Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ordered ID3 1st in Moonstone grey this morning.

Congrats.
    Any idea from the dealer how ordering is going, popular colour choices, spec choices, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

If you were planning on getting one of these for start 2021 would you need to order now, or is it expected there be plenty available by then?
    Also these 1st edition models, are they expected to transfer over to the "standard" ID3 naming convention at some time? Will there be a change in add-ons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Well there you go, you need a spare car for when you need a car. For me 200km is no use, I'd worry about resale value as it's going to have limited appeal over a standard mini.
    The ID I can get to most city's in Ireland and back again without needing a charge. Suppose if you live in the city and do limited miles it'll be fine but it's still a lot of money to have tied up in a car for pottering around in when you can pick up a used mini for buttons.

That's a bit of a nonsense statement - you only need another car for the rare occasion you might consider doing a journey that long - which in the case of most people is almost never, though clearly that's not the case for you. And you don't have to have a spare car, you can easily just stop at a charger half way.

I don't have an aeroplane sitting in the driveway in case I need to get to another country, why waste money and compromise on other features and performance to ensure a car will get me to the opposite coast, which I'd do far less often than I'd travel abroad.

The mini is pretty much perfect for what it is for. Most Minis probably don't belong to one-car households as it is due to the small boot space and lack of rear passenger space. They're not practical cars in many circumstances, but they are excellent as a driving experience and for the convenience of getting around town, squeezing into tight parking spaces and all the rest. The ID3 is not really comparable because it's a bigger car with more doors for a start, the range isn't really the thing that differentiates them.

lafors wrote: »
    If you were planning on getting one of these for start 2021 would you need to order now, or is it expected there be plenty available by then?
    Also these 1st edition models, are they expected to transfer over to the "standard" ID3 naming convention at some time? Will there be a change in add-ons?

Just my guess, but will be interesting to see what actually happens:

VW will eventually sell their total production of the 1st with possibly some good deals available on the max and Plus. (Overpriced IMO atm)
    Production then will turn to a lower sized battery option with price around 30K with a basic spec, steel wheels, non leather wheel etc. Various packages would then allow for a good spec at around 34 -35K. Or individual extras to make the car you want. And if you want the mid size (present) battery have it as a 3-4K extra.

Just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

eagerv wrote: »
    Just my guess, but will be interesting to see what actually happens:

VW will eventually sell their total production of the 1st with possibly some good deals available on the max and Plus. (Overpriced IMO atm)
    Production then will turn to a lower sized battery option with price around 30K with a basic spec, steel wheels, non leather wheel etc. Various packages would then allow for a good spec at around 34 -35K. Or individual extras to make the car you want. And if you want the mid size (present) battery have it as a 3-4K extra.

Just a guess

Was told by dealer that max is not going into production until October and it will be December before any are delivered, so I wouldn't be hoping for any price reductions there. Also the configurator for the regular cars is going live in about 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Congrats.
    Any idea from the dealer how ordering is going, popular colour choices, spec choices, etc?

No exact figures, sounded like there was a good number of prebookers on their books. But they’re not queuing up outside just yet. I believe there are two plus versions ordered before me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

quokula wrote: »
    That's a bit of a nonsense statement - you only need another car for the rare occasion you might consider doing a journey that long - which in the case of most people is almost never, though clearly that's not the case for you. And you don't have to have a spare car, you can easily just stop at a charger half way.

I think it's drunkmonkey's first EV. People tend to forget about range anxiety within the first few months. They are understandable fears based on the unfamiliar. I would never have bought an e-Up! with 80km/120km Winter/Range without driving the 160km/200km range Ioniq for 12 months.

To say I am slightly angry and disappointed is perhaps an understatement.

Had a call a few hours ago from my dealer to say that they are very sorry but all the 1st (Not Plus or Max) are sold out. This is after we agreed a deal and they asked for and received a deposit yesterday around lunch time. Unfortunately nothing yet in writing, that was supposed to be today.

They of course said I could change to a Plus if I wished otherwise they are trying to source extra cars and will get back to me asap.
    I suspect that they only put through my order sometime today, because yesterday there appeared to be no problem except your first choice of colour may not be available.
    This leaves a sour taste for me re VW. In all my dealings with garages over many years this is the first time something like this has happened.

Anyway wont let it ruin a beautiful day, out at the Saltee Islands doing a bit of WFB:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Had a call a few hours ago from my dealer to say that they are very sorry but all the 1st (Not Plus or Max) are sold out. This is after we agreed a deal and they asked for and received a deposit yesterday around lunch time. Unfortunately nothing yet in writing, that was supposed to be today.

They of course said I could change to a Plus if I wished otherwise they are trying to source extra cars and will get back to me asap.
    I suspect that they only put through my order sometime today, because yesterday there appeared to be no problem except your first choice of colour may not be available.
    This leaves a sour taste for me re VW. In all my dealings with garages over many years this is the first time something like this has happened.

Anyway wont let it ruin a beautiful day, out at the Saltee Islands doing a bit of WFB:)

Sorry to hear that. It's typical of the ordering process so far, VW Ireland not knowing whats going on. Did you receive an email to say your reservation was processed?

