Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MarkN wrote: »
    I'd say 202 plates will see some arriving for test drives.

Is that more than an educated guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is that more than an educated guess?

Local dealer told me they would have a demo model at the same time as the customer cars (Sep) and would allow test drives BEFORE you sign the dotted line.

That might be just that dealer and not a general thing across dealers.

Its a good idea and they know they will sell their allocation of 1st editions anyway as they are only getting a few each.

So, the process for this dealer is to confirm your reservation (colour and trim) and thats what they will order for you... if you dont like the test drive you can walk away and get your deposit back and they will sell your order to someone else.

So the deposit is still refundable? I vaguely remember the dealer mentioning something.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

KCross wrote: »
    Local dealer told me they would have a demo model at the same time as the customer cars (Sep) and would allow test drives BEFORE you sign the dotted line.

That might be just that dealer and not a general thing across dealers.

Its a good idea and they know they will sell their allocation of 1st editions anyway as they are only getting a few each.

So, the process for this dealer is to confirm your reservation (colour and trim) and thats what they will order for you... if you dont like the test drive you can walk away and get your deposit back and they will sell your order to someone else.

That's interesting. Can you say what part of country is the dealer?

Re the trim, I take it your referring to at least the Plus version ... I think only one trim option on the standard?

So the deposit is still refundable? I vaguely remember the dealer mentioning something.

I think the €1k deposit was always refundable.

What might be different across dealers is what happens when you confirm your order and they have your car on a transporter in Germany.

What he told me (again just my local dealer) was that once you confirm your order with the dealer that VW Ireland refund the €1k and the deal is then between you and the dealer after that so the dealer can make up their own rules from that point.... my local dealer is saying they will give test drives first, which is how it should be.

• Advertisement

That's interesting. Can you say what part of country is the dealer?

Cork boy!

Re the trim, I take it your referring to at least the Plus version ... I think only one trim option on the standard?

3 trims for the 1st edition.... 1st, Plus and Max.

Maybe you are referring to choice of upholstery?.... no choice on that for the 1st.... plus and max do have a choice of upholstery.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Cork boy!

3 trims for the 1st edition.... 1st, Plus and Max.

Maybe you are referring to choice of upholstery?.... no choice on that for the 1st.... plus and max do have a choice of upholstery.

Fair play to ya!

Yeah, I was thinking of the interior spec. I'm in the market for a change (from a golf) at the moment and very tempted by the ID 3 1st, but don't fancy booking a car I haven't seen nor sat in. I'd be pretty confident about the exterior, range etc, but wary about the interior spec on the standard 1st. May be grand, but it's a lot to commit to and then maybe feel it's a bit like the old golf trend line when it arrives... If dealers are offering the back-out clause you mentioned that could change the picture a bit.

I'm guessing that the standard 1st may be all committed at this stage, does anyone know? Likely the Plus's will be a harder sell for the price differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fair play to ya!

Yeah, I was thinking of the interior spec. I'm in the market for a change (from a golf) at the moment and very tempted by the ID 3 1st, but don't fancy booking a car I haven't seen nor sat in. I'd be pretty confident about the exterior, range etc, but wary about the interior spec on the standard 1st.

And you are right to be. I was in the version on demo in Weston and imho the interior quality simply is not on a par with a Golf

This wouldn't be my highest priority, but if that might bother you, you should sit in one before you commit to buying

I'm guessing that the standard 1st may be all committed at this stage, does anyone know? Likely the Plus's will be a harder sell for the price differential.

You can still reserve via the vw website. Whether that means you will still get the 1st trim level or not I dont know.

I think, based on a few dealers I've spoken to, each dealer is getting an allocation of each trim level. So, a bigger dealer cant go ahead and sell 50 of the cheap model and leave everyone else with the expensive ones.

I'd suggest you call your local dealer and see what they say. If they are willing to take an order from you you will need to put down the €1k on the VW website to get your 1st edition pre-bookers reservation number and that starts the process.

Can you just not walk into a dealer and put down a deposit they have some of their own for resale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just concerning a comment I made yesterday, am I right in assuming the following in relation to the Mode3 Type2 16A cable that the 1st comes with:

On any single phase supply such as home charge point or other AC charge point such as hotels etc the most the cable will be able to take is 3.7kW.

On any 3 phase supply such as type 2 charge points in towns etc the cable will take the most the car can take, ie 11kW.

Just to clarify, thanks.

eagerv wrote: »
    Just concerning a comment I made yesterday, am I right in assuming the following in relation to the Mode3 Type2 16A cable that the 1st comes with:

On any single phase supply such as home charge point or other AC charge point such as hotels etc the most the cable will be able to take is 3.7kW.

On any 3 phase supply such as type 2 charge points in towns etc the cable will take the most the car can take, ie 11kW.

Just to clarify, thanks.

Yes.... if its actually a 3-phase 16A cable they put in the boot.

I wouldnt assume anything though until you see one in an actual car though.

Yes.... if its actually a 3-phase 16A cable they put in the boot.

I wouldnt assume anything though until you see one in an actual car though.

Thanks, must bring my glasses:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Thanks, must bring my glasses:)

You'd think that as they have gone to the bother of putting in right hand drive for UK and Ireland, that they would put in the appropriate cable.

You'd think that as they have gone to the bother of putting in right hand drive for UK and Ireland, that they would put in the appropriate cable.

