Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

eagerv wrote: »
    A list of Kerb weights of a few EVs.

i3 42kWh
    1345kg.
    Ioniq 28kWh
    1420kg.
    ID.3 58kWh
    1600kg.
    Model 3 54kWh-- 1645kg.
    Kona 64kWh
    1685kg.
    E-Niro 64kWh---- 1737kg.

and just to add t

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD 1847 KG (so 250KG more that the post suggested and than the ID3 albeit 4wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Ordered the plus with the gray metallic paint, got confirmation today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Was today the last day to convert the pre bookers deposit to an order?

Mr Q wrote: »
    Was today the last day to convert the pre bookers deposit to an order?

I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Ordered 1st edition aswell. How long does confirmation take? Is it via email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

heron_joe wrote: »

I got an email about the finance, otherwise I expect I would have got nothing.
    What spec and colour did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

rx8 wrote: »
    I got an email about the finance, otherwise I expect I would have got nothing.
    What spec and colour did you go for?

Went for entry level and Moonstone Grey. Hoping the non-metallic paint looks okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I bottled it on the moonstone and changed to manganese grey. Seen a huge amount of variations of moonstone over the last couple of weeks, seems very popular every manufacturer seems to have a shade of it.

heron_joe wrote: »

I replied to my dealer that the pcp and trade in figures were fine by me and then received an email from VW later in the day with congrats on being one of the first to order and blah blah blaa

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

It’s probably been mentioned here before, but if you want to get 7.4 kW (or higher depending on your charger) out of your home charger it’s a good idea to check you meter if it’s an old house. ESB are upgrading mine next week from 8 kVa to 12 kVa (12 kW total) to prevent throttling. I know night demand goes down but I do run few things overnight.. One other thing, we had electrical work done years ago and they wouldn't do it without a cert for the house re-wire before they connect the tails.

Also, to benefit from cheap night charging you’ll need to change your electricity plan to a day/night meter, although I’m still trying to work out if this is fully beneficial given the more costly day time rates…

Just some tips that might help others save time. Sorry if repost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Shango wrote: »
    It’s probably been mentioned here before, but if you want to get 7.4 kW (or higher depending on your charger) out of your home charger it’s a good idea to check you meter if it’s an old house. ESB are upgrading mine next week from 8 kVa to 12 kVa (12 kW total) to prevent throttling. I know night demand goes down but I do run few things overnight.. One other thing, we had electrical work done years ago and they wouldn't do it without a cert for the house re-wire before they connect the tails.
    can i ask how you went about that? i will also need to do the same when i switch to an ev in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Also, to benefit from cheap night charging you’ll need to change your electricity plan to a day/night meter, although I’m still trying to work out if this is fully beneficial given the more costly day time rates…

Just some tips that might help others save time. Sorry if repost.

day time rate is usually only marginally higher than the 24hr rate, its the standing charge that increases really.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    can i ask how you went about that? i will also need to do the same when i switch to an ev in the near future?

Contacted ESB domestic user section. Went from there. Sorry link: https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/increasing-decreasing-supply/domestic-user

Cyrus wrote: »
    day time rate is usually only marginally higher than the 24hr rate, its the standing charge that increases really.

You do a cost-benefit analysis yet? Thoughts on changing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You do a cost-benefit analysis yet? Thoughts on changing it?

if you do around 30% of your units at night it makes sense, i have an ev with a big battery and a heat pump so no issue :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Contacted ESB domestic user section. Went from there. Sorry link: https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/increasing-decreasing-supply/domestic-user
    was there a cost form coming 8kVA to the now standard 12kVa or is it the standard connection cost of just under 2k? wishful thinking on my part that it will be free:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The standing charge goes up about €50 per year and your day rate goes up about 1c/kWh.

If you have about average yearly consumption (<4000kWh) you need to use about 3kWh on average per night to break even.

When you have an EV charging at night (even once or twice a week) it pays to switch to night rate unless you are doing really low mileage.

e.g. If you have a 40kWh car that you charge once a week, thats still nearly 6 units a night... twice what you need to make it pay to switch and thats before you also add on things like your background load and any appliances that you can time shift to night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

One other thing, we had electrical work done years ago and they wouldn't do it without a cert for the house re-wire before they connect the tails.

Do you mind me asking how they knew that there was work done? Do they specifically ask or was it just clear from the fuse board that some major work had been done? I'd assume there's lots of uncertified DIY sockets/light fittings etc. around the country.

