Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lumen wrote: »
    I didn't think it was bad. Almost all cars outside high end exotica are pillar to pillar plastics. Quibbling over the quality of plastics seems to me a bit odd, it doesn't really affect my appreciation of the car.

I wasn’t quibbling about the plastics, it’s just generally not a nice place to be in.

I would love to see what percentage of Kona were registered to companies first time (I’m sure Electrics would be a high percent of Company buyers anyway) but you would really want to just care about range/bik to buy one.

The road noise in the Kona was particularly bad I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

liamog wrote: »

For the price difference, it looks like you get a very comparable car, about 30km less range (at WLTP) but you do at least get adaptive cruise control.
    The Kona does come with a heat pump which is a plus over the ID.3. Kona also has a wireless phone charger.

The heat pump gets me, seams to be pointed out as a downside when a car doesn't have it. Unless it's a Tesla :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Stealthirl wrote: »
    The heat pump gets me, seams to be pointed out as a downside when a car doesn't have it. Unless it's a Tesla :confused:

Tesla is affected by bad weather same way as any ev. But because it is Tesla nobody is really complaining. And BTW I would love to get one if I could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Tesla is affected by bad weather same way as any ev. But because it is Tesla nobody is really complaining. And BTW I would love to get one if I could afford it.

There seem to be a lot of people complaining recently on the model 3 thread. I think as they sell more to less enthusiastic people they will be treated more critically.

I also would love one, maybe when the start building in Europe. Although hopefully by then the crowd will have caught up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hey All, some people may have gotten an survey from VW Ireland (although URL says UCDbusiness for some reason!?!?)
    Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to share our answers so we can have an idea of what VW Ireland are seeing in terms of feedback, also a bit disappointing that the parent VW are not taking a more active approach with pre-bookers, I have felt this from the start, that engagement is awfully low and no 'special feeling' of being a pre-booker, a missed opportunity for them I think.

Answers:
    1. Which of the three models of the ID.3 1st Editions did you prefer? Max
    2. Which of the four colour options of the ID.3 1st Edition did you prefer? Moonstone Grey
    3. How did you like our Venue Weston Airport? Average
    4. What did you think of the catering? Good
    5. How would you rate the workshop sessions? Average
    6. Overall how would you rate the event? Average
    7. Is it likely that you will go ahead and order an ID.3 1st in 2020? Undecided
    8. If undecided at present please tell us why: I want max edition but the price is too much, I would prefer Tesla Model 3 SR instead of Max, if max was 45k I would buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

L-M wrote: »
    I wasn’t quibbling about the plastics, it’s just generally not a nice place to be in.

I would love to see what percentage of Kona were registered to companies first time (I’m sure Electrics would be a high percent of Company buyers anyway) but you would really want to just care about range/bik to buy one.

Out of their 1086 sold year to date:

502 private customer sales
    462 company sales
    71 lease company sales
    23 demonstrators / courtesy cars etc
    20 rentals
    8 semi state registrations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

RedorDead wrote: »
    Out of their 1086 sold year to date:

502 private customer sales
    462 company sales
    71 lease company sales
    23 demonstrators / courtesy cars etc
    20 rentals
    8 semi state registrations

Is that information publicly available for all cars? I wonder what % of cars are private sales in general?

Stealthirl wrote: »

A heat pump isn't very effective anyway below 5 deg C anyway and when pre heating not plugged into the mains electrics use pure restive heating anyway which also doesn't show up in the cars consumption so for instance if an EV is showing average 20 Kwh/100 km in reality it's probably a lot higher because of all the pre-heating.

Cold air takes more energy to push through add to that wind and wet roads and a battery that takes longer to charge when it's cold at a fast charger.

Met another couple of people today who are cancelling ID.3 pre-orders, due to the "low spec" of the ID.3 1st Edition.

Was an interesting discussion, one of them was driving a Kona Electric.
    The now available Kona Electric Premium will probably cost €42,000 after delivery charges versus the ID.3 1st Plus at €45,000.

For the price difference, it looks like you get a very comparable car, about 30km less range (at WLTP) but you do at least get adaptive cruise control.
    The Kona does come with a heat pump which is a plus over the ID.3. Kona also has a wireless phone charger.
    Having sat in both, the ID.3 has a much nicer interior and faster rapid charging.

Faster DC charging if the battery is warm, it would be interesting to see how cold effects charging the id.3 because they must be using higher voltage to get to 100+ Kw ?

Cold increases internal resistance which prevents the battery taking a higher current but if the voltage is higher perhaps it can pull more watts in general, v x a = watts and all that, higher voltage same current = same watts etc.

380 volts x 120 amps = 45600 watts

600 volts x 76 amps - 45,600 watts

so if going higher voltage and current is the real limit with a cold battery then perhaps a cold id.3 battery can still achieve decent charge.

It will also be interesting to watch the charge curve, will it ramp down to 50 Kw at 50% ? all unknown but it will be interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Video...

Wasn't that a strange report? All giggly girl about the car. One thing struck me: "the armrests are amazing". WTF? The armrests are crap! Thin, too short sticks attached to the side of the seat.

Good to see test drives being done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wasn't that a strange report? All giggly girl about the car. One thing struck me: "the armrests are amazing". WTF? The armrests are crap! Thin, too short sticks attached to the side of the seat.

If you’ve ever driven a Transporter van with those armrests, they are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

L-M wrote: »
    If you’ve ever driven a Transporter van with those armrests, they are amazing.

I had a Multivan highline for a few years. 4 leather captains chairs with those armrests. I don't think they are amazing at all. They're too narrow and close to the body. The reach is too short and I ended up with just my elbow resting on it. My current car takes nearly my whole forearm, at just the right height. Much more comfortable on a long journey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

He's not the most professional of youtubers, that's part of his charm.
    There is a two day event, today is the Germans, tomorrow will be some of the more established English speaking press.

