Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

**further update, the Leaf has just unplugged and my speed didn't increase. So it's just the normal charge curve of the ID3.

Now 83% and 49kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

100kW is the max on the 58kWh ID.3. You have the Tour so you can get a max of 125kW, I think. The next software release (v3) is supposed to increase that a little bit more again.

You need it <15% SoC and the battery at least at 20°C.

The poor charging speeds is one of the worst things about the id.3 especially the 77 Kwh battery, VW must do better to control battery temp for charging along with a better charging curve.

Luckily though with such range fast charging is very rare for me now, but still, it would be nice to know that I can charge in a short time when I need to.

Still, it's a very nice car, the other niggle I have is the sluggish, but otherwise pretty decent infotainment system.

I really do miss the iDrive system that was in the BMW i3, touch screen just can't compare to that.

Battery needs to be at least 30 Deg C if I remember correctly for anything near 100 Kw + VW need a way to warm up the battery like tesla for fast charging.

The 58kWh doesnt anyway. I've given picture evidence on this thread. You get the full 100kW at 20°C in the 58kWh.

Maybe the Tour is different but I know for certain you dont need 30°C on the 58kWh.

• Advertisement

Did you have an app to show the battery temp ?

interesting. I can't manage to get the battery to get near 20deg from driving the 77 kwh.

33 mins for 39 kwh isn't fantastic in 2021/22 especially if this was also the case for the 77 Kwh

Funny enough the 2 times I used esb and 2 times ionity, ionity was providing an extra 10 kW.

Hopefully VW will address this sooner rather than later but I have little hope that they will have fast charging and unwanted battery heating fixed by 2023.

Now yes, I know my 2015 leaf in cold weather would have struggled to get 18 Kwh in 50 mins but all the same it's 2022 and you'd expect better than 39 Kwh in 33 mins no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

I think VW will be lucky to supply orders let alone roll out new software. If I got 200km for half an hour I’d be happy enough. I’d probably only need to do that once or twice a year. Could it be better ? Yes, but it is what it is.

Theres only one show in town for ota updates and proper fast charging. If my T5 falls through like others out there il be heading to Sandyford for a m3.

There’s no current alternative for a long range ev-, access to a proper charging network will be paramount as Esb chargers on busy routes start to fill with 58kwh Ioniq’s and the like- they are everywhere and along with other new ev’s will put heavy pressure on a network that’s not fit for purpose. +73kwh cars will make it almost anywhere in Ireland in one go- anything with less will struggle and leave you at the hands of public charging - (new 60kwh m3 being as capable as a +73kwh)

Enjoy the cars lads, your lucky to have them👍🏻

ID like the m3 60 kwh to compare the range of my tour 5, if VW ever stop the battery heating when it doesn't need it then this alone would make a massive difference, especially for shorter trips.

If VW fix the issue where remote activated heating doesn't turn off for 30 mins unless you stop it again with the app this would also make a difference, a lot of people are probably not aware about that.

in summer the 77 kwh id3 might have the edge over the m3 and maybe a lot more but the m3 will have much faster charging.

if you can hang on though the id3 T5 is a really great car, there's little to whinge about in fairness it's got really good range and I couldn't imagine a car with less rang and I can't wait to see what it's like in summer.

Also it's worth noting that at the low end VW hide almost 10% charge as I've seen on the app.

If you have the money to get m3 and you can get it sooner they why are you thinking about getting the id3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Still having trouble trying to understand the battery and charging. It's a little colder these days so I get that the battery needs to heat itself to achieve optimal performance or something.

Does the battery only start to heat itself when :

1) Sitting in starting off,

2) Start the AC from the app

3)While charging.

My current situation is, plug the car in at 11pm tonight, get up to leave at 7am, around 6:30 set the AC to 20 while the car is plugged in but at full charge. Or should I be using the schedule departure things ?

For a 58kWh battery its decent enough. And they are supposed to boost that in v3 of the software also.

Like every EV the rate tapers as it comes up to 70-80% and unless you are doing a very long journey you would likely have unplugged before that. It went from 10-60% in about 15-20mins (iirc).... thats as much as most people will need. 15mins is only enough time to stretch your legs... its not like you are waiting for the car.

It heats the battery when you put it into drive. Thats one of the issues with the software. It really should heat the battery based on your departure time but it doesnt. Supposedly fixed in the v3 software but thats not out yet so not confirmed and its not something any of us have control over so you can largely ignore it and just drive the car... its going to do whatever its going to do... you cant change it.