McHonda wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. It's typical of the ordering process so far, VW Ireland not knowing whats going on. Did you receive an email to say your reservation was processed?

Thanks, no email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Thanks, no email.

Jeez. Hope this will not happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My dealer has a white 1st on the way to sell. He was hoping I was interested but went moonstone. I think it'll be here before mine as he said it's already enroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks, no email.

Just checked I got an email 20mins ago to say sucefully registered.

My dealer has a white 1st on the way to sell. He was hoping I was interested but went moonstone. I think it'll be here before mine as he said it's already enroute.

They told me was being looked after centrally and all 50 of the 1st allocation have been sold, will wait and see what they come up with. Have calmed down a bit now:). Perhaps they are just pulling a fast one and trying to get rid of some of the Plus.

Perhaps it wasn't to be and I was meant for the Niro instead..

They told me was being looked after centrally and all 50 of the 1st allocation have been sold, will wait and see what they come up with. Have calmed down a bit now:). Perhaps they are just pulling a fast one and trying to get rid of some of the Plus.

Perhaps it wasn't to be and I was meant for the Niro instead..

Sorry to hear that, it must suck when you've waited over a year.

Prob. a bit unfair to blame VW when a rake of people put down plus or max last November and then switched to 1st at last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

If VW hadn’t put such a large price gap between the lower and medium spec they’d have more uptake on the mid spec. How can they justify massive difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Prob. a bit unfair to blame VW when a rake of people put down plus or max last November and then switched to 1st at last minute.

This is definitely the biggest issue and it’s going to cause mayhem. I don’t think we had a single pre booker pick the the basic last year, now it’s pretty much all the basic.

Which isn’t the pre bookers fault either.

Not sure I agree with your second part, I am trying to remember exactly what I said when I got the call a long time ago. IIRC they asked which model I would prefer and I did not give them a definitive answer. I said it would be down to pricing and would prefer a higher spec if pricing ok, otherwise the normal 1st. And when I started my dealings with my local VW garage last week I made it clear it was the ordinary 1st I was interested in.

Not sure I agree with your second part, I am trying to remember exactly what I said when I got the call a long time ago. IIRC they asked which model I would prefer and I did not give them a definitive answer. I said it would be down to pricing and would prefer a higher spec if pricing ok, otherwise the normal 1st. And when I started my dealings with my local VW garage last week I made it clear it was the ordinary 1st I was interested in.

Yes, I guess, though the prices bandied about here at the time were ~46 for plus and ~40 for 1st, about the time Unkel cashed in his deposit, so they actually came in quiet a bit cheaper, than expected when people were making those choices. Either way it was VWs job to manage the production schedules not us. I wasn't victim blaming either, so sorry, I came across too strong there. I didn't make a choice as the same as you, how could I with out final prices.

Perhaps I am just being naive, but when you get a call telling you you have being successful and asking for a deposit to clinch the deal, which I did, you expect to get the car? Short of shaking hands which is hard to do over the phone..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I had put my preference in the form sent by a dealer as the 1st back in September 2019.

I had put my preference in the form sent by a dealer as the 1st back in September 2019.

That would really suck if you don't get what you want, they gave a month window and never indicated that it would be like getting tickets for a final.

I thought I only got a phone call, don't remember any form but could be wrong. Will check when home.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

The way this is looking, I'd say VW will have to discount the Plus's to get them on the road...... price differential right now is just too much.

I thought I only got a phone call, don't remember any form but could be wrong. Will check when home.

I got a form I think directly from VW and a call from the dealer separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The First is the only one that's decent value for money (and coming in cheaper than expected). Of course a lot of people are going to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Why is it the ID.3 First the ONLY decent value for money when the competition is close to the 40k mark?

I understand there’s 7k between the basic and the Plus, but I’d consider the basic to be extremely good value for money and the Plus priced with the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

L-M wrote: »
    Why is it the ID.3 First the ONLY decent value for money when the competition is close to the 40k mark?

He didn't mention any competition though :confused:.

It's decent value for money.

Full stop.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

L-M wrote: »

I understand there’s 7k between the basic and the Plus, but I’d consider the basic to be extremely good value for money and the Plus priced with the competition.

VW Ireland has an opportunity to take a large slice of EV sales with this car. It would appear from the reports on this forum they cannot supply enough cars at the lower price point. It’s a far stretch for most people to accept paying an extra 7K for a few extras. I’d expect to pay that much extra for the longer range 77kw version coming down the line. Not for a reversing camera a few other gimmicks added to the first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Irishjg wrote: »
    VW Ireland has an opportunity to take a large slice of EV sales with this car. It would appear from the reports on this forum they cannot supply enough cars at the lower price point. It’s a far stretch for most people to accept paying an extra 7K for a few extras. I’d expect to pay that much extra for the longer range 77kw version coming down the line. Not for a reversing camera a few other gimmicks added to the first.

They were never going to blow the field away with the limited edition 1st models. The real test is if they can make the series production available in bulk for January deliveries.

Advertisement