Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

More bad news (though minor in the current context):

Volkswagen will suspend production at two factories in eastern Germany that make electric vehicles because fighting has interrupted deliveries of critical parts from western Ukraine, the company said Friday.

The temporary shutdowns illustrate how war in Ukraine could have unpredictable effects on the global economy, adding to supply chain turmoil that has fueled inflation. Volkswagen and other automakers have been plagued for the last two years by shortages of semiconductors and other components caused by the pandemic and its economic side effects.

[…]

Volkswagen said it would shut down assembly lines in Zwickau, which has a capacity of more than 300,000 vehicles a year, from Tuesday through Friday. The Dresden plant, a showcase factory in the city’s downtown, will stop production Wednesday through Friday.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/25/business/stock-market-economy-news?fbclid=IwAR3wlfLzGDBAGvwFKz-VVw9En5M_gcS4CjPw0uB2_TvQqFv9OCu314X-XuY#volkswagen-supply-chain-ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 11 backbones

Yeah I'm expecting my Tour to be delayed well into the second half of the year now. I imagine there will also be a massive impact from the sanctions against Russia. Not that I mind that, if there's even a chance it could help end the war sooner, bring on them sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Got small update yesterday. Bug fixes plus qr enrollment Anybody else get one. Stand tall UKRAINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Frist long trip in my ID3 coming up, I have it charged to 80% (fine for this trip), is there anything I can/should do pre departure? Can you pre heat the battery while plugged in ? I know about turning on the AC via the app that's about it. I had 316km range during the day, now I see its down to 303km - is it sensing the temperature?)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Will 80% get you there and back? If not charge it up to 100%, it will more than likely cost less to charge at home than on the road.

• Advertisement

Ya, it's a 200k round trip, car says 303k so I'm not really worried. Just wanted to know best practice.

Is there a way to pre heat the battery while plugged at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Tomorrow morning looks to be a frosty morning so will help if you pre heat cabin while plugged in, then turn down heater a bit, turn on heated seats and wheel and enjoy.. I would also charge to 90 or 100 %

The battery will not preheat while plugged in. 3.0 software update will solve that problem. Pre heating car unplugged will heat battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Absolutely no reason not to charge to 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Long trips = charge to 100%. crazy not to.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

Just reporting back on my experience, so my 'long trip' was (200k in total, 100 each way). I had the car at 80% from the previous day and the car reported 303km.

With the car not plugged in, asked it to pre heat to 20, and seat warmer at 2/3 - range was now 286km before even starting, anways drove off, temp was -1,-1.5 most of the way, the range seemed to really take a hit early in journey, after 100Km (about 70K of motorway) arrived at destination with 144km. I had charging there so took it, got back to 80% in 1hr50min.

Return journey, temp was now 8-10C, range was much more steady, arrived home at 49% or 185km.

Was kinda worried about going to 100% since it says it not ideal for the battery and Im just after getting it and would like 3 years of good battery at least. This is going to be a semi regular journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know for long term battery health charging to 80% is recommended but what about going below 20%? If it's occasional would it be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

lads, you need to relax and enjoy the car otherwise you're really getting no value from it at all.

charging to 100% and driving off will cause no damage at all. driving it and going below 20% will cause no damage at all.

leaving the car at 100% or <20% for weeks on end might not be ideal for the long term health of the battery. there's also a buffer anyway - your 58kwh battery is actually larger than that, an added safety feature.

again, if you're going anywhere then charge to 100%. preferably the night/morning before you go.

Not an issue if you plug in at journeys end. Charging to 100% just before heading off does no harm at all.

I know the 58kWh is actually 64kWh or whatever, but if that's the case and charging to 100% is fine as it's technically 80% or whatever then why do they have the option?

I think modern smartphones are the same, 100% isn't actually 100% to preserve the lifespan of the battery. I'm just wondering as my next car will be long term so want to ensure a healthy battery.

I fitted a set of door handle covers from plugear.com today.

They're matt black which might blend in a bit too much for some but I prefer them to the finger-print magnets they cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Nice, I've been waiting ages for them to come out.

Where did you get them and how much if you don't mind me asking? Do they sit nice and flush?

I got them frome here https://www.plugear.com/product/vw-id-3-id-4-uk-rhd-right-hand-drive-interior-door-handle-cover-set/

€79 for set of four - I was looking for cheaper options but couldn't find RHD versions anywhere else.

The fit is good with some care and hard to spot. I can feel a slight edge along the inside top but not that noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was only looking at the website last night and couldn't see them. I was looking at the alcantara ones though.

• Advertisement

A grand total of 27 ID3's registered in February this year. Bringing the total registered this year to 96. Compared to this time last year, we're 70% down on the number of ID3's registered so far.

yup, I hardly see any 221's about.

ID4's seem to be everywhere! well 211's at least

I was originally looking for Alacantra too but happy with how the matt black looks.

When I emailed them last Nov/ Dec they expected to have stock (of alacantra) within 4-5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try ordering one ;). You’ll see why there’s so few.

And those numbers were before the Zwickau factory got brought to just one day per week production...

Don't have high hopes for my Cupra Born order, not even concerned about it not making the July/August date but whether I'll even get one at all. Wouldn't surprise me if they just cut their numbers even though they're getting feck all already, plus Ireland is only getting them in July/August when other countries got them in January so I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed resources to VW builds.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

I have one on order at the moment, ordered in September 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Anyone heard any rumblings as to when V3.0 will be released (and if it is OTA) - the last i heard was march 22 (which is now)? i'm on 2.3 at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Not definite but supposed to be in Q2 and will require a dealer visit if you have an “early” ID.3. I think you have a 1st edition so defo a dealer visit will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Yep - think we're both 1st customers - lovely thanks.. think i read that we may need components changed which worries me a little as i don't know what obligations VW have to continue to support the early purchasers of the ID3 if its only to support their new software upgrades (i.e. the components don't have any defects so not covered under warranty)..

• Advertisement

Recall coming shortly. Then 3.0 ota. May even be 3.1 according to ID.3 german forum.

Advertisement