Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭zoom_cool

tw0nk wrote: »
    No mention of mileage limits, but I will say the presentation was made up and based on guesswork I think

I ask the presenter on the ID Plan and he said nothing confirmed on the mileage limit but it will be between 10 - 20K thats what he told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'll be cancelling both my orders today.

It was always a stretch for me to buy one, as I expected the price to be as stupid as it is, but I was going to hold on to them until release, and see if the dealers would buy them for more than they're worth to meet demand (my friend sold his Kona pre-order for a profit).

But if you need to financially commit 3 months in advance then I'll just sack it now and get my cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So I was at the event today. Well organised, decent sambos and drinks, speakers were professional, well prepared and pretty well informed. I'd expected Paddy Comyn to be there (VAG head of communications in Ireland), but he wasn't

Car looked good, the interior was better quality than I expected (but not quite at eGolf level) except the hard plastic door cards, but the guy showing the car was adamant that these would improve in the production cars (this car was the same turquoise pre-production actual car that was the launch car at the Frankfurt motor show)

First thing I did was ask two other fellas to join me on the back seat. And as I expected from the seat width measurement someone made earlier on the thread, this is not a Passat size car. There is less space than in Ioniq or Leaf, which means the car is not suitable for 3 people in the back unless they are very small. The car is not suitable for me with 3 kids getting into their teenage years. Legroom was fine, I (a bit over 6'1) could sit behind myself with at least an inch to spare

Most things were as expected, very small boot, but with a handy ski-hatch, a few strange things like no wireless Android auto on any of the models (I would have expected to have that in a car not going into production until almost a year from now) And only wireless charging on the €50k max version, which I thought was pretty mean (it is standard on a €25k 2016 Ioniq). Heads up display looked a bit too distant for me, nice feature though, but also only on the €50k max version

Aux 12V battery is lead acid and tiny, I couldn't see the label but it looked even smaller than the 40Ah one in Ioniq. Asked did the system check the aux battery and top it up from the HV battery and he confirmed it did. But he did not have any detailed knowledge about it

The motive on the C-pillar is indeed only one big sticker that looks like it will be easy enough to just remove. It looks cheap and tacky to me. Pretty much all of the other characteristics of the "first" edition are meaningless too, not desirable at all imho, except the funky pause and play pedals

Specially for Silent Running, I told the guy who did the demo that I heard a rumour that the long range ID.3 would have only 4 seats. He confirmed. I then said I couldn't find anything about it online, and was he absolutely certain it would be a 4 seater? Yes he was. When I then asked was it because the battery had to take the place of the middle seat, he wasn't 100% sure, he said there wouldn't be a transmission tunnel housing the batteries. He seemed to think it was a 4 seater purely to reduce weight to compensate for the heavier battery. He said for the same reason you couldn't get a panoramic roof on the long range (because it is heavier than a metal roof)

VW will provide their own tethered charger, but no info on pricing yet. They have a nationwide install partner and when I asked who that was, he confirmed it was Bord Gais, I guess a safe choice

No goodie bag at the end, perhaps the take up of the invitations was higher than they expected and they ran out

Oh and forgot to say all VW dealers will get car chargers. Of which the minimum would be one DC charger, minimum 22kW. I think they said free for VW owners to use. And all first edition customers will get 2,000 kWh free public (ESB) charging when you use the VW app, or 1 year whichever comes first. I think this was mentioned on this thread already. Only worth max €160 at the night rate, many people will probably use less than €50 of this. But I'd say this is a clever choice from a VW marketing point of view and with great timing now charging for charging has been introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Was there as well tonight...

• Advertisement

Knew I was going to forget more stuff :o

Battery warranty is 8 years (same as pretty much all other car makers except Kia with just 7 years) but capacity guaranteed at 80% which is higher than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    First thing I did was ask two other fellas to join me on the back seat. And as I expected from the seat width measurement someone made earlier on the thread, this is not a Passat size car. There is less space than in Ioniq or Leaf, which means the car is not suitable for 3 people in the back unless they are very small. The car is not suitable for me with 3 kids getting into their teenage years. Legroom was fine, I (a bit over 6'1) could sit behind myself with at least an inch to spare

Thanks for doing that. I was one of those lads comparing the rear shoulder room measurements, so with 3 kids myself coming into teenage years, this car is a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote: »
    Knew I was going to forget more stuff :o

Battery warranty is 8 years (same as pretty much all other car makers except Kia with just 7 years) but capacity guaranteed at 80% which is higher than most.
    Do you think that indicates they are confident about their battery engineering, design and chemistry? Do we know what cells & chemistry are they using?

Other than that I'm sure they'll do it right from engineering point of view - in terms of design, cooling, electronics/BMS etc.

McGiver wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll do it right from engineering point of view - in terms of design, cooling, electronics/BMS etc.

Yeah I have no doubt that they will get all of that spot on and make it a great drivers car too. There's a lot at stake here for the biggest car manufacturer in the world.

Interesting aspect about the main presentation was an emphasis on climate change and the role VW sees for itself. It was without waffling, it hinted at shame in the past (diesel gate), taking responsibility and how the aim of the whole group is to be 100% renewable energy by 2050

An interesting statistic is that they stated 1% of the world's total CO2 output is caused by VW group (cars, plants, etc.), which I thought was extremely high.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

sk8board wrote: »
    Thanks for doing that. I was one of those lads comparing the rear shoulder room measurements, so with 3 kids myself coming into teenage years, this car is a non-runner.

