Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If it's a second car for local journeys (and you do low mileage) the range wouldn't be an issue. It's a nicer car to drive. With real buttons.

If it's your only car and/or you do longer journeys more often. Then the ID3 or something with longer range is a no brainer.

Another issue is software and Apps. eGolf has effectively no remote software. You do everything on the car.

Though if you go ID3 or similar then you have to look at the quality of the software, the phone apps etc. your not just testing the car for testing the software and infrastructure. The Tesla is best in class at this. VW not so much. You'd have to check is the ID3 on the latest software considering the hassle some have had getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks for all of that - great food for thought - much appreciated- I’m probably still at two minds - I don’t want to spend heaps of money on something I don’t need (I have a diesel for long journeys) - I think the best thing to do is take the golf for a test drive and see then- just need to get the time - likely won’t be for another week or so - I’ll know better then - golf is a lovely car btw so not knocking it at all - if it had just 50 or 60 more range with same price I’d probably buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

yep, have the menu on screen and that what i do - but the wife plugged it in. after 4 years of owning an ev i've only just started to get her to plug the thing in, using the charge menu might be another 12months away.

to be fair, if you're at home and have locations set up the default option should be to charge on schedule, not charge immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's very hit and miss I always check before I plug in. That's where my owl monitor is very handy if I forget to check it'll show the 7kw draw.

I can understand hammering a battery with 40-100kw on a regular basis might have an impact on battery degradation..

But 3.6 Vs 7kw will that really make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

I have issues with 3.2 and charging as well. In my case it seems the Zappi is not starting to charge the car when I wanted showing the “charge delayed”. I have to wake up the car in order to start charging. This was not happening before the update

I'm wondering that too, maybe somebody could enlighten us.

I think it's regular DC charging above 22kw. Dunno though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

I had the same after the upgrade. There’s a quick fix which involves pulling out a fuse to reset the charger, see https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120825501#Comment_120825501

I will try do this to see if it helps. Quite annoying at the moment… Thanks for your suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭denismc

Is there anyway to update the car's status in the app? It only seems to update when the car is started or when charging starts or finishes.

With the Hyundai app you can check the status as often as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

well after trying for months to get 3.2 upgrade, finally got it. And to no surprise the software goes 1 step forward 10 steps back.

so now I can’t charge on the night rate from 2-3. Wallbox says no signal from car. Non issue before update.

so i have know tried:

• Setting charge time from 2-5
    • Setting departure time at both 2 and 5
    • Removing the 10 amp fuse for a few minutes and re-inserting it

none works. Only thing that works is to wake up at 2 and start the aircon from the app. This takes the car 15 minutes to recognise and start and charging then starts. Also went out at 2 in the morning unplugged and pluggedcar in and it started up.

is there anything else that can be done? Im ringing dealer tomorrow anyways.

I removed the fuse as recommended before and it worked for me. Check my previous comment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Yeah didn’t work for me. Vw says something went wrong with 3.2 install and theyll try again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Ok I don't know if there works or ever worked or its just me. Parked at home as saved location, rule is charge to 80% for departure tomorrow at 9am and 0-50% to 50%. I was at 46% plugged in charges as it should, expecting it to shut off since the 50-80 portion would not start for a while given the departure of 9am ( started session 6pm ) and away it goes to 52% charging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭staples7

How did this software get signed off, it’s like a leaving cert programming project 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Had the same. and as i wrote above it doesn't like changing from immediate to timed charging by the app.

Have since discovered the car also doesn't like switching from immediate to timed charging on the drop down menu either.

The car just doesn't handle stopping charging and restarting it later.

In my case the work around is to first select 'stop charging' allow the car to sort that out and then select 'scheduled charging' either by app or drop down menu. Make it into two discrete operations if that makes sense. not ideal but that works.

I have the keyless acess, so when I place my hand on the door handle with the key in my pocket.

Latley I have noticed I appraoch, place hand and no unlock - I know it was a bit iffy in rain, but dry and not unlocking, the car clearly see's the keys as it does it little light awake thing, and when I place my hand on the door I kinda hear something but just doesnt unlock.

Anyone have this?

The key might need a new battery, they don't last long in my experience!

Did you try re-pairing the key with the car? Put it in the first cup holder (the one with the symbol on bottom) and press the start button (it might need 3 presses I can't remember exactly!)

Does the spare key work ok?

• Advertisement

Tried this, seems to be back working again. The battery was changed back in October but in that case the dash gave me a warning. Will keep an eye - car's first service is next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Anyone have any issue with the sensitivity of the emergency braking system?

It's activated itself a few times recently when we were nowhere near anything?

Can it be dialled down or turned off? Even using something like OBDEleven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Driving on open road or parking? My cupra, presumably using same system, has made me feel like I've crashed when parking the odd time. Big slam on brakes and makes a thud

I think ice gathering on the front sensors confuses the system leading to that type of behaviour. I had an early morning trip on Thursday and I kept getting the, front assist limited message appearing and disappearing it was between -6 and -3°

have you had the 3.2 update? That improved it a lot for me. It still ‘hallucinates’ occasionally, like when reversing into my driving which is on a hill. It’s like it sees the sloped driveway as a wall and drops anchor.

I’ve gotten used to it and find that slightly touching the brake while reversing prevents it.

It’s saved me from reversing into low walls and rocks, so has its benefits too, even if the sudden stop felt like I hit something!

found the same this week. The affected assist systems are switched off when that happens to avoid mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Saved me a couple of times too! Including with pedestrians walking behind the car while I was reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭denismc

It's ice and also from all the salt and grit on the roads at the moment.

I had a similar issue with my I5 a few weeks ago when the active cruise control stopped working, gave the windshield a good clean with glass cleaner and the problem went away immediately.

I'm actually glad to see the rain it'll wash away that gunge they're putting on the road it's destroying cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 onewordlowercase

Looking at a new ID.3 at the moment. Got decent PCP pricing on a Pro 58kW today but after digging online I found an October 2023 price list and I'm reconsidering. It seems like an awful lot has been stripped out to bring the price down for January 2024.

Pic attached shows the missing equipment. It makes the base Cuppa Born look like an even better deal.

I've left a message with my dealer to confirm but do any of you know if the base trim really has been stripped this badly? Very mean of them to take away the heated seats!

Advertisement