Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sk8board wrote: »
    totally agree about there being EV driving habits per say, however I'd personally see 35min on to the waterford-Dublin journey

I'd say nearly all EVs for sale today can do Dublin - Waterford without charging at all. Did it myself with the full family on board and car fully loaded a few years ago in my 28kWh car (it was summer though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I was at the event last week and it only reinforced my decision to buy the car. I think it is a stunning looking car and the technology is an obvious step up from my current diesel. I'm not put of by the price either, I think it is priced appropriately considering other options available. I will likely opt for the mid version as i hate those wheels on the Max and can live without the few extras the Max has. Those looking for a cheaper EV will just have to to wait for the full launch or the other manufacturers to come to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Both my refunds arrived yesterday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Akabusi wrote: »
    I was at the event last week and it only reinforced my decision to buy the car. I think it is a stunning looking car and the technology is an obvious step up from my current diesel. I'm not put of by the price either, I think it is priced appropriately considering other options available. I will likely opt for the mid version as i hate those wheels on the Max and can live without the few extras the Max has. Those looking for a cheaper EV will just have to to wait for the full launch or the other manufacturers to come to market.

I think we may be the only ones left.
    I was always expecting the prices of this 1st Edition to be around the 40/45/50 marks. We don't have kids yet, and this looks to be a really nice hatch with enough room in the back for the dog. I felt there was enough room in the back for carrying three people when we need to give them a lift around the city, but can see why people might think it's tight for more regular usage.

I found the interior to be much more modern and open than the Ioniq/e-Niro, I've mentioned it on the e-Niro thread, but it's made my wife question her e-Niro decision and she now want's a Seat El-Born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭sk8board

McGiver wrote: »
    So 15 vs 35 min such a fundamental change for you?

to be fair to the OP, the 35min wasn't a common occurrence, and its only 150-160km journey to begin with, however I value my time more than anything. I assume we all do, and that's 35min extra on a 90-100min journey.

whatever about a fundamental level, on a practical level it, well, isn't.

pretty soon it'll be a moot pint, as range is increasing on a monthly basis now and prices can only come down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭zoom_cool

liamog wrote: »
    I think we may be the only ones left.
    I was always expecting the prices of this 1st Edition to be around the 40/45/50 marks. We don't have kids yet, and this looks to be a really nice hatch with enough room in the back for the dog. I felt there was enough room in the back for carrying three people when we need to give them a lift around the city, but can see why people might think it's tight for more regular usage.

I found the interior to be much more modern and open than the Ioniq/e-Niro, I've mentioned it on the e-Niro thread, but it's made my wife question her e-Niro decision and she now want's a Seat El-Born.

I still have my reservation not sure what to do I will keep it alive till i see what else maybe comes up.

I felt there was enough room in the back for carrying three people when we need to give them a lift around the city

Absolutely, that's no problem at all. The leg space is there. It would just not be very comfortable for 3 (young) adults in the back for longer journeys. The width is the size of a Golf, not of a Passat / Ioniq / Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I doubt that the tread is a representative sample, but with such a high proportion of cancellations, I wonder will they open up the 1st to new registrations or offer them to people who applied too late earlier. Has anybody heard anything like this.

Also anybody have any idea when the reviewers are likely to get their hands on the production versions.

I still have my deposit down btw.

1st is still open for ordering afaik

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As far as I've heard, there are 400 1st cars allocated for Ireland, and they will fill all the reservations they can.
    If you cancel, then there is still a slot on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

unkel wrote: »
    1st is still open for ordering afaik

Yep, that was stated at the launch event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I didn't get to the launch event did they mention anything about when the press would get to test drive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I didn't get to the launch event did they mention anything about when the press would get to test drive them.

They are hoping January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Anyone know when the car will be available to see at local dealers?

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Anyone know when the car will be available to see at local dealers?

There will be cars in Ireland for the Euros next year, too late for anybody wanting a 1st but OK for subsequent orders

Isn't the car parked in town somewhere this weekend? You're not allowed to go inside though, but if you haven't seen it in the flesh yet, it could be worth your while. In fairness, it's a nice looking car.

unkel wrote: »
    Isn't the car parked in town somewhere this weekend? You're not allowed to go inside though, but if you haven't seen it in the flesh yet, it could be worth your while. In fairness, it's a nice looking car.

I think that was last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Which town ? There’s a lot of them across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm prepared to travel anywhere on the country to see one. I was out of the country last week when the one was on display in Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Deposit paid just now, reservation confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Cancelled my reservation this week as I bought a model 3 instead not much difference in price between a max and a model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

sk8board wrote:
    to be fair to the OP, the 35min wasn't a common occurrence, and its only 150-160km journey to begin with, however I value my time more than anything. I assume we all do, and that's 35min extra on a 90-100min journey.
    The point is it's extra 20 minutes. Not extra 35 minutes. (35 vs 15).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

jordan191 wrote: »
    Cancelled my reservation this week as I bought a model 3 instead not much difference in price between a max and a model 3

If you buy a model 3, how long for delivery?

gooner99 wrote: »
    If you buy a model 3, how long for delivery?

You'd be better off asking that over in the Model 3 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

You'd be better off asking that over in the Model 3 thread.

I ordered in early June, picked up Mid November but currently they're saying 3 months

Met another couple of people today who are cancelling ID.3 pre-orders, due to the "low spec" of the ID.3 1st Edition.

Was an interesting discussion, one of them was driving a Kona Electric.
    The now available Kona Electric Premium will probably cost €42,000 after delivery charges versus the ID.3 1st Plus at €45,000.

For the price difference, it looks like you get a very comparable car, about 30km less range (at WLTP) but you do at least get adaptive cruise control.
    The Kona does come with a heat pump which is a plus over the ID.3. Kona also has a wireless phone charger.
    Having sat in both, the ID.3 has a much nicer interior and faster rapid charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Having sat in and driven the Kona I seriously have to believe the ONLY reason it’s selling is because of the range.

Other than that it’s a horrendously bland and cheap feeling car.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

L-M wrote: »
    Having sat in and driven the Kona I seriously have to believe the ONLY reason it’s selling is because of the range.

I didn't think it was bad. Almost all cars outside high end exotica are pillar to pillar plastics. Quibbling over the quality of plastics seems to me a bit odd, it doesn't really affect my appreciation of the car.

Lumen wrote: »
    I didn't think it was bad. Almost all cars outside high end exotica are pillar to pillar plastics. Quibbling over the quality of plastics seems to me a bit odd, it doesn't really affect my appreciation of the car.

Quality of the interior is probably one of the things that most affects my appreciation of a car. The ID.3 has a very open interior and feels spacious. The Kona by comparison felt very closed in with the strange ledge in the middle and the hidden under storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

L-M wrote: »

Agreed.

At a recent EV owners meet we had a new Ioniq, Kona, Soul, e-Niro and Zoe.

The Kona had the worst interior by a country mile. Its like a toy car inside.

Advertisement