Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

DrPhilG wrote: »
    2 years? I just had my i3 end of warranty check in October, when the car turned 3 years old.

Oops, apologies, 3 years. I wouldn't mind only I was recently thinking whether to extend the warranty in February or not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Well now if indeed 35k comes to pass we have a clear winner in the value for money stakes,new Ioniq is just a non starter and the new Zoë is now actually an expensive car.
    Have all the new "old" ioniqs been snapped up yet I wonder.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Oops, apologies, 3 years. I wouldn't mind only I was recently thinking whether to extend the warranty in February or not. :D

Warranty crap alright

Does the 8 year cover the expensive bit's like battery, motor, inverter, controller, charge port etc?

2 year, electric windows, tablet etc ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In terms of warranty it's basically the standard approach for VW. It doesn't seem to affect their normal sales so not sure why it would affect the ID.3.

One thing that is different on the ID.3 is the service level, they require a service every 2 years with no mileage requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

KCross wrote: »
    Some interesting points in this vid from a VW Q&A session:

Some highlights
    - Alot more than 30k of the 1st editions will be made!
    - Showed an Ionity charge session. Charging at 66kW @ 70% SoC. Averaged close to 91kW for the session
    - 1st edition will do 0-100km/h in ~7.5s with 150kW motor
    - Standard model will do it in 9.5s with only a 110kW motor! :(
    You can option in the 150kW motor so will be interesting to see what the premium for that is
    - All demo cars so far have dual zone climate but he wasnt sure if that requires "comfort climate package" or not.
    - You need "comfort climate package" for pre-heat without plugging in. That will be an important option, imo, will be watching the price of that.
    - Data plan in 1st edition included, but you can use your own Wifi too for Spotify etc
    - It will heat/cool the battery to maximise charge speed like Tesla do.
    - 2yr warranty, 3yr on paint(12yr rust), 8yr battery, 6yr Over-the-air updates.
    I'm surprised they are sticking with a general 2yr warranty. Thats quite low these days.
    - Service every 2yrs... unlimited mileage. So, drive it at much as you like and only service it every 2yrs. Thats good!

Strange they are on NMC 622 cells, battery improvements not ready yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Kramer wrote: »

Interesting we're now looking at €35k for a decently specked ID3 1st. Glad I kept my hat in the ring.
    I could have sworn people on here said it was €40k & cancelled their reservations as a result :confused:.

I was one of those. I fear I jumped the gun though and I've just pre-ordered again after reading through the brochure. It's closer now to what I initially expected, whereas the reports coming out a few months ago were suggesting 40k and worse specification for the 1st base version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Does anyone know if the 35k euro price quoted includes delivery and metallic paint. The broucher doesn't mention it so I'd assume not?

So would it likely be closer to 37k on the road then?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd expect the paint is included what ever colour you want. Maybe 1200 extra for delivery, 3yr service plan and roadside assistance.

I'm interested in what this id3 pro power s version is going to be priced like with the 550km range. Suppose we'll know shortly.

Screenshot-20191226-112956.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If there is no solid paint (non-metallic) choice, then I'd expect metallic paint is included in the price. If there is a (cheap skate) solid paint choice, then I expect that to be the default, with metallic an optional extra. Same as in most other cars.

I'm quite excited myself to find out how much the base version (non first edition) will retail for in Ireland. Might be under the €28k mark (after the €10k subsidy). Unfortunately, still just a small car on the inside (Golf size) and not the Passat size they promised, so not suitable for 5 person families :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    If there is no solid paint (non-metallic) choice, then I'd expect metallic paint is included in the price. If there is a (cheap skate) solid paint choice, then I expect that to be the default, with metallic an optional extra. Same as in most other cars.

The 1st edition brochure shows 4 colour choices, one of which is not listed as metallic (moonstone grey) so I'd bet that metallic and delivery charges need to be added to the €35k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

KCross wrote: »
    The 1st edition brochure shows 4 colour choices, one of which is not listed as metallic (moonstone grey) so I'd bet that metallic and delivery charges need to be added to the €35k.

I can’t remember where but I saw feedback from french prebookers where there was a typical extra charge for metallic paint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just catching up on this thread and the ID.3 1st is suddenly interesting again. A question on a part of EVs that I'm still not great on - what will the real-world difference of 11kW versus 7.4kW charging be?

And the "performance upgrade" they're talking about - is that the 150kW motor, yeah? If so, what's the bhp difference between the 110kW and 150kW? I know that's not a great indicator for BEVs but still.

Does anybody know when pre-bookers need to make a final decision? Like the actual order at the dealers and no more cancelling? Will financing be finalised by this point? While €35k does seem good, an extra couple of percent if you're financing the car would make a lot of difference.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just catching up on this thread and the ID.3 1st is suddenly interesting again. A question on a part of EVs that I'm still not great on - what will the real-world difference of 11kW versus 7.4kW charging be?

And the "performance upgrade" they're talking about - is that the 150kW motor, yeah? If so, what's the bhp difference between the 110kW and 150kW? I know that's not a great indicator for BEVs but still.

Does anybody know when pre-bookers need to make a final decision? Like the actual order at the dealers and no more cancelling? Will financing be finalised by this point? While €35k does seem good, an extra couple of percent if you're financing the car would make a lot of difference.

That's 201 Hp VS 147, that's going to make a notable difference.

11 Kw vs 7.4 Kw = roughly 11 Kwh vs 7.4 Kwh in 1 hr or 22 Kwh vs 14.8 Kwh in 2 hrs , that's also going to be noticeable. In 3 hrs that's 33 Kwh vs 22 Kwh also going to be noticeable.

what will the real-world difference of 11kW versus 7.4kW charging be?

