state of charge without hitting the max current limit of the Efacec chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

liamog wrote: »
    This is interesting https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/lueneburg_heide_unterelbe/Erste-Ultra-Schnellladestationen-an-der-A7,ladestation122.html

Car is charging with 409V at 15% battery. They must be using quite a high voltage battery pack. That bodes well for using the ID.3 on our current 50kW, they should be able to take the full 50kW from a low state of charge without hitting the max current limit of the Efacec chargers.

Might mean it can maintain better speed up at higher SOC too right??????.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Old diesel wrote: »
    Might mean it can maintain better speed up at higher SOC too right??????.

Doesn't really give any insight, however, based on the decision Audi made with the e-Tron, I'm hopeful that the VW engineers have implemented a good charging curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

There's another 2 Showcase events on Thursday 20th November at 2pm and 6pm. It's not restricted to Pre-bookers so, I have 2 tickets for the 2pm event if anyone wants them. Send me an email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Got an invite to the big reveal today, dont have a reservation but did sign up for the newsletter, given that they are extending the invites out to newsletter subscribers they mustn’t have gotten a lot of interest. Be interesting to know how many irish punters actually put money down on a 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Got an invite to the big reveal today, dont have a reservation but did sign up for the newsletter, given that they are extending the invites out to newsletter subscribers they mustn’t have gotten a lot of interest. Be interesting to know how many irish punters actually put money down on a 1st
    I had my deposit down from the first day reservation opened. Cancelled my order last week and bought a Hyundai Ioniq instead. I know 3 other people who have cancelled orders.

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    I had my deposit down from the first day reservation opened. Cancelled my order last week and bought a Hyundai Ioniq instead. I know 3 other people who have cancelled orders.

Cancelled id.3 for Ioniq, why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

What’s the main reason for cancelling?
    Cost ...specifications..... styling????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,166 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Still have deposit down but I'm really thinking the 1st edition is way over priced. Long range battery, power boost and beats audio would do me as an upgrade to the entry model standard car.
    Will we have pricing on the standard models before the point of no return on purchasing the 1st edition.

• Advertisement

Cancelled id.3 for Ioniq, why ?

I know it will be a great car and maybe in a few years I'll pick one up.

For a mid spec one it will be 40k after grants and the dealer said it might be September next year before we see deliveries here.
    So I picked up a 191 Ioniq last week for 26k got 5k for my trade in and added 21k cash. The range of the Ioniq will cover 95% of my driving.

Still have deposit down but I'm really thinking the 1st edition is way over priced. Long range battery, power boost and beats audio would do me as an upgrade to the entry model standard car.
    Will we have pricing on the standard models before the point of no return on purchasing the 1st edition.

I still have deposit down also. Seems to me we are getting screwed on the 1st edition price.

I still have deposit down also. Seems to me we are getting screwed on the 1st edition price.

This was also a concern of mine. If you pay close to 40k or more for one. Once the cheap version is available to order would people be willing to pay the extra for the first edition.

I know it will be a great car and maybe in a few years I'll pick one up.

For a mid spec one it will be 40k after grants and the dealer said it might be September next year before we see deliveries here.
    So I picked up a 191 Ioniq last week for 26k got 5k for my trade in and added 21k cash. The range of the Ioniq will cover 95% of my driving.

Fair enough, can't argue with that, best of luck with the Ioniq, good car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,166 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea "but it's a special edition" will wash with the car salesman come trade in time.
    I don't think it'll be worth more than a standard long range which could mean crazy depreciation in the space of 6mts.

Yea "but it's a special edition" will wash with the car salesman come trade in time.
    I don't think it'll be worth more than a standard long range which could mean crazy depreciation in the space of 6mts.

Exactly my fear. Especially if you opt for PCP.
    In 3 years time if you want to trade up you may end up in negative equity with the 1st edition.

Exactly my fear. Especially if you opt for PCP.
    In 3 years time if you want to trade up you may end up in negative equity with the 1st edition.

That's the point with PCP, if the value drops more than the GFMV you get to hop into another car and let the finance company take the hit, worst cast is that you don't have a deposit going forward but you should not get PCP based on having any deposit at the end.

Worse case is being on HP or having a bank loan, then you have to take the brunt of depreciation, on PCP you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Worse case is being on HP or having a bank loan, then you have to take the brunt of depreciation, on PCP you don't.

Haha, yes you do ;)

Do you think PCP magics away the depreciation? It's just called a few different names. In most cases you pay the full depreciation and then some. And you're hooked up to go for finance again at the end of it. Who ever invented it is the best con man of all time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

That’s the biggest fear, to do it right the 1st should be guaranteed to be a lower cost than the equivalent standard car once launched, that way you reward people who took a punt and enabled the manufacturer to get a new model off to a good start, 99.99% of people won’t care for the play and pause pedals anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

40k id3 first should be worth more after 3 years then 40k kona or Nissan leaf....

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Haha, yes you do ;)

Do you think PCP magics away the depreciation? It's just called a few different names.

On PCP you pay the calculated depreciation + interest for the 3 years, you get a GFMV, anything above that you can call a deposit, if it's value is well below that then the finance company, not you , take the sting.

If you are paying HP or bank loan you take the sting, worst cast on PCP is that you do not get anything above the GFMV.

PCP can be calculated in different ways, for instance, I think it was when Leaf II came along that the PCP GFMV was ridiculously low which would have guaranteed you a deposit because the GFMV was around 5,000 Euro's but it meant that the monthly payments were far higher than what I would have paid on the 24 Kwh so Nissan calculated PCP devaluation so low that they could not loose and in this case there was not much incentive to go with PCP.

You get nothing for nothing so if you have a decent deposit at the end it probably means you will have just paid for it anyway through clever calculation of the value of the car and higher monthly payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

kris_2021 wrote: »
    40k id3 first should be worth more after 3 years then 40k kona or Nissan leaf....

Well that’s just complete and utter BS ... where did you come up with that nugget of information. Stupid talk

Irishjg wrote: »
    Well that’s just complete and utter BS ... where did you come up with that nugget of information. Stupid talk

That is simple logic my friend

Expect close to 50% depreciation after 3 years anything less is a bonus

That is simple logic my friend

Why ... just because it has a VW badge ? The 40K ID won’t have anything more than either of those cars. No heat pump and DC ROC max 50kWh. It will have RWD if you think that will push the resale value over other 40k BEVs but there’s absolutely no way anyone can predict that until the time comes.

Just like most ice cars ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1
    It’s what you should budget for any mainstream car out there.

Why ... just because it has a VW badge ? The 40K ID won’t have anything more than either of those cars. No heat pump and DC ROC max 50kWh. It will have RWD if you think that will push the resale value over other 40k BEVs but there’s absolutely no way anyone can predict that until the time comes.
    Yep because it is vw but also it will be the only proper ev from these 3 cars.

Just like most ice cars ...

Yeah exactly. Especially in 3 years time when there should be more choice and availability of evs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Only if you keep doing PCP practically forever. You'll get the depreciation once you stop. Not sure how many people can afford burning money continuously for a long time like this.

Advertisement