Redlim wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how they knew that there was work done? Do they specifically ask or was it just clear from the fuse board that some major work had been done? I'd assume there's lots of uncertified DIY sockets/light fittings etc. around the country.

The electrician has to provide a cert before the ESB will upgrade the connection. If he provides a cert and doesnt do the work and the house burns down, he is out of a job!

KCross wrote: »
    The electrician has to provide a cert before the ESB will upgrade the connection. If he provides a cert and doesnt do the work and the house burns down, he is out of a job!

Sorry I'm a bit dumb on this - when you say 'upgrade the connection' are you referring to upgrading from 8 kVa to 12 kVa as Shango was also discussing or upgrading by adding an EV charge point?

I'm already on 12kVa but bought this house so I'm not sure if everything in the house is fully certified. Just worried that something like this might delay installation of a charge point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Had the Night rate meter installed yesterday, took all of 10 minutes. Also got an RFID fob for the Easy-go charge points, and have the ESB card since last week. I wish that VW would get the car onto the SEAI site so I can get the Zappi installed. This car better not be delayed anymore or I'll freak ...:D

Sorry I'm a bit dumb on this - when you say 'upgrade the connection' are you referring to upgrading from 8 kVa to 12 kVa as Shango was also discussing or upgrading by adding an EV charge point?

Shango's comment was in relation to the "tails" which refers to the connection upgrade. I was replying on that basis.

So, if you want ESB to upgrade your connection you have to get an electricians cert to say the house is safe to take it.
    I'm already on 12kVa but bought this house so I'm not sure if everything in the house is fully certified. Just worried that something like this might delay installation of a charge point.

When your charge point installer looks at your wiring and runs some tests he may find issues that prevent him from adding a new 32A circuit to the house (regardless of whether you already have 12kVA or not) without other remedial work being done first. The older your house the more likely that is.

There is no way to know until you get the electrician to do a survey first.

Thank you KCross, that's really helpful. House was built in 2008 so hopefully no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thank you KCross, that's really helpful. House was built in 2008 so hopefully no issues.

Unlikely to have any problems with a house that new, ours was built 1990 and charge point installed no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has anyone got an insurance quote for one, have private insurance on current car but I'll be putting this through the business and axa don't do.

Any ideas how smart is the VW Lane Assist for the ID.3 on the 1st and 1st Plus? How would it compare with either of the Kia/Hyundai Lane Follow Assist or Lane Keep Assist systems? Will VW's version just bounce you between the lines similar to LKA or keep you centred like the LFA for 10-15 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Any ideas how smart is the VW Lane Assist for the ID.3 on the 1st and 1st Plus? How would it compare with either of the Kia/Hyundai Lane Follow Assist or Lane Keep Assist systems? Will VW's version just bounce you between the lines similar to LKA or keep you centred like the LFA for 10-15 seconds?

No idea, but I would hope it is as good as our classic Ioniq which has LKA and does a very good job if a little jerky at times. Almost as good as our Honda which also has LFA which keeps the lanes more smoothly but knocks off more often in poorer weather.

Has anyone got an insurance quote for one, have private insurance on current car but I'll be putting this through the business and axa don't do.

I called Aviva to see if there would be much of a change in premium coming from an end of life petrol that was 300 p.a. to insure. They didn't have the car on their system yet but told me to select e-golf as the model after referring my query higher up. They also said that the premium increase would only be about €30 for the remaining 6 months of the policy which was great to hear. All fully comp.

There havent been any test drives/reviews so no one really knows outside of VW but they do list different levels between standard and Max

For every ID.3 they list
    Lane keeping system “Lane Assist”

For the 1st max they list
    – Comfort drive “Travel Assist”, lane keeping system “Lane Assist” and “Emergency Assist”
    – Lane change assistant “Side Assist” and “Emergency Assist”

Impossible to really tell how good "Lane Assist" is based on that.
    i.e. Whats the difference between Lane Assist and Travel Assist?

We have to wait for reviews or our own test drives as it appears that customers will get the cars at the same time as everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Travel Assist was introduced in the recent Passat Refresh.
    As far as I'm aware it's lane keeping, plus acc, plus speed limit sign recognition and control of your set speed.

Emergency Assist, just brings the car to a gradual halt with the hazards on if the driver ignores enough prompts.

Advertisement