Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I believe the only component that will need physical changing is your 12V battery. They will swap that out for a better one. Presumably some people have been having problems (I havent) so they are swapping all of them, I think.

Nothing else will be replaced. The main reason you need to go in is that some additional ECU's need to be manually updated to enable OTA on those (the BMS ECU being one). When OTA is enabled on that you can then receive 3.x and it will unlock the extra charging speed and the changes to the battery heating etc. But they wont be ripping out any hardware. Its just all software updates.

Hopefully this 3.x update is the last visit to the dealer and it should all be OTA from there.... but we have heard that before too, so who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Im finding the range GOM very hard to make friends with, its 177km when I park, then 3 hrs later when I start it's 160, then up then down etc. Is it the inital blast of AC that makes it recalculate?

Do others here 'trust' it enough to base a trip on it?

The id3 is in to get the headlight replaced and I got a 1.2 3 cylinder polo !!!😶 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

3 cylinder petrol engines must be the worst invention ever..😋

Yep, so rough and sounds sick.

Supposed to be a frost tonight so ill probably have to defrost the car for the first time since 2015, but I'll also have to get into a cold car 😮 for the first time in a long time, probably since I took the Outlander out on a cold ,morning, a long time ago.....😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I consider myself an OK driver, but still managed to stall the two most recent 3 cylinder petrols I drove from cold. And you have to rev like hell if starting on a hill...😯

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

My sister is looking to get rid of her 2020 golf which she uses in rotation with my dad’s ID3, the Dublin dealer she uses told her they have 15 coming in this calendar year & are expected in July/August which to you and me means December if they’re lucky and as said below your post that was before the latest factory shut down news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Drove the 1.2 3 Cylinder polo up to North West Business Park in Ballycoolin Blanchardstown and got 6 L/100 Km, roads were pretty clear at that hour compared to just 1 hr later would be absolute grid lock, anyway, the lack of power was frustrating at times not to mention having to change gears, but lucky the traffic was light, if I had to leave 1 hr later I'd have been constantly on the clutch swapping cogs...... That 3 cylinder engine is rough under load, shocking they go with 3 cylinders but I suppose that engine is not really designed for long distance motorway driving, though I'm sure there are many who do take suck trips with this engine. Decent car for town driving and urban runs though or if you're one of those who drive at 80 Km/Hr on the motorway holding everyone else up.

Anyway the worst part

6 L/100 Km = 47.08 Imp MPG =16.66 Km/L

I would need on average 51.020 litres x 1.88 costing around 95 Euro's per week. Ouch, vs 10 Euro's or less with home and work charging.

I see there's no diesel option any more for the Polo ? if you could get a diesel and if you could manage to get 4.5 L/100 Kms the cost 67 Euro's with diesel + you'd have a car with a good bit more torque.

The VW brochure says the minimum engine is 1.0L TSI 95 hp, the car I have now definitely doesn't feel like it has 95 hp or turbo....m There's only 1 engine choice these days for the Polo.

I really missed adaptive cruise and travel assist, the traffic was a good but lighter at that hour so I missed the auto steer the most.

This car doesn't even have parking sensors.

I'll be mighty glad to get the id.3 back!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think the main question is did the Polo have 2.3?

• Advertisement

Wish it did have 2.3 L Engine, could have done with the power! 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

it's actually easier to 'trust' it on a trip than it is for calculating your remaining range throughout the day or week as you go about your business making lots of small trips. that initial blast of cabin heat and warming the battery up takes out a big chunk of range each time and that's hard to calculate - it's a function of how often you turn the car on as much as how far you drive.

if i'm getting in the car and driving i know i'll be doing about 300km before i need to charge. in the summer it'll be 350km.

i think most of us obsess about the GOM a bit too much, certainly when new to EVs. over time you just know how far you can go with a given level of charge. this was however much easier in the egolf as the heat pump and better BMS evened out all those initial 'hits' to the battery and range was consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ballpark how much does a 20% to 80% charge cost, with a standard home electric charge? I havnt had a chance to go through the bills yet

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thankfully I didn't manage to stall it, just gave it enough revs on a hill I had to stop on, strange experience lol.

I certainly missed the bit of poke and travel assist.

You really need to look at how many Kwh that is, I have a charge point, the Wall Box Pulsar Plus and it shows me how many Kwh I use @ roughly 10 cent per Kwh for 23.165 Kwh it costs me around 2.32 cent, enough to get 116 Kms @20 Kwh/100 Km.

In Feb I used 227.55 Kwh costing 22.75 @10 cent per Kwh, that's to drive from Carlow to Dublin and pottering around roughly 750-850 Kms a week.

That's some saving over petrol and diesel, granted a lot of that was work charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 backbones

I'd be interested to see how many ID4's are being ordered compared to ID3's.

January is traditionally a big month for car registrations so its an interesting benchmark. The ID3 had only its 8th highest number of registrations in the month of January and February was its third lowest number of registrations, with only November and December beating it. By comparison, the ID4 had January as its third highest number of registrations, and then the February was the 5th highest registration month, not to far behind the January registration batch.

I've had a look at the car registrations between both the ID3 and the ID4 and to date and there has been a hard lean towards the ID4 compared to the ID3 as time has gone on. I have theory which might give some hope to ID3 owners who are seeing the low numbers of ID3 registrations. I think what we're seeing being delivered now from the ID4's are the big batch of ID4's ordered in the April to July period. This was when they would have been hitting the roads for the first time, so more people can see them, more available for test drives in dealerships, etc. At the same time, the ID3 would have been out at that point for a year and a half, so there would have been no major push factors for people looking at an ID3 who hadn't already known about it. So maybe, what we're seeing is a large backlog of ID4 orders being cleared compared to a relatively lower period of ID3 orders.

