Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does Anyone know anything about the Allam cycle gas generators - randomly saw some stuff about it on you-tube , but it was about 5 years old ,

It's supposed to be a much much more efficient way of electricity while removing the carbon dioxide -

Just surprised ( from watching the videos) that it's not being touted everywhere as a planet saving tech .. !! A cheap way of backing up renewables without CO² emissions -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cos i live in the real world outside your greenwashed fairy land. Your ignorance of the best performing grids in the EU in terms of costs and carbon outputs makes a mockery of your BS on here.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/millions-offered-to-future-gas-plants-in-bid-to-meet-growing-demand-for-energy-41315167.html

I think were arguing the same side of the page here 😂😂😂

You're saying wind doesn't work because we have to build more gas fueled turbines..

Pro wind are saying because wind works and we're building more of it,so we need more gas turbines ,as back up ..

As a country we're trying to move to more electrified systems ( cars ,heating ect ) , which will need more electricity ...and more generating capacity ...

If I were building a new on shore wind farm tomorrow , how much state support would I get ? , Do I only get paid per unit of electricity produced ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

From BBC - [Australia's largest coal-fired power station will close seven years earlier than planned, as its operator says it is increasingly unable to compete with the "influx of renewables".

The 2.88 gigawatt Eraring plant is located in the Hunter region north of Sydney and operated by Origin Energy.

The plant will now close in 2025 and be replaced by a large-scale battery.]

More signs that both renewables and batteries are making coal uneconomic.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Did you actually read the article you posted?

If not, I draw your attention to this part

However, the multi-million-euro contracts on offer include generating plants that are not yet built and may struggle to get planning permission.

So as you live in the real world and not a green-washed fairy land, please explain how you preferred option of nuclear power stations will get planning permission?

In the real world I live in, the complexities of getting planning permission for nuclear would be 100 times harder than for gas.

Your real world is obviously different so you obviously have a cunning plan for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭gjim

You're paid per unit of electricity, from what I understand of the process. You'd have win at an RESS action where your bid includes a price per MWh and how much capacity you're proposing to provide. After all bids have been submitted and vetted, a settlement price is chosen so that all bids with a price per MWh below this "win". So say this RESS round is looking to dish out 1GW of on-shore wind, and it receives bids to build 4GW, then the settlement price will be chosen to ensure that there are only 1GW worth of winning bids - the winning bids will all have lower prices than any of the losing bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Electricity bill just landed. Its well up and 30% of it is made up of standing charge, vat and bloody public sector charge.

Am taxed to the neck when I get paid, and am taxed again on the services I cant manage without.

Well standing charge is supposed to go towards the meter and costs of providing the line - Vat is vat ( pure tax ) , and the public service levy is supposed to cover things like turf power stations ( now gone) and any extra for wind energy ..

That renewable part should drop significantly as wind should be cheaper than (currently ) very expensive gas -

As (if) established onshore wind continues to get cheaper (as it becomes more established ? And hopefully costs come down ? ) you should see you see the pso levy being roved from some of the wind energy , although it'll probably be replaced by levys for grid level batteries and off shore wind ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

More likely that on costs will go up to pay for subsidising complete nonsenses like solar. We are heading in the direction of the German model which has been huge taxes and levies to fund the cheap renewables, which of course end up being far more expensive for the consumer than conventional energy sources. The cheap lie.

I think if they're going to pay a subsidy for solar it should include an element of battery storage ,and not a straight pay per unit produced - ( which will be very heavily loaded towards midday especially on cheaper fixed arrays ) , as well as obviously very seasonal ...

But yeah , I wonder about the economics of large scale solar in Ireland - just because the panels are cheap ... the grid it's feeding isn't ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

Positive news, but in that article it says that 60% of Australia's power is generated by coal and the amount they export to China is horrendous. Their move from coal to their abundant and reliable solar supply is only happening because of the basic economics and not because of any leadership from Luddites like Morrison.

The Chinese stopped importing Aussie coal,as a punishment to Canberra , (there were ships full of it sitting off the Chinese coast ) , until the the "energy crisis" hit ,and they reversed that policy pretty quick..

Western Australia has stacks of natural gas , ( offshore ) , plenty of sunshine for solar and no shortage of wind ,

But don't mess with coal mining ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Red warning in Cork and Kerry from approximately 3 am.

I'm sure wind turbines be still operating till 2:30 am or so?

Anyone know what is the minimum wind velocity before wind turbines are stopped?

What now? You pay thousands for the meter and connection when its installed. If you live in a rural area and you need poles installed to get to you you pay loads for them too. The public service levy just gets hoovered up by an increasingly inefficient civil service.

Renewables wind, solar only work because they're massively subsidised.

Simple fact is 30% of the electricity bill is nonsense charges.

Renewables wind, solar only work because they're massively subsidised.

They work because the LCOE for those are wayyy below other generation options

Ah yes "green" wind energy.

Building massive wind turbines that self destruct when it gets too 'windy'

Plus they were built in a bog. Very green altogether.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LCOE is a strange way to price things because you can spread the cost over the whole life and can play around with inflation and interest rates. It benefits Nuclear and Hydro.

You can refurbish a wind farm for a fraction ofthe cost of building a new one. Spend a bit more and reblade the turbines with bigger/better blades and you could capture up to 20% more energy for 20 years. It would drastically reduce LCOE because you can spread costs over twice as long.

In the real world there is increasing opposition to the arrogant gallop of wind developers across large parts of rural Ireland,even a Green Party Senator recently objected to a windfarm in Clare

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/members-of-the-oireachtas-among-objectors-to-clare-wind-farm-674632

I think whats more interesting is the number of windfarm developments that are ending up in the High Court due to ABP and the Department of Energy failing to apply the proper EU directives on the likes of planning, habitats etc. This issue looks set to go offshore now with the government again ignoring our commitments at an EU level to designate the most biodiverse 30% of our offshore waters as MPA's. As for nuclear, a proper planning system would assess that on its own merits beyond the hypocrisy and hysteria of the Greenwash types - unfortunately we are not in that space atm but in any case new interconnectors to the continent will be supplying plenty of nuclear generation to keep the lights on here until the relevant government departments work out that our current energy policies are little more than a slow car crash on costs etc.

Its the inevitable consequence of developer driven greenwashed energy polices - its the same story in other EU countries that have gone down this route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's an old ham radio saying "if your mast survived the storm , it could have been taller" :pac:

The reason we we don't have wave power is that the cost of engineering a structure to survive the roughest weather is prohibitive. But as we move to more wind on the grid then it would make sense to try to havest the swell that comes in off the Atlantic after a storm. But storage is cheap so may not be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Ah ok thanks for that - so you don't have a plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How many wind turbines have fallen over so far?

The one that fell is one of 30 installed on the windfarm, and has been in operation since 2003. It does not appear to be a real problem - no injuries or collateral damage was suffered anywhere.

I'm with Electric Ireland. Waiting for the next bill to arrive.

For your bill. Was the cost per unit significantly higher for the current bill compared to the previous bill?

The different tax percentages change?

Thanks

Mod: @Birdnuts - Do not attack the poster. Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I went through my bills yesterday to see hat the rate was, July was 0.17, then September was a split between 0.17 and 0.19, now January's is 0.21 a unit, usage spiked in Dec/Jan which gave me a €500 whopper compared to a €190 in July.

Almost 25% increase in unit cost in 6 months is a hell of a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A bit of a setback for one of the potential gas generators and a reminder that although the rules to be a part of an auction require a planning application, nothing is guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Ya people are not happy if they can see a turbine but are happy enough to breath carcinogens from historical energy generation sources, classic Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Advertisement