Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,610 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yea was looking at EV west, just been stareing at the price of this wondering would anybody be loony enough to pay it if I done something similar, https://edubconversions.co.uk/2019/02/19/200-mile-guaranteed-range-from-69020/
    Think I can get most of it together for less than 5k it's just the battery is the cost problem.
    I'll check out the x, I still think there another delorean though, more bad news again today.

Lots of people spending that sort of money for one off conversions in the USA (mainly California). The car prince Harry drove on his wedding day (mint Jag E-type converted to EV) costs about GBP500,000

On a tight budget, you need to DIY. Ireland's own Damien Maguire bought a BMW 3 series with a knackered diesel engine and converted it to EV for €1k all-in

Sabre Man wrote: »
    In addition the price is about €9 euro per kg, which is sufficient for driving about 100 km

That's roughly on a par with petrol / diesel and almost 10 times as expensive as an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

If you think that BEVs are expensive then FCVs would be several times more expensive, at least in the beginning if they even get started being mass produced by the car makers.

Waiting for hydrogen cars is a totally false hope, nothing going to happen for personal cars anytime soon.

Ignoring all the serious technological difficulties with storing hydrogen and very poor energy efficiency of the whole system and that currently H2 is overwhelmingly fossil fuel produced.

Hydrogen might work for ships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    redlead wrote: »
    So basically VW are doing what every other EV manufacturer are doing and releasing small batches of over priced cars despite all the promises. When I bought a Diesel 2 years ago I was sure that there would be a host of genuine family car alternatives by the 3 year mark. This is definitely not going to happen now. EV roll out is happening at a snails pace at this stage. Has anyone pointed out to the carbon tax brigade in the government that EV supply us virtually non existent? Realistically I'll be looking at an over priced Phev at this stage if I want to change.

I think that is a bit early to say.

The release model is 30k which are just for specific customers.

IN reality the main release is next year when all the battery options and trim options will be available. Then we can say if overpriced or not.

Your saying 2021 for non €40,000 special edition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mike9832 wrote: »

:confused:

How is
    IN reality the main release is next year when all the battery options and trim options will be available. Then we can say if overpriced or not.

2021?

:confused:

How is

2021?

But it's not out this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's the way I understood it, only the 1st editions will be getting one in 2020. Were the crash test dummies.

That's the way I understood it, only the 1st editions will be getting one in 2020. Were the crash test dummies.

Not according to VW and VW dealers. They said when the ID.3 1st is released and delivered, they would make the rest of the range available for people to buy. Also the dealers will get stock to sell.

But it's not out this year

This year is 2019

Next year is 2020

• Advertisement

But VW said 1st deleveries starting in mid/late 2020. Not much point paying over the odds for the 1st if you can get a normal one with bigger battery for cheaper at relatively the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

But VW said 1st deleveries starting in mid/late 2020. Not much point paying over the odds for the 1st if you can get a normal one with bigger battery for cheaper at relatively the same time.

But, you're getting a little badge on the outside that says 1st. Oh, and gimmick pedals: play and pause.:D

But, you're getting a little badge on the outside that says 1st. Oh, and gimmick pedals: play and pause.:D

I was hoping to flog it for a profit to someone who wants one in 2020....get myself a few plots of turf with the change:D

Hard to tell yet without the actual spec of the ID.3 1st. I would hope they have a higher spec on this car so if you buy the equivalent car after the 1st it will cost you more.

But no idea till they release details

You'd hope so VW need to do something special with the launch were after giving them a 30 million advance on a car we haven't even seen, augmented reality or a 1st badge wouldn't bother me would like the moon roof though and the longer range. Maybe could strike a deal with a dealer to flip it back when the other one lands, 550km would do me perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The inside looks tight enough, looks much smaller than a passat in the back and boot. The grey/white/black colour scheme is tacky and hopefully just pre-production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Yeah I hope the full reveal is a massive step up from the glimpses shows so far. Whether the like it or not VW are competing with Tesla model 3 with their limited edition ID.3 if they don't start impressing people will start pressing the refund button myself included

Davy wrote: »

The inside looks tight enough, looks much smaller than a passat in the back and boot.

