Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Continental tyres are self sealing so you don't need tyre sealant or an air compressor (unless you're very unfortunate to drive over a spike strip or something).

Rear speakers aren't a big issue, I drove my old Golf over the weekend and just noticed the speaker balance was closer to center rather than towards the front, no loss of "punch" or issues with volume since there's an extra speaker in the front compared to the likes of a Golf. Do you spend a lot of time in the back if your car? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is there a way of checking current charging rate, etc. via a webpage?

I've no access to the phone/app here in work, but I'd like to know where she is charging-wise during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

65k with all the options is mental for a VW hatchback.

But you can also pay 100k for a fully optioned Golf R. So maybe VW are hoping there are some wealthy insane people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Valid points Davey,but the nice man at vw has ordered me a tyre repair kit anyway because I for one will not be going out of my way/paying a premium to replace the tyres with self sealing ones when due.

Re speakers...I get annoyed when I have to turn up the volume more than I like for the benefit of test passengers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

That should read rear passengers btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

I hear you, it was just back in the early days id owners were sold a car based a lot on the design features of a thing called IQ lights, it made up a large part of the vw marketing campaign.

Now they have abandoned that (unless you pay) and are charging 65k according to Mr Q’s detailed post for a car that was around €41k. That’s a €24k price increase in two years (but are low balling on Tour trade ins). The move away from the original usp and price is what I find unbelievable. That is what put the Tesla on the menu for us. 39 or 46k for the m/y at the time. The new Y landed left a saving of €19,000 over the €65k id3.

I had to do a 420km trip on Tuesday with no access to superchargers so took the id3, it was the perfect car for the job, travel assist really helps to reduce fatigue. Great car, quiet, fast and +420km range even above motorway speed limits.

There was a time a I5 was 38k, no doubt they are dearer too. It’s all about competition, new brands and choice are not something ev owners are used to, it’s taken a long time and change has happened fast. There was no vast selection 3 years ago, until the kona opened things up.

It’s just disappointing to see vw reduce the useability and spec of a car and drive up pricing whilst another manufacturer with an extremely good product is lowering the price and adding more useability and features every couple of months through a flawless ota system of updates.

Lots of great cars out there now and choice is a good. Adunis is proof that if you don’t want to get totally burned by another brand changing up, vw offer a choice, 9k for a new car is a no brainer and well wear 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gal22

Done that trip about 10 times in 58kw ID3 (Galway City to near Dub airport). Yeah have mostly stopped in Enfield eastbound, and a 45 min top up usually gets me home without another stop. Once in dead of winter, needed to stop at Galway plaza Kiltullagh for quick top up to get rest of way home. A couple of times had enough to get to Dublin and back out to Enfield Westbound.

There is also a 50kw charger just of Lucan exit, Lucan shopping centre that is a good option I've used once.

They are generally my three go to options and I'll keep an eye on availability and if charger is open I'll come off and go for it. Been pretty lucky with no waiting for charger required so far.

I keep the motorway speed at 110.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I wouldn't rely on that Lucan charger being free, always a queue for it, I live locally and do my shopping there. Unusual amount of taxi men at it during the day and others who have no option to home charge, spoke to a few in my early days of EV ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Rear speaker solution here using OEM parts but not cheap and would likely need coding to activate. Kufatec are very reputable and the end result will be as per factory fit. Might be worth it if you’re keeping your ID.3 for a while. https://www.kufatec.com/en/volkswagen/vw-id3/id3-e11/complete-set-of-rear-speakers-for-vw-id3-e11-45375

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ev fan

Going next week from Sligo to Belfast for a 2 day break and looking forward to it. I'm a bit iffy though about bringing the Ev (born) as I need to charge once at some stage. From what I can see chargers are very thin on the ground with one possibly suitable in Dungannon. This is an Esb charger so can I assume my RFID card will work north of the border? Also wondering if there are chargers available that I can use my credit card with? Anyone who has experience/ local info - I would much appreciate some advice - thank you in anticipation....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Well she arrived this morning after a little delay.

Is it a facelift? No granny charger in the boot which I thought would come.

It's like when you get a new phone, Setting up the apps and drivers. Connected it to the house wifi and all.

Came with 3.1 software but once connected to the house wifi asked to update to 3.2 which it did perfectly.

Arrived with 125 miles of range with 50% battery used. It's going to be perfect for the wife. Think I'm going to get rid of mine and get a longer range EV now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I think those wheel covers are the older model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Comer1

Not the face-lift model. It has little vents on the front to improve aerodynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

No not the facelift as the black plastic on the bonnet isn’t on the f/l plus the front bumper is different on the facelift. It also comes with 3.5 software.

congrats on the car and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Cheers, Its a company car so didn't know what was going to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What country are you in? Or did you edit the plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Granny could /should be under the boot floor. There's a little recess in there where it lives.

Congrats on the car though!

I didn't get a granny with the Born maybe they're ditching them.

• Advertisement

What year is your car? I got one with my 211 Superb iV I think I used it twice in 2 years.

That's a UK plate.

Granny cables: I got one with my old ID4 in 2021. Wife didn't get one with her Born last month.

@Soarer your ID3 was the outgoing model I think?

Maybe VW group have dropped them now to...err......"give more choice to the consumer" or something!

Maybe.

But the UK ID.3 above is the old model too, so should have it?!

Yea you're right - there goes that theory 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

wow thanks. Just did that return trip today, departed home at 100%, arrived Enfield 60ish and charged to 80 ish. And that got me Dublin and back to Galway with 35km 'in the tank'. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sigh, Enfield charger, one Applegreen and one ESB different sides of the car park, zero marking for the charge level on the applegreen so I took the ESB as I have their app. The applegreen seems to suport tap payment - good! Stopped at Ionity Ahtlone, packed but didn't need to charge.

Interesting - had my route home on the car nav. It warned me to stop to charge, but I was confident I was 30-40km buffer so I 'risked' it. What I found interesting was the map, auto updated my route twice to find a charger - normal. But after the second routing (5km from home) it just kept telling me to go to this one particular charger even thou there were open ones right next to me. It's like the software just gave up trying :)

That’s good to know.

There’s a one-touch app in the OBDeleven system that does the rear speaker installation. Assume once it’s done correctly, the fader* will go front to back as well as the current side to side?

* - for the pedants, I know it’s technically not a fader if it only goes side to side. But that’s what it’s called on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Yeah, I've said that re wipers, will reiterate.

Have failed the software update 3 times now, so I've asked for them to complete the service and return my car until they get their act together - it's still there 10 days on.

Skoda superb, manual....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Ye that’s messing mate, that happened to me with 2.4, gave me some sort of a small petrol skoda, which cost serious money to run given I haven’t had a fossil fuel car in 9 years and insurance cost me €20 to change.

I rang them on day 3 and they said it wasn’t taking the update, I requested an ev loaner, they didn’t have one so I took my car back. Then realised someone had tried to disconnect the dash cam by pulling the adhesive mount off the windscreen.

Second attempt worked, some months later. I didn’t care how long it took because they gave me a stripped out id4 174, Spartan and lacking in power but an ev. Service was excellent this time and service girl was helpful, I believe she has now left western…put me on the garage insurance too.

When your booking in again insist on an ev loaner 👍🏻

Bosch aero twin ap30u for the wipers if they mess you about.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

I have 18inch continental ecocontact6 tyres on my ID3. Anybody know if they are self sealing in the event of puncture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Advertisement