Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

1180181182183184186»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭gjim

You’re just being a pedantic nit. I bet you don’t use the “broader definition” of car when discussing motorways. I haven’t been following the earlier argument but can probably assume you were losing if all that remains of your point is that the word “grid” has broader meaning outside of the one commonly used when discussing electricity distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This is a thread about energy infrastructure, no?

All I did was point out that the electrical system every home, business and generator is connected to does not end at our borders anymore. Whether it's distribution grid, transmission grid or super grid, matters not one jot. We're part of the European grid unless our interconnectors are on outage.

Discussing a car and motorways is not a similar analogy. In the same way that a generator and circuits are not the same thing. A motorway and dual carriageway being part of the road network would be closer.

But I suppose it distracts from acknowledging the inaccuracies in your post about HVDC capabilities and inertia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Even if there are financial costs associated with moving to renewables and the technologies required to integrate them into a synchronous grid….we simply can't keep pumping out CO2 instead. That is not an option for future generations. The fossil fuel burning does not come at zero cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭gjim

All I did was point out that the electrical system every home, business and generator is connected to does not end at our borders anymore.

No, that's not at all what you did - if you had, who would have disagreed? You corrected someone's use of the term grid with a bunch of waffle about the term not meaning a synchronous grid.

I've no idea what points regarding energy infrastructure you are trying to make - maybe they're interesting? But I don't know since you seem more concerned with a futile attempt to redefine what is understood by the word "grid" in order to earn an interweb win in your mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Future fossil fuel costs will have to include increasingly expensive carbon credits and/or carbon sequestration etc.

Done properly they should include extraction emissions as things like tarsands are horribly inefficient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement