Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Regarding spec - id3 first all trims will have parking sensors back and front, adaptive cruise control and lane assist.

All new cars need to have AEB, ACC and LKAS as standard, otherwise they will not get 5 star Euro NCAP safety rating. So my guess is pretty much all new launches from next year except maybe some budget cars like Dacias and superminis, will have all 3 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

coward wrote: »
    I read on youtube comments somewhere that the 1st edition will not have an option for a towbar for a bicycle carrier. I asked a couple of the guys at the Weston event but they didn't know anything - just a "wait until the final specs are announced in February" answer. So that's the main reason I'll be out (amongst many other things people have already mentioned in this thread). Will wait until next year to cancel though.

There is just nothing special about the 1st edition. Though it's perhaps wrong to say that without knowing the options they have available for the regular orders. I wasn't happy hearing one of the guys talking about how the car is connected - that if, for example, you wanted maps for the weekend, you could have them by just a touch of a button. I suppose they will try and put a cost on whatever features they can possibly get away with.

It's easy to wait and see what the regular versions have to offer, especially if 1st editions only start delivery at the end of summer.

Way too expensive though. The government have to scrap their grants. It's of no benefit to us, the end users. That car at Weston has a current suggested RRP of €60k in Ireland (before grants)? I feel like I'm been taken for a mug. 

Agree with your sentiments. The whole ev revolution will be measured in the hundreds from now. The prices are ridiculous for the majority of people (in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

In fairness, the VW marketing department are doing a good job

They have 36k pre-orders on an overpriced ev who's only selling point is rwd and a 100kW charger.

Surely the el Born will undermine the ID3 in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I really don't think the pre-order figures have ever been really relevant. It's just a non-committal expression of interest, many of which were going to be cancelled from day one. People putting their name in the queue just in case but probably not buying it unless there was something incredible about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Agree with your sentiments. The whole ev revolution will be measured in the hundreds from now. The prices are ridiculous for the majority of people (in Ireland)

Yes

Look at China

EV sales have collapsed since state subsidies have been reduced, while ICE sales have increased

Going off EV's myself now since reading the Model 3 thread

€73,000 EV with a humongous 75kWh pack and owners not getting 300km @ 120 on the motorway in November weather

If a bloody Tesla can't get good range then a pleb like me looking at a cheap 45kWh ID3 is only wasting his time

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Going off EV's myself now

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah I had 2 on that list, although one is a UK order as its up north.

Cancelled both though.

Where the hell is @shefwedfan to update it?

Left this thread a long time ago

Ruined by you know who posting the same crap now as at start of thread

The eGolf is doing nicely and will swap to Crozz when it comes out or Buzz.....

For those complaining about the price, sister in law is due to refresh her Toyota CHR, 37k is the price she is quoted for the new model.....car prices are going one way and I can tell you it ain’t down

Yes

Look at China

EV sales have collapsed since state subsidies have been reduced, while ICE sales have increased

€73,000 EV with a humongous 75kWh pack and owners not getting 300km @ 120 on the motorway in November weather

If a bloody Tesla can't get good range then a pleb like me looking at a cheap 45kWh ID3 is only wasting his time

Funny that haha, I'd struggle to have got 90 kms in my old 24 Kwh Leaf when new @120 Km/h ! 300 doesn't sound bad to me, especially with 150 Kw charging, not bad at all, I'll take it thanks !:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For those complaining about the price, sister in law is due to refresh her Toyota CHR, 37k is the price she is quoted for the new model.....car prices are going one way and I can tell you it ain’t down

That's probably the biggest misunderstanding of most people on this forum. They seem to have zero idea as to the price of new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Mike9832 wrote:

Hey Mike will you ever be happy? :)

• Advertisement

Funny that haha, I'd struggle to have got 90 kms in my old 24 Kwh Leaf when new @120 Km/h ! 300 doesn't sound bad to me, especially with 150 Kw charging, not bad at all, I'll take it thanks !
    Exactly, progress has been made.
    300km in worst weather at motorway speed is spot on for all population on this island bar special cases (salesman travelling 500km a day etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

McGiver wrote: »
    300km in worst weather at motorway speed is spot on for all population on this island bar special cases (salesman travelling 500km a day etc).

Problem is we thought a Model 3 big battery might do more.

The gap between summer and winter is a challenge.

Renault acknowledge it in old model Zoe brochure by giving a real world summer figure of 280 and 300 kms and 180 and 200 in winter. The 280 and 180 figures are for Q models.

But people buy stuff thinking the EV will do a better figure then the real winter figure.

It's a problem for EV adoption as people then don't trust the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Markcheese

liamog wrote: »
    That's probably the biggest misunderstanding of most people on this forum. They seem to have zero idea as to the price of new cars.

Yup, or they look at the base model of the dacia duster (when they wouldn't buy a duster anyway) and compare to that... I do get that a lot of electric cars are tech heavy (which can up the price), but they're being targeted at the early adopters and people into tech..

It'll be interesting when someone does do an origonal dacia duster or sandero style ev...
    You know, it's ultra basic, for features it has a radio and a heater, steel wheels,
    The motor from a zoe and battery from a zoe and is offered for 18 grand or something...
    And your aunty Margaret bought one,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It is

For 65-75k I'd expect no less

The plebs with 30k will be stuck with 175km like VW ID.3 45kWh and who knows what charge rate for 30k

Alot of work to do yet

The plebs with 30k will be stuck with 175km like VW ID.3 45kWh

What do you mean stuck? Go take a p1ss and a have coffee half way down your 350km trip while your car charges up for 30 minutes?

