Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

yer man! wrote: »
    Been tracking these cars for a while now and checked to see what they will cost here in The Netherlands, €38000 for the ID.3 1st, the cheapest one :-(

The grant is only €4000 here, Ireland is getting a fairly good deal with the ~€34k price on the same model. Will probably still buy one in a few years anyway, but still.

Isn’t the €38k excluding the additional €4K grant the Dutch government just announced? Not sure but if the grant comes off then it would be €34k in Netherlands as well. I think the dealer/VW isn’t allowed to reflect this in the price as you have to privately apply and there is a limited amount of grants available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

flyguy wrote: »
    Isn’t the €38k excluding the additional €4K grant the Dutch government just announced? Not sure but if the grant comes off then it would be €34k in Netherlands as well. I think the dealer/VW isn’t allowed to reflect this in the price as you have to privately apply and there is a limited amount of grants available.

Really!? I didn't know this, I thought they would display the best case pricing on the website, hence vanaf (from) 38k I just figured the 4k grant was a BPM (VRT) refund and that was it. I need to look into this more, I've been mostly tracking the car status through Boards.ie for the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I’m not 100% either, but there’s an additional €4K available since this month. The start price was always €38k and wasn’t updated since the new grant so I’d say it still comes off. As I wrote there are limited grants available so there’s no guarantee you’ll get one (runs per calendar year). For this year there are 2500 grants available for new cars (and some more for used EV). They may not run out too quick as per usual sensible approach only full EV eligible for grant (nothing for hybrids) and I think only for private purchases (or lease).
    More details (in Dutch) here: https://www.anwb.nl/auto/elektrisch-rijden/subsidie-elektrische-autos

I’ve been looking here as well for updates on the ID.3 as I was supposed to be back in Ireland around this time so pre-ordered one in Ireland. Covid put a hold on those plans so will very likely not go ahead with the order, as not planning to stay long term in NL won’t be ordering one here either. Shame... maybe an ID.4 1st...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Irishjg wrote: »
    Back on topic ... On the VW.ie website it states the ID3 GVW is 2260 Kgs. I’m presuming they actually meant GVWR ( rated maximum ) rather than unladen weight. If so, does anyone know what the unladen weight actually is. Otherwise if this is the unladen weight the car is one heavy bugger.

Found this, it's got the proper weights and city range..

105680712-10222710779096347-5592347273466363051-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That’s a fairly high Topfart to be fair.....

• Advertisement

I assume city driving is probably anything under 60km/h, school run, nipping to the shops etc not necessarily in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Found this, it's got the proper weights and city range..

105680712-10222710779096347-5592347273466363051-o.jpg

Decent specs all round, 35mins charge time at 5-80% is about 75kWh average

Good acceleration

Same as i3 up to 60 km/h

Should have good overtaking power, 80 - 120 km/h for i3 is low 4s, this should be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

I assume city driving is probably anything under 60km/h, school run, nipping to the shops etc not necessarily in the city.

Looks like a lot of our rural roads where there is a max speed limit of 80km/h but where in reality you would rarely get much over 60km/h.
    I love the way many people say EVs are only useful for city driving. IMO they are probably equally suited to the country,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

eagerv wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of our rural roads where there is a max speed limit of 80km/h but where in reality you would rarely get much over 60km/h.
    I love the way many people say EVs are only useful for city driving. IMO they are probably equally suited to the country,

I find EVs well suited to our rural roads. The smooth acceleration out of corners makes them quite fun to drive. City driving can basically be translated as "not motorway", and to be honest, longer range cars such as the ID.3 mitigate that problem almost completely

liamog wrote: »
    I find EVs well suited to our rural roads. The smooth acceleration out of corners makes them quite fun to drive. City driving can basically be translated as "not motorway", and to be honest, longer range cars such as the ID.3 mitigate that problem almost completely

Even our humble Ioniq 28 I feel is well suited to rural driving, where you can exploit its' efficiency.

• Advertisement

Even our humble Ioniq 28 I feel is well suited to rural driving, where you can exploit its' efficiency.

I'm glad you think the range is long enough, a 400km round trip without charging should be possible with a mix of motorway thrown in would you agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I drove over the Alps in an i3, the instant power and re gen braking made the mountain roads an absolute breeze.

Coincidentally I had a brand new AUDI A6 45 TDI QUATTRO for the weekend and found it absolutely terrible to drive (in comparison to the i3)

Terrible turbo lag, instant power is not there at all.

I can't go back to ICE now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm glad you think the range is long enough, a 400km round trip without charging should be possible with a mix of motorway thrown in would you agree...

That does not seem possible with 15.5 kWh/100km, 6.5 km/kWh which is reported. Possibly if you ran it right down to zero.
    We'll have to wait for some good tests to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

redcup342 wrote: »
    I had a brand new AUDI A6 45 TDI QUATTRO for the weekend and found it absolutely terrible to drive (in comparison to the i3)

Terrible turbo lag, instant power is not there at all.

I can't go back to ICE now :pac:

You'd probably be ok with a petrol car with a big V8 petrol engine (normally breathing) and an auto box. These are getting very rare now

Go back to a small turbo diesel engined car (or even petrol) and you suffer

Most EVs are heavy, but with a very low centre of gravity and with relatively soft suspension. Ioniq is all that and because of it, it's excellent on country roads. From a comfort point of view, not so much from a drivers point of view flicking it around hairpins. I suspect cars like the i3 and the ID.3 with their RWD would beat it there :D

JPA wrote: »
    That does not seem possible with 15.5 kWh/100km, 6.5 km/kWh which is reported. Possibly if you ran it right down to zero.
    We'll have to wait for some good tests to come out.