It does also heat the battery if you remotely activate the heating while its NOT plugged in. So you will lose range accordingly. Again, supposed to be fixed in next software.

if VW ever stop the battery heating when it doesn't need it then this alone would make a massive difference, especially for shorter trips.

It makes very little difference on short trips. Yes, your consumption goes up, but so what? It probably means you have to charge the car an extra time over the course of a few weeks but its not something that make a "massive difference", like you suggest.

If VW fix the issue where remote activated heating doesn't turn off for 30 mins unless you stop it again with the app this would also make a difference, a lot of people are probably not aware about that.

That is a minor issue really. Who cares about that really?

I'm not saying VW shouldnt fix these (and they said they will) but they dont really affect the enjoyment or range of the car on a long trip and if you do lots of short trips you just plug the car in as required.... slightly more energy used than necessary but its still a fraction of an ICE... those are not the big issues.

Getting timed charging to work is significantly more important. And getting the battery heated as you arrive at a DC charger. Those are the things that will make a massive difference.

“If you have the money to get m3 and you can get it sooner they why are you thinking about getting the id3 ?”

The simple answer to that is cash- we got a really good trade in price last August that’s been locked in and we got the T5 at last summers price, since then it went up 3k!

Ive been told the car is due in the next week or so, it’s has a vin and specifications are listed on my VW..VW chat couldn’t tell me where the car is but the dealer is confident it’s en-route.

My original order has been pushed back to July so I took a chance on getting this one when it was offered, fingers crossed it works out 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭EarWig

ID.4 struggling to get out of South William Street this afternoon.

So quiet the pedestrians weren't getting out of the day.

Luckily the horn is still included.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yep, been there, really wish VW would make an 'idle' noise when you select a gear

Of course, I've known people to be so brain dead they still walk in front of moving cars in car parks

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not only a problem with EVs. My son has a 1.2 L 4 cylinder VVTi petrol Corolla. Not sold here, had to import from UK before things got crazy. Engine when warm is barely audible..

• Advertisement

Not really good enough in 2022, "in my opinion" if it was 15 mins 10-80% I'd be a lot more impressed but all this can be fixed with software updates, hopefully as VW get more data they can improve the charging curve because 120-130 Kw is good for marketing but if it only gets 120 or 130 KW from 5-20%, in my opinion that's not good.

The BMW i3 , 2017 and 33 Kwh battery could pull max charging power ( 50 Kw ) until around 85%, when warm enough of course.

I wouldn't be expecting V3 to be rolled out any time soon.

As I said though, 77 Kwh of usable energy gets me pretty much anywhere I want to go and back all the time now without having to charge anywhere except for a couple of times a year which is a game changer for me, but it would be nice to be able to charge faster when I find a 150 Kw+ Charger.

Timed charging is a good one alright, I had completely forgot about that since I have timer function on the charge point.

I care about the remote activated heat staying on because it's costing me money, it shouldn't happen, it should shut off when the car is turned off. Same with battery heating, it's costing more to run, it's a waste of energy, although admittedly it's not costing me a lot I suppose with so much free work charging, Feb cost me 22 Euros to drove from Carlow to Dublin and back for a month and that includes any weekend driving, still it would be nice to see VW improve efficiency because, it's a stupid waste of energy really.

Whenever I used remote activated heating I always used to change my heating settings back to my preferred temp and fan settings when driving off. Only took a few seconds.

Edit, or I used to turn off heating from app as I was walking to car..

Well it really will be worth the wait, even with some quirks it's probably the best car I've owned and the travel assist has completely changed my commute, it's just much more of a pleasure to sit in on the motorway and have the car do 99% of the work.

What's that got to do with remote activated heating not turning back off or are you talking about something else ? 😊

I used to manually turn it off before setting off..

Thought you were talking about remote cabin heating, sorry..😊

To be fair Mad Lad it’s the wife who will be driving the id3 and she doesn’t see herself as a model 3 driver - to be fair I don’t blame her- she doesn’t want to say goodbye to the Zoe either but I won’t shed too many tears on that front. She just really liked the id3 and all the safety tech.

I’m out for a spin in a M3 Monday week, the old man was set on moving away from the phev niro to an ev6-

I’m reasonably young and an early adopter and have washed my hands of having to deal with e-cars with the 77kwh id3.

For an 80 year old he definitely doesn’t need the faffing around with charge cards, waiting for chargers, abandoned cars etc…hopefully he will be converted, il also have no problem borrowing his M3😬

edit - typo

Both excellent cars, the m3 is very nice inside and the infotainment is a lot smoother than the id3.

I had the pleasure of sitting in eagerev's shiny new m3 recently, lovely car have to say and to think they call it the basic model, wow!

• Advertisement
Advertisement