Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

pdpmur wrote: »
    From what I have read it sounds like the paddy-spec 1st will be the bog basic version though, with one or two "extras" thrown in (that probably cost VW next to nothing anyway, like the uprated electric motor)

What are the chances of influencing Irish 1st spec at this stage?

For me the new fancy CO2 heat pump would be top priority of must-haves, given our prevailing temperatures. It would give such an easy real-world range gain.

Heat pump is a €1089 option on e-golf. I wonder how many e-golfs had this option ticked?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Heat pump is a €1089 option on e-golf. I wonder how many e-golfs had this option ticked?

Probably not a lot. Does the testing cycle award extra range to cars with heat pumps? There's seems to be only one quoted range, suggesting that there is no marketing gain from including heat pumps.

In the case of the 1st edition, many of the purchasers will be quite savvy and surely the last thing that VW wants is a load of purchasers with buyers remorse complaining to all and sundry that they paid too much. VW badly needs to generate some sort of positive vibe around the car, especially when there will be a load of other entrants to the market fairly soon with possible downward pressure on prices. Really useful extra features on the 1st would definitely help to increase its feel-good factor imho. Stuff like extra badging and play and pause markings on the pedals - what are the VW marketing gurus thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Probably not a lot. Does the testing cycle award extra range to cars with heat pumps? There's seems to be only one quoted range, suggesting that there is no marketing gain from including heat pumps.

In the case of the 1st edition, many of the purchasers will be quite savvy and surely the last thing that VW wants is a load of purchasers with buyers remorse complaining to all and sundry that they paid too much. VW badly needs to generate some sort of positive vibe around the car, especially when there will be a load of other entrants to the market fairly soon with possible downward pressure on prices. Really useful extra features on the 1st would definitely help to increase its feel-good factor imho. Stuff like extra badging and play and pause markings on the pedals - what are the VW marketing gurus thinking?
    It’s a 2s upgrade (9.5s 150hp vs 7.5s 204hp), 11kW AC charging and €600/2000kWh worth of charging, not just badges. But we need to see the actual spec not just rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

It’s a 2s upgrade (9.5s 150hp vs 7.5s 204hp), 11kW AC charging and €600/2000kWh worth of charging, not just badges. But we need to see the actual spec not just rumours.

I take your point, these are genuinely useful, but most of these cost VW very little in marginal terms.
    (a) the 2s upgrade is just a software change as all cars get the same motor unit
    (b) 11kW charger very useful but may become standard in all cars. Again quite possibly the same physical unit, given the VW philosophy.
    (c) how much of the allowance will most users actually consume in the year given the few stations currently in the country within the Ionity/WeCharge tent?

What's the number one question on most non-ev owners lips? How could VW help move itself towards the top of the pile on the question of range? A top-notch real world range would give 1st owners some real bragging rights and thus positive spin for the company. VW needs some top-notch products to avoid getting squeezed by Tesla on the high end and upcoming chinese manufacturers on the low end.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭WattsUp

I canceled my ID.3 booking about 2 weeks back but still not sign of deposit refunded. Has anyone else canceled ? How long did refund take ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

WattsUp wrote: »
    I canceled my ID.3 booking about 2 weeks back but still not sign of deposit refunded. Has anyone else canceled ? How long did refund take ?

I cancelled mine Tuesday, have it today. Says 10 working days so I'd be contacting them if 2 weeks have passed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

From what I have read it sounds like the paddy-spec 1st will be the bog basic version though, with one or two "extras" thrown in (that probably cost VW next to nothing anyway, like the uprated electric motor)

What are the chances of influencing Irish 1st spec at this stage?

For me the new fancy CO2 heat pump would be top priority of must-haves, given our prevailing temperatures. It would give such an easy real-world range gain.

I don’t think paddy spec term applies here, VW is trying to stamp out 30k+ vehicles and my guess is that’s easier & quicker if they’re all the same spec. So everyone in Europe is getting paddy spec?
    When I saw the pricing of the higher spec ID.3 1st (plus/max) only confirms this thinking. I mean who would pay 7k/14k more for those options, they’re clearly not worth that much. Also what are you really missing on the base one? For me maybe a size bigger wheels, but I don’t like any of the wheel designs so I’ll stick with the base ones, then the panoramic roof is a nice option, but don’t mind not having it, head-up display is a nice gimmick as well but again can do without it. There’s not much else in the plus/max package that I need on the car, so why wait? Yes the badges and pedals are silly, but don’t really care. When VW said we should expect base at €40k with nothing I was sure I was going to cancel, but now I know what you’re getting and for €35k I think VW got it right. I mean what else are you gong to buy? A comparable leaf cost more, never liked those anyway and even if you are a fan you must admit the finish/materials are still inferior to the equivalent offers from Germany...
    I assume you’ve seen this: https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/id/ID-3-1st-e-booklet.pdf