Having said that, the geopolitical situation with sanctions means that even if that was the case it could still be a while before we see any significant number of backlogs being cleared. Honestly I've started contacting other dealers to look at alternatives to the VW family to see if their delivery wait times are as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Thanks, so this morning had the car plugged in and pre heated, and took off at 80%, Galway to Limerick, two stops in Limerick city and back to Galway (m18 turn off after gort exit), came back 17%.

It was 4C in the morning, and 10 coming home. It was pretty much perfect conditions, kinda have to say im a little disappointed - but in the same sense its exactly where I figured it would be from online research, kinda worried about the colder winter days, but there is work charging and various circle K's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

According to the manual it should be possible to heat the seats (convenience consumers?) before departure, I've put the relevant section of the manual in quotes below. Has anyone been able to get the seats to heat by either turning on pre-heating via the App or by programming a departure time? I've tried both ways but seats won't heat, just the cabin. The seat heating does turn on as soon as I sit into the car.

"Stationary air conditioning with convenience consumers:

If the vehicle is air conditioned before departure, convenience consumers such as seat heating and heated rear window can also be switched on automatically before the departure time.

The convenience consumers depend on the vehicle equipment.

1. Open the Stationary air conditioning menu.

2. Touch .

3. Select the seats whose convenience consumers should be switched on additionally to the stationary air conditioning. Only the selected seats will be climatised before departure."

I did all that and the seats do not heat until I get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Thanks for that Mad Lad. I wonder if anyone has gotten the seats to heat remotely these cold mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They are not that bad if it was that bad to drive regarding power you must have had a N/A model with either 65 or 75PS. You would feel a bit of a kick from the turbo model.

Yep, I’m also a touch disappointed in the range. That said, it is much better in warmer weather (4 degrees is cold and means the battery will be heated up) and if I was doing that trip (any trip) I’d have left with the car charged to 100%.

yup, my head is all over the place looking at the GOM, the temp, the speed etc etc new EV owner :). The trip is semi regular so wanted to test the 80% to see how it fairs, and gives me some peace of mind.

So for example, I reached Clarinbridge with the GOM reading 74km, my home in (west of city), 70km on the GOM, so either my driving is very erratice , the GOM is using just the past few km (motorway) and not some AI learning of my trip patterns, or I don't understand how its estimates work. Im starting to the think the 70 or so km of motorway is kinda messing up the GOM range estimation on a micro level but on a macro level is not very far off.

it was a 212 car so don't know what the specs were but yeah definitely felt like N/A engine and 75ps or Less the thing hardly moved when I put the foot down.

for around town its fine but the roughness under load is bad.

on way home from blanch I managed 5.0 l/100 km by around Naas because traffic was very heavy speeds were slow, 5.5 by the time I got home so I think with that engine 4.5 l/100km would be possible u der 100 km/hr.

regular long distance that engine would drive me insane and its not that economical at speed. 47 imp mpg or 6.0l/100 km

getting back into the id3 felt like I was going to break the sound barrier lol.

I think the range is quite decent even at 120, the issue is mostly short trips and a lot of people don't seem to be aware that once you activate the heat via the app it doesn't turn off for 30 mins regardless whether you drive it and stop and get out and lock the car, the heat stays on until you stop it again in the app or the 30 mins is up.

I would probably get 320 kms easily and 380 at slower speeds, probably more in Summer, I have the 77 Kwh.

Only thing I wish they improved is fast charging speed which is very bad.

Regarding the GOM, its never very accurate in any EV so just get familiar with how far you get per %, for instance if I can get 150-170 kms per 50% then I know I should get another 150-170 Kms and I drive fairly hard and fast. 77 Kwh battery. In summer I should hopefully do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

In my case I do this.

Charge the thing to 100%@home all the time usually form around 100km remaining ish. Mind you that could easily be 5km depending on what I was doing.

My long term "consumption " over the last 18000km is a pretty crap 20kwh/100km as compared to 14.5 form my previous ioniq 28

So I just operate on the principle of 300km regardless as for long trips I just pick a charger and a backup within the remains range displayed and aim for the first one and guess what ? Charge to 100% again.

I.e I don't even think about range consumption etc just drive the car.

58kw life 204hp

if your getting 300 km from the 58 kwh your doing good, I don't think that's anything to complain about. I drive fat on the motorway and I get around 20 kwh/100 kms which is also my long term average ( 77 Kwh ) so in theory should get 385 kms but I've never tested it out as its got plenty of range, I could see 400 kms possible really if I look at it like that.

some days get more than 20 kwh/100 kms sometimes less. I think at speed the id3 is reasonably efficient especially if I compare it to my BMW i3 on the motorway.

shorter trips will suffer more in winter due to the battery heater, but for long trips I think its pretty good.

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree with you both; any long trip I charge 100% and assume 300km.

however, the egolf was easier to estimate - 200km regardless of weather and whether that was a bunch of short trips or one long run.

Over a year and half the egolf gave me around 16kwh/100km. It was only motorways that pushed it above 16kwh/100km.

The id3 after about 8 months is at around 19kwh/100km.

i don’t know if the battery heating is included and therefore skews the figures? (Also the golf had a heat pump)

but either way, that’s a slight disappointment - the newer car being less efficient.

Advertisement