I've a regular run that includes 200km motorway, and another 100km of mixed. I'm hoping it would be able for it. Also another regular spin I do only has a 22kw charger where I'd like to refill but it's in a senic location so don't mind leaving it there for a bit and going for a walk.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Why did buy my Ioniq (first EV)?
    Because I did the math and identified it would cost us the same per month as the cheaper ICE car we were going to buy.

Why did I buy the e-Up?
    I really enjoyed the performance at street legal speeds, I've had as much fun driving off from traffic lights and nipping around the local roads in the Ioniq that I figured EVs were just better cars.
    That's the reason I'm upgrading to the Mini, it's even more fun. Our other car will be a SEAT el-born, the ID.3 pre-bookers event made wifey want an ID.3 instead of the e-Niro, but she wants the sexier Spanish body!

Mini range is meant to be terrible going by the reviews...

Mini range is meant to be terrible going by the reviews...

Range isn't the only reason to buy a car, it's just one of many factors. 200km is plenty for my needs, the El-born will cover our long distance journeys.

200km is very limited, I like the mini rented a convertible one twice while on Italian holidays and enjoyed flying around the mountains in it. There not an expensive car to fuel, I'd find it hard to justify one with limited capabilities, I'm not buying it but it's worth thinking about the next chap all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Define 'terrible'?

220km for me is on the verge of perfect.

Can always slum it in my wife's Skoda if needed!

Well there you go, you need a spare car for when you need a car. For me 200km is no use, I'd worry about resale value as it's going to have limited appeal over a standard mini.
    The ID I can get to most city's in Ireland and back again without needing a charge. Suppose if you live in the city and do limited miles it'll be fine but it's still a lot of money to have tied up in a car for pottering around in when you can pick up a used mini for buttons.

200km is very limited, I like the mini rented a convertible one twice while on Italian holidays and enjoyed flying around the mountains in it. There not an expensive car to fuel, I'd find it hard to justify one with limited capabilities, I'm not buying it but it's worth thinking about the next chap all the same.

The point was not to get into a comparison of the ID.3 versus the Mini they are very different cars aimed at different parts of the market :D

The point I was making, is that people tend to buy their first EV for cost savings when it hit's a suitable "range". There are many stories of people buying a Leaf as a second car, and it very quickly becoming the primary car in the family. EVs are fun to drive and their is something addictive about the instant torque. You can of course get the same behaviour from an combustion engine car, but you tend to have to pay for the higher performance version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Mini EV weights 400kg less and will go like a scalded cat in any direction with that 184bhp motor

ID3 would feel like a boat in comparison

Good value too imo, only the S has comparable performance and thats more expensive, would love that Mini

Well there you go, you need a spare car for when you need a car. For me 200km is no use, I'd worry about resale value

Just the usual misconceptions from people with no experience of EVs (no offense!). I used Ioniq as our only family car for 3 years. And I think it's fair to say the car's resale value was exceptionally good (far better than any similar diesel or petrol car)

200km * 365 days is over 70k km per year. The Irish average car does about 16k km per year, over 70k km is a very rare exception. But obviously if you regularly need to do >160-170km of motorway driving, you need a car with more range (or depend on the public charging network, which is very poor in Ireland, so I wouldn't recommend it)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Ordered ID3 1st in Moonstone grey this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Ordered ID3 1st in Moonstone grey this morning.

looks like all ID3 1st in Ireland will be moonstone grey :)

I would hope for over 300km with a bit spare most of the year except for the very worst weather, where I would be quite happy to slow up a bit. Don't do much motorways not being blessed with them on the southern corridor!

Actually for me in the west of Co Wexford its almost the same distance going to Dublin via Gorey or Carlow so have a choice of Ionity stops. I fear I will not be using much of my free fast charging:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Well there you go, you need a spare car for when you need a car. For me 200km is no use, I'd worry about resale value as it's going to have limited appeal over a standard mini.
    The ID I can get to most city's in Ireland and back again without needing a charge. Suppose if you live in the city and do limited miles it'll be fine but it's still a lot of money to have tied up in a car for pottering around in when you can pick up a used mini for buttons.

If your going to another city just park at an 11kw charger at your destination, it'll be full from almost empty in 3 hours (you would rarely need that)

Charging is opportunistic, you can get by perfectly on 200km range, even here on the continent where the distances are much greater.

I would argue the Mini is much easier to live with than an E-Tron with it's 280/300 km range when you consider it's massive 95kWh battery and trying to charge the thing without having to rely on very high capacity rapid chargers.

7 kw AC Charging on the ID 3 is a bit of a mistake I would say, it'll be the same pain in the ass as the i-Pace. (You'll be relying on rapid chargers for long journeys)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

I guess anyone with sense would research a new car suited their needs before buying. So best of luck to all. For me this EV is similar in size to the golf I have, I travel 500km over 7days majority of the time. I can charge at home or work. Any other longer one of trips can be well planned with the range. Plus I find the price quite good for an EV of this level in size/range/spec.

Advertisement