Yep thanks for checking that out, means it’s out for me as well... pity as I was hoping it would fit the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

~40k for a car with no reversing camera? I didn't read that wrong did I?
    Yes this is rwd and has some ponies to make it go fast but WTF is going to stop people from jumping in the new e-corsa/e-208/zoe which will all go longer for miles cheaper and will have better kit for cheaper.
    As has been said by others, car for the masses this most definitely ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Yes this is rwd and has some ponies to make it go fast but WTF is going to stop people from jumping in the new e-corsa/e-208/zoe which will all go longer for miles cheaper and will have better kit for cheaper.

Not that I like the price but 208e and ecorsa will have much shorter range and zoe slightly shorter then Id. 3 first edition and all 3 cars are to small for me.
    We still don't know all the specs so I will wait until they reveal all details.
    Judging from all the complaints this week they might loose half of the prebookers this week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Not that I like the price but 208e and ecorsa will have much shorter range and zoe slightly shorter then Id. 3 first edition and all 3 cars are to small for me.
    We still don't know all the specs so I will wait until they reveal all details.
    Judging from all the complaints this week they might loose half of the prebookers this week alone.

I asked if there had been many cancellations. The guy said "not many" when pushed, he came up with "about 20". Anybody think that sounds a bit low? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

I asked if there had been many cancellations. The guy said "not many" when pushed, he came up with "about 20". Anybody think that sounds a bit low? :D

I'm one of the 20 so! Wonder can we find the other 19 on here?!

ewj1978 wrote: »

There is no way in hell I'd drive the above mentioned cars, they are much slower and FWD.

And there's no way in hell I'd drive those cars just to get a reversing camera or a bit more kit, I never even use on my current car. I use mirrors, windows and parking sensors.

Another example, I wouldn't buy a egolf for adaptive cruise control when the i3 is a lot more fun/powerful to drive and is a proper dedicated ev platform.

I don't even use the park assist on the i3.

+ Id.3 will have 100 Kw charging, that will make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

Efitz2019 wrote: »

I'd be amazed if it's not more than 20. I was there last night and overhead several people commenting on the small boot, no frunk, high price and that it most definitely is not Passat sized inside. I did think it looked looked much better in the flesh than in the pictures though.

VW fans will buy the 1st but for the your average consumer looking to jump to EV this is not the car.

I have an eGolf and personally I'd go for the lowest spec Model 3 before the 1st.

I'd be a little surprised if it was only 20 at the time of the presentation, I'd pretty much guarantee its a damn sight more by this morning.

PS for anyone else who has done it, how do you cancel? Doesn't seem to be straightforward from the confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Efitz2019 wrote: »

Cancelled mine a few weeks ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

I'm a cancellation too bout 2 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I canceled mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

DrPhilG wrote: »
    PS for anyone else who has done it, how do you cancel? Doesn't seem to be straightforward from the confirmation email.
    You have to log into your ID3 account that you set up when ordering. There is a cancel button at the end of the page. Had my money back in my account within a week

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I cancelled mine too a while back. There was a list of us who had pre booked and paid a deposit so it wouldn’t be too difficult to see from that who’s bailed out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

The marketing person at the next steps booth mentioned allocation of 400 ID.3 1st editions for Ireland but that there were spots available if we knew anyone who wanted to get one. She said there were ~36000 pre-bookings in Europe but that wasn't a current number.

Interesting to see European uptake vs Irish, I'm hanging in there til prices confirmed. 45k for max is my magic number.

Irishjg wrote: »
    I cancelled mine too a while back. There was a list of us who had pre booked and paid a deposit so it wouldn’t be too difficult to see from that who’s bailed out

Yeah I had 2 on that list, although one is a UK order as its up north.

Cancelled both though.

Where the hell is @shefwedfan to update it?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Regarding spec - id3 first all trims will have parking sensors back and front, adaptive cruise control and lane assist.
    So I think this is quite good.
    What else plastic kona has that people are not happy with the id3 first specs?
    From what I can see id3 will look better, should drive better and will have better infortainment system for similar money - 40kish

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Regarding spec - id3 first all trims will have parking sensors back and front, adaptive cruise control and lane assist.
    So I think this is quite good.
    What else plastic kona has that people are not happy with the id3 first specs?
    From what I can see id3 will look better, should drive better and will have better infortainment system for similar money - 40kish

With RWD you can be guaranteed it will be a lot better drive than the Kona and have a lot more grip , the wheel spin in the Kona is ridiculous, the road noise is excessive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wheel spins and road noise could be contributed to crap tyres. Put some pilot sports on it and see how it is.

Wheel spins and road noise could be contributed to crap tyres. Put some pilot sports on it and see how it is.

It would help but there's a limit on damp and wet roads when there's so much torque available, I think they're B rated tyres for wet grip that's on the Kona if I remember correctly and that's not that bad to begin with so A would help but certainly not solve what I call a real pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I read on youtube comments somewhere that the 1st edition will not have an option for a towbar for a bicycle carrier. I asked a couple of the guys at the Weston event but they didn't know anything - just a "wait until the final specs are announced in February" answer. So that's the main reason I'll be out (amongst many other things people have already mentioned in this thread). Will wait until next year to cancel though.

There is just nothing special about the 1st edition. Though it's perhaps wrong to say that without knowing the options they have available for the regular orders. I wasn't happy hearing one of the guys talking about how the car is connected - that if, for example, you wanted maps for the weekend, you could have them by just a touch of a button. I suppose they will try and put a cost on whatever features they can possibly get away with.

It's easy to wait and see what the regular versions have to offer, especially if 1st editions only start delivery at the end of summer.

Way too expensive though. The government have to scrap their grants. It's of no benefit to us, the end users. That car at Weston has a current suggested RRP of €60k in Ireland (before grants)? I feel like I'm been taken for a mug. 

Advertisement