This pleb has no problem with that at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

liamog wrote: »

I see that as a huge issue. The Avensis which was one of Ireland most popular cars , if you walk into Toyota looking to buy its replacement it starts at 40k.....

The Model 3 to be fair looks a tad disappointing for Winter range Vs Summer.

But Kia and Hyundai 64 kwhs dont seem as bad.

eGolf just looks a bit meh because it's 90 miles for some and not the 110 miles that was expected.

ID 3 with 45 kwh could still be okay.

Old diesel wrote: »
    The Model 3 to be fair looks a tad disappointing for Winter range Vs Summer.

But Kia and Hyundai 64 kwhs dont seem as bad.

eGolf just looks a bit meh because it's 90 miles for some and not the 110 miles that was expected.

If Model 3 is bad, Kia and Hyundai will be much worse and ID3 45kWh will be short range EV in comparison

Model 3 is the most efficient long range EV by a long shot in all weathers

We are only seeing the realistic range now cause people that drive Teslas drove cars at real worlds speeds and carried it over

They probably came from 520/530D/A5s etc, motorway cruisers and drove at or above speed limits

Not Leaf speed as some people here who upgraded to Kona, eNiro etc

We are only seeing the realistic range now cause people that drive Teslas drove cars at real worlds speeds and carried it over

They probably came from 520/530D/A5s etc, motorway cruisers and drove at or above speed limits

Not Leaf speed as some people here who upgraded to Kona, eNiro etc

There's no doubt truth in that. There simply is very little energy on board an EV, and if you drive at or above motorway speed limits you will get a lot less range than the "official" WLTP range. More so in EVs (that don't do any regen on motorways) than in ICE cars

That coupled with the effect of winter weather like we had last week, near zero temps, wind, rain, wet roads. These are not catered for in WLTP figures at all

Even as you say the most advanced and most efficient long range EV like the Tesla Model 3 LR / P can not escape this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Agree .

For the winter motorway range of any electric car, take 40% off its WLTP.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

Cancelled my reservation yesterday. It’s just not the car for me at this moment. Hopefully will see some more performance/sportier ID cars down the line.

Old diesel wrote:
    It's a problem for EV adoption as people then don't trust the cars.
    Not about trust. It's about way of thinking. EVs do you less in winter end of story. Don't think the time when you will be driving the EV like an ICE (carefree) will come any soon.
    It needs changing how you think.

Old diesel wrote:
    It will be fine... 200km worst case in winter. 280km summer.

Not about trust. It's about way of thinking. EVs do you less in winter end of story. Don't think the time when you will be drive the EV like an ICE (carefree) willow come any soon.
    It needs changing how you think.

The trust issue is where an owner thought the car would do 250 miles.

But then they find it can't do the full 250 and that causes a problem in their driving pattern.

An extra charge stop they don't have time for - for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Old diesel wrote: »
    The trust issue is where an owner thought the car would do 250 miles.

But then they find it can't do the full 250 and that causes a problem in their driving pattern.

An extra charge stop they don't have time for - for example.

I spent a good 6 months researching evs before I bought my Ioniq. I would assume most people would do the same. So I knew exactly what I was getting into. I would have liked to buy a car with a longer range but for the few times a year I do really long trips it wasn't worth the extra 14k. Picked up my 191 for 26k

On a recent trip to Dublin from Waterford it only added an extra 35mins to the journey than what it would be in an ice. If I'm doing a journey which is beyond the cars range I'll leave an hour earlier to give myself a chance to charge along the way or I find that if I have to drive at 110 on the motorway instead of 120 but it means I get where I'm going without stopping for a charge I'll do it. So owning an ev does involve some changes in driving habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mod Note: No personal attacks

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    I spent a good 6 months researching evs before I bought my Ioniq. I would assume most people would do the same.

Some people do, a lot of people don't! Before I bought my Ioniq, I also knew exactly what the worst case scenario range was based on the long winter test videos from Nyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭sk8board

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    SNIP

On a recent trip to Dublin from Waterford it only added an extra 35mins to the journey than what it would be in an ice. If I'm doing a journey which is beyond the cars range I'll leave an hour earlier to give myself a chance to charge along the way or I find that if I have to drive at 110 on the motorway instead of 120 but it means I get where I'm going without stopping for a charge I'll do it. So owning an ev does involve some changes in driving habits.

totally agree about there being EV driving habits per say, however I'd personally see 35min on to the waterford-Dublin journey (I do it regularly), or leaving an hour earlier, as unacceptable levels of changing my driving habits to encourage me into the current crop of (comparatively expensive) EV's.

Stopping for a 15min top-up and grab a coffee is fair enough, and with range improvements in the next year or two I wouldn't expect to have to do that either, winter or summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

sk8board wrote: »
    totally agree about there being EV driving habits per say, however I'd personally see 35min on to the waterford-Dublin journey (I do it regularly), or leaving an hour earlier, as unacceptable levels of changing my driving habits to encourage me into the current crop of (comparatively expensive) EV's.

Stopping for a 15min top-up and grab a coffee is fair enough, and with range improvements in the next year or two I wouldn't expect to have to do that either, winter or summer.

I agree with you if I was someone who regularly did Waterford to Dublin and back I'd have never bought an ev or would have had to buy a long range one but I only do about 15k or so a year. Most of these journeys are way less than the cars range. So for me the car made sense instead of paying a lot extra for a long range model. I stopped in the new service station in kilcullen car was actually charged in 25mins but by the time the kids finished eating it was 35mins or so. I would never stop in an ice car doing Waterford to Dublin but this is the small adjustment I need to make. It's worth it in my opinion. I should save close to 1k in fuel costs a year

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »

So 15 vs 35 min such a fundamental change for you?

Advertisement