Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

7kW is excellent if it's free and for the working day.

Spoiled rotten ye are..😁

If VW ever enable V2H I'll be powering the house with the work leccy ! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Anyone have an issue with the Front USB-c's not charging phones properly/slowly?

You hardly think VW installed USB C sockets that will fast charge ? I think 10-15w is the absolute max you can pull but I don't know if that's spit if something else is plugged in. y

You'd think in this day and age being a modern EV that they'd have a couple of PD sockets but sure look, I've no rear door speakers in the T5. 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Crazy, I paid below €42k for the Tour IIRC. North of €50k now.

• Advertisement

Have you the Tour or T5 again ?

Over 50K not a hope in hell. I'd buy a 2nd hand Diesel before I'd pay those prices for a car that has an interior that looks like it belongs in a car costing 25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Think Phil’s in a Tour- 2nd hand diesel is right, the timing was perfect for a lot of us to change and the money added up, the i3 are savage cars and allowed for us to travel anywhere in Ireland at any time without the **** fight of depending of public charging,- if I remember correctly we all did well on the pricing of buying the i3’s and that made it easier to get into an id3 with a big battery, (granted I kept my i3 and flipped Zoe) given past experiences I wasn’t going from a go anywhere i3 to a full bev with limitations, the 77kw allowed for that and was reasonable at €41k-

The way prices are now I’d look at an econobox or thrifty diesel <€20k, starting a fresh without the money saved from an ev which allowed to reinvest in solar and all the stuff on the renewables thread would be a struggle, add in then that ev’s are now unattainable for many with price increases and less cash in peoples pocket …they are undoubtedly a luxury item now.

Often peoples first step was to get an ev and this forum has never been so busy, the same new posters from here in time appear on the solar threads ect but like the cars, that’s gone up in price too making it too big a reach for many families that are currently financially under the pump.

Where do I get a cable anyway to fit in the usb slots in the id3 to charge an iPhone ? - None of the apple lighting ones I normally use fit….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You'll need a Lightning to USB C cable. Recommend Anker brand for quality cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

app not connecting again :/ for me anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

and im back! lol just after charging back to 80%, not sure if me out there unplugging woke it up or anything.

I always liked my old ID.3 interior, but mine was the €33K version...☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

My wife brought her ID3 in for a software update yesterday and just got the car back today. Decided to see if the update has fixed the scheduled charging, but when I checked, the car is showing as on software version 2.3.0. Should they not have updated to 2.4, or is that an OTA update?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Look for the version number. If it says 0912, you're on 2.4, even if it says 2.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Decided to see if the update has fixed the scheduled charging

not fixed in 2.4. We need to wait until 3.0 for that fix.

I got USB C to Lightning on Amazon. It will charge slow, then again, most Iphones charge slow anyway compared to Android so you might find that the id3 USB C outlets are fast enough.

My Work phone is iphone 11 and it charges wirelessly in the T5 so maybe yours does too ? that's not going to be fast either. But you might be able to charge your iphone wirelessly in the id3 ?

Yes, EV prices are just ridiculous now, I don't know where it's going to end, probably all new car sales will stall as most new car prices are getting higher too. Bad time to buy cars or pretty much anything.

Aye, I’ve wireless charging but it only does the one phone, got a DaveyDave cable there for an extra power source and kids in the back 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

Yep it's 0912 so all good! Scheduled charge worked last night anyway also so fingers crossed it continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

No way I'd have paid 50k for my T5, paying around 10k less was already pushing my limits. I like the minimalist interior though and find it a much nicer place to be than some of the button laden alternatives. It would be even better if 'hey id' actually worked. I suppose a Tesla might work for me as a replacement!!

• Advertisement

Teslas are getting more expensive and to get similar range as the tour and tour 5 you're talking 60 odd K.

Buttons everywhere are not good either but a nice balance, Radio and climate control are priority, when I get into the car I don't want to have to wait to have to access radio or climate control or the hassle of going through menus to access radio, that's ridiculous, they could do it better, have the top section of the screen dedicated to the most commonly used functions.

Hello ID working ? probably with Gen 3 id range. 🤣

You are a bit out of touch with your Tesla prices..😉 The long range starts now at almost €69K. The 60kWh base version (Mine) starts at €53K but would not expect as good range as your car..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I'm in a Tour. Didn't need the extra seat, did want all the goodies and hit the jackpot when I got the MY22 version which added the surround camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I’d be happy if the touch buttons under the screen were backlight. The, hopefully available for download soon, v3.1 software is supposed to bring big improvements to startup time.

Prices have gone mad but hopefully the charging network will have improved enough in a few years so that I won’t need the extra range.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Eagerv. What is the real world range of your Tesla? Thanks.

Very difficult to say as yet, even though I have the car from March 1st. I'd say about 400 is fairly realistic for mixed driving, but often see 5 km/% on my slower routes. I'd say wltp is possible (500 odd km) with very careful driving. My ID.3 58kWh probably wasn't far behind for mixed driving in the warmer months, but the Tesla is a lot better at motorway speeds and in colder weather, has heatpump. However the VW enthusiastic battery heating should be less of a range hit after update.

Drove the Tesla down near London a few weeks ago and back via midlands. Over 1K km and was so easy. Only navigated via Tesla Superchargers but used the much cheaper Gridserve chargers which are everywhere. (At least I had a fall back if the Gridserve, normally with 2 combined chargers, were busy or broken)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Thanks eagerv. Sounds good. I was wondering how the Tesla v ID3 77kwh would compare in the real world. Seems the real difference is at motorway speeds?

I'd get 350 at 120 Km/hr in the tour 5 and I'd say I could hit 500 off the motorway @13/14 Kwh/100 Km,

However, I do not have 77 Kwh, I have 68 Kwh usable out of 73.5 which is the max "available" capacity now + further buffer causing the car to charge only to 95% but shows 100% on the dash/app

It remains to be seen what a future update will do to battery capacity but the Model 3 with LiFeP04 should not see any battery capacity reduction for a long time, my old BMW i3 showed no capacity loss over almost 5 years and 143,000 Kms, still 28.5 Kwh since the day I picked it up.

I have spotted that the id3 tour 5 does hide around 7% at the bottom end also so this could balance out what's missing out of the top end, some day I'd love to do a 100% to 0% drive but the charging network is far too poor to allow this.

But if it's reporting I have 68 Kwh then I have 68 Kwh usable regardless.

So if I average around 19 Kwh/100 Km on my commute including a stint at 120 up the M9 and M7 that would give me 357 Kms with 68 usable Kwh. 13 Kwh/100 kms would give me 523 Kms off the motorway probably in warmer weather. In reality by the time I get through traffic the car would be telling me around 16 Kwh/100 Km and the last few days I've just avoided the N7 as it's not fit for purpose, I'd rather be moving faster on back roads.

Heat pump is useless in my opinion and not worth the extra cost as range is more than enough these days for most without the extra expense and as temps get lower a heat pump becomes less effective when you need it the most. What would matter most in Windy Ireland would be better aerodynamics.

Maybe in 10 Years when electrics have over 100 Kwh of usable energy we won't care. I don't really care about efficiency as it is now with the T5 but would still love the range of my old Audi A4, over 600 miles per tank, around 965 Kms now that would be something as the more independence from the network the better if you ask me. So if I average 19 Kwh/100 Kms on the motorway this time of year that would mean I would need around 190 Kwh battery 😁

• Advertisement

Yes, aerodynamics play a large part in higher speed cruising. I am of the belief that most EVs have a similar enough base efficiency, so a lot down to drag, usable battery, weight, battery heating, heat pump etc etc.

Advertisement