Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mikeucc wrote: »
    But is it even capable of taking 22 kW 400 V AC 32 A
    If I were to buy a 32A cable, would it make a difference say using the 22KWH esb chargers, or would it be stuck at 11KWH

The only two EVs that can charge at 23kW AC are all Renault Zoes and early Teslas with the optional dual chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

mikeucc wrote: »
    But is it even capable of taking 22 kW 400 V AC 32 A
    If I were to buy a 32A cable, would it make a difference say using the 22KWH esb chargers, or would it be stuck at 11KWH

You want VW to provide a cable that gives you 7kW on single phase and 11kW on 3-phase. The only cable that will do that is a 3-phase 32A cable.

The one in the brochure is a 3-phase 16A cable so you only get 3.6kW at home (single phase) and 11kW when on an eCars charger (3-phase).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

JPA wrote: »
    If you have a tethered home charge point, the 16a cable would only cause an issue at the less orthodox charging spots like a hotel. Any AC charge points which provide 22 kw are 3 phase, most ESB AC locations. Although I understand not all ESB AC spots are 3 phase or 22kw.

Ah "if", this will be my first ev. From my current car use I will have to charge once or at most twice a week. For aesthetic reasons I'm planning on getting an untethered charger. I'd prefer not to have to buy a cable so that I can use this charger to it's full potential.

Ah "if", this will be my first ev. From my current car use I will have to charge once or at most twice a week. For aesthetic reasons I'm planning on getting an untethered charger. I'd prefer not to have to buy a cable so that I can use this charger to it's full potential.

And in your case I presume you will let the car go low and then fully charge it (well, to maybe 80% or something).... in which case you will be looking at 15hrs+ to get the car back to that level with the provided cable. Thats not good.

Its important you can charge the car within the night rate hours (9hrs).

Ultimately you want the least amount of hassle and as few cables as possible and the car should do what its marketing says it can do without you having to go out and buy a new cable..... ergo, VW should provide a 3-phase 32A cable with the 1st edition.... it covers all scenarios for all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Even if you are only charging once per week, you may wish to plug it in more often to avail of pre-heating in the colder months.

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    Even if you are only charging once per week, you may wish to plug it in more often to avail of pre-heating in the colder months.

I know in the Leaf you dont have to plug it in to remotely activate the heating. If you want timed cabin pre-heating you need it plugged in alright.

Hopefully the ID.3 can activate it without being plugged in, but who knows what VW will come up with on the app side since they are having software issues in that area.

KCross wrote: »
    I know in the Leaf you dont have to plug it in to remotely activate the heating. If you want timed cabin pre-heating you need it plugged in alright.

Hopefully the ID.3 can activate it without being plugged in, but who knows what VW will come up with on the app side since they are having software issues in that area.

I would still prefer to use my home electricity when pre-heating from home. Hope it will be a feature on the ID3 to pre-heat when away from home..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The e-Up (2014) has remote heating activation via the app, so I'd imagine the ID.3 is capable.

If I had an un-tethered home charge point and even if VW did supply a 3 phase 32A cable, I would probably still buy a cheap single phase 32A cable for convenience. Just keep it coiled up somewhere close by like in our utility room.

It would be some PITA to have to dry the car cable, coil up and put into its' bag often on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If I had an un-tethered home charge point and even if VW did supply a 3 phase 32A cable, I would probably still buy a cheap single phase 32A cable for convenience. Just keep it coiled up somewhere close by like in our utility room.

It would be some PITA to have to dry the car cable, coil up and put into its' bag often on a daily basis.

where best to get a cheap 32a cable (and would it still charge at 7kw?)

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

Yes would charge at 32A*230V= 7.4kW.

Don't know where to buy, but a search on this forum would probably be handiest way of checking.

Cyrus wrote: »

Phil in electricautos.ie will sort you out for one. Local business, trustworthy and not ripping you off. He charged me less for a custom made cable than anywhere I could find in the UK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ha, the bag gets used the first month or so then just left there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Ha, the bag gets used the first month or so then just left there

Ha, my missus (Blame her) is both house proud and car proud:)

Just concerning a comment I made yesterday, am I right in assuming the following in relation to the Mode3 Type2 16A cable that the 1st comes with:

On any single phase supply such as home charge point or other AC charge point such as hotels etc the most the cable will be able to take is 3.7kW.