Edit, about the heat pump, only familiar with those for homes so geo-thermal and air-2-air. Would think they’d be air-2-air then in a car? Anyway in a home with massive subsidies you make that investment back in about 7-10 years and that’s the pump being used all the time. In comparison we spend very little time in a car, I doubt you’d make that investment back. If it’s range you’re after I’d guess spending the extra € you’d spend on a heat pump and spend it on a bigger battery will give more value/range for money...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

flyguy wrote: »
    I know what you’re getting and for €35k I think VW got it right. I mean what else are you gong to buy?

A RWD long range Mustang for 5k more is what I'd buy, you'd have the pana roof, decent sound system and nearly 200km more range. ID is 35k after grants and the Mustang is 50k before grants possibly. We probably won't know for definite until Irish orders start in maybe may.

From other EU countries where the price for the Mach-e is already known it seems if we convert to Irish prices the base Mach-e will cost around the same as a base model-3, also from what I can find on google the €50k quoted by ford includes grants, that’s 15k more. The range of the base Mach-e is 450km, hardly 200km more... I said before if the ID.3 was going to be more expensive I’d probably get a model 3, but yeah the Mach-e is nice as well. When we go Mach-e (not base model) money I’d probably get the polestar;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

I've only come to this late, but have been doing my own research.

BEV attractive to me for no Benefit in Kind.
    However the €50,000 threshold is on OMV and VRT rebates or Grants can't be used to reduce the OMV of the car.
    So only the base model at OMV of €45000 qualifies, anything else is pro rata over the 50k threshold.

Scandinavian & Nordic countries, all models seem to have the heat pump as standard.
    It seems the heat pump is included in the ID.3 MAX specification model in France (also fitted in IS, FR, CH, AU).
    Given our climate less than 15ºC for 5 months of the year, I think we can knock a further 20% off that battery capacity.

UK only to receive the ID.3 Plus model (comes with a fitted alarm though, alarm also fitted in SE, GB, SK).
    Other regions seem to have different power cables/chargers supplied.

Seems to me there are specific specifications for specific regions, so much for the theory of limiting it to 3 specifications for production streamlining.
    There is no clear information on delivery (Summer 2020) with other European pre-bookers reporting an August/September start of delivery time frame from their importers.

Software issues, cars currently being built without fully functioning software, updated prior to delivery, "over the air" not ready yet, may require a final update on dealers premises before that functionality is available.

It seems lots of cars are being built and stored in rented storage spaces (open to elements). It is also interesting to note, the black "shiny" trims on front bonnet, roof and back window are all being heavily protected while the rest of the car is not, is this a hidden warning about the durability of the finishes in these areas of the car?.

There could be a few "discounted" models floating around after the Irish Euro 2020 events, apparently they will be using the ID.3 to ferry people to and from Euro 2020 events all across Europe.

Thoughts going through my mind ATM, Mini Electric €27k, e-Golf (€5000 off 1st feb) Orders for standard customisable ID.3s to begin in May with delivery Sept.
    Lots of interesting releases yet to come in the sub €50k bracket. I'm thinking it might be prudent to wait until 21/22 when there is some competition in the market and supplies have outpaced demand and most importantly, the bugs are all ironed out.

No doubt I'll weaken if I get offered a white ID.3 Max with delivery in June, but somehow I think I'll be left waiting and waiting until Sept/Oct and even then I might have to settle for a 2nd choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Am I wrong or does it look as though the 20" alloys on the ID.3 Max leave you with essentially no tyre? I assume the ride quality would be severely impacted.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Am I wrong or does it look as though the 20" alloys on the ID.3 Max leave you with essentially no tyre? I assume the ride quality would be severely impacted.

45 profile in the 20 inch rim as apposed to 55 profile in the 19 inch rim.
    Normally the overall wheel (rim and tyre) diameter does not change much from 18 inch to 20 inch and how it's achieved is by reducing the tyre wall height.

Less tyre wall height = harsher ride due to less flex in the tyre.
    Also a lower profile tyre is far more prone to damage by pot holes or bouncing it over kerbs.
    Something to consider given the state of our roads and lack of maintenance since 2009.