I think Bjorn is invited to tomorrows session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Sat in this in Berlin last weekend. Was hoping I liked it more than I did. Butt ugly from behind, fairly cramped and almost too barren inside.

Can't argue with the tech however. Also hopped into the mk8 golf, fairly futuristic and minimalistic inside, but prefer the 7.5 myself. Decent looker however.

Nothing particularly new from the interview dispelled some of the weirder myths I've seen floating around.
    The only thing that may be disappointing to some is that app control is only available on the Plus and Max models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

A heat pump isn't very effective anyway below 5 deg

Only quoting a bit but i was referring to posts that people should avoid the e-Soul because it lacks a heat pump here, but no one mentions the lack of a heat pump in a Tesla as a reason to not buy one.
    Personally the lack of one wouldn't put me off a car.
    I set my temp to 18c and if not preheated sure the restive heating use's up some power but when it's up to temp it's mostly the HP pulling 3-500w with the restive coming on the odd time. drove home this morning in -2 like that

I keep the temp to 22 or 23 deg, not going to skimp on heat and I've no HP in the i3 Rex.

People think their kwh/100 km reading is accurate but it does not take into account preheating off the mains and that doesn't use the heat pump.

I preheat several times a day usually and keep the heat on if I nip into shops for not more than about 10 mins.

At the end of the day the heat pump isn't the be-all and end-all and it won't be of much use in really cold weather when you need it the most anyway.

The likes of i3 Rex, Tesla and Kona owners couldn't give a stuff whether their car has a hp or not anyway.

• Advertisement

An article from the test drive day, the writer currently drives a Kona. https://onewedge.com/2019/12/14/test-drive-volkswagen-id-3/?fbclid=IwAR0sA4pB_JF1a72pOey8ZwIl62ieKPRbehdvkppfj94uli6_4lkPRfHy1MA
    One thing that should make Mad_Lad happy
    While a lot of the testers were surprised by the acceleration (nought to a hundred in 7,5″) I and the other 3 people who already drive an electric were hardly so: these specs match the Kona’s, although I appreciated better traction due to the rear-axle drive. I could not find different drive modes (if they exist, they must be buried under layer of menus), but I did stomp my right foot as hard as I could and the wheels did not spin (perfectly dry tarmac and good tires probably helped) as they do in Sports Mode in the Kona: despite almost identical timings, I suspect I would lose to this car in a drag race.

An article from the test drive day, the writer currently drives a Kona. https://onewedge.com/2019/12/14/test-drive-volkswagen-id-3/?fbclid=IwAR0sA4pB_JF1a72pOey8ZwIl62ieKPRbehdvkppfj94uli6_4lkPRfHy1MA
    One thing that should make Mad_Lad happy

Yep RWD is king, id.3 will sell very well , it should be good fun to drive, i3 fun ? who knows , I can't wait to test it anyway. I till haven't got a test drive in the i3 S.

It would be nice to see a hot hatch version, 250-300 Hp sports suspension etc.

Kona has too much power at the front, I couldn't handle it in damp and wet especially with low temps on Summer tyres.

Leaf 40 is a joke in the wet so I imagine the Kona to be worse, better tyres will help but it would still have poor grip.

I'd definitely find it very difficult to go from RWD to FWD.

I've seen reports that VW will badge their performance ID range as GTX. It's probably going to be a few years until the ID.3 GTX is available.

I've seen reports that VW will badge their performance ID range as GTX. It's probably going to be a few years until the ID.3 GTX is available.

And it will probably cost stupid money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And it will probably cost stupid money.

VW have got away with that since forever. A lot of people are prepared to pay a huge premium for a fast Golf. Always have been. Probably always will.

And if they get away with charging over the top, they should. It would not be responsible towards the share holders if they didn't maximise profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Ok so I only found this topic today and bit too much to read through 100 pages. I’ve lived in Ireland a while ago and with a potential move back next year I pre ordered an I’d.3 as well. Didn’t go to the event as I wasn’t in the country.
    Like everyone says though what are they doing with the pricing? I was expecting a sub 40k car with at least most of the options included.
    At the moment I think the only car to compare it to is the model 3. I don’t think it can be compared with much else on the market currently, as I think most would not consider buying/driving a Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe.
    While in Ireland BeV are grouped/taxed same as hybrids a lot of countries already don’t consider Hybrids “eco friendly” and have stopped any incentives/grants on them so we shouldn’t compare any of those either.
    So Tesla then.
    The 1st is the mid range model. If you buy a mid range Tesla it automatically comes at a higher spec than the base range. VW should do the same and make the plus version standard for the mid range (with the sub 40k price) maybe then I won’t cancel.
    Does VW really think a lot of people will pay €45-50k for this car when the model 3 is €49k and comes with similar/better spec +autopilot?
    Anyone know when final pricing will be announced?

flyguy wrote: »
    The 1st is the mid range model. If you buy a mid range Tesla it automatically comes at a higher spec than the base range. VW should do the same and make the plus version standard for the mid range (with the sub 40k price) maybe then I won’t cancel.

Well they won't, so you should cancel now and order your Tesla for €49,000 except it will cost you at least €55,000 if you want autopilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Autopilot is included standard even on the cheapest model. It’s the full autonomous driving (car following satnav, summon etc) that cost the extra €6k...

Then a steal at €49,000 go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Then a steal at €49,000 go for it.

You get a hell of a lot of VW for 49k. The base model 3 is no bargain. The Golf MK8 will still be a huge seller.

Advertisement