On any 3 phase supply such as type 2 charge points in towns etc the cable will take the most the car can take, ie 11kW.
    I've fired off an email to VW Ireland to see if its a typo in the brochure or if they have even thought about it or know the difference..... good chance they dont understand the implications at all!

If they respond I'll post it.

The response I got was that they appreciated the feedback and that they were going to investigate 32A solutions.

No committment though and they didnt refute anything or say it was a typo so I'd say the current plan is to provide a 16A cable.

Sounds like they didnt understand the implications of it.

The response I got was that they appreciated the feedback and that they were going to investigate 32A solutions.

No committment though and they didnt refute anything or say it was a typo so I'd say the current plan is to provide a 16A cable.

Sounds like they didnt understand the implications of it.

Thanks for that, as I said previously suits me fine but not great for others.

Id say their (VW) "solution" is sell you one of their charge points..

That wont help though. A 3-phase charge point for home use is no good unless you have 3-phase in the first place.

That wont help though. A 3-phase charge point for home use is no good unless you have 3-phase in the first place.

No I meant their single phase ones, I think they are tethered with a 32A cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Thanks for that, as I said previously suits me fine but not great for others.

Reply I got via the Dealer.

“So the ID.3 16amp cable will only do the 3.7kw AC. The ID.3 1st Edition is of course capable of taking 11kW AC. But only from wallboxes that are either 7.4kW or 11kW that come with a tethered cable already. For instance the ID.Charger. or fast AC chargers with the cable attached.We are currently working on a way that customers can choose to purchase a 32amp cable as well as an accessory. This is a current work in progress”.

Reply I got via the Dealer.

“So the ID.3 16amp cable will only do the 3.7kw AC. The ID.3 1st Edition is of course capable of taking 11kW AC. But only from wallboxes that are either 7.4kW or 11kW that come with a tethered cable already. For instance the ID.Charger. or fast AC chargers with the cable attached.We are currently working on a way that customers can choose to purchase a 32amp cable as well as an accessory. This is a current work in progress”.

I wasn't wrong then:) but I wouldn't buy a 32A cable from them..

• Advertisement

In this day and age I’d tell them, no 32 amp cable no deal.

They should be providing a cable that can charge at max rate even a 16 amp 3 phase ffs.

How does this not surprise me. They'll probably charge EUR300 for the optional 32A cable :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    How does this not surprise me. They'll probably charge EUR300 for the optional 32A cable :D

Think of it as saving €300 if you don't need it :D

liamog wrote: »
    Think of it as saving €300 if you don't need it :D

Even if I didn't need it, I'd trust my negotiation skills to get one for free anyway and then I'd sell it on adverts for EUR150 :pac:

No, it really is taking the p1ss providing a mickey mouse 16 amp charging lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

unkel wrote: »
    The only two EVs that can charge at 23kW AC are all Renault Zoes and early Teslas with the optional dual chargers
    supposedly the e-Tron and I believe the Taycan can also do it?
    optional on the e-tron and last time I asked Audi Ireland about it they just looked at me as if I had 3 heads, so perhaps not available here :-)

View of the Max with the Plus wheels.
    Must say, the Moonstone is growing on me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqThIpJkXto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

qLWnu1k.jpg

Production at 1500 a day now

They'll be everywhere soon, overtaking Model 3 in no time

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Production at 1500 a day now

They'll be everywhere soon, overtaking Model 3 in no time

1500 per day is for MEB in general, I think it's ID.3, ID.4, Q4 E-Tron and El Born to be produced in Zwickau, apparently the Golf line has now been closed for them to do the upgrades over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

liamog wrote: »
    1500 per day is for MEB in general, I think it's ID.3, ID.4, Q4 E-Tron and El Born to be produced in Zwickau, apparently the Golf line has now been closed for them to do the upgrades over the summer.

Was thinking it was a bit high for now alright, but it is VW and they know how to mass produce

Impressive when an autogiants sets it mind to something

Advertisement