As said total wheel size (rim+tire) should remain fairly constant, otherwise they won’t fit the arches and the speedo will be off. So for every inch you go up you lose about half an inch of rubber/sidewall height.
    The 2nd number of the tire marking is the height of the sidewall in percentage of the with of the tire, so 225/45 is completely different sidewall height to 185/45.
    As much as I like big(ger) wheels in general, they won’t last in Ireland cause bad roads and in case of the ID3 I don’t think any of the wheels look nice. Std 18 will do for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Are they 45s on a 20 inch wheel?

Sounds big/decent.

A 17incj wheel on a Golf has a 45 tyre.

Oops!, my bad, 55 on 18", 50 on 19" and 45 on 20" rims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_ID.3

"It will be available in 3 different trim levels, namely ID.3 1st, ID.3 1st Plus and ID.3 1st Max. The battery size and powertrain will remain the same across all 3 trim levels, however there will be different levels of equipment, styling options and wheels. The wheels provided are: 18 in (460 mm) for ID.3 1st (215/55R18), 19 in (480 mm) for ID.3 1st Plus (215/50R19) and 20 in (510 mm) for ID.3 1st Max (215/45R20).

Looking at pictures there it does look like a 45 tyre. That’s impressive for a 20 inch wheel. Should be no real loss of comfort.

How can you tell by looking at a picture that the sidewall looks like a “45” tire?
    Tire width and diameter are exact figures, the second number in 215/45R20 is aspect ratio. 45 means the sidewall is 45% of the width (215). So a 45 tire doesn’t exist. because “45” on a tire 335 wide is a lot more than “45” on a tire 215 wide. Since 215 is quite narrow for a 20inch tire, 45% procent of that isn’t much.

They look to be a very low profile in the brochure picture :D
    But not so low in side on real life pictures.
    But we all know marketing makes everything look good :rolleyes:

ID3_Wheels.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

They look to be a very low profile in the brochure picture :D
    But not so low in side on real life pictures.
    But we all know marketing makes everything look good :rolleyes:

ID3_Wheels.jpg

They look like rubber bands on the alloys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Low-profile tyres on oversized "aerodynamic" wheels.

What the ugly giveth, the stupid taketh away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Lumen wrote: »
    Low-profile tyres on oversized "aerodynamic" wheels.

What the ugly giveth, the stupid taketh away.

The wheels on the max were always the biggest turn off for me.

I don't like the black and silver colour way, I thought they looked better solid white as per the concept car.
    I'd hate to be trying to keep them clean in white, drum brakes in the rear not so bad but the disks on the front would make a mess.

2560px-Geneva_International_Motor_Show_2018%2C_Le_Grand-Saconnex_%281X7A1688%29.jpg

flyguy wrote: »
    How can you tell by looking at a picture that the sidewall looks like a “45” tire?
    Tire width and diameter are exact figures, the second number in 215/45R20 is aspect ratio. 45 means the sidewall is 45% of the width (215). So a 45 tire doesn’t exist. because “45” on a tire 335 wide is a lot more than “45” on a tire 215 wide. Since 215 is quite narrow for a 20inch tire, 45% procent of that isn’t much.

Because traditionally one a 20 inch tyre it has a very, very small side wall. I just googled the ID max and the tyre is very noticeably larger than what you would see on a 20inch, which are usually 35s max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

https://electrek.co/2020/02/15/first-vw-id3-deliveries-in-the-uk-scheduled-for-late-march-faster-than-expected/

Does anybody have a handle on what this means. 35 seems like a ridiculously small number for a market the size of UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

I would guess that if the article is correct, the 35 cars are for UK VW showrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

35 is just for that dealer there's 1500 coming, has anyone actually ordered one yet though? I knows there's deposits down but have the UK had the chance to pick colour and spec?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

UK only gets a choice of colour and interior for the 1st Edition. They are only getting the ID.3 1st Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

https://electrek.co/2020/02/15/first-vw-id3-deliveries-in-the-uk-scheduled-for-late-march-faster-than-expected/

Does anybody have a handle on what this means. 35 seems like a ridiculously small number for a market the size of UK?

The source for this is a branch of the daily mail so I’m pretty sure it’s mostly poorly researched nonsense cobbled together from existing articles. I was in a VW dealers last week and they still had absolutely no firm information on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yes, sorry, I just did a quick google and this was the newest thing returned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only thing that's likely to be accurate in that article is the 1500 slots for pre order in the UK.

Advertisement