Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I can't see myself saving all that much.
    Current monthly's are 420€ with 80€ per month for fuel. so 500€ pm

ID.3 PCP offer is 495€ pm minus the 3 month payment offer.

You are right on the edge then, I can see why you are in a pickle.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I can't see myself saving all that much.
    Current monthly's are 420€ with 80€ per month for fuel. so 500€ pm

ID.3 PCP offer is 495€ pm minus the 3 month payment offer.

No savings, but if your heart says yes, then it kinda costs you nothing (no additional expense) to change.

What would an alternative cost? A petrol Golf for example. If you're going to change car regardless, and the monthly costs are the same, then I guess the ID3 is more appealing. If the alternatives are cheaper, you have to ask yourself do you want to pay the premium to own an ID3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

With most cars if you increase the price of the model in jumps of 7K you expect more power, range, equipment etc.
    With the ID3 1st you are only getting equipment upgrades, otherwise exactly the same car. So possibly after 3 years, or whatever, the two higher spec models may not be worth much more than the basic one.
    Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

eagerv wrote: »
    With most cars if you increase the price of the model in jumps of 7K you expect more power, range, equipment etc.
    With the ID3 1st you are only getting equipment upgrades, otherwise exactly the same car. So possibly after 3 years, or whatever, the two higher spec models may not be worth much more than the basic one.
    Just a thought.

Yup, that would be my concern. Just because you are prepared to get screwed on the extras doesn't mean that the market will agree with you in a few years.

Yup, that would be my concern. Just because you are prepared to get screwed on the extras doesn't mean that the market will agree with you in a few years.

I hope loads buy the Max version, would make a very nice upgrade to our Ioniq in a few years...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the current concencus, buy, hold or tap out?

All depends on price to change, calling into dealer on Monday all going well.
    I like the car, ticks all the boxes for us, save for a few extras that I think we could live without on the basic model.
    We would rarely need to fast charge, we live in rural southeast, most of our regular long runs would be Cork or Dublin Airports, both about 300km return trips. Ionity makes Dublin and beyond easy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

what else is there for ~34k? not much.

egolf - fantastic car but old technology and not enough range

top versions of e208, ecorsa, mini, zoe almost the same price and much smaller and slower - and not for me

leaf 40 slightly bigger but shorter range and not the best battery tech and chademo
    leaf 60 over 40k? lol

ioniq 38 is more than this? joke really

esoul more expensive also and not a fan of design

kona (way too small) and eniro - i dont like SUV's and too expensive

tesla out of my price range

so i think i will stick with cheapest id3 first. apr 4.9% isn't great but all other manufactures do not offer much better for electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Havent had a conversation yet with the dealer but unless there are some really good trade-in offers being made to sweeten the deal I think it will be a no from me.

Coming from a 181 PCP Highline Passat, went into it with full deposit so monthly repayments are low at just over 300€. Low enough mileage so fuel costs would be ~€100pm so even taking fuel savings into account I think it would end up costing more per month on the ID.3 and I would be losing some of the options I have on the Passat (along with a smaller car but that was always going to be the case!)

BTW is it just me or anyone else think having wireless phone charging only coming on the Max is poor. I think majority of people looking to buy new EVs are some way into tech and almost certainly have a phone which supports wireless charging. Its the small things like this that put me off the whole thing :-) I havent seen it mentioned but anyone know does the ID.3 support wireless Apple CarPlay ? Maybe that would explain if you need a cable anyway to use CarPlay/Android Auto there is limited benefit in the wireless charging :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The Id.3 has wireless CarPlay. A charger costs 10-20 on amazon. Very annoying they don’t include it. iPhones will probably be portless in a year or two

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get too caught up on the charger I don't know of any car manufacturer keeping up with mobile manufacturers, my phone takes a 35kw charger at present and if I upgrade to the new model it's a 65kw, that's a full battery in about 15 minutes.
    Cars are still only about 10kw.
    I'd change phone to something with a decent battery and warp charging rather than depend on the car charger.