The same cable I think in the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

The same cable I think in the rest of Europe.

It would be fine on the mainland (Germany), as they normally have 3 phase electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It would be fine on the mainland (Germany), as they normally have 3 phase electricity.

Most if not all the Public Charging points from ESB and Tesla Destination chargers in Ireland are 11/22kw Three Phase no ?

I've fired off an email to VW Ireland to see if its a typo in the brochure or if they have even thought about it or know the difference..... good chance they dont understand the implications at all!

If they respond I'll post it.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Most if not all the Public Charging points from ESB and Tesla Destination chargers in Ireland are 11/22kw Three Phase no ?

Yes and you would get 11kW in that case but most people will be charging at home where that cable would only give you 3.7kW and on a 58kWh battery thats about 17hrs to charge the car!.... its not the appropriate cable to provide with the 1st edition, since it has 11kW as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Anybody try to cancel recently via the webpage ? Tried today several times but keep getting :

Your pre-order could not be cancelled.

We apologize. An error occurred while canceling your reservation. This could be for several reasons. Please try again to cancel the reservation or contact us .

Not going to go ahead at the moment but might still be an option as a 211.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

redcup342 wrote: »

Not all, the one closest esb to me is single phase.

Three phase 32a cables are noticably heavier too.

• Advertisement

I've fired off an email to VW Ireland to see if its a typo in the brochure or if they have even thought about it or know the difference..... good chance they dont understand the implications at all!

If they respond I'll post it.

Yes and you would get 11kW in that case but most people will be charging at home where that cable would only give you 3.7kW and on a 58kWh battery thats about 17hrs to charge the car!.... its not the appropriate cable to provide with the 1st edition, since it has 11kW as standard.

I suppose a problem if you have an untethered charge point, ours is tethered 32A. Also if we are going off to a hotel or wherever we would just throw the 32 A type 2 cable from our Ioniq in the boot.
    But it could add a lot of expense to others.
    Would the correct cable be thicker, not so easy to handle?
    What cable do Kia/Hyundai supply with their latest cars that handle 11kW AC?

From reading those threads they initially put in 16A cables too but when people complained they were given the 32A cable.

Personally, the weight wouldn’t bother me. It’s not like it’s massive weight. Much more important to get the fastest rate when you need it and with a 58kWh battery you need 7kW.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I suppose a problem if you have an untethered charge point, ours is tethered 32A. Also if we are going off to a hotel or wherever we would just throw the 32 A type 2 cable from our Ioniq in the boot.
    But it could add a lot of expense to others.
    Would the correct cable be thicker, not so easy to handle?

The one I got today was a 3 phase 32amp one handle is identical but cable is much thicker.

I still have my single phase one too.

First time ever buying a car this way, just about zero detail of exactly what we are getting. And the dealers aren't any the wiser.

Normally one would be looking up all the minutiae on youtube or where ever.
    At least the Tesla Model3 customers could check the same cars in other countries.

Perhaps we might be able to start ship watching soon. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mikeucc

The ID-3-1st product guide say that AC charging is 11KWH max, so a 32A charging cable will not make a difference over the 16A one provided
    I have also ordered one (The base entry model)

Charging Equipment
    » Three pin home socket charging cable,
    10A
    » Charging cable Mode 3 Type 2, 16 A
    » Battery charging capacity - max. 11kW
    AC, max. 100kW DC
    » 8 year battery warranty or 160,000km,
    which ever comes first
    » We Charge RFID card with One Year or
    2,000kWh free charging (up to the value
    of €600)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

mikeucc wrote: »
    The ID-3-1st product guide say that AC charging is 11KWH max, so a 32A charging cable will not make a difference over the 16A one provided
    I have also ordered one (The base entry model)

Charging Equipment
    » Three pin home socket charging cable,
    10A
    » Charging cable Mode 3 Type 2, 16 A
    » Battery charging capacity - max. 11kW
    AC, max. 100kW DC
    » 8 year battery warranty or 160,000km,
    which ever comes first
    » We Charge RFID card with One Year or
    2,000kWh free charging (up to the value
    of €600)

It will on a single phase supply at home - 230Vx1x16A=3.7kW vs 230Vx1x32A=7.4kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mikeucc

But is it even capable of taking 22 kW 400 V AC 32 A
    If I were to buy a 32A cable, would it make a difference say using the 22KWH esb chargers, or would it be stuck at 11KWH

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

mikeucc wrote: »
    But is it even capable of taking 22 kW 400 V AC 32 A
    If I were to buy a 32A cable, would it make a difference say using the 22KWH esb chargers, or would it be stuck at 11KWH

It will be stuck at 11kW as it will be limited by onboard charger. The main problem with 16A is that you will have 1/2 the charging speed on the single phase supply which is a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If you have a tethered home charge point, the 16a cable would only cause an issue at the less orthodox charging spots like a hotel. Any AC charge points which provide 22 kw are 3 phase, most ESB AC locations. Although I understand not all ESB AC spots are 3 phase or 22kw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It mostly depends on whether you go for a tethered charger at home. If you do, just stick with the 3 phase 16A cable for when you are out and about. If you go for an untethered charger then you really should upgrade to a 32A cable. It would then make sense to go for a 3 phase 32A cable so you don't have to carry around both of them.

Advertisement