He's 6'4 which probably doesn't help, doesn't look any bigger than a golf though and the Mk5 golf probably still has a wider back seat.

Acceleration feels a bit like a turbo diesel he said, doesn't give you that oomph.

Lots of legroom in the rear, also plenty of headroom for people not well over 6'. Not so sure about the width though. Looks similar to Ioniq maybe a bit smaller, that would be a deal breaker to me, boot looks similar in size to Ioniq

Bit mean that the 45kWh doesn't get 3 phase 11kW AC, but I can live with that

Cd 0.26 is as good as it gets in a car that doesn't look extremely aerodynamic

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Hard to tell yet without the actual spec of the ID.3 1st. I would hope they have a higher spec on this car so if you buy the equivalent car after the 1st it will cost you more.

But no idea till they release details

If it’s just the 1st badge ect il be taking a refund. What’s the point if it’s not a higher spec. Il keep the egolf for another while.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Lots of legroom in the rear, also plenty of headroom for people not well over 6'. Not so sure about the width though. Looks similar to Ioniq maybe a bit smaller, that would be a deal breaker to me, boot looks similar in size to Ioniq

Bit mean that the 45kWh doesn't get 3 phase 11kW AC, but I can live with that

Cd 0.26 is as good as it gets in a car that doesn't look extremely aerodynamic

Looks good in fairness

Decent all round package in terms of size, power, charge speed etc

Still think 45kWh is too small in 2020 for a family car, fine for Zoe, Corsa, Polo size car

Suppose you can get 58/77kWh if you need more range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Over in Goodwood for a few days and getting to see it up close and personal. They gave a talk and q&a session.
    Few things I picked up. The two bumps under the windscreen are part of the final product. Both will be black and the rest of the car will be your choice. Two of the colour choices will be the current camo colours, so that pinkish red or turquoise.
    The led VW sign isn't possible due to regulations. There will be led panels inside that can be customised to change colour.
    They are stating the inside will be as spacious as a Passat.
    The power options will be possible to upgrade due to an OTA software update. It will be a few K to purchase and can be done anytime after buying. They are trying to offer it as a weekend temporary update but they think it won't be possible due to insurance issues.
    Oh and the ID.R just broke the 20 year old hill record today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭CFC007

Not sure how I feel about VW talking about charging customers for a motor software upgrade. The ID3 first isn’t look too hot now given it’s going to be close to €40k starting price and probably that’s not for the max spec.

CFC007 wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about VW talking about charging customers for a motor software upgrade.

It's the new reality. I remember BMW charging well over the odds for remaps (at least a decade ago). And then there is Tesla. This will be generally accepted practice soon enough

It actually works out quite well for people in Ireland as you don't have to pay VRT on upgrades purchased later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭stesaurus

The first one of those bumps will also be part of a frunk to hold your cables etc.

Then had to calm it down, it's 180bhp rear wheel drive as standard, letting it out with anything more to your average vw driver would be dangerous. I think 180 is still dangerous if your not used to it.
    I'll gladly pay to put it up to 200+, that's a lot of power through the back.
    Maybe the first will get free upgrades...those 20 inch wheels can handle a bit more than 180.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Over in Goodwood for a few days and getting to see it up close and personal. They gave a talk and q&a session.
    Few things I picked up. The two bumps under the windscreen are part of the final product. Both will be black and the rest of the car will be your choice. Two of the colour choices will be the current camo colours, so that pinkish red or turquoise.
    The led VW sign isn't possible due to regulations. There will be led panels inside that can be customised to change colour.
    They are stating the inside will be as spacious as a Passat.
    The power options will be possible to upgrade due to an OTA software update. It will be a few K to purchase and can be done anytime after buying. They are trying to offer it as a weekend temporary update but they think it won't be possible due to insurance issues.
    Oh and the ID.R just broke the 20 year old hill record today

F1 car from 98 would have easily beat it with better tyres, if you watch both vids the ID had so much better traction, while the F1 car lost traction everytime it accelerated, losing so much time

Still unbelievable from the ID, but the F1 car was ferocious

https://youtu.be/qP6oJGiX-Ds

q4fjSoB

Looks nice

Looks nice

q4fjSoB

• Advertisement

Advertisement