DriveSkill wrote: »

BTW is it just me or anyone else think having wireless phone charging only coming on the Max is poor. I think majority of people looking to buy new EVs are some way into tech and almost certainly have a phone which supports wireless charging. Its the small things like this that put me off the whole thing :-) I havent seen it mentioned but anyone know does the ID.3 support wireless Apple CarPlay ? Maybe that would explain if you need a cable anyway to use CarPlay/Android Auto there is limited benefit in the wireless charging :-(

Both our present cars have wireless charging and to be honest is one of the least used extras by us. So wouldn't be over worried not having on ID3. I don't like phone wires, but on our ICE they are conveniently hidden from behind so phone charging faster and more reliably when using Android Auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

I have to say that I'm starting to eye up the forthcoming Hyundai NE. The downside is that it's not out for probably at least another year but it will put serious pressure on the ID.3, being so similar in overall specs (and in some respects possibly a lot better), but Hyundai surely wont repeat the same mistakes that VW has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

iirc, you are a Golf GTi owner... yes?

Presumably performance/handling/0-100 is going to be key to you.

The 1st edition with the upgraded charging and power output puts it nicely in line with your GTi.... off the line I'd imagine the ID.3 would kick its ass (you cant compare bhp)?

After that its down to preference on spec but at €34k its decent value. Not so much on the higher trim levels so if you want one of those higher trim levels I'd hold off and wait for VW to start discounting... my guess is they will need to at some point.

How much is an equivalent GTi?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I wouldn't get too caught up on the charger I don't know of any car manufacturer keeping up with mobile manufacturers, my phone takes a 35kw charger at present and if I upgrade to the new model it's a 65kw, that's a full battery in about 15 minutes.
    Cars are still only about 10kw.
    I'd change phone to something with a decent battery and warp charging rather than depend on the car charger.

So I guess depends on the usecase but to me warp charging is less important, happy to let my phone charge fully overnight while I sleep. Point is if I'm heading out for a day I want to use the phone for Apple CarPlay/spotify etc while I drive and not arrive with a half drained battery and be looking for a charger or end up with a dead phone on the drive home.

The ID.3 is a brand new car and in my view should be "future-proofed" to a certain extent - wireless charging for devices is the future for most. The fact that it is called out as a feature in the top spec implies that they see it as something that adds value and can be charged for.

At least they have put in USB-C I guess and not standard USB (although I would argue that will cause its own issues for some people as probably less people overall with USB-C chargers than wireless charging!)

Overall its a small point on the overall car but design decisions like this annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

What is ID plan? Seems the same as PCP but with 50% vs 30% estimated residual? Can you hand the car back with say 60km after three years and walk away?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Casati wrote: »
    What is ID plan? Seems the same as PCP but with 50% vs 30% estimated residual? Can you hand the car back with say 60km after three years and walk away?

Pretty much, it's a PCP where you pay 0 deposit and expect to have 0 equity at the end. It's more similar to a lease plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

liamog wrote: »
    Pretty much, it's a PCP where you pay 0 deposit and expect to have 0 equity at the end. It's more similar to a lease plan.

Sounds interesting- guess they are not calling it a lease as a way to avoid charging Vat.

So basically 700 quid a month to have a max on the drive- not cheap but a lot cheaper than lease deals I’ve seen with say the Kona or Mode 3.

Diesel for 20,000km in a new Golf doing 5.4 / 100km will cost you about 130 a month, servicing probably and extra 10 a month.

You’d probably get a new Golf 2.0 TDI with the 190bhp engine in high spec for 560 a month so it seems they have priced the monthly to be about the same for diesel inc fuel vs ev

pdpmur wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm starting to eye up the forthcoming Hyundai NE. The downside is that it's not out for probably at least another year but it will put serious pressure on the ID.3, being so similar in overall specs (and in some respects possibly a lot better), but Hyundai surely wont repeat the same mistakes that VW has made.

Are Hyundai going the same road as Kia with the 800v battery charging at 270kW?

Interesting times ahead from the Korean sister companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Are Hyundai going the same road as Kia with the 800v battery charging at 270kW?

From what I have read, it will have 800v charging capacity at up to 200kW peak. But as yet nothing seems to have been confirmed by Hyundai.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    iirc, you are a Golf GTi owner... yes?

Presumably performance/handling/0-100 is going to be key to you.

The 1st edition with the upgraded charging and power output puts it nicely in line with your GTi.... off the line I'd imagine the ID.3 would kick its ass (you cant compare bhp)?

After that its down to preference on spec but at €34k its decent value. Not so much on the higher trim levels so if you want one of those higher trim levels I'd hold off and wait for VW to start discounting... my guess is they will need to at some point.