If you dont have access to a 3 phase charger at work or if you dont use the public slow chargers it will be irrelevant to you.

If you think you might be using them its worth considering, depending on how much they charge for it and how often you might use it.

And the "performance upgrade" they're talking about - is that the 150kW motor, yeah?

I think "the performance version" has not yet been revealed but the 110kW-->150kW upgrade is also a performance upgrade. Again, hard to tell if its worth it without knowing pricing and test driving it and what type of driving you do.
    Does anybody know when pre-bookers need to make a final decision? Like the actual order at the dealers and no more cancelling?

April apparently

Will financing be finalised by this point? While €35k does seem good, an extra couple of percent if you're financing the car would make a lot of difference.

VW have their own bank, Im sure it will!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's been very quiet on the Seat el Born front lately but the information available suggests it'll be a 58kWh battery and 150kW motor. I'm sure there'll be style variants from there but essentially equivalent to the ID.3 1st. You'd have to guess there'll be €1k-€2k between them on badge alone. Obviously there's personal preference in style and manufacturer etc but, to me, the only advantage the VW has is that it'll be available sooner. One to weigh up, I think. I may throw down a deposit to keep my options open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

is the id 3 on display anywhere in ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There was a pre-bookers event last month at Weston airport, and the ID.3 was on display in Dublin City centre.
    As far as I know, the next confirmed visit will be the Euro 2020 games, the ID.3 is the official car of the tournament.

If there is another opportunity to see one in Ireland it will be posted on this thread pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

liamog wrote: »
    There was a pre-bookers event last month at Weston airport, and the ID.3 was on display in Dublin City centre.
    As far as I know, the next confirmed visit will be the Euro 2020 games, the ID.3 is the official car of the tournament.

If there is another opportunity to see one in Ireland it will be posted on this thread pretty quickly.

Thanks. Really need a few demos...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

Are they still taking pre orders?
    I thought they were full ages ago.

Website looks like it's still open.

Summer delivery is vague.... any actual dates yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

PATJOE wrote: »
    Are they still taking pre orders?
    I thought they were full ages ago.

Website looks like it's still open.

Summer delivery is vague.... any actual dates yet?

At the launch event I was told that only about 20 bookings had been cancelled. I think he meant that 20% of bookings hadn't been cancelled... yet. :D

• Advertisement

If you were to believe the papers there's not enough EV's to go around this year with demand. If VW can't get 200/300 reservations for this the whole EV gig is up.

If you were to believe the papers there's not enough EV's to go around this year with demand. If VW can't get 200/300 reservations for this the whole EV gig is up.

Your logic is faulty. For sure there is going to be plenty of demand for EVs. But not at any price. Very few people are going to fork out €40k for an EV that can be bought as a petrol version for €20k (i.e. Hyundai Kona)

The base version of the launch edition is now not going to be as eye wateringly priced as expected before but it's still pricey for a base spec car.

Once VW can sell a base ID.3 with a reasonable range for €27-28k here (base Golf diesel money), they will fly out the window. Mark my words. Unfortunately that seems not to be until 2021...

Are manufacturers really going to slash costs so drastically on such a new product just for Ireland. The government has signalled a few times recently that grants will end here. They may continue in Germany and other EU countries for years. Now's a good time to buy.

It was this article I was referring to https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/motorists-eyeing-switch-to-electric-vehicles-face-year-long-tailback-amid-huge-demand-38828555.html

Looks like Cunningham has been talking to people in the know. Can't see those forecasts being far off.

It begs the question why can you still get an id3 though, it should be sold out especially with the better than expected price. I doubt Tesla's waiting list stretches into next year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I think that they have decided to make a lot more id3 firsts than they had originally planned. One of the youtubers who got a test drive claimed he was told this, but wouldn't say how many.

My guess is that it the delivery date has slipped due to software issues, so they are making more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I never got this pre order idea, even if it is refundable. I will order a car once I have its final specs and have either test driven it and/or seen enough reviews of the final product.

Neither are available to me so why would I pre order something I don't know I want. I really want a Tesla Model 3 now but I would never have put down a deposit on one without the above. I would imagine most people are similar.

Tesla have a lot of preorders for their products but I believe this comes down to 1) their fanbase, 2) their concepts being radically different than current tech and 3) price / performance ratio.

The ID3 is basically an electric Golf and will as such appeal to this type of person. Golfs being "sensible realiable" cars (at least seen as such), generally have sensible reliable owners (like me ha :p ) who I'm not sure would put down a deposit for an mostly unseen, untested, unreviewed and unknown delivery date car.

BKtje wrote: »
    I never got this pre order idea, even if it is refundable. I will order a car once I have its final specs and have either test driven it and/or seen enough reviews of the final product.

And we've seen enough of these pre order ideas now to know that they are nothing but a gimmick, a free marketing spiel.

Unless having to pre-order means that it's the only chance to get a car early (turned out mostly not to be the case) or it's the only way to get a car a lot cheaper than people who wait (turns out not to be the case either with cars, although it is the USP of pre-ordering many a crowd funded product)

BKtje wrote: »
    I never got this pre order idea, even if it is refundable.

Its so you can be the first person on the forum to say "I've got mine and its brilliant, so there!" :P :D

I guess in the case of the ID.3 you will get the car 6-12 months earlier than everyone else. Personally the higher price with no great choice in spec isnt worth the earlier delivery. I'll happily wait till 211 for one that I spec myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

What higher price?

Advertisement