How much is an equivalent GTi?

Your probably looking at 50k for similar GTI if you go auto and a few extras, completely different animal though.
    The ID3 wins the 0 to 60 kilometers dash but can't hold in after that.
    I assume the ID will be a bit boaty in comparison but still handle good, it'll be more sedated than the GTI but that's ok it'll probably lower my heat rate. That kind of take off in a RWD should bring a smile, I hope it's not as skittish as the RWD 3 series Tesla on the road.

1st looks good no need to plus or Max it and lose some range, this could be the next Golf and it definitely could be the next GTI with a sporty front bumper. Would be pretty cool if they offer a GTI software upgrade for the 1st in the next 12mts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Your probably looking at 50k for similar GTI if you go auto and a few extras, completely different animal though.
    The ID3 wins the 0 to 60 kilometers dash but can't hold in after that.
    I assume the ID will be a bit boaty in comparison but still handle good, it'll be more sedated than the GTI but that's ok it'll probably lower my heat rate. That kind of take off in a RWD should bring a smile, I hope it's not as skittish as the RWD 3 series Tesla on the road.

1st looks good no need to plus or Max it and lose some range, this could be the next Golf and it definitely could be the next GTI with a sporty front bumper. Would be pretty cool if they offer a GTI software upgrade for the 1st in the next 12mts.

Expectaions a bit high man, it aint a Tesla

Its 1800kg with 200bhp, a GTD would walk away past 60, never a mind GTi

It will be similar to a Kona EV and my old diesel Fabia is quicker than that past 60mph

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Would be pretty cool if they offer a GTI software upgrade for the 1st in the next 12mts.

Extremely unlikely something like that will happen. Only Tesla have offered something like that, it's unique.

It suggests VW are holding something back as it is.

JPA wrote: »
    Extremely unlikely something like that will happen. Only Tesla have offered something like that, it's unique.

It suggests VW are holding something back as it is.

This is still VW we're talking :D
    They've registered GTX as the ID GT line. The ID.3 will eventually have a dual motor GTX version, but I expect it's at least 3 years out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

liamog wrote: »
    This is still VW we're talking :D
    They've registered GTX as the ID GT line. The ID.3 will eventually have a dual motor GTX version, but I expect it's at least 3 years out.

Yes, but it will have different parts, a quite different car.

JPA wrote: »
    Yes, but it will have different parts, a quite different car.

Yes, I was agreeing with you, they've previously indicated that only AWD ID's will gain a GT version, that's why the ID.4 will have GTX, but the ID.3 won't for a while.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Expectaions a bit high man, it aint a Tesla

Its 1800kg with 200bhp, a GTD would walk away past 60, never a mind GTi

It will be similar to a Kona EV and my old diesel Fabia is quicker than that past 60mph

So your saying a fabia diesel will be better at overtaking than this, would certainly make me rethink.
    Really need to see a proper review...a lot of unknowns.

So your saying a fabia diesel will be better at overtaking than this, would certainly make me rethink.
    Really need to see a proper review...a lot of unknowns.

Oh please. You just need to learn who to believe. Those who drive EVs, or those who drive Fabia diesels.

The Niro is fantastic for overtaking, with huge pick-up from 60 to 100kmh and beyond. Fabia diesels are what we are overtaking. :D

Just watched a Polo GTI smoke a BMW i3. How quicker is this than an i3..?

Hard to get decent pictures of the moonstone..here's a raw one and it doesn't look bad.

104533349-2941151895933745-8717665862067444709-n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Just watched a Polo GTI smoke a BMW i3. How quicker is this than an i3..?

Hard to get decent pictures of the moonstone..here's a raw one and it doesn't look bad.

104533349-2941151895933745-8717665862067444709-n.jpg

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7138-5481.htm

Polo Gti with dsg is a nippy car, 1200kg/200bhp is nice, i3 has no chance at motorway speed against one

i3 with its 170bhp beats 300kg heavier Kona/eNiro off the line up to 80mph from vids I have seen

ID3 has similar power and weight to those 2, i'd expect i3 to beat it up to 80mph as well, underrated car the i3

We have 2 Kona EVs in work and up to motorway speed its very quick, after that a good diesel is a match for it, from my experience.

Advertisement